Start by marking “No Date for Gomez!” as Want to Read:
No Date for Gomez!

No Date for Gomez! (NoHope universe)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A novella set in the multiple award winning 'NoHope universe'

Gomez has never been on a date. In his 27 years on the planet, he’s only ever had almost-dates and almost-relationships. Whenever he goes out with a girl, circumstances always conspire to downgrade the date to a mere meet-up. But when a mysterious freckled girl with a dark secret moves into his building, he'll ha
Published April 9th 2015 by No Hope Media (first published December 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about No Date for Gomez!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Date for Gomez!

Dina
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Freebie available at the author's website
Gomez's world is still as quirky and funny as ever! I really enjoyed this short story - or novelette, as Mr. Parke calls it - and I hope Gomez keeps writing his blog. If he writes it, I'll read it. :)
Gregg
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading No Hope for Gomez! and Random Acts of Senseless Kindness, I have formed my own mental images of who will play the characters in the movie version:

Gomez: John Cusack Hicks: David Hyde Pierce Homeless man: Willem Dafoe

Christine: Monica Bellucci Warren: Brian Posehn Sombrero guy: Johnny Depp

Antiques Expert: Christopher Walken Director: Patrick Coyle (Into Temptation 2009)
Francine
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, quirky
Having not read any of Mr. Parke's previous novels I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't be able to just jump into this one without knowing anything about Gomez. By the first day Gomez has written about on his blog/diary I was laughing far too much to stop reading and honestly didn't care that I had not read others, only wondering how I could acquire more of Mr. Parke's works.
This is my ind of book. Quirky, delightful, snarky....everything that I enjoy in a person is what Gomez and the other ch
Hira
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In a perfect world, I'd have a job shadowing Gomez as he goes about his life. I'd sit outside the window of his Antique's store, and soak in the incredible being that is Gomez, and witness his witty banter with Hicks. I happen to be someone who feels the need to read things in chronological order, who feels the great urge to start at the 'very beginning', yet, although I have not read Parke's "No Hope for Gomez" I still felt at ease with the characters in "Random Acts of Senseless Kindness". Eve ...more
Andrula
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So, apparently Gomez Porter kept writing in his blog after No Hope for Gomez! and the entries are as good as they were in the book! Poor Gomez, he is a nice person after all, but misunderstood by people around him...
Although it may contain some spoilers, Random Acts of Senseless Kindness is as great way for people to get a glimpse of these characters and go read the original book right after.
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
WTF?!
I wanted to jump into my Kindle and punch 'the homeless guy' in the throat. I suppose, in his screwed up mind, he had a good point. The delivery and how he got it across killed me though.
Gomez is till quite the character. He is somewhat oblivious to life and all his surroundings. I don't know whether to be amused or annoyed by him. The book made me laugh though.
Graham has a witty way of telling a story. Even with the most mundane of situations, you get pulled in by his wit.
Another great Go
Sally
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't read No Hope for Gomez! and this is set after that, so some parts were not as clear as they otherwise would have been. But that said, I still found this to be really enjoyable! A nice, light read, only 21 pages in pdf and set in blog format which makes it even quicker. I found it fun; interesting story with a neat twist - though if you're after a happy ending, you'll be sadly disappointed.
Geekdgirl
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading No Hope for Gomez, it was a great and fun surprise to find there was going to be a novella exploring the Gomez universe further. I couldn't have asked for a more authentic return to Gomez's world. This novella takes you through the holidays with Gomez...and he has the same sort of obscure experiences he does in the novel...so fitting. Start your new year off right...read more about Gomez...I highly recommend it. It will make you feel better about whatever went wrong during your hol ...more
Doris
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since NO HOPE FOR GOMEZ is on my to-read list, reading this first--which takes place after, I was warned, might prove a spoiler. It failed. In fact, NO HOPE has now moved to the must-read category. Graham Parke's combination of warped imagination and wit with oddball characters makes for entertaining reading. Gomez as protagonist is quirky and endearing. RANDOM ACT's curve ball ending made me laugh and gave me pause. Parke's writing style is finely tuned and enjoyable, so I believe, there is, co ...more
Katey
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really loved No Hope for Gomez and I'm glad a novella continuation exists and I had an opportunity to read it. The Gomez character is great, and I find the way in which he and the story are written hilarious. This was far, far better than any other trite nonsense that's out around the holidays. After recently going through some reading drudgery, this was refreshing and hit the literary spot.
Mareena
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes quirky short stories
Recommended to Mareena by: Graham Parke
Gomez Porter is at a loose end - he just recently inherited an antiques store after his parents had an accident, his girlfriend is acting strangely and he hasn't been invited to any New Year's parties. Add in a suspicious homeless man who seems to be testing him and it all adds up to quite a New Year for Gomez.

