Start by marking “Felidae (Felidae, #1)” as Want to Read:
Felidae (Felidae, #1)

Felidae (Felidae #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  2,016 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
An internationally acclaimed suspense novel features the adventures of Francis, a house cat who, in trying to catch the murderer of his feline friends, meets up with a bizarre cat cult, a kitty computer whiz, and a perceptive Persian. 20,000 first printing. $20,000 ad/promo.
Published January 26th 1993 by Villard (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Felidae, please sign up.

Astrid I used it for a book discussion about 6 years ago. It seems cutey cute at first, but it gets really dark. Personally, I really liked it. Some people…moreI used it for a book discussion about 6 years ago. It seems cutey cute at first, but it gets really dark. Personally, I really liked it. Some people found it too disturbing, but if you like cats and books that have a little depth to it, you might like this one.(less)

EDIT Oct. 21st 2015:

"At the anniversary of the Pegida protests in Dresden on 19 October 2015, Pirinçci was invited as keynote speaker. He accused German politicians of being "Gauleiter against their own people", called Germany a "shit state" ("Scheißstaat") and female asylum seekers "fugitive sluts" ("flüchtende Schlampen"). Further, according to Pirinçci, Muslims want to "pump infidels full of their Muslim juice" ("Ungläubige mit ihrem Moslemsaft vollpumpen") and Germany awaits a "Muslim garbag
☙ percy ❧
truly astonishing how someone who wrote what is essentially an allegory against nationalist eugenics is very far-right wing and basically every type of bigot you can possibly envisage. did he read his own novel? was this novel the work of a tiny, tiny part of his subconsciousness that was raging at the fact that the main part of his consciousness was an absolute nazi trainwreck? we may never know.

no, literally, how the fuck can someone write an anti-eugenics book and then be a neo-Nazi?? how th
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phew. What can I say? Buying the English translated book off of eBay I didn't know what to expect. This is my second time reading through it, and was at first appalled at the language and gore that I was not use to being associated with the cat genre. But as I read on the mood set was amazing. Dark, depressing, and truly insane. Footnotes let you know that Akif must have done a bit of cat research before writing. This book just never ceases to amaze me.
This is a story about cats. Who have a murderer among them. Told from the perspective of a cat. You may want to stop here. This may not be the book for you. This is a mystery seen through the eyes of out hero Francis. Francis is new to the neighborhood and is shocked to learn that many of his feline "family" are being murdered. It is clear the murderer is another cat. The preferred method of killing is a cat-bite to the neck. Francis, believing himself to be of greater-than-average intelligence, ...more
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Ever wonder what your cat thinks of you? You really don't want to know. I thought this would be a cozy-type mystery, but it was way too violent and graphic to claim that category. These cats are cynical, tyrannical and often bitter....but the mystery was interesting to the last.
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motifs-cats
Im Rückblick schon eine interessante Lektüre, zum einen wegen der Katzen-Perspektive, zum anderen weil die Hauptfigur nicht gerade sympathisch ist.
Aus heutiger Sicht: Bei allem, was man über den Autor inzwischen weiß, hätte das Buch sicher nicht mehr den Weg in meinem Regal gefunden.

S obzirom da ova knjiga i nije previše poznata široj javnosti, a riječ je o kvalitetnom i zanimljivom štivu, dopustite da vam predstavim Felidae.
Ova knjiga zadire u svijet mačaka u kojem pronalazimo dva iznimno inteligentna protagonista: Francisca i Pascala. Radnja ovoga romana je protkana elemantima krimića i detektivskim, postupnim putem dolaženja do spoznaje i otkrivanja zločina. Zločini o kojima je riječ su niz krvoločnih ubojstava. Inteligentni detektiv Francisc, postupno rješava misteriju
EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)
Francis is new in town, cocky, smart and sharp-tongued and he's a cat.
Stumbling upon a gore-ish murder in his neighborhood, he cannot stop himself from investigating a crime and unveiling an ingenious, but murderous nazi-like conspiracy - between cats.

It's been some time since I've read this book, but I still remember many details of it. This book was just as the main character, funny and smart, somewhat shocking and definitely surprising.

