Start by marking “The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate” as Want to Read:
The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate

The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  998 ratings  ·  116 reviews
In medieval Baghdad, a penniless man is brought before the most powerful man in the world, the caliph himself, to tell his story. It begins with a walk in the bazaar, but soon grows into a tale unlike any other told in the caliph's empire. It's a story that includes not just buried treasure and a band of thieves, but also men haunted by their past and others trapped by the ...more
Published July 23rd 2007 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, please sign up.

Aurelio Ippandoza I knew after reading the first few pages it was going to be a good read( you realize why he won all those awards).
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2007
87th out of 605 books — 670 voters
Dune by Frank HerbertThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinleyThrone of the Crescent Moon by Saladin AhmedThe Shadow Rising by Robert JordanCastle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones
Desert Fantasy
16th out of 79 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Joel
Let's try this again, Goodreads. Bad gateway. Hmmph.

Though I suppose a bad gateway is apropos for this book, as it is about a gateway through time, and depending on your actions in the past/future, the outcome might be bad. Oh server error, I see what you did there. Next time, though, try not to DELETE MY REVIEW to make a point*.

Anyway.

I wanted to read this very slim book for threefold reasons:

1) It's very short, but if I tag it with "2011," it gets added to my read total just like any other boo
Eh?Eh!
A very short book set in medieval Baghdad. A poor man is brought before the Caliph. It's revealed that his circumstances and journey are extraordinary. The format is probably inspired by Scheherazade, but Chiang cuts to the heart with 3 or 4 tales. Again, amazing, how thoughts of life and living are spread before the reader in such a feast of words.
Daniel
I have finally read Ted Chiang, whose name kept popping up next to those of other writers that I respect. This story is proof positive that Chiang's reputation is well-deserved. I was impressed by how much emotional resonance he achieves in a short span of pages; since finishing the story, it has stuck with me, and I feel like I can visit the feelings that it inspired by returning to any remembered detail from the story. I also liked Chiang's writing, and the voice that he gives the narrator. Bu ...more
Lightreads
A novelette set in ancient Baghdad and Cairo, as a merchant tells us – and the Caliph – nested tales of time travel.

Okay, the reason I love Ted Chiang is that he consistently has gotten me simultaneously in the geeky intellectual sweet spot of shinykeen science, and the unreasoned emotional response. And here he did neither, particularly.

It's a pretty story, with a perfect tempo and all the charm and style you'd expect from framing time travel in a 1001 Nights homage, with extra ancient Islam fo
rivka
Excellent! I liked this best (so far; I haven't read everything else of his) of what I've read of his work. And not just because Kip Thorne's wormhole work is some of my favorite theoretical physics.

Unlike some of Chiang's other stories, the science here is handled with a very light touch; it is peripheral to the story, not central. (And putting modern theoretical physics in the language of the medieval was very well done.) The characters, especially the two main characters, are better realized
Louise
Another wonderful short story from Ted Chiang. I was hesitant to read it because it involves time travel and I hate reading things about time travel because there's usually so many bad plot holes but I needn't have worried! Ted Chiang does it again -- a mind-bending short story about history, the future, the present, and life, all without being too preachy. Like his other short stories, this is life-changing.

What I really love about Ted Chiang's writing is that it's simple, yet effective. He's l
Scribble Orca
Tatiana recommended this and I'm grateful she did.

Succinct and easy writing style with a couple of intertwined ideas that cement the central theme of linear time, chance and fate.

Sci-fi lite but fun nevertheless.
Edward Rathke
Another brilliant story by Ted Chiang. It's interesting to read science fiction set in the past, and this is a topic oddly close to my heart.

I don't know if there's a short story writer out there better than Ted Chiang.
Shaun
Though sold as a book, this is really a long short-story of about 60 plus pages. A medieval tale about a man who travels back in time and ultimately learns that neither the past nor the future can be changed but only more fully understood, The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate offers some interesting ideas about fate/destiny.

Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this as much as his collection of short stories, Stories of Your Life and Others, so if you've heard about Chiang and are interested in readin
Diane
I kept noticing this book in my recommendations, and I finally decided to read it. Turns out that I really loved this story.

This book is a science-fiction novella of around 60 pages. The setting is Baghdad, the protagonist is a merchant, and the time is the Middle Ages. The book deals in an original way with a familiar theme: the puzzle of time travel, and the circular cause-and-effect paradox.

But the real story is about regret, the unchangeable past, and our incomplete knowledge of our own li
Althea Ann
Another excellent story by Ted Chiang... actually, it's three stories, set in a framing device.
In the medieval Middle East, an alchemist has developed a kind of time machine. When a potential customer walks in, the inventor offers him the chance to go through his gateway and through time - but first he tells the stories of three other people who took such a journey, and what befell them.
Like a tale of the Arabian Nights, the story has a fairy-tale feel to it, told simply and briefly, but with
Shana
This is a very short, very lovely book. The story is told by a merchant in the audience of a sultan, and the language used is just exquisite. Several short-short stories are included as examples of the power of the alchemist's gate and an explanation as to why the merchant wanted to use it. That explanatioin and the reason he is before the sultan in the first place are delightfully unexpected and sweetly sad. The whole book was like a really delicious, expensive chocolate--not nearly so large as ...more
Sowmya's book world

A short book consisting very generous and meaningful thought.I enjooyed the way all short stories were interlinked.

past or future cannot change either, but we can know both more fully
Simeon
Absolutely amazing. Enough said.

