A Choice of Catastrophes

A Choice of Catastrophes

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Scientist, author, and Earth-dweller, explores the many potential natural and man-made catastrophes that could change life as we know it, or erase us from the face of the Earth. Natural properties and laws might change at any time, rendering life on this planet--or anywhere in the universe--impossible. But the disasters that are most imminent are in our power to control--t...more
Published November 17th 1979 by Simon & Schuster (Riverside, NJ) (first published November 1979)

To ask other readers questions about A Choice of Catastrophes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Choice of Catastrophes

Andrew
This is an interesting book if a little dry. The premise is that the catastrophe is one of series ranking from first class to fifth - where the first is something that wipes out all of the universe to the fifth which only destroys civilisation but not the human race. Each class then is broken down in to various scenarios which are then discussed and explored. Some are only briefly looked at while others are discussed at great length. It is a mixture of personal opinion (and never let it be said...more
Ilya Cherkasov
Прекрасная книга!

Азимов, как ни крути, очень крутой популист. В книге разбираются события, последствием которых является гибель человечества.

Автор делит их на пять категорий (от гибели вселенной до эволюции роботов) и каждую друг за дружкой рассматривает с точки зрения предпосылок, вероятности, последствий и причин.

При этом каждой катастрофе даётся научно-популярное объяснение - то есть, если речь идёт о ледниковом периоде, то автор подробно рассматривает явление с исторической точки зрения и н...more
Jules Jones
An entertaining themed anthology, published in 1981 but containing stories dating back as far as 1938. Some stories have dated, many are still great reads, all clearly justified their selection at the time. I've been reading this on and off for several months, but got through about half of it last month, so my review of the individual stories is going to be a bit patchy.[return][return]The anthology is set out in sections covering different degrees of catastrophe, from the end of the universe do...more
Janet Jay
An interesting premise/whatever, but the best stories i've already read & otherwise ,not remarkable
Brielle
Apr 05, 2008 Brielle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 16+ years
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book. Asimov explains complicated scientific theory clearly and without resorting to using complicated lingo that only a fellow scientist can understand. This book covers all of the horrible things that could happen to the human race, and how likely they are to happen (and in what time frame). Really puts things into perspective.
Tihomirg
Only the final chapter was really interesting to me, where the author plays with various ideas concerning the future of humanity.
The rest of the book is by now pretty much recycled information (the book was written cca. 1980.).

I would have given it three stars but the authors could not withhold from openly berating certain other authors *and* ideas.
Jim Grammond
I read this book for the first time at age 10 (or so). Scared the hell out of me. Re-read it at a later age when I was past my fears of an imminent apocalypse (thank you, Catholic school) and I enjoyed it a great deal.
Emily
alot of remakes of this coming out now that the issues asimov approaced in the late 70s are coming to a head. cynics love reading about the end of civilization and optimists love reading about the chance of curbing it.
Christa Maurice
A few clunkers, but mostly excellent tales. I first read it in about 1987 and one of the plague stories has stuck with me since then as one of the most interesting and creative stories I have ever read.
Brian Schwartz

This book was a well edited mix of hard, speculative, and post apocalyptic science fiction. It also had a nice mix of Golden Age pulp writers and modern writers of science fiction.
Curtiss
How will the world end; the Good Doctor speculates about various environmental and cosmic catastrophes facing humanity, the environment, and the Earth.
Mars
A few extremely good stories, a few atrociously bad ones, and a bunch of moderately good ones, but overall the impression was positive.
Alejandra
Two or three interesting stories, a lot of Skip to the end! stories.
Curt
Seriously, fuck mini-black holes.
bluetyson
Catastrophes by Various (1981)
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Gl
Gl added it
Aug 24, 2014
Marin Gregurinčić
Marin Gregurinčić marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Marc Carstensen
Marc Carstensen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thousandstar (Cluster, #4)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • Marie Curie: A Life
  • Alistair Cooke's America
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • Heroes and Fools (Dragonlance Tales of the Fifth Age, #2)
  • Toast
  • Tales From The White Hart
  • Empire From the Ashes (Dahak, #1-3)
  • The Engineer Reconditioned
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • An Exchange of Hostages
  • Disease: The Story of Disease and Mankind's Continuing Struggle Against It
  • Orion Shall Rise
  • Earthman, Come Home (Cities in Flight, #3)
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • The Confederation Handbook

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)