Felidae is a unique, awesome read. If you don't mind a li
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure I've ever read a book where I felt such a divide between love of the story and inability to stomach the writing.
I'll say this: this may be blasphemy to some, but there are cases where the movie is better than the book. And this is one of those cases, because, at least in this person's opinion, the story may be great, but the writing is absolutely insufferable, and gets increasingly so over the course of the book.
The author appears to believe in the stance that brooding and negativit
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Felidae is an insane but captivating murder mystery starting from page one. Although I figured out who the murderer was about 3/5s of the way through, I did not even guess at the murderer's actual motivation until it was revealed. An absolutely stunning novel that isn't at all justified by saying it's a "murder mystery about cats." Their feline-ness is absolutely central to the mystery and to all of the characters, but at the same time, the themes are all very human.
Lara Thompson
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping book by an author that clearly understands cats. The protagonist is a classic cynical down on his luck in a noir kind of way drawn into solving the serial murders on his fellow felines. The added footnotes of the scientific basis behind certain behaviours are priceless
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a curious little novel.

The protagonist, Francis, who happens to be a cat, investigates a gruesome crime and discovers a number of disturbing things that are happening in his neighbourhood.
(I'm not going to tell you anything specific about the plot, just a heads-up.)

I personally love this book. It is creepy and frightening at times (Francis' nightmares are particularly disturbing), but the author has a way of writing that really draws me in. He sets up a storyline with a number of threads
The Book Eaters
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abi
The original review, and many other reviews and features, can be found at

Today I shall be reviewing one of the quirkier books of the literary world: a tale of murder, prejudice, hypocrisy, religious cults, genetics and cats.

Felidae is a neo-noir detective book written by the German author Akif Princçi, and tells the tale of domestic cat detective Francis, just arrived in a new neighbourhood, whose welcoming present is a corpse in the garden. Confused and upset, Francis
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this novel to be truly unique. It is the opposite of a cat "cozy" - more of a cat gothic wrapper on a deeper philosophical meditation, with occasional Chandleresque interludes - so it is worth reading whether you *believe* you have any interest in cats or not. If you come to it with an open mind, you will be rewarded. Finally, the author uses cats to illuminate questions that mean something quite fundamental to us human animals - yet, without reducing the feline characters to mere device ...more
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book after watching the (rather infamous) animated adaptation, which I have to say I prefer—and it’s rare for me to prefer a movie to its original book.

This is just so awfully, terribly written. Ham-fisted and amateurish.

It’s like he’s very self-consciously adding “I AM A WRITER, LOOK AT ME WRITE” elements. Long, ridiculous analogies and purple-prosed similes. Equally purple, cliche descriptions of setting and character. Long emphatic tirades on human nature with no basis whatsoever
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago (I remember picking it up at a book market for next to nothing!) and its one that always sticks in my mind. It took me a while to read it as I found it hard going till about as third of the way through. Then it all seemed to come into place.

It is not the usual genre I read and I would say it is more of a thriller/crime. The characters are great and because of my love of cats I found the book very warming. It took me 4 years to find the sequal.

I'd say give it a go if it
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, germany-poland
For someone that doesn't like cats I really loved this book.
My friend gave me this to read as a sort of joke and I gave it a go for fun and I turned out really loving it.
The first chapter just made it for me.
I love the way it is told from a cats point of view.
Really funny and unique and had a great storyline.
Gave me the creeps and was a bit graphic, thus the three stars. As far as the writing and the thoughts it evokes, I would give it 5 stars.
Kenya Starflight
NOTE: I was unaware of the controversy surrounding author Akif Pirincci before starting this novel, and while I don't approve of his actions, I am a firm believer in separating the art from the artist when it comes to reviewing a work. Therefore, this will be the last I mention of said controversy in this review.

The German animated movie "Felidae" has achieved notoriety in a lot of Internet circles -- much like "Watership Down," it's a film starring cute furry animals that nonetheless has a lot
Felidae is darkly funny, curiously intriguing, action filled... and badly written. watch the movie.

This is such a great concept!! A murder mystery with cats??? sign me tf up. Grumpy neighbourhood cat francis gets roped into playing detective after many neighbourhood cats begin to be murdered.

