Start by marking “The Last Sherlock Holmes Story” as Want to Read:
The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,403 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
For fifty years after Dr Watson's death, a packet of papers, written by the doctor himself, lay hidden in a locked box. The papers contained an extraordinary report of the case of Jack the Ripper and the horrible murders in the East End of London in 1888. The detective, of course, was the great Sherlock Holmes - but why was the report kept hidden for so long? This is the s ...more
Published 1995 by Oxford Uinversity Press (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

Emily
Apr 13, 2012 Emily rated it did not like it
Oh my god. Literally. Just don't read this book. That's all I can say. Promise me? PROMISE? Don't do it. It'll ruin you for at least a whole day with rage and an intense feeling that you just wasted two hours of your life that you can't get back. But you know, if you want someone to take Holmes and mostly destroy him as a character then yeah, go for it. This is JUST the book for you. Otherwise, STAY AWAY.
Richard
May 06, 2012 Richard rated it did not like it
Dibdin is a decent writer, and I found the writing itself rather enjoyable. That's the upside. But I absolutely detested this particular book because of the story and the premise. When I finished it, I wanted to throw it across the room, stomp on it, and then tear it into little pieces. I settled for fobbing it off to a used bookstore, where hopefully it languishes unread, instead of infecting the psyche of some other poor sod...
Amy Sturgis
I understand why this Sherlock Holmes-meets-Jack the Ripper novel is controversial among (even hated by) some Holmes fans who are wed to one interpretation of the detective, but I found it to be fascinating and very well rooted in the canonical Holmesian texts. Its sophisticated (and darkly Gothic) psychological look not only at Holmes (whom I found to be poignantly redeemed at the end, contrary to what I'd expected from other reviews) but also at the wonderful Dr. Watson kept me very interested ...more
Cherie
Jun 11, 2014 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not consider myself a Sherlock Holmes purest, but I confess that a certain revelation in the story, when I came to it, did give me a few minutes of angst. I spent more than a few minutes thinking about whether I could accept the story line and keep reading. I admit, my first reaction was “No, this is not my Sherlock Holmes!” It has happened to me before.

I was enjoying the writing style. I thought Mr. Dibdin had caught the flavor Holmes and Watson very well. Everything Author Conan Doyle wa
Rose
Ewan Li
Apr 27, 2015 Ewan Li rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Last Sherlock Holmes Story"is written by MIchael Dibdin. When I finished read this book, I can't believe the story of this book is a real story. It was very amazing and fantastic.
Then, I didn't like this story of this book, when I first read this book, I thought this book like a Detective Conan,
but it wasn't there not many mystery quiz.
I like the part that Holmes and Mr. Waston show their friendship.
George
Aug 25, 2013 George rated it did not like it
If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, I don't think this is a book for you. This is supposed to be a Holmes story written by Dr. Watson and held back for 50 years as provided in his will. Perhaps it is a good reading novel, though you pretty much know what is going to happen part way through, but I didn't care for its portrayal of Holmes. The Holmes in this story is not "my" Holmes.
Aldean
Oct 20, 2008 Aldean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated, hated, hated this book.

To be perfectly fair, I was fourteen or fifteen when I found this on the shelf at the public library. I was a recently-minted Sherlock Holmes fan, and had been devouring The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes, so I was eager to read anything that had "Sherlock Holmes" anywhere on the cover. So this depth-plumbing horror was my very first Holmes pastiche, and probably a bit "mature" for me at that particular stage in my reading life. I consider it possible that s
Feb 07, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I found this book truly disturbing.
Natalie Dale
Jul 24, 2011 Natalie Dale rated it it was ok
When I first began reading this I thought it was a good read which stayed true to the previous works of ACD but also gave some inventive explanations and changes to give a different perspective on the infamous Sherlock Holmes. However, the twist is revealed half way through the book and, although abandoned by Watson as ridiculous at points, still does not lead to a surprise ending and appears to be very much an anti-climax after a trundling narrative in parts. Although it is still worth a read, ...more
Annette
Jul 08, 2010 Annette rated it did not like it
Manny
Dec 17, 2008 Manny rated it really liked it

Looking through the other reviews, I can see that either you love this book or you hate it. I'm in the first group. First, Dibdin shows you that he can capture the flavor of the old Arthur Conan Doyle stories perfectly; then, not content with merely imitating, he adds some disturbing new elements to the legend. In the afterword, he asks you to forgive him. It's heresy, he freely admits, but the heresy of the true believer. An eloquent and accurate summary!

Gram
Jan 14, 2016 Gram rated it really liked it
Re-read this more than 35 years after it was first published. Probably the best Sherlock Holmes pastiche ever written. This was Michael Dibdin's 1st novel and it is a terrific tale, as Holmes and Watson try to hunt down Jack The Ripper. But there is a twist in this tale which is incredible. A must read for any fan of detective fiction.
Jun 19, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
Becky
May 16, 2016 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review should contain only one word, that is -

BULLSHIT.

