Start by marking “The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)

The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (The Brixton Brothers #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  2,400 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
Steve Brixton always wanted to be a detective...
until he found out he already WAS one.

It all starts here: The thrilling story of Steve Brixton's first case. Our hero has a national treasure to recover, a criminal mastermind to unmask, and a social studies report due Monday -- all while on the run from cops, thugs, and secret-agent librarians.

Since when can librarians
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 14th 2009)

Betsy
Jul 29, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
Kid walks into your library. Says he wants a mystery series. A new mystery series. You hand him Encyclopedia Brown. He withers you with a glance. You hand him Enola Holmes. His upper lip curls at the female protagonist (it happens). You hand him a recent Hardy Boys where they fight terrorists. He looks at you like he may be seriously doubting your sanity. You finally hand him The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity by Mac Barnett, the first in The Brixton Brothers series. He sighs in relief an ...more
Kate Willis
Dec 05, 2016 Kate Willis rated it it was amazing
I've always loved (and slightly laughed at) children's detective novels, so this book was a real treat! It celebrated the cliche in a preposterous, humorous way while disproving some of the old flex-your-muscles-when-you're-tied-up tricks in the process. ;) The main character has some crazy adventures with detective manual and wits tested to the limits as he faces kidnappers, thieves, (view spoiler), and the whole police department. I really enjoyed the ...more
Vimal Thiagarajan
Sep 30, 2016 Vimal Thiagarajan rated it liked it
An experimental light read that I took up searching for something similar to Hardy boys. It's that kind of YA mystery where juvenile sleuths who've never been behind the wheel go about honking and tonking in stolen police cars, and the police go about chasing them in commandeered bicycles painted blue with white bubbles and sporting a basket in front. But that is to say nothing of a clever twist here or an intelligent dash of good humor there. Sometimes I thought it to be perfect for the target ...more
Nan Sprester
Nov 06, 2011 Nan Sprester rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, mystery
Omigosh, I love this book. It's an homage to the Hardy Boys and a send-up at the same time. My fellow school librarians should read this first book in the series if for no other reason than to savor the notion of librarians as part of an elite force of secret agents. For students looking for humor with their mystery, this series should fit the bill.
Nicole
Oct 23, 2012 Nicole added it
The case of the case of Mistaken Idenity identiy is about a boy named steve brixten and his favorite writer is Mac Bart. I think that is realy cool that steve has a favortie writer because you can read the whole seres or just the one book and know they are good because it is your favortie author. He writes letters to Bart and one day he gets one back form Mac. I was really exited when i heard that he gets a letter because it is so awsome that he got a letter from his favorite author,then he gose ...more
Cara
“Dear Mom,
I won't be home this weekend because I'm wanted for treason and I have to clear my name. Also, I took the last Sprite from the fridge.
Love, Steve”

The audio version of this book was very well done. The narrator does a good job.
The story itself was funny. Steve loves detective stories, so when he gets caught up in a mystery he is well prepared.
He is up against librarians, the police, and a mysterious bad guy named Mr. E.
With the help of his chum, Steve tackles "The Case of the Case of
Melissa K.
Dec 06, 2012 Melissa K. marked it as to-read
Steve Brixton always wanted to be a detective, until he found out he was one. Just giving cereal box tops and $1.95 for handling and shipping you get a detective lisence. One day, Steve was given a homework assignment on needlework, though he would have rather written about detectives whom his best chum, Dana got. When Steve goes to the library, he shows the librarian his "detective lisence" and wants to get the book on american needlework, things start to go wrong. The library thinks Steve work ...more
Sophia
Jul 05, 2011 Sophia rated it really liked it
The boys in my elementary library would not leave this book on the shelves long enough during the school year for me to read it. And when they kept coming in asking me for more like it, I knew I had to read it myself just so I would know what they are looking for!

This book has all the classic elements that boys are looking for in a book -- mystery, detective work, a little humor, and lots of very SHORT cliffhanger chapters that will leave them saying, "OK, just one more chapter!"

The illustration
Michael
Feb 13, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
Part Encylopedia Brown, part Hardy Boys homage and parody, the first installment in the Brixton Brothers mystery series is a lot of fun and one of those books that kids will get a kick out of while older readers smile at the jokes and references.

