Start by marking “Bad Girls (Bad Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Girls (Bad Girls, #1)

Bad Girls (Bad Girls #1)

Bad Girls
Published September 1st 1997 by Scholastic (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Girls

Soul Glow
Apr 19, 2008 Soul Glow rated it did not like it
this book was boring and uninteresting
An Odd1
Dec 03, 2012 An Odd1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hoped for humor, got recipe for ten-year old fifth-grade truancy, girl-style "Think they can get away with anything" p253. I like reading about humans whose frailties are challenged and strengths encouraged, yielding a better world. This reads like a teacher/school memoirs (reinforced by Voigt bio), typical unhappy months ruled by bossy bullies from their point of view, revives my worst childhood years preferred forgotten. http://www.cynthiavoigt.com/biography...

Michelle "Mikey" fights physic
Ann
Sep 06, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
It took me a while to warm up to this book since the two main characters are not especially likeable. The longer I spent in a fifth grade classroom under the leadership of a strict teacher who is "the kind of person who saw herself as having short, potato-colored hair",the more realistic I found the students. Voigt gives reader layer upon layer of each character's soul. If Mikey and Margalo hadn't been seated by each other alphabetically, both new on the first day of school, they might not have ...more
Rad
May 24, 2009 Rad rated it liked it
It’s hard to believe that this is the same Cynthia Voigt who wrote Dicey’s Song and the rest of the Homecoming series, for Bad Girls, while also contemporary, is less about coming-of-age, family, and grief and more about classroom politics, motives, and friendship. Apparently it's also a series. But it's hard for me to take the title seriously because I just keep thinking of the song. "Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do, what you gonna do when they come for you?" Replace "boys" with "girls," ...more
*CrAzY-PeRFeCtNeSs!!!!
Apr 05, 2009 *CrAzY-PeRFeCtNeSs!!!! rated it really liked it
pretty cool Mikey is awesome my new role model
Catherine  Mustread
Overly long and somewhat confusing story of two fifth grade girls trying to maintain a friendship while each asserts her independence.
Aimee
Mikey Elsinger and Margalo Epps are new to Washington Street Elementary School on the first day of fifth grade in Mrs. Chemsky's class. Mikey is a self-absorbed only child with a giant chip on her shoulder. Margalo is one of many step- and half-siblings in a family with more kids than money. Mikey likes to fight and Margalo appears innocent but is a skilled liar and manipulator.
I imagine Voigt thought she was being all PC by having "two strong female characters" but she seems to confuse strong w
Janet
Jul 30, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
So here I am, cleaning out my garage, and I ran across a diorama from long ago. I think my daughter wrote it in 5th grade (she got an "E") so that would make it 3rd grade when she wanted to buy the book. Here is her review, with apologies to my good friend Liz ... I guess I tried to do a little more "guiding" than I thought.

