Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4.5)

Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #4.5)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  6,593 ratings  ·  165 reviews
This title contains a brilliant "Percy Jackson" mini adventure plus "Horrible Histories Groovy Greeks" - a winning combo for "World Book Day!" The goddess Persephone has summoned Percy, Thalia and Nico to the Underworld in order to retrieve Hades' powerful sword before it falls into the wrong hands. Easier said than done in a world full of evil daimons, ghosts and ghouls....more
Mass Market Paperback, 196 pages
Published February 2009 by Puffin Books

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
16th out of 445 books — 891 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
64th out of 579 books — 2,387 voters

More lists with this book...

▪▮CᴜʀsᴇᴛᴇᴇN▮▪
After I finished The Son of Neptune, my last obsession has been Percy Jackson. And I crave for more of him. So when I saw this one, I didn't waste time.

The Sword of Hades was a short read, as it is intended to be a short story. It's not nearly as thrilling as the others in the first and second series. The writing seemed very basic and kind of rushed/not edited.

I still liked it, though. I love everything that's associated with Percy. In this novelette we were able to have a glimpse of our hero's...more
Kathleen Burket
This book was published in Britain and is hard to find new in the U.S. I sent for a used copy from England before I had read the The Demigod Files which also contains the short story Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades. This edition does contains a humorous report card from Chiron and Dionysus on Percy's summer camp activities that is not included in The Demigod Files, but the report card is one only page long. The second half of the book is called "Horrible Histories Groovy Greeks" and is a ki...more
Neha Dulera
I am a HUGE Percy Jackson fan. I just LOVE the series and Rick with all my heart. As a result, when I heard about this book, I just HAD TO read it. But I am sorry to say this book disappointed me. Immensely.

The story line is an interesting one, that takes place in the Underworld. Persephone summons Percy, Thalia and Nico to help find Hades's sword that is built with a Death's key in the hilt (hope I got the term right :P) This key can lock and unlock death (I know! Right!) and also, theoretica...more
Dec 12, 2008 Laura marked it as to-read
I'm really annoyed that this book is only being released in the UK, at least initially. It might be difficult to get it prior to the publication of the 5th book, and it is supposed to take place between books 4 and 5.
I really enjoyed the first four books in the series, so I'm looking forward to the next two.
Shinpei
Sep 12, 2009 Shinpei marked it as to-read
Since I've read the Percy Jackson & the Olympian seires this book sounds very good! Also, Rick Riodan is a very good author the book title is very cool. "Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades."
Julie
Review to come eventually once I finish a few of my reading challenges.
Shel
Okay, while this may be a short novella, of course the writing is decent. It's Rick Riordan's work for crying out loud! Percy is pulled along with two other demi-gods to the underworld to find the Sword of Hades for Persephone. The story is a quick and enjoyable read.The plot is sorta weak, but it's hard to build a strong one when you've only got a 196 pages or so, so it's excusable. I liked the dialogue; witty and funny, but serious when necessary and there was a few twists that I didn't expect...more
Cameron
This story was good. I do like his writing and Emma and I love to talk about the books with each other. If anyone is wanting to read this book it was released only in the UK but now it is in the USA in the book 'The Demigod Files' so you can find it there.
Minecraft
very cool, I liked how we got to see all three of the big three's kids work together.
Kyleigh
this story is in the demigod files
Kate  K. F.
Another wonderful edition to the Percy Jackson series, The Sword of Hades is a small story that occurs before the last book of the series. For a reader who doesn't know the world of Percy Jackson, this story might be confusing though the plot does not affect the overall series plot. Percy is pulled along with two other demi-gods to the other world to find the Sword of Hades for Persephone and the story is a quick and enjoyable read.

A reader who is not terribly familiar with the tale of Hades and...more
Gabriella
I turned to Thalia. “I'll hold the flower while you beat up the thief?”
She sighed. “Fine. Let's go catch this jerk.

Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades is a short story between The Battle of the Labyrinth and The Last Olympian.

Persephone summons Percy, Thalia and Nico to help find Hades's sword. They are given a potted carnation by Persephone that will help them catch the thief and if all it petals fall off, it means the thief has fled, all hopes lost.

The story is a quick and enjoyable read....more
Almira Monica
Aug 06, 2013 Almira Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every Aspiring Demigods :)
I would trade any of my other books just to complete the Percy Jackson & the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus series. That's how much I love this particular series by Rick Riordan. So when I saw this book, Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades, I literally screamed and fangirled over it while I'm at a book store. Given that, it cost me only half of the original price and I didn't even know that Percy Jackson and the Olympians # 4.5 exists.