I have never read Mr. Parke's No Hope For Gomez!, so I think I missed some characters relationships but I did enjoy this short story. I give it an A!
Kelly
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh.My.God. This was just about the funniest story I've ever read. Completely random and yet weirdly true to life, it made me grin like a fool. At work. When I was the only one in the office. That's good reading, guys.

I thought Gomez was hilarious. I thought his blog entries were great. I'm looking forward to picking up book 1 and giving it a go.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Tiffany
What an interesting read. I like the idea of the story being done like a blog. It was interesting to read Gomez as trying to do his best and he just gets bitten every time he tries. I am excited to read the other book that is about Gomez!
Gwen
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brilliant-reads
Every bit as sharp and funny as No Hope for Gomez! It's great to see all my favorite characters again in this free book. 'Random Acts' is easy to follow, even if you haven't read the original novel, but I think you'll get more out of it if you read them in the right order.
Kate Kaynak
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wicked funny. His writing reminds me of Douglas Adams'.
Christine
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. A funny and well-written story, but a bit strange. Still not sure about the goats. LOL!

I really want to read No Hope for Gomez now.
Terri
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hilarious... just what I needed to read tonight.
Marie
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this was REALLY funny. :) Unfortunately I haven't read the first book yet, looking forward to it.
Kelly/yllektra
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was so funny! :)
I'm sick with sinusitis so review to come as soon as I can.
Roos
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
That was really funny but I'm also kinda confused.
Live goats! That was genius.
James Frederick
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a hard book to rate. Part of the reason for that is that it is really several pieces of different short stories. Some of them were good and had me laughing. Some were kind of creepy. Gomez strikes me as a Napoleon Dynamite kind of character, with flashes of Forrest Gump. He is probably smarter than he comes across. But he is socially inept and perhaps on the autism spectrum. There were parts of this that were difficult to read.
Cynthia  Mello
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love Gomez, he's hysterical. The blogs slay me. Now the girl is thinking the same way. It's just so funny because we've all thought this weird stuff at one time or another. Or, wait, is that just me? These books crack me up! Thanks Graham.
Cher Cabula
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a quick read. Read the entire thing over my lunch break and I don't know how to make sense of it.

I kept thinking there's a lesson to this at the end. There's gotta be a point, uhm well there is kinda. But it also involves some measure of more quiet thinking that I don't want to do at the moment. Haha.
Leticia
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Funny, interesting but suddenly lost at the end.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm bringing a live goat to the next party I attend...
As always, another hilarious read by Graham Parke who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors!
Eddy Russell
Jul 15, 2015
Mabu
rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2015
Magda
Jan 07, 2011
Leah
Feb 04, 2011
Joan Blanton
rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
Forewords Book of the Year winner, Kirkus Indie Best-Lister, EPIC, IBA, and NY Literary Magazine finalist, Graham Parke is responsible for a number of bewildering publications and has recently attempted to patent a self-folding map. He has been described as both a humanitarian and a pathological liar. Convincing evidence to support either allegation has yet to be produced.

The award winning "NoHope