Start by marking “Dragon's Nest (Dragons of Deltora, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Nest (Dragons of Deltora, #1)

Dragon's Nest (Dragons of Deltora #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  5,046 ratings  ·  90 reviews
The evil shadow lord has been banished, but has left behind the seeds of death. Four vile creations of sorcery are hidden in the land. The companions must find them and destroy them - their only clue the fragment of an ancient map, their only help the last of Deltora's dragons ...
Published November 30th 2003 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Nest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Nest

The Cup Final Mouse Who Did It by David JacksCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryKeys To The Demon Prison by Brandon MullFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Fairy's Mistake by Gail Carson Levine
Best Books In General
23rd out of 63 books — 3 voters
Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeHeroika 1 by Janet E. MorrisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher Paolini
Dragons Included
89th out of 165 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Reagan
Nick Reagan
American Humanities
Review of Dragon’s Nest, By Emily Rodda

There is a king who’s name is Lief, he wears the Belt Of Deltora which is a magical belt that has all the stones of the dragons, each stone has its own magical ability, Lief is plagued by the voice of the shadow king who speaks to him by talking through a crystal embedded in a magic table, lief and his companions Barda (Strong Tough Military advisor) and Jasmine (Strong woman with a gift with nature, who also ha
For the last year or so, my daughter and I have been reading some classic fantasy books at bedtime -- The Chronicles of Narnia, a little Tolkien, etc. They've been almost entirely my (or my wife's) suggestions. So when she came home with the Deltora books and asked me to read them, I felt somewhat obligated. This was the first I read, although (as other reviews have pointed out) it's the beginning of the third Deltora series. It's not nearly as terrible as I feared -- the artwork is weak and the ...more
This was just... Meh.

No real depth to the characters at all. It was a bit transparent and I was able to guess most of what was going to happen in the plot. The book just jumps you into the story so it takes some time to figure out who is who and what is going on, with little to no explanation or backstory. This, however, is okay as the book itself is a pretty straightforward read.

I am a little interested in the rest of the story so I gave the book 3 stars for storyline and interest, but cannot
Jan 12, 2015 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: tears
Welcome back Lief, Jasmine and Barda. Another adventure awaits as the three friends make one final attempt to save their land from The Enemy. True to it's name, this book (and series) is all about Deltora's dragons. Where are they now? What happened to them? And when?

With crops failing and his subjects starving, Lief must set out once again, risking life and limb, to find a way to put a stop to the Shadowlord's poisonous plans. Destination; Dragon's Nest. Welcome back old friends and new, cleve
Becky B
Lief is concerned for his kingdom. The Shadowlord's whisperings from the crystal in the palace are spreading a blanket of doom and dread over the land, foremost within Lief. He is sure if he weren't wearing the Belt of Deltora he would have succumbed to it long agao. He finally decides to try one final desperate attempt to destroy the crystal with the help of his friends Jasmine, Doom, and Bard. They succeed, but as the crystal is being destroyed it start leaking former conversations that happen ...more
Crystal Smith
This series was recommended to me because of its gender balance, but I did not know how many series there were about Deltora. I'm not sure if this is the last series, but I know it is not the first. I am definitely missing some of the back story on the characters.

That being said, I did not feel the book was very well written. It felt contrived and choppy--like a lot of Scholastic series that are produced quickly. Some scenes felt like they came right out of a B-movie. I also found the violent i
Jing Chen
When King Lief comes up with a plan to destroy a crystal that contains the Shadowlord's voice, another mystery appeared. A piece of a map and a story of the Four Singing Sisters is told to the Lief by the librian Josef. The Four Sisters are a plan of the Shadow Lord and his black magic. He has placed them in the four corners of Deltora, north, south, east and west, and they poison the land. That is also the reason why the crops didn't trive in Deltora. The 4 sisters had brough the land to a lon ...more
Husayn Tulloch-jack
I have started reading this book and I really dislike it, mainly because it is a book of fantasy and I hate fantasy books. In some sections of the book it is written with older English which makes it it a little harder to understand than other books. One thing I don't like about this book is that it starts off without explaining what's been going or who are the characters, it basically just starts off like there was a prequel or if it was a prologue. So far I really don't like the book I will gi ...more
May 27, 2014 Kayla added it
This is an amazing book, there are no catch phrases but there's true friendship and adventure.
The friendship the Barda,the head guard,Jasmine the daughter of the blacksmith and talker of trees, and the kings friendship goes way beyond years.

The need to save there homeland is great. The heir of Aiden is most strong near Deltora's hidden dragons. The magic pulls at King Leif like no other pull except the magic of Tora.

Read this to understand th thrill of emotions Leif and his friends feel.
Juliette Molina
Best book in the WORLD! I am reading Dragons Of Deltora: Shadow gate right now, and it is just as good as Dragons Nest! Best book in the WORLD! [Sorry iv already said that.] Some people call me a nerd [Well, i don't know why because i do NOT wear glasses!] But if that means that i LOVE reading, than call me a nerd! My mom says "how can you read those books, there so sad!" Honestley i really like the books with adventure, and add a little blood in there and its a perfect book!
I found this book on our bookshelves, thrown towards the very back. It was ripped, bent and wrinkled, but it had a dragon on the front. I am dragon crazy and was looking for a good book, so I found myself in the world of young Lif, who is either the prince or king of his land. In a race against darkness threatening to take over the kingdom, Lif and his friends must find dragons for some reason I don't remember. I loved this book and just finished reading it for the second time.
McKenzie Richardson
This is a great series for young readers. I read it when I was in college, but still loved it. My favorite part of these books is that there are little puzzles and riddles that the heroes must solve in order to complete their quests and the reader can take part in solving them on their own before reading ahead.