I am not gonna spoil you everything because I ha...more
Cielo
Not as good as the others, but still good for a short story. I really like this series, it's one of my favorites, and I had read the other five books and didn't even know this one existed until yesturday. Percy jackson is still as funny as ever, and this time he meets Thalia and nico, the other children of the big three, hmm... Suspicious enough already huh? Nice light read, would definitely recommend.
Sandra
This was actually 2 books in one - the Percy Jackson book, and a book called the Groovy Greeks (which is not by Rick Riordan, but by the makers from the Horrible Histories books). The Groovy Greeks is a funny introduction to Greek history, with loads of random and funny trivia and many comics. It was quite funny and very.. groovy.

The Percy Jackson book was a quick read, only 72 pages, but it had both Percy, Thalia and Nico (who are three of my favourite characters) and so I enjoyed this immensel...more
Rita
The Sword of Hades.
I liked this little adventure Percy, Thalia and Nico go on in the Underworld. It was short and sweet and I enjoyed it a lot. Different Gods make an appearance in this short story and I liked that Hades has finally an official role because there was talking about him in the previous books, but he didn't really show up to say hi.

Also, the writing. I love how sarcastic and witty Percy's thoughts are and although he doesn't know every God and what their role is, he is smart and fu...more
Siera
This was another great book! I loved the whole thing ... ooh up until that excerpt from the fifth book - let's just say I've already finished it so I'm not exactly worried about it anymore. Anyway, the adventures made me laugh and sit on the edge of my seat all at once. Once again Riordan pulls together hilarious humor and fast paced action to make a collection of incredible short stories.
Elton Zhang
In my opinion a little tasteless, and kind of feels like that the author is playing on my love for Percy Jackson and his wild adventures. It felt like that this was shoved thrown my throat and that I had to swallow it whether I liked it or not. Nothing more than a pass time and nothing less.
Melanie
I am so happy I got another story of Percy Jackson!!! This time, i think there should have been a little more background of what Percy new school was like, I just love Ricks discriptions of Percy's different school. If you loved Percy Jackson, this is a great novella if you missed him!!!
Kristine Maite Suarez
well,this was included in the demigod files book..i have taken a liking to this story among the short stories presented in the demigod files since it was a quest by thalia, percy and nico - children of the powerful 3 gods.
Belle Yao
Decent writing, but this is by far the most disappointing Rick Riordan novel I've ever read. It lacks the action I've come to expect from his books. But of course, it was still a decent read, and worth your while. :)
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
I only read the short story. It was alright. Not much happened that seemed like it would impact everything. One thing. Could easily go without reading this. The Report card was ridiculous rather than amusing.
J0j0g1rl
Oct 18, 2010 J0j0g1rl marked it as to-read
Shelves: percy-jackson
wow i am dying to read this book and i cant get because im in the US and im a kid. Rick Riordan is an awesome writer but why did the publishers not do it in the us? lie come on!
Mindy
May 09, 2009 Mindy marked it as to-read
Too bad it's only in the UK. Hmmmmph
Lis
Dec 31, 2012 Lis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mejores
Todo lo que escribe Rick es perfecto.
David Caldwell
This is a flip book containing Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades on one side and Horrible Histories Groovy Greeks on the other side.It was part of a promotion for World Book Day in England.

The Prcy Jackson story has Percy, Thalia and Nico(the children of the big 3 Greek gods)trying to recover the stolen sword of Hades.It is a fun and quick read.

Horrible Histories Groovy Greeks is by Terry Deary and illustrated by Martin Brown.It takes some of the more fun facts of Greek history to try and mak...more
Paulie
percy jackson is a good book it has alot of action in the book i would recommend this book to everyone it has blood and death ansd the sword of hades is the best sword ever invented and is nearly as powerful ans zuez's lightning bolt.Percy get the sword and destroys it and they go back to camp half blood. this is a great book i would recommend it to everyone to read.
by paulie giannetakis
Elisabeth
Dec 31, 2013 Elisabeth added it
Shelves: books-i-own

At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy's instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea's forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors from both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sea

Readingismylife
ѵíղíԵɑ
I read this when it was in the Demigod Files so when I saw the cover I was like "What?" This is a very funny and if you want to understand somethings in the House of Hades, you need to read this. I loved it, and Bob. Great little story for this series.
Sea of Monsters now on Netlifx 2 4 Jul 14, 2014 05:54PM
My Views on Sea of Monsters explained 1 7 Jul 27, 2013 05:07PM
Where can i get this 8 249 May 16, 2013 10:06PM
  • Sam's Journal (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files Bonus)
  • Billy the Kid and the Vampyres of Vegas (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #5.5)
  • The Goddess Queen (A Goddess Series short story #4)
  • Fireworks (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #7)
  • Goddess Bared (Goddess Series, #5)
  • Halo
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)

More about Rick Riordan...
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)

“We got an expression ride back to the palace of Hades. Nico sent word ahead, thanks to some ghost he summoned out of the ground, and within a few minutes the Three Furies themselves arrived to ferry us back. They weren't thrilled about lugging Bob the Titan, too, but I didn't have the heart to leave him behind, especially after he noticed my shoulder wound, said, "Owie", and healed it with a touch.” 19 likes