"No sugar, no spice ... what was I looking at? that phrase was on the back cover of Bad Girls. I was in Ms. Sottile's class and we were at the Book Fair. My mum was helping
Liz
Jul 13, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those with a sense of subversion
Shelves: ya
I loved this book! I first read it when I was three or four years older than the main characters (and that's a lot in kid years) and loved it because it's pure mischief! Mikey Elsinger is a girl who prefers barrelling her way through everything in life, whilst Margalo Epps prefers trying her hand at social manipulation. The result is a delicious book of playground politics and insights into kids that you absolutely have to read. No, I mean it: go and read it. Especially if you've lost touch with ...more
Danna
Jun 05, 2013 Danna rated it it was amazing
In a word: Wow! In this poignant novel, Cynthia Voigt delves into the darker side of elementary school, realities that adults have either forgotten or prefer to believe are rare anomalies. When we consider our own childhoods, or casually observe kids in the world or in media, we're looking through the lens of our adult experiences and understandings (and in the case of media portrayals, through the lens of advertisers and studio executives). Naturally, this distorts our perceptions and memories. ...more
Deshawn Robinson
Mar 05, 2014 Deshawn Robinson rated it it was ok
After meeting on the first day in Mrs. Chemsky's fifth-grade class, Margalo Epps and Michelle had problem with school. They always where getting in trouble they wanting to do nothing.These two girl are never good and when they are always to getter they never want to listen or do there work they are bad girl. These girl everybody in there class because they are so bad and they are ruled and very mean to other. These girl never behave like they are supposed, no one want know what they and going t ...more
Alissa
Nov 14, 2008 Alissa rated it it was ok
Bad Girls was a middle level novel about two girls who were new to Washington Street Elementary school and to Mrs. Chemsky's fifth grade classroom. They are a bit of trouble makers. Mikey (Michelle), doesn't take crap from any one. Margalo seems to be tame but she has a fire inside of her. They become best of friends and everyone elses nightmare. Mrs. Chemsky doesn't know how to control them and their classmates fear them. To top it off, the two girls love it. They love being bad. This book take ...more
Eugenia
Jan 13, 2013 Eugenia rated it liked it
9-year-old picked this out and I thought I should investigate what constituted "badness" for this fifth-grade pair and see whether it was appropriate for her. It is -- it's fine for her maturity level, although she might, as I did, find herself frustrated by what's not told directly (we have to infer the girls' troubled backgrounds from hints in the text, but we never get to "meet" their families).
April Hochstrasser
The book is about two 5th grade girls that like to hurt boys and trick people. They put run over raccoons in a person's lunch box and don't even care what the punishment would be! Margolo had to write on the chalk board 150 times "I will never do that again" and Mikey had to wash all the desks. Maybe if I were 10 I would like a book about mean 5th grade girls, but right now it just seems childish.
Alisha Erin
Nov 07, 2011 Alisha Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This reread was entertaining and fun. I specifically reread it, however, to evaluate how I felt about my kids reading it in the future--about these "bad" 5th grade girls. There were only a couple of swear words in the book, and it's a totally engaging read...but in the end, the two girls are pretty obnoxious and unrepentant. I don't think I would buy this book again. But I am not sure it is so bad that it is worth getting rid of. I'm still undecided about it.
Ana Morano
the setting is based mainly at the school . the action begins on the first day of 5th grade , when mikey and margalo meet , they are the main characters in the book . they help eachother in and out of trouble as they try to maintain a friendship . these girls are the trouble makers of the classroom . mikey doesnt take crap from anyone . marglo comes off as a nice girl but when you get to meet her shes not . they become bestfriends & everyone else nightmare .
Julie
Jul 07, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Annotation: Eleven year old Alice, who is missing her mother wants to have a beautiful role model to help guide her forward in life but she later learns that it is not what it on the outside that is important. [return]Annotation: The story of Margalo and Mikey, two fifth grade girls who meet on the first day of school and get into all kinds of trouble while trying to stay friends.
Michelle Llewellyn
Sep 28, 2010 Michelle Llewellyn rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a series of "Bad Girls" and I highly recommend it. When these two mischevious tweens meet all hell breaks loose in the sixth grade. Once you read this one you'll want to keep following them all the way to high school. Mikey and Margalo could teach Jessica Wakefield a thing or two about sociopathy.
Teresa
May 03, 2008 Teresa rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in 7th grade, good book for children, the characters actually speak the way we did growing up and have the same thought process and are believable (which is always a big thing).
Emily Dybdahl
About a couple of troublemaker fifth-grade girls, this book is interesting, but doesn't have much of a lesson or point to it that I understood. I would have enjoyed this more if I was in fifth grade while reading it...so it's more for an age-appropriate audience.
Michele
Mar 09, 2010 Michele rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book in elementary school. I read it so many times I practically had 95 percent of it memorized. I was just completely drawn to this story about a complicated friendship between two outcasts destined to be best friends.
Sandy
Mar 31, 2008 Sandy rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: Francis
Shelves: tween
Mickey and Margalo are both new students in the 5th grade, and somehow, nobody's quite sure how, because they look like complete opposites, but somehow, they become the best of friends and battle their way through the fifth grade.
Magda
Aug 07, 2009 Magda rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Rereading Cynthia Voigt. I had forgotten some of the plot twists, and do think that the age is accurately (but still interestingly) portrayed.

October 6, 2009:
Cute, but not captivating. I don't really see how they're "bad" as opposed to "naughty."
BookActivist
Sep 28, 2008 BookActivist rated it it was amazing
Was a favorite book as a young teen.
Bill Tillman
Nov 07, 2010 Bill Tillman rated it it was amazing
Great book about the lives of fifth grade bad girls and what they learn.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Marissa
May 30, 2007 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
Excellent portrayal of friendship, social status and trouble-making amongst fifth graders.

Precious Garnett
Mar 30, 2013 Precious Garnett rated it it was ok
I'm 20 so this book really didnt do anything for me. It'll be fine for the younger audience that its intended for tho. :)
Melissa
Mar 02, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it
Recommended to Melissa by: Found at Goodwill
I didn't like how this made it seem that only rascally people were interesting or that revenge is ok as long as the person you are doing it to is to-the-core-mean and you're not (in your opinion).
Claudia
Mar 23, 2009 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever felt like school is a minefield.
Once of the cornerstones of my pre-adolescent life. The main reason I adopted a signature smile, which holds the middle between haughty and condescending and amused.
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • Minnie McClary Speaks Her Mind
  • Beswitched
  • My Heart Is Laughing
  • Golden & Grey: An Unremarkable Boy and a Rather Remarkable Ghost (Invisible Friend #1)
  • The Order of the Unicorn (The Imaginary Veterinary, #4)
  • Runt
  • Summer of the Wolves
  • Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child
  • The School for the Insanely Gifted
  • The Detention Club
  • The Missing Pieces of Me
  • The Loser List
  • Awesome Blossom (Flower Power, #4)
  • La cazadora de Indiana Jones
Cynthia Voigt is an American author of books for young adults dealing with various topics such as adventure, mystery, racism and child abuse.

Awards:
Angus and Sadie: the Sequoyah Book Award (given by readers in Oklahoma), 2008
The Katahdin Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Anne V. Zarrow Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Margaret Edwards Award, for a body of work, 1995
Jackaroo: Ratte
More about Cynthia Voigt...

Bad Girls (6 books)
  • Bad, Badder, Baddest (Bad Girls, #2)
  • It's Not Easy Being Bad (Bad Girls, #3)
  • Bad Girls In Love (Bad Girls, #4)
  • From Bad to Worse (Bad Girls, #5)
  • Bad Girls, Bad Girls, Whatcha Gonna Do? (Bad Girls, #6)