A boy whose name starts with Q spoiled this book's ending to me when I was at high school. So I did not check it out until now. What can I say? The ending, when I first heard it, was already bullshit enough. But now, after reading this and experiencing the writing (which was actually good) and the plot, I still think it is bullshit.
Subin
Nov 10, 2015 Subin rated it really liked it
James
Apr 20, 2014 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, crime
An abomination of a Sherlock Holmes novel for the purists. On its own merits a weak story. Unsealed Watson papers cover Holmes' seeking to solve the Ripper murders. If this sounds lazy it's because it is.
Riju Ganguly
Apr 23, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
An extremely clever take on the whole Holmes v/s Ripper concept, with a twist-ending that will take your breath away! I know, it reads like those blurbs that we get to read on paperbacks ('The cover will show you somebody shot/the back will tell you what is the plot'!), but that is the most succint description of this book that I can produce without producing spoilers en masse! Read it, curse Michael Dibdin to the core (the guy is dead, so really can't effect any harm), and then keep thinking: w ...more
Amélia
Aug 16, 2016 Amélia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-crime
Actual rating : 3.5

My thoughts about this book can be resumed in one image.

description
Alan Brindley
Jan 24, 2014 Alan Brindley rated it did not like it
KL Caley
Dec 02, 2015 KL Caley rated it liked it
Hmmm… I am not sure what to make of this book – I have read other reviews and well they are very mixed and that is my opinion of this book – mixed.

There was parts I thought were great. Holmes as narrator was particularly well written and I actually enjoyed the locations and the time period. I actually really liked the concept of this book with Sherlock on the hunt for Jack the Ripper and trying to decipher if Jack was actually arch-nemesis Moriarty.

Onto the bad, I did feel the detective’s class
Btevault
Apr 17, 2015 Btevault rated it really liked it
39. The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, Michael Dibdin
1978, 192 pgs, 25 of Reader's Choice, reread (first in a decade)

And said preconceptions (about Sherlock's general inability to convincingly play a romantic lead) are likely in part drawn from this book. I read it ages ago, but so long ago that I'd honestly forgotten the denouement. Wow.Michael Dibdin doesn't disappoint, but this is one of my favorites. So freaking dark, a twist on the canon, but so aware of the canon that it's entirely believabl
James Bojaciuk
Apr 08, 2015 James Bojaciuk rated it really liked it
You know the twist.

You wouldn't be here if you didn't.

But for the handful of readers who stumble here, innocent to the gory ways of the world, we'll ignore the twist in the room no matter how much Alfred Hitchcock and Rod Serling may stare at it jealously. Dibdin is the first to make a certain twist work. This will, perhaps, be his lasting memorial. But I say nothing more.

This is, of course, one of innumerable stories pitting Sherlock Holmes against Jack the Ripper. More pour forth from pens eve
Caroline Bennett
Apr 07, 2015 Caroline Bennett rated it did not like it
Jib Jetrsinpaisan
Aug 22, 2014 Jib Jetrsinpaisan rated it liked it
I wasnt quite sure what is my feeling about this book. YES! I DO LOVE HOLMES. After i finished this book, my first thought was like what the hell! Dibdin just completely destroyed my holmes.

But at the same time, i think he is kinda great writer. Considering the writing itself, i found it's quite enjoyable. Holmes met Jact the Ripper and then what? Holmes met Moriaty an then what? I just couldnt put my hands off the book ( i finished it like 2-3 hours).

It almost a good book until i read the las
Mitsuki Mizutani
Jul 09, 2014 Mitsuki Mizutani rated it really liked it
1. Publisher/Level: Oxford/3
2. 06/17=200minutes
3. Seven-word summary: 1)real story 2)Jack the Ripper 3)women 4) 5)ripped up 6)clever 7)Moriarty

4.(a): "The letters E,S,C and N are Eddowes, Stride, Chapman and Nicholl, the last four women he has murdered,' Holmes said. 'The diagram shows the place where each died. 'And X, I suppose, is some unknown woman, the one that he plans to kill tonight,' I said. 'But how do you know where to put the X on your diagram?' 'Look again, Watson,' Holmes said with
Trololoshka
Jan 22, 2016 Trololoshka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My books name is 1Cthe last Sherlock Holmes story 1D by Mr.Conan.This book is non-fiction and genre is mystery.I chose this book because I like Sherlock Holmes stories.

The book is about the fight Sherlock Holmes and Doctor with a CRIME.The challenge in this book is to kill Moriarty .And Doctor Watson have a GIRLFRIEND.

I think this book is for 10 - 12 years old.It is very misterios and alit bit surprising at the end,and also this is the last book about Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Vatson.

Patrick Hilyer
Mar 26, 2013 Patrick Hilyer rated it really liked it
OK, so this was a second-time read, but despite knowing the ending I enjoyed the clever way Dibdin dovetails Holmes and Watson into the grisly events in Whitechapel in 1888 – an over-used fictional conceit these days, but pretty original when the story was published in ‘78. A compelling and authentic voice that stops short of lampooning Conan Doyle’s bumbling Doctor or his enigmatic ‘consulting detective’.
Beth G.
Four stars because I think the writing is very good, and I rather liked how Didbin managed to answer my "But what about the...?" questions by the end. It's definitely an odd book, and I couldn't quite buy into this particular version of Holmes. I do wonder how I would have reacted had I not actually already known the twist going in, but there's nothing to be done about that.
Cheryl
Mar 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I am a true and loyal fan of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, however, I can accept Holmes as portrayed by other writers. Some other writers, that is, but not this one. I wanted to like this book but I couldn't. Michael Dibdin was a fine writer and I was fully expecting to enjoy this book. After all, it has great subject matter...Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper. It turns out I didn't enjoy anything about this book.
There is no mystery in this novel because the mystery is given away half
Baker Street Irre...: The Last Sherlock Holmes Story ****SPOILERS**** 5 68 Dec 01, 2012 04:15PM
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
Michael Dibdin was born in 1947. He went to school in Northern Ireland, and later to Sussex University and the University of Alberta in Canada. He lived in Seattle. After completing his first novel, The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, in 1978, he spent four years in Italy teaching English at the University of Perugia. His second novel, A Rich Full Death, was published in 1986. It was followed by Ratki ...more
More about Michael Dibdin...