Start by marking “Children of the Thunder” as Want to Read:
Children of the Thunder

Children of the Thunder

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Science writer Peter Levin sensed a major story behind Claudia Moriss's research into jivenile deliquency. For the American sociologist had uncovered a disturbing pattern of crimes that were unusual even in the rapidly deteriorating society of 1990s Britain.

David had made a fortune creating highly addictive designer drugs. Sheila, alone and unarmed, had killed a Marine com
Mass Market Paperback, Del Rey (First Edition), 341 pages
Published December 13th 1988 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Thunder

Invadozer Misothorax Circular-thallus Popewaffensquat
Children of the Thunder is a science fiction novel by John Brunner.

John Brunner has written a really wonderful book 'THE SHEEP LOOK UP' that I should probably re-read. This book came close but not quite to the despondency that Earth is supposed to face in the present/near future.

There is developing computers in this book and witch scares about AIDS making this a little dated, but when the whole think is rolled together then it makes for one loud polluted toxic page fart. Kids. They do the darned
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Dec 23, 2013 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
John Brunner's Children of Thunder
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - December 23, 2013

This might be called Brunner's 'Demon Seed' novel, it centers around exceptionally successfully manipulative children. I'm reminded of the grim picture of children in the background of his Players at the Game of People (1980) (see my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ) & of Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange (1962), wch I've read, & of John Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos (1
Keith
Dec 30, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, on-hand
I have long been a fan of Brunner, and have all but worshiped The Shockwave Rider in a manner most geeks reserve for bigger SF names since my teens. I was, therefore, predisposed to like this book.

If you, dear reader, are not likewise predisposed, I would urge a moment's caution. Without providing any spoilers, let me note that the central themes of this book deal directly with topics about which a great many people have extremely strong feelings. I seriously doubt whether it could be publishe
JS Fidelino
Aug 27, 2012 JS Fidelino rated it liked it
This is a really weird novel. My friend Sarah bought it at a secondhand bookstore in Trinoma, probably because the back cover spiel was quite interesting and the cover art was classic old sci-fi book stuff. The novel was published in 1988 and the copy she got was a first print (it probably didn’t get a second methinks). Well, she left the copy with me and out of interest I read it.

The novel was set in Britain in the 1990s, when human society was starting to fall apart and the natural resources w
Lee
Dec 29, 2010 Lee rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, dystopia
I liked the premise of the book, not the execution. 1990s Britain is on the verge of total collapse due to economic and ecological disasters around the world. A fascist government is on the verge of taking complete control.

Researcher Claudia Morris discovers disturbing patterns in children crimes and reporter David Levin senses a potential story. They soon discover that these kids aren't just simple juvenile delinquents but something more. Each of these kids possess a strange power of charm. We
Eduardo Torres
Apr 16, 2014 Eduardo Torres rated it really liked it
This was eerie and a bit scary in terms of what the future could bring. Brunner makes it seem all to plausible. There are one or two scenes that are more than PG-13 in case some parent wants to know.
Foxtower
Feb 04, 2013 Foxtower rated it liked it
Shelves: entertainment
While ,our current world isn't quite as disfunctional as the 1990's in "Cildren of Thunder", there are a great many disturbing similarities. Into this world I went to find both expected and unexpected plot twists as together with the characters I treid to figure it out... and fell victim to the same misleading clues! While the ending wasn't totally unexpected, there were a few surprise twists and when I closed the last page I had a good chuckle!
Rosemary
Aug 04, 2011 Rosemary rated it it was ok
Very dated (1980s), irritating invented jargon, and hamfistedly preachy in places. I did read the whole thing though.
Marc
Jul 08, 2010 Marc rated it it was amazing
He's one of the greats of sci fi. Kind of an update of Stand on Zanzibar.
Greg
Oct 20, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Brunner was always best in the dystopia sub-genre.
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Justinroy
Justinroy rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Kathe
Kathe rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Johnny Mayall
Johnny Mayall rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Marian Mertes
Marian Mertes rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Daavid
Daavid marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Andson Munford
Andson Munford marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Horrible Book 10 9 May 20, 2007 06:28PM
  • The Years Of The City
  • Noir
  • The Planet On The Table
  • Return to Rocheworld (Rocheworld, #2)
  • Plague from Space
  • Gorgon Child (Aubrey Knight, #2)
  • Playgrounds of the Mind
  • The Martian Race
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Starstrike
  • The Rapture Effect
  • Venus Plus X
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • The Alternate Asimovs
  • Buying Time
  • At Winter's End (New Springtime, #1)
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie Ro ...more
More about John Brunner...

“Don't bother explaining—I've heard all the excuses and the trouble is most of them are true.” 17 likes
“The gray-haired growser, who proved to be a lawyer, had made it clear how much he loathed the people who were, in his view, attempting to undermine the American Constitution by imposing a state religion—or possibly it was "religion state by state," for his argument grew more confused with each Martini he sank. At any rate he was noisily predicting that the result would be world domination by the Communist bloc because they would wind up with a monopoly of practical science while his own people would be reduced to praying, sticking pins in chance-opened Bibles, and casting lots to decide whose eldest son should be sacrificed to stave off disaster.” 1 likes