Start by marking “Protector (Known Space)” as Want to Read:
Protector (Known Space)

Protector

(Known Space)

Phssthpok the Pak had been traveling for most of his thirty-two thousand years. His mission: save, develop, and protect the group of Pak breeders sent out into space some two and a half million years before...

Brennan was a Belter, the product of a fiercely independent, somewhat anarchic society living in, on, and around an outer asteroid belt. The Belters were rebels, one
Published September 12th 1987 by Del Rey Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Protector, please sign up.

Manuel Antão
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1980
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Hyperspace Shunt: "Protector" by Larry Niven

(Original Review, 1980-07-29)

Some apparent anomalies in Niven's "Protector".

I am reasonably comfortable with Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe, however I have just finished rereading "Protector" for the umpteenth time and I am somewhat disturbed by the apparent incompatibility with other "Known Space" stories.
Dirk Grobbelaar
Larry Niven proves a point here. Most other authors would be tempted to tell a story of this magnitude in a trilogy consisting of thousands of pages. Niven does it in a little over 200 pages. Granted, he keeps the featuring cast down to only a few individuals. But still…

The saga of Brennan the Belter and Phssthpok the Pak seems to enjoy a bit of cult status, and it’s easy to see why. It’s an enjoyable enough tale, with some nice surprises to keep things spicy. It also gets fairly technical, with
Jim
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded from my library & published by BlackStone Audio. It is one of his Known Universe books, there are some touch stones to others, but this stands alone perfectly well & is early in the cycle. It's old school, hard SF that I haven't read in far too long but was one of many that stretched my mind as a kid.

The premise of Protector is pretty interesting, as are the protectors themselves. Niven covers a lot of logical & moral ground in this book. I was constantly asking myself if
Manny
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
"Protector" has one of the best ideas I have seen in any SF novel, and I'm astonished to find that not one of my friends has it on their shelf. Here's an intro (all revealed very early on, so it hardly counts as a spoiler). It turns out that human beings aren't actually from Earth after all; we are originally colonists from another planet a long way from here.

On the home planet, humans go through two life stages. First, they are Breeders. Breeders, as the name suggests, are only interested in h
Daniel
Sep 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Further proof, if it were needed, that Niven is the king of creating interesting, believable, yet totally alien aliens.

Take all the features of human senescence: wrinkled, leathery skin, teeth and hair falling out, heart failure, joints swollen from over-use. Now imagine that all of these features are signs not of a body breaking down, but the beginnings of a third-stage of human development: the super-strong, hyperintelligent "protector" stage.

The frailties of old age become the strengths of a
Stephen
3.5 stars. Great book by one of the masters of Hard SF "storytelling." This is a book with "big" ideas that are well thought out and explanined and yet such explanations are not given at the expense of the story.

Translation = Big concept, Hard SF that is a lot of fun. Recommended.

Nominee: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1974)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1974)
Jeffrey
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my_ebooks, my_books
Re-reading Ringworld earlier this month as part of Sword & Laser book club selection got me in the mood for a re-read of Ringworld Engineers. Part way into that I dug out Niven's Protector and decided I should re-read that before getting much further in RW Eng. Overall I like this book ALMOST as much as Ringworld, some parts more so, some less. I would rate it a 4.5 if I could, putting this just under Niven's Ringworld, Mote in Gods Eye & Dream Park novels which are my favorites.

I enjoy
Entropic
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fiction
The last time I read this was in 7th grade, towards the end of my first real "I'm going to read everything this author has written" phase in which I devoured everything Known Space. (Come to think of it, I never did get around to reading The Integral Trees...) It's interesting to see what I actually remember about the Known Space universe and the stories in it. Niven's universe was very interconnected. I caught references to World of Ptavvs and A Gift From Earth, but I'm sure I missed others.
Thi
Ric
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing

(After reading the 5 books of the Ringworld, I decided to read the related works in Larry Niven's Known Space universe. Protector figured largely in the unfolding of the Ringworld series and I thought it would be interesting to revisit this book. As such enterprises tend to do, it brought up memories of a youthful life and all the silly things one can get into. Like hitching a ride with the Pak, you never know where you'll wind up.)

So Protector is the book, also the race and the spaceship. The

Harvey
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! One of the greatest science fiction books ever written. This would have to be in my Top Ten books and definitely my favourite Larry Niven book.

And did I mention the cover? What a great cover!
spikeINflorida
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Five stars for the first half. Three stars for the second. Read the other reviews to find out why. Contains key information about the Pak protectors, which are threaded throughout Larry Niven's Known Space story arch including the Ringworld series.
Martin Doych
Много смело спорех, че не може да е чак толкоз лош "Протектор"-а :).
Истината е, че не е ЧАК толкова лош, но за произведение на Нивън си е на практика посредствен. Не че няма някои прекрасни космологични идеи, които ми се всладиха... но извън това е малко... невпечатлителен. Едва ли има читател, който би бил втрещен от сюжет или герой - макар и написан по превъзходен начин, почти липсващата оригиналност е толкова нехарактерна за дедо Лари, че ми идва да ударя едни 2 звезди и аз.
Ако името на кори
Μιτς Γιωτίξ
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first book written by Niven that I read. Even though the final parts felt a bit "rushed", I really liked his style so I will definitely read more of his works in the future.
John
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Alex Sarll
To some extent I consider Larry Niven's Known Space stories the default setting for science fiction. Not early enough to be pulp, yet still definitely not New Wave, let alone modern; never quite OTT enough to be space opera, yet even in the earlier stories too relaxed about the science to feel like mundane SF. The science has gaps and handwaves, but there's also a keen awareness that sub-light space combat would be incredibly boring. And so forth. This might sound like an insult, like calling th ...more
Jason
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: rockers
Recommended to Jason by: fate
I first read this book when I was about 13. I loved it then, and after picking it up last week, was pleased to discover that it still holds up.

