Start by marking “Bandit's Moon” as Want to Read:
Bandit's Moon

Bandit's Moon

After a narrow escape from the nasty O. O. Mary's clutches, Annyrose ventures forth to find her long-lost brother Lank in gold-digging territory. But the journey is rough, bandits and fiends waiting for the traveler at every bend. Soon Annyrose runs into Joaquin Marieta, legendary bandit of the Gold Rush.

This complete disaster, however, soon appears to be no less than a bl
Published April 11th 2000 by Yearling (first published September 17th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bandit's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bandit's Moon

Tommy V
Aug 12, 2015 Tommy V rated it really liked it
One of the things I wanted to do with my 8-year old son one summer, in addition to swimming, going to county fairs and ball games, and playing in the park, was to read for at least 30 minutes a day. And, to make the experience more enjoyable for him (and to help him with his reading comprehension) we agreed to read the same books.

Bandit's Moon by Sid Fleischman became my son's favourite book that he read so far that summer. It is set during the California Gold Rush of the early 1850s, and tells
Bayla
Buzzwords: Historical fiction, bandits, Mexico vs. America, seeking gold

"I looked at him and saw that for the great bandit, nothing was altered. He would continue his proud outlaw life, avenging himself on Yankees. Like an arrow in flight, he couldn't change direction"

When Joaquin, the "Robin Hood of the Califoria Gold Rush" comes to the house where Annyrose has been held by the wicked O.O. Mary, she takes the opportunity to escape, to seek her brother. But traveling with the bandits, she learns
Ale Rivero
Nov 29, 2015 Ale Rivero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta ha sido una entretenida historia de aventura que aúna historia. Joaquín existió, pero poco se sabe de su vida, y las aventuras que nos presenta el autor parecen ir muy bien con el recuerdo que se tiene de él.
A través de la voz de Annyrose podemos conocer a este forajido mexicano que era más bien un Robin Hood californiano.
Puede que esta sea una historia corta y simple, pero está tan bien narrada que se vuelve sumamente entretenida e imposible de dejar hasta ver cómo termima. Muy recomendabl
Questingforaquest
Jun 18, 2012 Questingforaquest rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Boys AND girls, reluctant readers, parents/teachers looking for teachable but fun reads
Recommended to Questingforaquest by: Sunshine State Reader book for the state of Florida
My sister brought this home from school when she was in elementary school and I was in middle school. I picked it up to flip thorugh the pages and didn't put it down until a couple hours later, when I had finished the whole thing. I've given it as a gift and eventually bought a copy for myself, and will still occassionally read it in one sitting; it's one of those books I haave to be careful of picking up, because I'm still liable to have a hard time putting it down!

Sid Fleischman had won a Newb
Laura Verret
The only thing in the world that Annyrose wants, now that her parents have died, is to be reunited with her older brother, Lank. But that’s not as simple as it sounds – her brother left her in the care of O.O. Mary, who he thought would look after her while he galloped off to the gold mines. But as soon as he left, O. O. Mary showed her true colors – cruel, criminal colors.

There’s only one chance for Annyrose to escape from O. O. Mary’s clutches – and that is to throw herself upon the mercies of
AbbyJoy
Jul 23, 2013 AbbyJoy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If this isn't a classic already, then it definitely should be. Bandit's Moon is by far my favorite childhood book, and still remains one of my favorites even today. Although aimed at middle school aged children, it is a fantastic tale of a young girl who ends up on a crazy adventure with Mexican bandits. Though less detailed than a novel aimed at an older audience would be, I still feel like Bandit's Moon captures the culture of the time period.

Based off a true--though little known--person, ther
J.M. McAlpine
Jan 18, 2015 J.M. McAlpine rated it liked it
I listened to this on a long car ride. I find listening to a book is much different from reading. I also think that if I was reading this book, I would've put it down and not finished it.

I'm probably bias because the book was geared towards children - I think 5th-6th grade, not me. Granted there are kid books I like but this one was just ok. It follows the adventure a girl, Annie, takes out west. Eventually, she is picked up by a bandit and spends time with him. (she would argue kidnapped but ..
Miss Amanda
gr 3-6 132 pgs

mid 1800s, Southwest. Ever since her brother left her with O O Mary, 12 year old Annyrose has waited for him to send for her. O O Mary treats Annyrose like a slave and calls her an orphan. But Annyrose knows that her brother is out there and when the bandit Joaqin Murieta robs O O Mary, Annyrose decides to go along with him in hopes he might help her find her brother.

As she gets to know him she finds out that not everything she's heard about Murieta is true. Is he a bandit or a rob
Josiah
Dec 04, 2014 Josiah rated it it was ok
One quickly learns what to expect after reading a Sid Fleischman Western adventure or two: colorful characters with language steeped in the culture of the time period, a deeper mystery that isn't resolved until the plot takes a few blind corners right near the end of the book, and a style and sense of humor that no other creator of juvenile lit can quite match. Bandit's Moon is as entertaining and well-built as any of the Sid Fleischman Westerns I've read, and I have no doubt kids will have a b ...more
Kade
Jun 24, 2012 Kade rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book when I was still in secondary school (I was a bit of an advanced reader, if I do say so myself), after my junior-high aged cousin left it lying around. It was one of the first books that really hit me, and I daresay that I compare how I fell about other books to how I felt years ago, after I finished this book.

