Start by marking “Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire” as Want to Read:
Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire

Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire (Legends of the Dark Crystal #2)

The final volume in the bestselling series inspired by the Jim Henson film! Lahr and Neffi travel to the crystal castle to rescue their friends and family, encountering the Collector Skeksis and others. With the Lord Chamberlain's secret assistance, the Gelflings escape, but Lahr must agree to a terrible price.
Published August 3rd 2010 by TokyoPop (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 2

Abby Taylor
Dec 17, 2012 Abby Taylor rated it it was amazing
I would assume I am very biased about this series. 'The Dark Crystal' is my favourite movie of all time, so when I found out there was a manga styled series of two (it was supposed to be three - the series was never finished) prequels I jumped with excitement and bought them for a birthday present for myself. I read them both in a day and loved them! The held the same simple gentleness and 'good wins over evil' the film had. It made me feel a little more complete reading these books, and they ...more
Chris D'Antonio
Sep 20, 2016 Chris D'Antonio rated it it was amazing
I continue to be a glutton for anything that expands the world of the Dark Crystal and this graphic novel delivers on the setting and tone of the world which Jim Henson and a vast creative staff bright into being many moons ago. my only criticism is that there wasn't more of it to be enjoyed.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 18, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was ok
Lahr and Neffi are two Gelfling who have survived attacks of the Garthim (just as Jen and Kira would do in the future.) The two plans to stage a raid on the Crystal Castle and rescue captured Gelfling. After that there is a very interesting section dealing with intrigues among the Skeksis who are vying for power any way they can get it. The use of captured Gelfling for 'Gelfling essense' is also covered.

Lahr and Neffi get closer to the castle. Meanwhile Aughra is in her lab and says it will all
Lacey Louwagie
A lot of what I said in the first review holds true here, too. I did find this story slightly more satisfying, but it was frustrating that the Skeksis all looked so much alike in black and white -- not to mention that their names are so similar, too! Still, the story is pretty simplistic, so it was still fairly easy to follow. They're all stabbing each other in the back, what more is there to know? ;)
Jeff
Dec 24, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok
This graphic novel had all the same problems as the first one; mainly, the art was not anywhere near where it should be in a Dark Crystal book.

The story was cliche but capable, but the art made some scenes confusing, especially scenes with the Skeksis.

The ending was disappointing and didn't really have much going for it. Overall, the two books made for a forgettable experience.
Becky Frost
Mar 24, 2015 Becky Frost rated it really liked it
Once again, the story is so-so or average with a lot of reminders of the movie....but the art...now that is phenomenal! The book is worth checking out just for the art and the art is what gives this book the extra star above average for me. And this one had an alternate cover art page listed in the back done by Katie Cook, so I can't wait to hopefully get my copy signed by her.
Aaron
Jun 10, 2012 Aaron rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic_novels
Again...not much to say about this. It was quick, easy, and inconsequential. Holds value to those who wish to see a little more about the universe of the Dark Crystal.
Crystal
Jul 02, 2013 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was a good read, but since they decided not to make a trilogy out of it, the ending felt rushed and incomplete. The art work was great and it was nice to see more into the world of Thra.
Nov 06, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I had trouble telling the difference between all the Skeksis. They are drawn with different details to their clothing but I would have had a better time if the art was in color.
Raven Oak
Raven Oak rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Tere
Tere rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Jessica Jelks
Jessica Jelks rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Bhe
Bhe rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Nicole Mills
Nicole Mills rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Bert
Bert rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Ashley Guertin
Ashley Guertin rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2011
Stevie
Stevie rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Larry C
Larry C rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Bri
Bri rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2016
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Tyler
Tyler rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Rob Vitaro
Rob Vitaro rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
John
John rated it did not like it
May 16, 2011
Shepherd
Shepherd rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Pia
Pia rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 5
  • 彩雲国物語 9
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 6
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 4
  • Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1)
  • Mushishi, Vol. 8/9/10
  • Courtney Crumrin: The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 11
  • V.B. Rose Volume 14
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 7
  • Adventures in Oz
  • Scary Book Volume 1: Reflections (Scary Book)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 8 (Her Majesty's Dog)
Barbara Randall Kesel is an American writer and editor of comic books; her bibliography includes work for DC Comics, Marvel Comics, CrossGen, Image Comics and Dark Horse Comics. Kesel is a very outspoken opponent of sexism in the comic book industry. She is known for her strong female characters, influencing her then husband Karl's work on Lois Lane in the Superman titles and creating Grace, the ...more
More about Barbara Randall Kesel...

Legends of the Dark Crystal (2 books)
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars