Start by marking “Fallen (Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fallen (Fallen, #1)

Fallen (Fallen #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  378,119 Ratings  ·  16,547 Reviews
What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?

17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart.

Hardcover, 1st Edition, 452 pages
Published December 8th 2009 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Fallen, please sign up.

Cat Honestly, I don't know why there's so much hate for this book because I loved this series. I've probably read this series over 5 times, and just…moreHonestly, I don't know why there's so much hate for this book because I loved this series. I've probably read this series over 5 times, and just reading the description makes me want to re-read it. But then again, I seem to dislike the popular books that everyone says are amazing and love the ones that most people do not enjoy.
Anyway, I think you should at least give this book a try. I loved it, and maybe you will too.(less)
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
2nd out of 4,559 books — 9,033 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Giver by Lois LowryCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Young Adult Books
62nd out of 10,459 books — 70,838 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 18, 2015 Penny rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone who's a glutton for punishment
First off, I'd have given this book zero stars were it possible, but since it isn't I gave it one star. This book is full of fail, end of story. There is no other way to describe this book, really.

That's a lie. There is another way to describe how bad this book is. Take everything that sucked about the Twilight series and multiply that by any number (except zero. Or one. Or any negative number. Aw, crap, you know what I mean). Because really, this book is a bad version of Twilight except with f
Kat Kennedy
Dec 04, 2013 Kat Kennedy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one. Ever. For any reason other than to teach them how NOT to write.
"In this lifetime you're nothing more than you appear to be: a stupid, selfish, ignorant, spoiled little girl who thinks the world lives or dies on whether she gets to go out with some good-looking boy at school. Even if your death wouldn't accomplish something so long-awaited, glorious, and grand, I'd still relish this moment, killing you."

I'm sorry, was I supposed to agree with absolutely everything the evil villain said and wait, with baited breath, for her to kill Lucinda Price painfully on
Evidence of this book's similarities to Twilight:

1. New girl at school
2. Mary Sue
3. Girl attracts the hottest guys even though she has no personality or depth or anything remotely interesting about her
4. Guy is extremely mysterious (because he stands at a corner and glares at everyone passing by) rude, and tells the girl to stay away from him
5. Guy follows her around, and the girl isn't fazed whatsoever
6. Guy is 100-and-something-years-old and girl is 17

I don't understand. What is it with YA par
[WARNING: Insanity ahead. And a few spoilers, but no one cares about those.]

Demo: Hello, everyone, and welcome to episode 2 of What the Hell Were You Thinking?! Tonight's guests are a special treat: Luce Price, Daniel Grigori, and Gabbe.... Something!

Daniel: [just sits there scowling]

Luce: [trying to hide in her curtain of hair]

Gabbe: [waving excessively] HOWADAY Y'ALL!!!! AHM GAHYABAY!! NAHCE TO MAEET Y'ALL!!!! [Translation: Hello everyone. I am Gabbe. Nice to meet all of you.]

Feb 28, 2016 Kiki rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Broken dry wall
Recommended to Kiki by: A piece of broken dry wall
Mar 04, 2012 hayden rated it did not like it

A more formal review of this book is on my blog which is still new. xD Check it out!

Updated: March 9th, 2012.

Also everyone, click here. *sigh* A fucking movie. Just what I needed.

Lucinda. Fucking. Price.

You'd still stalk a guy even after he flipped you off when you first locked eyes with him? Even if he told you STRAIGHT IN THE FACE that he didn't want ANYTHING to do with you.

Why? Just...why?

I mean, he's hot. I get it. But what the fuck about Daniel Grigori is even remotely close to sweet
Apr 05, 2012 Lyndz rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I didn’t like this book the first time I read it, when it was called Twilight.
Nov 02, 2011 Zara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fucked
Steph Sinclair
Boring, lacking interesting characters, boring, terrible love interest, Bella Swan, boring. There are so many things I could rant about the 30% that I read, but instead I shall review this is one gif.

photo baddecision_zps7e121ea0.gif
Mar 19, 2010 Annalisa rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Girls who want sexual tension without substance and don't mind being kept in the dark
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Reading this book was like walking through fog, or to pull description from the book, with black shadows blocking my view of everything, only it's not the black shadows that got in my way but the MC, Luce, and the author, Kate. I have no idea what the school looked like (no more that a glimpse of this and that) or what the characters were like (same thing, just glimpses that don't add up to anything) or even what was going on in any of the action scenes because a) Luce doesn't notice anything ex ...more
Nov 17, 2009 Meghan rated it it was ok
*This review has some spoilers for plot!*

Just as vampires are becoming old hat in YA literature, angels have swooped in to take their place in the pantheon of paranormal romance heroes--who knew? I was rather dubious of the whole trend (and still am), but boy, do I love me some Old Testament crazy, so I thought, "Let's see what they do with this." Even with my low expectations, I found this disappointing!

We begin with Daniel Grigori (whose last name gives the whole thing away if you know your s

UPDATE: In celebration of my good friend Saha joining GoodReads I am re-posting my review of Fallen.

Who else was sucked in to this one by the cover?

Actually, Fallen was recommended to me by a friend who had almost had a conniption whilst telling me how 'spectacular' it was. And because I value this particular friend to the highest possible degree I assumed she would never subject me to anything that would fill me with the desire to RIP MY OWN BRAIN CELLS O
Carolyn  Storer
4.5 Stars

I was really excited about reading Fallen, the cover is absolutely gorgeous and I just had to have it! Luckily I received an ARC, thanks to Random House Children's Books. This is another book that has had a lot of hype recently and, as with Hush Hush, it had a lot to live up to. I have read negative as well as positive reviews, so I went in with a completely open mind, and I wasn't disappointed.

The story starts out a little slow at the beginning and not a lot really happens in the way
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at:

Hmmmm, I wonder what my friends thought of this one????
Palm Springs commercial photography

^^^^^“This should end well,” said no Mitchell ever.

Let me begin by swearing to all of you that I’m not becoming one of those “rage reviewers.” You know who I’m talking about. They are the people who seem to only choose books they know right from the jump they will hate and then write up a huge rant only to repeat the process over and over and over to infinity and beyond.

Fallen ha
There's nothing I dislike more than a book that's just downright boring with less than intriguing characters. Oh wait, silly me, yes there is! I can't stand this new trend of shoving shallow storylines into needless series and trying to hook the reader with an annoying cliffhanger. Not right IMHO. This book came across as an incomplete story, where there were many questions left unanswered, and done so in such a sloppy manner that they came across as plot holes. For me, this book was a mental eq ...more
Dec 20, 2010 Thomas rated it it was ok
Fallen is one of those books that should not be judged by its cover. Despite the alluring, ambiguous plot promised by the book jacket, this book fell flat in way too many areas.

The story is about Lucinda Price, who is sent to Sword and Cross boarding school after being suspected of arson. She also claims to have seen shadows stalking her, which only adds to the paranoia people presume of her. There, she meets some nice friends - but no one compares to the attractive and mysterious Daniel Grigori
Feb 13, 2012 Kogiopsis rated it did not like it
EDIT: Forgot to add original half-started review at the end. Fixed!

Some time back I postulated on Facebook that all YA PNRs were trying to be the Doctor and Rose, and that they were all failing miserably. I never meant that idea to make it into a review, and yet... well, here we are, aren't we? So welcome to a review in which I use Doctor Who to explain this burgeoning genre in general, and Fallen in particular. Even if you don't know the show, it should be fairly cogent.

Let's start with the 'wh
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a tricky book to review, for a very simple reason: I did not know what this book was about, or what kind of book it was, when I started reading it, and the slow reveal made for a pleasurable, interactive reading experience. So, I'm torn. On the one hand, I want others to have the same experience, which would mean I would have to keep mum about the plot etc. On the other hand, I really really want to talk about what actually happens. See? Torn.

I admit, unashamedly, that I bought this book
Feb 22, 2013 kris rated it liked it
Shelves: angels, young-adult
This book was a bit comfusing for me. The first half of the book was a little boring but the other half was very interesting.I dont know why but for the first time in my life I was annoyed by the 3rd person POV.

Luce is new to the "Sword and Cross" school and everything is so much different than she expected to be. From the fisrt time she lays her eyes on him she has this weird feeling that she already knows him.

He made it clear from the very first moment

And there is a
Mar 07, 2011 Mel rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: masochists who enjoy men who treat them like shit
I know that constant cussing makes a critical review look immature and unintelligent... but you know what? FUCK that. A disgusting, awful, jackass-glorifying book like this deserves to be cussed out, especially after I sat through most of it.

And I'm going to cuss this book out, in the style of the 'Fuck you' speech from 25th hour. And I don't care how stupid my review is going to look.

Fuck this book, with writing and plot that is so dry that you literally feel deh
jo mo
Aug 09, 2012 jo mo rated it did not like it

the main character was incredibly boring, annoying and flat. (the others too, actually, but let's stick with the main character to get to the point)

every few pages lucinda had to tell us how strong and mighty daniel was, how fascinating his hair was and how hurt and excited she felt, if daniel didn't even deign to look at her. let me quote from the book's only (sometimes) likeable character, penn (- yes, it was that bad):

“my point is,” luce said finally, “i’m not so superficial that all i’m l
Jan 11, 2011 SKB rated it it was ok
Steph Su
May 09, 2012 Steph Su rated it did not like it
Shelves: debs09, problematic
If FALLEN is the future of YA supernatural fiction, then I fear for this genre. FALLEN is painfully dull and slow, with very little besides the concept of fallen angels and the suggestion of an impossible romance to recommend it to readers.

If the plot of FALLEN were to race a glacier, the glacier would win. From the moment Luce arrives at Sword & Cross, the plot feels like it’s always tripping over its own feet in order to explain itself, and to no avail. I don’t mind a gradually building pl
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Jan 27, 2011 Maja (The Nocturnal Library) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Horrible. Just horrible and unreadable. That is all.
Oct 25, 2010 Joyzi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind worthless books
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Don't Judge Me.

I really wanted to like the book. I really do. However I was really disappointed. Maybe it was due to:

a)awful writing
b)cheesy dialogues
c)annoying characters
d)unbelievable mix of plots from Twilight, Hush Hush and Evermore

e) all of the above

It was just OKAY for me so I gave it 2 stars. It's just that the whole book is pretty damn boring and I really don't get it (the whole shadow thing and the war thing).

I don't know maybe I'm abnormal or whatever, because my friend reall
May 27, 2011 Vicki rated it did not like it
I curse the day I ever set eyes on this book. I'll tell you why: it's just a confirmation of how horrible crap with hollow characters just gets churned out like crazy in this country. It's like these dreadfully boring, insipid or just flat out awful characaters exist just to have the personality of the reader transposed into them. To me, this is dangerous.

But, back to this book, specifically: The plot is confusing, irritating, and ridiculous. There are angels, somehow trapped in a crap reform sc
Warning: spoilers ahead!

I’m going to begin listing the things I actually liked about this book. I loved how Luce was sent to a boarding school with people who were misfits. The setting and the scenery of the school was really well done too. The old church buildings sounded very decrepit and scary and I wouldn’t want to live there, let alone walk around in the dark on my own. No thank you. And a cemetery for detention and as a hanging place? Egh. Creepy. Oh, and I liked Arriane, no matter how ran
Aug 08, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book and the series. I actually started the second book in an attempt to force me to like it. Didn't work. Kate is a wonderful writer who doesn't overly indulge in the use of metaphors. Her writing is straight forward and simple. I did get lost in some of the descriptions though and action scenes were confusing at times. The real reason I won't be continuing the series is Luce. She is one of the most annoying YA characters. I found myself repeatedly saying, "Stop you ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Fallen Series by Lauren Kate - Reading "Rapture" From November 26th 2016 182 323 Oct 21, 2016 07:03AM
Fantasy and Vampi...: YA BOM October 2016- Fallen By Lauren Kate 3 25 Oct 18, 2016 11:06AM
Contemporary YA: Fallen 4 7 Oct 02, 2016 06:23PM
The Fallen Series...: FINALLY the movie TRAILER was RELEASEDD !!!!!! 7 26 Sep 30, 2016 07:50PM
Movie! 21 119 Sep 23, 2016 07:15AM
Fallen Movie Trailer is out!! 1 13 Sep 21, 2016 05:46PM
The movie is coming!! 2 13 Sep 21, 2016 10:41AM
  • Evernight (Evernight, #1)
  • Fade (Wake, #2)
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Flutter (My Blood Approves, #3)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)
  • Dragon's Oath (House of Night Novellas, #1)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Kiss of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8)
  • Love Bites (Vampire Kisses, #7)
Lauren Kate grew up in Dallas, went to school in Atlanta, and started writing in New York.
She is the author of Fallen and The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove. She lives in Laurel Canyon with her husband and hopes to work in a restaurant kitchen, get a dog, and learn how to surf.
She is currently at work on the sequel to Fallen.
More about Lauren Kate...

Fallen (5 books)
  • Torment (Fallen, #2)
  • Passion (Fallen, #3)
  • Rapture (Fallen, #4)
  • Unforgiven (Fallen, #5)

11 trivia questions
16 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?” 1413 likes
“Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed.” 1179 likes