Steve Brixton is an ordinary kid who loves reading the fictional adventures of the Baily Brothers (his favorite is whichever in the 50 plus series he's reading at the time). Steve is assigned a school project to write about the history of quilt making, s
Ensiform
Oct 15, 2016 Ensiform rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Steve Brixton, normal kid and superfan of an old detective series called The Bailey Brothers, finds himself involved in a bizarre caper involving a top secret spy organization called Librarians (who are also librarians). These Librarians enlist a reluctant and incredulous Steve to find the McGuffin Quilt, a Revolution-era quilt on which is encoded all of America’s most important secrets.

What makes this book stand out among the many mysteries and thrillers with kid protagonists is the humor. Firs
Treasa
Twelve-year-old Steve Brixton has always dreamed of being a detective. He hopes one day to be like the Bailey Brothers, the heroes of his favorite books. When Steve is assigned a topic for an essay, his life gets very strange very quickly. Suddenly he finds himself in the middle of a mystery as the suspected criminal, and he needs to use all those skills he learned from the Bailey Brothers to save himself and the world. Who knew early American needlework could be so interesting?

This book cracked
Cameron G.
Nov 06, 2012 Cameron G. rated it it was amazing
I recently finished the book, The Brixton Brothers by: Mac Barnett. It is about a young student named Steve Brixton who goes on an in expected adventure. One day, Steve was at the library to check out a quilting book for a school report. He thought that it was just a normal book, but it turns out that it holds all of the government's secrets. When he checked the book out his life changed for ever. Everything went black and he got kidnaped by a bunch of librarians who claimed that they were the n ...more
Amy
Aug 14, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This was fun! Sort of Hardy Boys meets Nate the Great meets Leave it to Beaver. Steve (never Steven!) consults his Brixton Brothers (like the Hardy Boys) Detective Handbook for advice on everything. This comes in handy with the Librarians accuse him of trying to steal one of America's great knowledge secrets- a quilt-- from the library. (Because Librarians are more skilled than FBI or CIA agents, didn't you know). Meanwhile, the evil schemer trying to get the quilt, Mr. E (like mystery, get it?) ...more
Boni
Aug 03, 2009 Boni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-mg
Um, goodreads, where is the sixth star when I need one?! This book was pure joy for me to read from first page to last. Why? Because it entertained both the writer in me (perfect novel structure, characterizations, suspense, and clever as all get out) AND the kid in me. It is truly kid-friendly- it will entertain kids while not talking down to them, which is what it's all about with a chapter book. Short chapters and a fast-paced fun plot filled with humor and danger and smartness- I'm going to ...more
Mary Ann
Mar 09, 2010 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 3rd, humor, mystery, 4th, boys, 2nd
Did you grow up on the Hardy Boys? Do you love sharing mysteries and adventures with your kids? Look no further, but go right out and snag a copy of The Brixton Brothers: The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity. Mac Barnett's new series is full of chases, excitement and mysteries that only Steve Brixton, the intrepid kid-detective, can solve. This was great as an audiobook, and will hook families with its wit and adventure.

The audio production fits the dry wit of Barnett's writing perfectly. A
Rebecca
Oct 11, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
What fun! This is what happens when a boy who loves the Hardy Boys--uh, I mean, the 'Bailey Brothers'--finds himself caught in a mystery that could have come straight from one of his favorite books. Good thing he has his Bailey Brothers Detective Handbook with him! Bad thing is he's being chased by fifteen secret agent librarians...and all because his teacher wanted him to do a report on early American needlework. Well, we all know that research is not for the faint of heart.
Ms. Foley
Jan 12, 2010 Ms. Foley rated it liked it
If you read the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, or Boxcar Children series, you will appreciate this book. It's kind of a play on those kid detectives. Also, librarians are super spies, so that's kind of cool.
Michael
May 24, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Solid YA mystery. Not as funny as it perhaps thinks it is, but then again, I'm not 10 years old. Probably works better for the target audience than for adult YA lovers, which is not at all a bad thing. Still, fun and light.
Brittany Standard platz
Mar 14, 2012 Brittany Standard platz rated it really liked it
We listened to this Texas Bluebonnet Book on the way back from Amarillo with our nine-year-old-son. It is a definite must if you have a reluctant reader or a child who loves a great action packed mystery. My husband and I loved it too!
Amy
Dec 14, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read aloud for 3rd and 4th graders. I was even thinking it read like it could be turned into a pretty cool movie. The kids really enjoyed it.
Derek Slominski
Oct 17, 2016 Derek Slominski rated it it was amazing
This book is very exceptional for readers who like mystery and suspension.
Molly
Apr 24, 2013 Molly rated it really liked it
Librarians...they're everywhere!