Larry Niven had a streak where he wrote some truly bad ass science fiction. His later stuff isn't as fun - somewhere along the way he stopped being original and started writing "like Larry Niven" - but for a while he was the best there was. Ringworld, World Out Of Time, and his short stories are all very good, and definitely worth checking out.

As for Pr
Dirk Myers
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 (whether or not Goodreads actually lets me do that! hah!)

One of my favorite Larry Niven books.

Fun concept, and I very much like the descriptions of interplanetary travel and interplanetary combat. Another reviewer here mentioned that this book managed to span a lot of time, distance, and ideas into a short novel, and that's both true and part of the charm of the book. The book isn't rushed, but it's efficient: there's no time for things that aren't directly related to the story. Like much h
Doug Dandridge
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best of the Know Space Series.
Larry Niven is best known for his Known Space series and it outgrowth, Ringworld. One of the majors players in Ringworld are the Protectors, beings of great strength, intelligence, and a homicidal desire to protect their offspring, the idiot hominids that are their offspring. Millennium before a colony had been sent to Earth and never reported back, so a childless Protector comes here to find out what happened. It finds a space faring civilization, someth
Toby
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Inventive, iconic and fun. This is pulp sci-fi at its best! Enough hard-science stuff to make it enjoyable and believable, with fun characters and an excellent entry into the Known Space universe. It lays some great groundwork for the other novels in a cohesive way and yet stands well on its own.

Definitely worth a read if you are a sci-fi type, especially if you enjoy hard-sci-fi and/or have ever read any of the Known Space novels (e.g. Ringworld).
Craig
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Protector is a excellent novel in Niven's Known Space series, a thought provoking book that covers a vast amount of space and time (the basic elements of sf!) in a relatively short book. Niven strength here is his ability to create believable aliens and cast them in scientifically challenging and plausible situations. (It's been said that his alien characters are more realistic than his human ones.) Protector is a good old hard-sf novel, well worth searching out. (And I love the Dean Ellis cover ...more
Art
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
WOW ! Probably the first book in the series about the ET species called the PAK and its relationship with humanity. The rest of the series were entitled Ringworld. I am not sure this was the first in the order that Niven wrote them however. It is a great book. High tech., good science and extra terrestrials ! What more could anyone ask. It is written by the best author in the this genre, or any genre. Highly recommended !
Hien
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't know why I like this book so much. The biology which is central to this story is ridiculous. The whole concept appeals to me though. Highly intelligent and highly dangerous beings who are ruled by a glandular need to protect their offspring at any cost. The physics, on the other hand, is solid. The space battle between Brennan's ship and the Pak scout ships lasted months since everything is limited by the speed of light.
King Ævil
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Larry Niven work, and my second favorite science fiction novel of all time (after The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress). Niven somehow makes a very unlikely story of human origins perfectly plausible, and a seven-year-long space battle against unseen enemies utterly riveting. I've read this book about two dozen times, and I still pick up details I've missed.
Vineet
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
A cult sci-fi novel if there ever was one. Belter and Pak society become so familiar concepts in a fairly short book, that you are left grasping for a sequel. Incredibly rich in ideas and alien culture, with an underlying philosophical theme that may connect with the more spiritually minded. Does end a bit too quickly.
Bradley
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just good, hard Sci-Fi.
Mark Hodder
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Author's Envy! I wish I'd written this book! Here's why: http://www.mark-hodder.com/authorsenv...
Randy
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the classics, an important standard of sci-fi.
Brett
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brett by: Bungie
A spiritual prequel to Ringworld, the plot is grounded in some serious science with grand concepts, but is held back by a loose, meandering storyline and a slipshod third act.

Setting:
Set within Known Space, early on in the timeline - it spans both the Early Interstellar Era and the Intermediate Era. Humanity has begun colonizing a few other planets, but hasn't made first contact with aliens yet.

The three parts of the book also take place across time gaps - 200 years between Parts 1 & 2, and
Chak
I will pretty much read any pulp scifi from the 50s, 60s and 70s if it has an awesome cover.

The first half of Protector was more interesting to me, because it told of the first meeting of human and alien, with each point of view represented. I enjoyed the alien minds that Vernor Vinge's created in Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky more, but the story of the Pak civilization, and Protector Phssthpok's outlook and motivations were set in a smaller, more focused setting than Vinge's, so
  • Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • Wizard (Gaea, #2)
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • The Menace from Earth (Future History, #18)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • Earth
  • Berserker (Berserker, #1)
  • The Planet Buyer
  • Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3)
  • Nor Crystal Tears (Humanx Commonwealth, #9)
  • Project Pope
  • The High Crusade
  • Janissaries (Janissaries, #1)
  • The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-2)
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more

Known Space (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton (Known Space)
  • Flatlander
  • The Patchwork Girl
  • The World Of Ptavvs (Known Space)
  • Tales of Known Space: The Universe of Larry Niven (Known Space)
  • Neutron Star (Known Space)
  • A Gift from Earth (Known Space)
  • Crashlander (Known Space)
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)