This book is filled with so many unexpected pop culture references which I fully enjoyed. I also massively appreciated how much research pirincci did on cats to really make this an accurate portrayal of how
Mel Geronazzo
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this, I knew it was considered dark, or rather 'noir' as I heard it described an innumerable amount of times. I had never seen the movie, I had heard about it from an old co-worker several years ago, but piggy-backing from Watership Down, Plague Dogs and Animals of Farthing Woods I brushed it off.
Oh boy, should I have listened.
Most of the novel, primarily due to it's verbose monologues, was slow paced and padded. However, there were times where I had to put the book down, find my
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book yesterday, and my brain is still going, "wow."

Felidae was a little hard to get into at first, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, even though there was drama from only one chapter in. I had no idea that a murder mystery about cats could be serve as such an incredible piece of social commentary. Seriously, this is the kind of book that made me feel smarter for reading it, and that's not at all what I thought would happen when I started it.

Through what at first looks like a sim
Un libro davvero molto cupo e violento per essere pubblicato in una collana per ragazzini, con uno stile di scrittura in parte ironico e in parte filosofeggiante che nuovamente non vedo idoneo ad un libro per ragazzi. Penso che sia stato messo nei libri per ragazzi solo perché è una storia che narra di gatti ed è scritto dal punto di vista di un gatto. Ma l'editore italiano ha clamorosamente sbagliato, dimostrando, oltre a non avere letto il libro, anche una scarsissima attenzione, dato che all' ...more
René Roth
Contrary to those here who hate the author and still love the book, I have no problem with the author and still didnt like the book much.

The story was good enough, the cat setting a nice new touch. But the whole story telling is crippled by the author enjoying his own "clever" quips too much, inserting them not only into the narrator's descriptions, but also the direct speech of nearly all characters.
This makes the book a tedious read, both because characters become really hard to distinguish an
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book at least three times, and I absolutely adore it every time. An unsentimental, unflinching mature look at the relationship between animals and humans and the suffering they impose on themselves and vice-versa.

I first watched the German movie of the same name and found it brutal yet fascinating. It's an unusual tale about murders involving cats. In the same vein as Animal Farm, there should be more animal-based stories with metaphors about human society out there.
Bas van Nieuwland
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Discovered this book because of the Animated film. It's absolutely brilliant. A dark detective mystery from the perspective of cats, with reverences to the Holocaust and it makes a strong statement against animal testing. 10/10
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most thrilling cat novel on my shelf ever since.
Lara Thompson
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful cat sleuth with much appreciated insights to the feline community.
Goodreads Librari...: Change Description 2 138 Jun 19, 2016 05:48AM
Francis and the Egyptian Cat 2 4 Jul 21, 2015 07:34AM
  • Das Jesus-Video
  • Nero Corleone
  • Tobermory
  • Garou (Sheep Detective Story, #2)
  • Sansibar oder der letzte Grund
  • Drei Männer im Schnee
  • Schmitz' Katze
  • Mordshunger
  • Die Prophezeiung
  • Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit
  • Die Hüter der Rose (Waringham, #2)
  • I Miss You, I Miss You!
  • The Night of Wishes
  • The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats
  • Der kleine Wassermann
Akif Pirinçci (pronunciation: [piːʁɪntʃi]) is a German writer of Turkish origin who is best known internationally for his novel Felidae.

Pirinçci was born on the 20th October 1959 in Istanbul, Turkey, but emigrated to Germany together with his parents in 1969. He began to write fiction at a young age, and published his first novel Tränen sind immer das Ende (literally, "tears always are the end") i
More about Akif Pirinçci...

Felidae (8 books)
  • Francis (Felidae, #2)
  • Cave Canem (Felidae, #3)
  • Das Duell (Felidae, #4)
  • Salve Roma! (Felidae, #5)
  • Schandtat (Felidae, #6)
  • Felipolis (Felidae, #7)
  • Göttergleich (Felidae, #8)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Tiere sind gute Menschen und Menschen böse Tiere” 6 likes
“Everyone wants to rule the world . . . Really, absolutely everyone. That's what it's all about, isn't it? That's what it's always about in the end. And every species believes it's number one. Every individual is firmly convinced that he or she alone has the right to ascend to the throne and issue orders to get rid of others. And in reality everyone is fooling themselves, because up there on the throne it's lonely and cold.” 1 likes