A fun read for kids and grownups alike. Especially, if you happen to be a librarian.

Try this with fans of Fake Mustache
Amanda
Jun 26, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious! Yeah for top secret, skilled librarians! Love the riff on the Hardy Boys! Will fully recommend this to patrons, but I guess, now I will have to keep my identity hidden.
Faith K
Oct 24, 2012 Faith K rated it it was amazing
So good
Cesar Cruz
Mar 12, 2017 Cesar Cruz is currently reading it
Steve Brixton had always wanted to become a detective. This was until he found out he was one. When Steve was assigned a homework assignment on needlework,Steve goes to the library. He then shows the librarian his "detective lisence" and wants to get the book on american needlework, things start to go wrong. The library thinks Steve works for Mr. E, an international criminal. Something got to be interesting with this book.Steve was being chased by librarians, police, a guy who works for Mr. E, a ...more
Bonnie
May 21, 2017 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-list
Audiobook Review
Such a funny mid-level mystery. The author shamelessly channels the Hardy Boys series and catches the belief every reader had while experiencing those famous mysteries. Using tongue-in-cheek humor and reflection, everyone should enjoy this title, and hopefully the series.
Jonas
Mar 09, 2017 Jonas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
It was a good mystery and I loved every page.
Blessing
Oct 02, 2016 Blessing rated it really liked it
Author did a good job of making this book, whose main character loves the fictional series about "The Bailey Brothers", a modern day Hardy Boy book.
Chris
Feb 25, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, humor, light, mystery, guys-read
A note was siting on the kitchen counter, illuminated by moonlight. Steve strained to read it:
Steve,
The police say you are in trouble. I am with Rick looking for you. If you're reading this, call my cell phone. The police can help you.
I love you.
Love,
Mom
Steve grabbed a pen from the top of the microwave and turned the paper over. He wrote:
Dear Mom,
Love,
Steve
Steve p
Andrea
Dec 29, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Barnett is a genius. This parody of the Hardy Boys and other kid mystery detective series is so funny and clever. Every school librarian should be reading them aloud and explaining the humor and brilliant parodies as I suspect some of the jokes may be missed. My favorite part is when agent Mactintosh explains to Steve that librarians are the best trained secret force in the country, if not the world!

A must read.
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Imogene's Last Stand
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According To Susy)
  • Balarama: A Royal Elephant
  • Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Emily's Fortune
  • The Dunderheads
  • The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis
  • Louisa: The Life of Louisa May Alcott
  • The Odds of Getting Even (Tupelo Landing, #3)
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • Aliens on Vacation (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #1)
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
Born to non-farmers in a California farming community, Mac now lives near San Francisco. He's on the board of directors of 826LA, a nonprofit writing center for students in Los Angeles, and he founded the Echo Park Time Travel Mart, a convenience store for time travelers.
More about Mac Barnett...

The Brixton Brothers (4 books)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • Danger Goes Berserk (Brixton Brothers, #4)

“He checked out his surrounding. More books. A drinking fountain. A poster showing a guy slam-dunking a basketball with one hand and holding a book in the other, urging kids to READ! Weird, thought Steve. How can he even see the hoop?

...

You see, Steven, Librarians are the most elite, best trained secret force in the United States of America. Probably in the world."
"No way."
"Yes way."
"What about the FBI?"
"Featherweights."
"The CIA?"
Mackintosh snorted. "Don't make me laugh. Those guys can't even dunk a basketball andd read a book at the same time.”
20 likes