Start by marking “The Last Sherlock Holmes Story” as Want to Read:
The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,452 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
For fifty years after Dr Watson's death, a packet of papers, written by the doctor himself, lay hidden in a locked box. The papers contained an extraordinary report of the case of Jack the Ripper and the horrible murders in the East End of London in 1888. The detective, of course, was the great Sherlock Holmes - but why was the report kept hidden for so long? This is the ...more
Published 1995 by Oxford Uinversity Press (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

Emily
Sep 05, 2012 Emily rated it did not like it
Oh my god. Literally. Just don't read this book. That's all I can say. Promise me? PROMISE? Don't do it. It'll ruin you for at least a whole day with rage and an intense feeling that you just wasted two hours of your life that you can't get back. But you know, if you want someone to take Holmes and mostly destroy him as a character then yeah, go for it. This is JUST the book for you. Otherwise, STAY AWAY.
Richard
Jan 07, 2014 Richard rated it did not like it
Dibdin is a decent writer, and I found the writing itself rather enjoyable. That's the upside. But I absolutely detested this particular book because of the story and the premise. When I finished it, I wanted to throw it across the room, stomp on it, and then tear it into little pieces. I settled for fobbing it off to a used bookstore, where hopefully it languishes unread, instead of infecting the psyche of some other poor sod...
Amy Sturgis
I understand why this Sherlock Holmes-meets-Jack the Ripper novel is controversial among (even hated by) some Holmes fans who are wed to one interpretation of the detective, but I found it to be fascinating and very well rooted in the canonical Holmesian texts. Its sophisticated (and darkly Gothic) psychological look not only at Holmes (whom I found to be poignantly redeemed at the end, contrary to what I'd expected from other reviews) but also at the wonderful Dr. Watson kept me very ...more
Cherie
Jun 11, 2014 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not consider myself a Sherlock Holmes purest, but I confess that a certain revelation in the story, when I came to it, did give me a few minutes of angst. I spent more than a few minutes thinking about whether I could accept the story line and keep reading. I admit, my first reaction was “No, this is not my Sherlock Holmes!” It has happened to me before.

I was enjoying the writing style. I thought Mr. Dibdin had caught the flavor Holmes and Watson very well. Everything Author Conan Doyle wa
Rose
Ewan Li
Apr 27, 2015 Ewan Li rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Last Sherlock Holmes Story"is written by MIchael Dibdin. When I finished read this book, I can't believe the story of this book is a real story. It was very amazing and fantastic.
Then, I didn't like this story of this book, when I first read this book, I thought this book like a Detective Conan,
but it wasn't there not many mystery quiz.
I like the part that Holmes and Mr. Waston show their friendship.
George
Dec 14, 2013 George rated it did not like it
If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, I don't think this is a book for you. This is supposed to be a Holmes story written by Dr. Watson and held back for 50 years as provided in his will. Perhaps it is a good reading novel, though you pretty much know what is going to happen part way through, but I didn't care for its portrayal of Holmes. The Holmes in this story is not "my" Holmes.
Aldean
Oct 20, 2008 Aldean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated, hated, hated this book.

To be perfectly fair, I was fourteen or fifteen when I found this on the shelf at the public library. I was a recently-minted Sherlock Holmes fan, and had been devouring The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes, so I was eager to read anything that had "Sherlock Holmes" anywhere on the cover. So this depth-plumbing horror was my very first Holmes pastiche, and probably a bit "mature" for me at that particular stage in my reading life. I consider it possible that s
Feb 07, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I found this book truly disturbing.
Annette
Feb 23, 2012 Annette rated it did not like it
Natalie Dale
Jul 24, 2011 Natalie Dale rated it it was ok
When I first began reading this I thought it was a good read which stayed true to the previous works of ACD but also gave some inventive explanations and changes to give a different perspective on the infamous Sherlock Holmes. However, the twist is revealed half way through the book and, although abandoned by Watson as ridiculous at points, still does not lead to a surprise ending and appears to be very much an anti-climax after a trundling narrative in parts. Although it is still worth a read, ...more
Manny
Dec 17, 2008 Manny rated it really liked it

Looking through the other reviews, I can see that either you love this book or you hate it. I'm in the first group. First, Dibdin shows you that he can capture the flavor of the old Arthur Conan Doyle stories perfectly; then, not content with merely imitating, he adds some disturbing new elements to the legend. In the afterword, he asks you to forgive him. It's heresy, he freely admits, but the heresy of the true believer. An eloquent and accurate summary!

Gram
Jan 14, 2016 Gram rated it really liked it
Re-read this more than 35 years after it was first published. Probably the best Sherlock Holmes pastiche ever written. This was Michael Dibdin's 1st novel and it is a terrific tale, as Holmes and Watson try to hunt down Jack The Ripper. But there is a twist in this tale which is incredible. A must read for any fan of detective fiction.
يوسف
ممتازة مرة، ومنها قررت أقرأ الروايات الكاملة لشارلك هولمز ..
شارلك هولمز يعتبر أشهر محقق خيالي..

