Start by marking “Bandit's Moon” as Want to Read:
Bandit's Moon

Bandit's Moon

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After a narrow escape from the nasty O. O. Mary's clutches, Annyrose ventures forth to find her long-lost brother Lank in gold-digging territory. But the journey is rough, bandits and fiends waiting for the traveler at every bend. Soon Annyrose runs into Joaquin Marieta, legendary bandit of the Gold Rush.

This complete disaster, however, soon appears to be no less than a bl...more
Published April 11th 2000 by Yearling (first published September 17th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bandit's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bandit's Moon

Tommy V
One of the things I wanted to do with my 8-year old son one summer, in addition to swimming, going to county fairs and ball games, and playing in the park, was to read for at least 30 minutes a day. And, to make the experience more enjoyable for him (and to help him with his reading comprehension) we agreed to read the same books.

Bandit's Moon by Sid Fleischman became my son's favourite book that he read so far that summer. It is set during the California Gold Rush of the early 1850s, and tells...more
Miss Amanda
gr 3-6 132 pgs

mid 1800s, Southwest. Ever since her brother left her with O O Mary, 12 year old Annyrose has waited for him to send for her. O O Mary treats Annyrose like a slave and calls her an orphan. But Annyrose knows that her brother is out there and when the bandit Joaqin Murieta robs O O Mary, Annyrose decides to go along with him in hopes he might help her find her brother.

As she gets to know him she finds out that not everything she's heard about Murieta is true. Is he a bandit or a rob...more
AbbyJoy
Jul 23, 2013 AbbyJoy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
If this isn't a classic already, then it definitely should be. Bandit's Moon is by far my favorite childhood book, and still remains one of my favorites even today. Although aimed at middle school aged children, it is a fantastic tale of a young girl who ends up on a crazy adventure with Mexican bandits. Though less detailed than a novel aimed at an older audience would be, I still feel like Bandit's Moon captures the culture of the time period.

Based off a true--though little known--person, ther...more
Questingforaquest
Jun 18, 2012 Questingforaquest rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Boys AND girls, reluctant readers, parents/teachers looking for teachable but fun reads
Recommended to Questingforaquest by: Sunshine State Reader book for the state of Florida
My sister brought this home from school when she was in elementary school and I was in middle school. I picked it up to flip thorugh the pages and didn't put it down until a couple hours later, when I had finished the whole thing. I've given it as a gift and eventually bought a copy for myself, and will still occassionally read it in one sitting; it's one of those books I haave to be careful of picking up, because I'm still liable to have a hard time putting it down!

Sid Fleischman had won a Newb...more
Bayla
Buzzwords: Historical fiction, bandits, Mexico vs. America, seeking gold

"I looked at him and saw that for the great bandit, nothing was altered. He would continue his proud outlaw life, avenging himself on Yankees. Like an arrow in flight, he couldn't change direction"

When Joaquin, the "Robin Hood of the Califoria Gold Rush" comes to the house where Annyrose has been held by the wicked O.O. Mary, she takes the opportunity to escape, to seek her brother. But traveling with the bandits, she learns...more
Kade
I picked up this book when I was still in secondary school (I was a bit of an advanced reader, if I do say so myself), after my junior-high aged cousin left it lying around. It was one of the first books that really hit me, and I daresay that I compare how I fell about other books to how I felt years ago, after I finished this book.

Until today, actually, I couldn't remember the name or the author, but I could still tell anyone who asked what happened and in what order. It had a lasting effect o...more
James
"How is it even possible to make a boring movie about Alexander?" This question was posed by my first-year Greek instructor, Joe Smith, with respect to Oliver Stone's turgid embarrassment. A boring book about Joaquin Murietta, one of the swashbucklingest characters in American history (think real-life Zorro), evokes a similar astonishment. People love Sid Fleischman and, for the most part, I don't get it. I did like his Houdini book, though.
Mike Ehlers
My daughter read this for "Battle of the Books" at school. She said the book confused her a little, but she liked it anyway. I don't know if I would have liked it when I was young, non sci-fi adventure books weren't my thing. But reading it now I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the story. Prejudices and motivations are examined without being too blunt about it. Not bad for my first Fleischman book.
Brittany
To my surprise I actually really liked this tale of Joaquin, the Mexican Robin Hood. It takes place during the California gold rush when greed and racism were at an extreme. It’s an adventure that would intrigue both boys and girls. Many different emotions arise, changes take place, and the plot and characters are well developed. I would definitely recommend this book.
Jori Richardson
Dec 09, 2012 Jori Richardson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
A short, lighthearted book that is just simply a lot of fun to read! The characters, especially O.O. Mary and Joaquin the Bandit, are hilarious and endearing. A funny, action-packed page turner that will especially appeal to middle school readers looking for fun, enjoyable adventures.
I loved this book when I was a kid, it was one of my favorites.
Jeffrey
A great book for an adventure. It makes you excited to read. It's a fictional book about real people. It's hard to believe that they're real people because of how adventurous the story is. It makes me want to learn a lot more about the people.
Everyone should read this book, especially people who like adventures.
It's always tricky writing a book about a famous historical figure (in the case, the early California bandit, Joaquin Murietta), but a separate main character with her own story and strong voice is a good way to start. I read it looking for good old-west flavor and turns of phrase, which it had in spades.
Debbie
This book really grew on me as it went along, and I loved the author's note at the end which explained how he gained his inspiration from true characters and events. Sid Fleischman's books are always a blast to read aloud, and this was no exception.
Elizabeth
A quick and engaging read about Gold Rush era bandit Joaquin Murieta. The female narrator is fiery and brave. The bandit is kindhearted and smart. And the based-in-a-true-character aspect is intriguing.
Marielle
I read this with the kids for a book club. They enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. Led to some chats about history... we also chatted about the complexity of one of the main characters, Joaquin the bandit.
Kristigilbert5
This was a great read-aloud. Lots of action, and a lot to think about. I love books that expand my world-view. Katie thought this book would be boring, but she was riveted.
Wendy
I read this in one sitting. It's a great one. I love the whole outlaw aspect of it. There is also a "what really happened" section at the end of the book.
Elizabeth
Well read out loud. Perhaps good book for discussion with changing viewpoint on "good guys" and "bad guys" and the accuracy of news information ...
Kate O'Neill
Mar 30, 2012 Kate O'Neill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4 and 5th grade girls.
Recommended to Kate by: Emily
Shelves: with-emily
great book for that adventuresome girl in your life. My daughter loved it and recommends it to everyone even now.
Jade
I liked this book. I was a little sad and a little boring but overall, it had a great story and i liked it.
Debby
Mar 16, 2010 Debby added it
"Old book" but 5th graders love it. Good way to talk about gold rush.
Lindy
May 30, 2013 Lindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
30 120 Fleischman, Sid Bandit's Moon 184 rated 3.5
Ykyung0309
i do not like it but my friends said it is funny...
Will Tomlin
this book is about finding a way to her brother
Mas5thgrade2011
it was a little disturbing
very disturbing
Kay
Sep 16, 2012 Kay added it
great historical fiction adventure
Natalie Bright
Fun western read with nonstop action.
Emma
  • Storm Warriors
  • Cat Running
  • Fair Weather
  • Trouble River
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • The Art of Keeping Cool
  • Perloo The Bold
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Thunder Rolling in the Mountains
  • Moccasin Trail
  • The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will m...more
More about Sid Fleischman...
The Whipping Boy By the Great Horn Spoon! Escape!: The Story of the Great Houdini The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West The Entertainer and the Dybbuk