These are the third group of books in Rodda's larger series of Deltora Quest. While the reader can read these without reading the first two groups of books, I think as a whole they are mo

What do you do when you end a commercially successful series? You create a spin-off!

DRAGONS OF DELTORA is just like the DELTORA QUEST. The overarching plot is "defeat the evil demonic creatures and save the land" and the journey is full of colorful (and flat) characters, (simplistic) puzzles, magic (and stock) scenarios etc. Good for inexperienced readers, but everyone else should skip.
Katie Watkins
My kids and I were glad to know that the adventure continues with a new quest. In this book, Leif and the gang are out to destroy the Sisters. There's a reason why the country is suffering and the Sisters seem to be the reason.

The characters are constant and familiar and we enjoyed reconnecting with them. The quest was action-packed, but not quite as much as the previous series.

All in all, fun and entertaining.
Denae Christine
Dec 16, 2011 Denae Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young fantasy-lovers
Shelves: epic-fantasy, dragons
At first I was annoyed that Lief didn't seem to be able to handle much by himself, he seemed to always lean on others or nearly fail and such, but then I realized it wasn't his fault and I liked it afterall. Lief was more of a hero in three and four.

I first read these books before I read Deltora Quest and before Shadowlands, but, now that I've read them all, I can more fully appreciate what has gone into making the characters and world. Now, I'd up my review to 5 stars, but my initial react
The Book the Dragons Nest is about Lief. Its Lief's story but it continued. Lief is now the prince of Deltora. It seems like something bad is going to happen in Deltora. Someone is out to get lief.

I made a text-to-text connection. I can connect this series to the other one. Instead of Lief searching for all the Gems he is now King of Deltora but now he has a lot of things to worry about. The Shadow lord does he still have a grudge with them?

I gave this book 3 stars. I enjoyed this book a little
I read this book to my sons and they loved it. It's super easy to read but is also fun and exciting, with enough plot to keep my interest as well as the boys' attention.
This was a great read. Leif can hear the Shadow Lord's voice inside his head day and night. It is coming from the crystal in a walled-in room on the third floor. The voice taunts Leif and tries to get him to give up. Instead, Leif finds a way to destroy the evil crystal and as it breaks apart, Leif and his closest friends hear voices recorded by the crystal talking about a plot to poison the land by way of the Four Sisters. With the help of Doran the Dragonlover's notes in Deltora Annals and a h ...more
Nice way to start out the series with a lot of mystery and Rolf the Capricorn was the sister of the east
M6 Hope
Okay, I read these books when I was about 11 probably. They are really great for a younger audience - but older than ten. I would recommend this to younger kids 10-11, maybe even 12?
These have great adventures and wonderful, lovable characters. This is a long series, starting with the beginning Deltora books, so if you get hooked, like I did, you have a long way to read!
I kind of read these books out of order, starting first in the Shadowlands series, not knowing there were books before that. T
At first I was confused - this is the first in this series but this isn't the first series about these people, so I felt like I was missing something. Once I realized I was I just enjoyed the story.

I was looking for something to read out loud to the kiddos but this is a little too old for them. There's a scene involving finger removal as punishment - that's beyond what I want to explain to my kids at this point. I can see them both enjoying it when they are a little older though. It's a good sto
This book is about a kid have to save the would. the people in the village think that he cant save the would but some people think hes the king of the village.ther is a lot of dragons are comeing to the village to disstroye it.
i conact this book to text to would because there are people that can save the would like the kid in the book. also i concet this book to my self because i had to save my cat from the street.
i give this book 5 stars because it was inchrsting to me and was a littel
An interesting adventure, well-written and plotted. Can't wait to read the rest of the series :)
Thanks to my grandmother, I had started reading this series with no idea what I was getting myself into. She had given them to me saying no one in the house was interested in them, and I am GLAD she chose to give them to me! This book was one of those Omg-I-Cannot-Believe-How-AWESOME-This-Book-Is, kind of thing! Full of adventure, mystery, dragons and above all- CODE BREAKING! How cool is that? Imagine my distress when I learned this was the last series in Emily Rodda's books! So much for wantin ...more
Keiagane Mork
This book has a lot of everything. it has a lot of action mystery and mystical creatures. however in my opinion this book was very boring and was not very interesting, there was some action that caught my attention but definitely not my favorite books. I would not recommend this book to any one unless you like this genre. I however do not like this genre and it was boring to me because none of this is logical and probably could have never happened. If you like this genre I would recommend it but ...more
Okay, so I'm not sure why this series appeals to me so much (maybe it's partly the puzzles) but I am whipping through these like snack food. I started this one Sat. morning (first in third quest series, so technically #12) and as of this (Wed.)evening, I'm finishing up my 11th one. They're fun, light, fast fantasy. They've probably been around the house for five or more years, but I never tried them. I enjoyed the two Rowan of Rin books I read, but I like these books of hers better.
Yumeno Katrin
Draci Deltory jsou bezesporu nejlepší sérií. A Dračí hnízdo nejlépe začnutou sérií z Deltory.
I don't remember much about this, but, I DO remember that I loved o read these books :)
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Legends of Metru Nui (Bionicle Adventures, #4)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole (Guardians of Ga'hoole, #1-3)
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)
  • Valley Of Fear (Unicorns Of Balinor, #3)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Sepron The Sea Serpent (Beast Quest, #2)
  • Silver Thread (The Unicorn's Secret, #2)
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Clovermead: In the Shadow of the Bear
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...

Dragons of Deltora (4 books)
  • Shadowgate (Dragons of Deltora, #2)
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • The Sister of the South (Dragons of Deltora, #4)
The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1) City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3) The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2) The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4) The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)