Start by marking “A Visitor from Outer Space” as Want to Read:
A Visitor from Outer Space

A Visitor from Outer Space

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Hoity-Toity (A. Belayev)
Spontaneous Reflux (Arkady & Boris Strugatsky)
A Visitor From Outer Space (A. Kazantsev)
The Martian (A. Kazantsev)
Infra Draconis (G. Gurevich)
Professor Bern's Awakening (V. Savchenko)
Translated from the Russian.
Published July 1st 2001 by Fredonia Books (NL) (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about A Visitor from Outer Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Visitor from Outer Space

Oleg Kagan
To be honest, there is not a whole lot of "Soviet" to this science fiction nor is there a lot of outer space (even though the front cover states that it contains, "Striking tales from outer space" and the back cover touts "Life in outer space, Russian style"). What this book does have is six entertaining stories (three of them set in outer space) that range from taut 19th-century tales of strange places and circumstances, and some more characteristic of hard sci-fi of 40-50 years later.

Of the fo
Miramira Endevall
I really, really enjoyed 5/6 of these stories, they were utterly delightful. I also particularly enjoyed Asimov's thoughtful introduction. I confess it was strange to see a character remark, "The world has enough Hitlers, Trumans and Roosevelts; we need no more tyrants." It was also strange to read just how much farther advanced the Soviet writers believed American technology to be.
Aathavan
The story that made the book worthwhile for me is 'Professor Bern's awakening'. It is an unsophisticated yet thrilling look at a professor who freezes himself to survive past the nuclear winter and the next ice age - insights at many levels.
Michael Burnam-fink
I picked this up at a used bookstore based on the cover alone, and for the chance of a glimpse into the Soviet mindset. From a literary perspective, there's not much to recommend these stories. They're fairly standard Golden Age scifi, with all the clumsiness that that entails, plus the added awkwardness of being a work in translation. Sadly, of the six stories only two are of any interest; a pair of linked stories theorizing that the Tunguska explosion was a spacecraft from Mars. The theory tha ...more
Erik Graff
May 01, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: communist sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
While visiting the family in Norway in 1962, aged ten, I had a lot of time on my hands. We were constantly visiting relatives and friends of Mother. There were lots of parties. The grownups drank and smoked every night, chatting among themselves--in Norwegian.

Although I'd grown up in a bilingual household, Mother being from Oslo and Father knowing the language from his studies there after the war, and had gone to Norwegian pre-school, first grade in the States had caused me to forsake further us
Keith Bell
Don't know why this is listed with Violet L. Dutt as author, she has nothing to do with the book. Read this many years ago. I have the original 1962 edition, not the cover shown here.
John
A nice selection if a little dry
Andrew Zissou
Interesting but largely uncaptivating for the most part. Worth it though for the final story: Professor Bern's Awakening.
D C
D C marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Zenctheo
Zenctheo marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Felix Purat
Felix Purat marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
David Lacy
David Lacy is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Shahrukh Hasnine
Shahrukh Hasnine marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Chowdhury Golam Kibria
Chowdhury Golam Kibria marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Janitha Sampath
Janitha Sampath marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Skeletonrobot
Skeletonrobot marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Lucy
Lucy added it
Dec 18, 2014
B Ravi
B Ravi marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Hussain
Hussain marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Haljon
Haljon marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Murali P
Murali P marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Alec
Alec is currently reading it
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alexander Romanovich Belyaev (Russian: Александр Романович Беляев, Александр Беляев; born 16 March 1884 in Smolensk, Russian Empire; died 6 January 1942 in Pushkin, USSR)

Born in Smolensk, at the age of 30 Alexander became ill with tuberculosis. Treatment was unsuccessful; the infection spread to his spine and resulted in paralysis of the legs. Belyayev suffered constant pain and was paralysed for
More about Alexander Belyaev...
The Amphibian Professor Dowell's Head Остров Погибших Кораблей Продавец Воздуха Ariel