فيه هذه القصة - المختصرة طبعاً للمبتدئين - توفي شارلك
وتعتبر هذه القصة صدمة للقراء ولم يتقبلوا الأمر بسهولة..

بعد عدة سنوات عاد المؤلف لقصص شارلك وكتب رواية أحيى فيها شارك مرة أخرى،، وسميت القترة بين وفاة شارلك وحياته بـ (التوقف الكبير)
Jun 19, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
Riju Ganguly
Apr 23, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
An extremely clever take on the whole Holmes v/s Ripper concept, with a twist-ending that will take your breath away! I know, it reads like those blurbs that we get to read on paperbacks ('The cover will show you somebody shot/the back will tell you what is the plot'!), but that is the most succint description of this book that I can produce without producing spoilers en masse! Read it, curse Michael Dibdin to the core (the guy is dead, so really can't effect any harm), and then keep thinking: ...more
Alan Brindley
Jan 24, 2014 Alan Brindley rated it did not like it
Patrick Hilyer
Mar 26, 2013 Patrick Hilyer rated it really liked it
OK, so this was a second-time read, but despite knowing the ending I enjoyed the clever way Dibdin dovetails Holmes and Watson into the grisly events in Whitechapel in 1888 – an over-used fictional conceit these days, but pretty original when the story was published in ‘78. A compelling and authentic voice that stops short of lampooning Conan Doyle’s bumbling Doctor or his enigmatic ‘consulting detective’.
Becky
May 16, 2016 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review should contain only one word, that is -

BULLSHIT.

A boy whose name starts with Q spoiled this book's ending to me when I was at high school. So I did not check it out until now. What can I say? The ending, when I first heard it, was already bullshit enough. But now, after reading this and experiencing the writing (which was actually good) and the plot, I still think it is bullshit.
Monica
Oct 14, 2012 Monica rated it liked it
If you can’t conceive our favorite hero portrayed as a hopeless drug addict turned into a madman with a split personality disorder, stay away from this book. But if you can stomach a different –but very logical- take of Sherlock Holmes, you will be treated to a very intelligent, well written story with a devastatingly gritty end.
Beth G.
Four stars because I think the writing is very good, and I rather liked how Didbin managed to answer my "But what about the...?" questions by the end. It's definitely an odd book, and I couldn't quite buy into this particular version of Holmes. I do wonder how I would have reacted had I not actually already known the twist going in, but there's nothing to be done about that.
Don Campbell
Jan 15, 2015 Don Campbell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a well-written obscenity. If one were able to give a book a negative five star rating, this one would deserve it. If you love the character of Sherlock Holmes, with all his strengths and flaws, this book will leave you traumatized and enraged. Fair warning.
Peter
Dec 31, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Every once in a while, a contemporary author feels the need to confront Sherlock Holmes. Especially if the author works in genre literature. Dibdin, a justly acclaimed mystery writer in his own right does the tradition a classic tribute in this very clever take on the Holmes legend.
Subin
Nov 10, 2015 Subin rated it really liked it
James
Apr 20, 2014 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, crime
An abomination of a Sherlock Holmes novel for the purists. On its own merits a weak story. Unsealed Watson papers cover Holmes' seeking to solve the Ripper murders. If this sounds lazy it's because it is.
Christa
An amazing idea to combine the most notorious unsolved crimes of Jack the Ripper with the most notorious crime solver, Sherlock Holmes. Made me want to research both more after finishing this book.
Amélia
Aug 16, 2016 Amélia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-crime
Actual rating : 3.5

My thoughts about this book can be resumed in one image.

description
Becca
Jul 06, 2010 Becca rated it did not like it
This was horrifying.
Christina Rochester
Oct 29, 2016 Christina Rochester rated it liked it
Hmmm it seems people either love or hate this book but I'm somewhat torn. I hated the writing style and the gore (I don't need to read about foetuses in jars thank you very much) but I loved the plot and conclusion. To watch our beloved Sherlock become quite insane was actually a very enthralling prospect. And I have to admit that from what I have heard this one ties in very nicely with the BBC series.
Dawn Cancellieri
Sep 26, 2016 Dawn Cancellieri rated it really liked it
People seem to have extremely mixed feelings about this story. Even though it is not anywhere near canonical, the only problem I had was that I actually found it a little predictable. Without giving away any spoilers, I developed two theories right from the very beginning of the novel, tending more towards one of them as the narrative progressed. It turns out I guessed right. Even though the author takes the characters in extremely different directions from the original source material, I was ...more
Baker Street Irre...: The Last Sherlock Holmes Story ****SPOILERS**** 5 69 Dec 01, 2012 04:15PM
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
Michael Dibdin was born in 1947. He went to school in Northern Ireland, and later to Sussex University and the University of Alberta in Canada. He lived in Seattle. After completing his first novel, The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, in 1978, he spent four years in Italy teaching English at the University of Perugia. His second novel, A Rich Full Death, was published in 1986. It was followed by ...more
More about Michael Dibdin...