Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “A Choice of Catastrophes” as Want to Read:
A Choice of Catastrophes
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

A Choice of Catastrophes

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Scientist, author, and Earth-dweller, explores the many potential natural and man-made catastrophes that could change life as we know it, or erase us from the face of the Earth. Natural properties and laws might change at any time, rendering life on this planet--or anywhere in the universe--impossible. But the disasters that are most imminent are in our power to control--t ...more
Hardcover, 377 pages
Published November 17th 1979 by Simon & Schuster (Riverside, NJ) (first published November 1979)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about A Choice of Catastrophes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Choice of Catastrophes

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 498)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Andrew
Apr 13, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book if a little dry. The premise is that the catastrophe is one of series ranking from first class to fifth - where the first is something that wipes out all of the universe to the fifth which only destroys civilisation but not the human race. Each class then is broken down in to various scenarios which are then discussed and explored. Some are only briefly looked at while others are discussed at great length. It is a mixture of personal opinion (and never let it be said ...more
Jim Grammond
Apr 05, 2008 Jim Grammond rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time at age 10 (or so). Scared the hell out of me. Re-read it at a later age when I was past my fears of an imminent apocalypse (thank you, Catholic school) and I enjoyed it a great deal.
Ilya Cherkasov
Mar 19, 2014 Ilya Cherkasov rated it it was amazing
Прекрасная книга!

Азимов, как ни крути, очень крутой популист. В книге разбираются события, последствием которых является гибель человечества.

Автор делит их на пять категорий (от гибели вселенной до эволюции роботов) и каждую друг за дружкой рассматривает с точки зрения предпосылок, вероятности, последствий и причин.

При этом каждой катастрофе даётся научно-популярное объяснение - то есть, если речь идёт о ледниковом периоде, то автор подробно рассматривает явление с исторической точки зрения и н
...more
Christa Maurice
Mar 23, 2013 Christa Maurice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few clunkers, but mostly excellent tales. I first read it in about 1987 and one of the plague stories has stuck with me since then as one of the most interesting and creative stories I have ever read.
Curt
Sep 22, 2008 Curt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, fuck mini-black holes.
Bebabi34

Isaac Asimov
l'ultima tromba
edward wellen
nessun altro dio
harlan ellison
la botte è rimasta aperta troppo a lungo e la memoria è evaporata
ben bova
stelle, volete nascondermi
Lloyd Biggler jr.
il giorno del giudizio
William Tenn
il custode
clark ashton smith
fenice
harry harrison
via dal fuoco
edmond hamilton
requiem
Larry Niven
nel centro
Fritz Leiber
Un secchio d'aria
chad oliver
il re del formicaio
Ursula Kroeber Le Guin
la nuova atlantide
Arthur Charles Clarke
lezione di storia
raymond zi
...more
Jules Jones
An entertaining themed anthology, published in 1981 but containing stories dating back as far as 1938. Some stories have dated, many are still great reads, all clearly justified their selection at the time. I've been reading this on and off for several months, but got through about half of it last month, so my review of the individual stories is going to be a bit patchy.[return][return]The anthology is set out in sections covering different degrees of catastrophe, from the end of the universe do ...more
Biblioworm
Nov 28, 2015 Biblioworm rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, english
Подборка буквально худших образчиков SciFi, на мой взгляд.
Поверив другим отзывам, что в конце поинтереснее, домучил до конца. Но даже последний рассказ, действительно довольно занятный, изложен в общем напыщенном и скучном стиле, как и прочие рассказы.
Основная моя претензия к этим рассказам - тяжеловесный стиль изложения. Идеи, положенные в рассказы, довольно любопытны, но не в таком исполнении.
Lee Belbin
Short stories about catastrophes from various authors, all pretty good as edited by Asimov.
Frankie Mahrle
A Pail of Air by Fritz Leiber is worth the price.
Janet Jay
Apr 12, 2014 Janet Jay rated it liked it
An interesting premise/whatever, but the best stories i've already read & otherwise ,not remarkable
Brielle
Apr 05, 2008 Brielle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 16+ years
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book. Asimov explains complicated scientific theory clearly and without resorting to using complicated lingo that only a fellow scientist can understand. This book covers all of the horrible things that could happen to the human race, and how likely they are to happen (and in what time frame). Really puts things into perspective.
Tihomir Grebenar
Aug 18, 2012 Tihomir Grebenar rated it it was ok
Only the final chapter was really interesting to me, where the author plays with various ideas concerning the future of humanity.
The rest of the book is by now pretty much recycled information (the book was written cca. 1980.).

I would have given it three stars but the authors could not withhold from openly berating certain other authors *and* ideas.
Emily
Jun 24, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
alot of remakes of this coming out now that the issues asimov approaced in the late 70s are coming to a head. cynics love reading about the end of civilization and optimists love reading about the chance of curbing it.
Brian Schwartz
Oct 27, 2013 Brian Schwartz rated it liked it

This book was a well edited mix of hard, speculative, and post apocalyptic science fiction. It also had a nice mix of Golden Age pulp writers and modern writers of science fiction.
Curtiss
How will the world end; the Good Doctor speculates about various environmental and cosmic catastrophes facing humanity, the environment, and the Earth.
Mars
May 22, 2014 Mars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few extremely good stories, a few atrociously bad ones, and a bunch of moderately good ones, but overall the impression was positive.
Alejandra
Sep 10, 2011 Alejandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Two or three interesting stories, a lot of Skip to the end! stories.
bluetyson
Catastrophes by Various (1981)
Frank Taranto
SF shorts about the title.
Adriana Cabanelas
Adriana Cabanelas marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Dante
Dante marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Stephen Frantz
Stephen Frantz rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
David Mayans
David Mayans rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Bear
Bear rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Adam Inglis
Adam Inglis marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Vitória Brandt
Vitória Brandt rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
James Tallett
James Tallett marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • Alistair Cooke's America
  • Alien Plot
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Science Fiction
  • Not Quite Shakespeare
  • Hour of Judgment (Under Jurisdiction, #3)
  • Day by Night
  • Toast, and Other Stories
  • Heroes and Fools (Dragonlance Tales of the Fifth Age, #2)
  • Crime Spells
  • Tomorrow Happens
  • Year Million: Science at the Far Edge of Knowledge
  • How Does Your Garden Grow? and Other Stories
  • The Silicon Boys: And Their Valley of Dreams
  • Crisis Point: Why We Must - and How We Can - Overcome Our Broken Politics in Washington and Across America
  • The Warmasters
  • Extinction: How Life on Earth Nearly Ended 250 Million Years Ago
16667
Isaac Asimov was a Russian-born, American author, a professor of biochemistry, and a highly successful writer, best known for his works of science fiction and for his popular science books.

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
...more
More about Isaac Asimov...

Share This Book