A wonderful audio edition can be heard here.
Elizabeth S. Q. Goodman
This was read out loud to me at Milk&Cookies. It's an Arabian Night and it's by Ted Chiang. What more could you want?
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A time travel story in an unusual setting-- ancient Cairo and Baghdad. Very interesting!
Andy Gavin
This 60 page short story is so up my alley. A story of time travel, set in medievalBaghdad, what could be better? If it were written in a lyrical stylereminiscentof the Arabian nights! This is a gold and gem encrusted little dagger of a story.Mimickingprose style AND story telling conventions of its chosen era. It manages to demonstrate its time travel device and constraints in a manner so clear even an Abbasid merchant could understand.

It won both the Hugo and Nebula Novellette awards. Good sho
Julie Davis
This is actually a short novella from Ted Chiang and the first of his work I ever experienced when JJ Campanella read it (brilliantly) for StarShipSofa podcast.

I recently received a signed (!) copy from a friend who was clearing out his bookshelves and took the chance this weekend to reread it.

It is told in what I'd call Scheherazade-style, of a story within a story within a story. This story folds in and around an alchemist who has opened a shop in medieval Baghdad. He has the secret of gates w
uroš
Review originally available at Realms of Speculative Fiction

I’ve never been much of a fan of short literary forms -- I’ve always favored big sprawling epics -- but this changed in the last couple of months. As the latest trend, novels tend to be overblown, lacking in focus and good editing; but the lesser the page count (novellas, novelettes and especially short stories) the greater the focus, the more profound the idea and the more well-versed the writing has to be to make an impact on the read
Brian Yahn
In this story, Ted Chiang creates a type of time travel that's both believable and enjoyable. The rules the under which time travel is possible, he takes full advantage of to tell a story that touches subjects of free will to happiness and everything in between. And he does so in a voice that transports you back in time, how perfectly, and makes you feel as if you're a king listening to a jester's best tale. And you better believe it, The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate is one of the best!
Eduardo
This short story is a crossover of time travel and arabian nights. On the time travel side of things, I thought it did come up with some good ideas. Questions like "can the past and the future be changed?" or "What if they can't?". It's my least favorite work of the author, even though I could see how well crafted the story was, I didn't the thrill that accompanied his other books. I'd still recommend it though.
TalonWyrm
I'm not usually much for small books.

I will make an exception for this one. I read it in an hour, waiting for a doctor's appointment. And what an exciting hour it turned out to be.

This is structured in a "tale within a tale" style, the main character spinning stories to the Sultan. But there's no fluff, no wasted word. Deep, while still maintaining the entertainment. I don't want to spoil it at all, just say that I loved it, and I highly recommend it.
Jason
Short story/Novella.
Wonderful, and if I were a better writer, this is what I would want to write. Simple but effective storytelling. Just amazing and something that can stay with you.
You will never find a physical copy it seems, but you can read it online here.
Hannah Cobb
If your future self could travel back in time, would your present be reshaped--or is fate immutable, even time travel unable to affect the will of heaven? In this richly woven novella, a merchant in medieval Baghdad brings a tale of magic and paradox to the caliph, describing the impact a magical gate had on several people's lives--including his own.
Ann
Simple yet beautiful and elegant langauge is a highlight of this Hugo and Nebula award winning novellete, which mixes a science fictional concept (time travel) with the nuances of the fairy tale (Arabian Nights).

The story is told in the form of a series of short tales told by a man to a caliph of medieval Baghdad, all of which center around a fantastic device invented by a merchant that allows the user to go forward or backwards 20 years in time. Each short tale centers on a different time trav
Eric
A very good short. A clever reframing of a very traditional sci-fi meditation on the nature of fate. Worth a read, and even though I felt like it was a little "overpriced" ($3 on Amazon at the time I got it) I was happy to give Ted Chiang some more money.
Michael Sy A Foek
A very interesting tale that takes place in the Middle-East which combines alchemy with time travelling. Very well written and the story itself was captivating.
Don
In the lyrical style of Arabian Nights, this moralistic time-travel tale set in medieval Baghdad raises questions about fate and leaves much for the reader to interpret. The merchant Fuwaad ibn Abbas addresses the Caliphate in Baghdad, telling his story, in the process relating three other stories told to him. Fuwaad comes upon the shop of an alchemist, Bashaarat, who claims to have a magic door which would permit Fuwaad to visit Baghdad twenty years in the future. Bashaarat first shares his cau ...more
Victor Tatarskii
A very small novelette, 60 pages only. Very nice. If you like Arabic fairytales with a bit of SF this is a one for you.
Clifdisc
Too short to be a novela but this is a fantastic short story. I'll definitely be checking out more by Ted Chiang.
  • Press Enter
  • Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories
  • Six Months, Three Days
  • By His Bootstraps
  • The Traveler
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Unveiling
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
Ted Chiang (born 1967) is an American speculative fiction writer. His Chinese name is Chiang Feng-nan. He was born in Port Jefferson, New York and graduated from Brown University with a Computer Science degree. He currently works as a technical writer in the software industry and resides in Bellevue, near Seattle, Washington. He is a graduate of the noted Clarion Writers Workshop (1989).

Although n
More about Ted Chiang...
Stories of Your Life and Others The Lifecycle of Software Objects Exhalation Hell is the Absence of God The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling

“Nothing erases the past. There is repentance, there is atonement, and there is forgiveness. That is all, but that is enough.” 38 likes
“Four things do not come back: the spoken word, the sped arrow, the past life, and the neglected opportunity.” 11 likes