Until today, actually, I couldn't remember the name or the author, but I could still tell anyone who asked what happened and in what order. It had a lasting effect o
Mike Ehlers
Dec 10, 2011 Mike Ehlers rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-read
My daughter read this for "Battle of the Books" at school. She said the book confused her a little, but she liked it anyway. I don't know if I would have liked it when I was young, non sci-fi adventure books weren't my thing. But reading it now I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the story. Prejudices and motivations are examined without being too blunt about it. Not bad for my first Fleischman book.
James
Aug 28, 2010 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"How is it even possible to make a boring movie about Alexander?" This question was posed by my first-year Greek instructor, Joe Smith, with respect to Oliver Stone's turgid embarrassment. A boring book about Joaquin Murietta, one of the swashbucklingest characters in American history (think real-life Zorro), evokes a similar astonishment. People love Sid Fleischman and, for the most part, I don't get it. I did like his Houdini book, though.
Jeffrey
Apr 08, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for an adventure. It makes you excited to read. It's a fictional book about real people. It's hard to believe that they're real people because of how adventurous the story is. It makes me want to learn a lot more about the people.
Everyone should read this book, especially people who like adventures.
Jori Richardson
Dec 09, 2012 Jori Richardson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
A short, lighthearted book that is just simply a lot of fun to read! The characters, especially O.O. Mary and Joaquin the Bandit, are hilarious and endearing. A funny, action-packed page turner that will especially appeal to middle school readers looking for fun, enjoyable adventures.
I loved this book when I was a kid, it was one of my favorites.
Kimberly
Jul 10, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I really like how it is historical fiction. The Bandit was real but the biographical details are supposed. I like how the author used Spanish and made us feel like Annyrose at some points. We knew how it would feel to lose a brother, want revenge, want freedom and safety. The character development is real.
Aug 22, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
It's always tricky writing a book about a famous historical figure (in the case, the early California bandit, Joaquin Murietta), but a separate main character with her own story and strong voice is a good way to start. I read it looking for good old-west flavor and turns of phrase, which it had in spades.
Brittany
Mar 17, 2009 Brittany rated it really liked it
To my surprise I actually really liked this tale of Joaquin, the Mexican Robin Hood. It takes place during the California gold rush when greed and racism were at an extreme. It’s an adventure that would intrigue both boys and girls. Many different emotions arise, changes take place, and the plot and characters are well developed. I would definitely recommend this book.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
A quick and engaging read about Gold Rush era bandit Joaquin Murieta. The female narrator is fiery and brave. The bandit is kindhearted and smart. And the based-in-a-true-character aspect is intriguing.
Marielle
Feb 20, 2013 Marielle rated it really liked it
I read this with the kids for a book club. They enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. Led to some chats about history... we also chatted about the complexity of one of the main characters, Joaquin the bandit.
Debbie
Oct 05, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-titles
This book really grew on me as it went along, and I loved the author's note at the end which explained how he gained his inspiration from true characters and events. Sid Fleischman's books are always a blast to read aloud, and this was no exception.
Cate
Apr 24, 2016 Cate added it
This was better than I remembered (read in 1998 - when on DCF list.) It's short and talks about some of the big ideas of the Mexican American War and a great Robin Hood like character. Great 6th grade book for our Latin America reading club.
Kristigilbert5
Jul 16, 2010 Kristigilbert5 rated it really liked it
This was a great read-aloud. Lots of action, and a lot to think about. I love books that expand my world-view. Katie thought this book would be boring, but she was riveted.
Kate O'Neill
Mar 30, 2012 Kate O'Neill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4 and 5th grade girls.
Recommended to Kate by: Emily
Shelves: with-emily
great book for that adventuresome girl in your life. My daughter loved it and recommends it to everyone even now.
Jade
Apr 20, 2011 Jade rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I was a little sad and a little boring but overall, it had a great story and i liked it.
Tia
Jan 20, 2016 Tia rated it it was amazing
Considering I read this book ten years ago, I don't quite remember what this book is about but I remember I LOVED it!!!!! I loved it so much, I named my pet chinchilla "Bandit" after this book!!!!
Gracie
May 02, 2016 Gracie rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-read
I read this book when I was I was nine or so and I don't recall enjoying it much. I might try re-reading it in the future but I highly doubt it
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Well read out loud. Perhaps good book for discussion with changing viewpoint on "good guys" and "bad guys" and the accuracy of news information ...
Karen
Aug 10, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is very quick read. It is an adventure with a little bit of mystery and a little bit of history.
Wendy
Oct 01, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. It's a great one. I love the whole outlaw aspect of it. There is also a "what really happened" section at the end of the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories
  • The Winter People
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • Sun & Spoon
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Don't You Know There's a War On?
  • Gratefully Yours
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • Run Away Home
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • Trouble River
  • Cat Running
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will ...more
More about Sid Fleischman...