Start by marking “The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)

The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,375 Ratings  ·  736 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of the Maze Runner series comes The Rule of Thoughts, the exciting sequel to The Eye of Minds. Fans of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games will love the new Mortality Doctrine series.

Michael completed the Path. What he found at the end turned everything he’d ever known about his life—and the world—completel
Published August 26th 2014 by Delacorte Press

Michelle
Apr 02, 2014 Michelle marked it as to-read
Give me this book RIGHT NOW. I NEED TO KNOW.

Besides the fact that i completely fangirl over the first book (i'm contemplating reading it again), you're not allowed to just end there.

Nope, sorry. Not going to happen.

Edit: The cover. *dies*
I picked the wrong book to fangirl over.
Meh. but still.
*dies again*
wow, I died a lot.
Jacob
Jan 05, 2016 Jacob rated it it was ok
Honestly, I don't know why I read this. And I know I'm going to read the next one, although I can't figure out why I'm going to do that either. Maybe I'm just checking to see whether Dashner's writing got any better; (spoiler) it didn't. Again, the core idea is interesting (and has been done before), but the execution is terrible. On a positive note, there isn't anything more wrong with this than the first one, The Eye of Minds, so if you loved that you'll probably love this.

So, to review: the w
Lauren
Feb 02, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I NEED THIS BOOK NOW.

EDIT: HOLY MOTHER OF FRENCH FRIES THE COVER!!!!!! *dies*
Anna Steele
Sep 28, 2014 Anna Steele rated it really liked it
The Rule of Thoughts by James Dashner is the thrilling sequel to his first book in this series, The Eye of Minds. Having read the first book in September 2013, I was absolutely delighted when I spotted this book on my library's "New Arrivals" shelf. James Dashner's books have never disappointed me so far, so I immediately jumped in and began to read!
The first thing I noticed was how poorly he introduced the book. He seemed to jump right in, which wouldn't be a problem if you had recently read T
Pepsi_Cola
May 03, 2014 Pepsi_Cola rated it it was amazing
I NEED THIS BOOK *Looks at release date* *Sobbs* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Elise
Jan 08, 2015 Elise rated it it was ok
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

Oh, James Dashner, what have you gone and done here? Actually, I know exactly what you did. You sat at your desk and thought, 'Hey, what if I take The Eye of Minds and just reverse the plot? Now that Michael is known to be AI, we'll make him human instead of in the first book where he was known to be human and we made him AI. And then, since he thought he lived in the Wake when really he was in the Sleep in the Eye of Minds, n
Lindsey Turnbow
Sep 24, 2014 Lindsey Turnbow rated it liked it
Rule of Thoughts was fast-paced and hard to put down. I read it in a day, which is pretty typical for me with Dashner's books.

We didn't learn much in this book. It spent more time on dealing with the final twist of the first book and setting up the next book than presenting many new discoveries. There ARE some though. Dashner knows how to give us just enough to keep us wanting more. (I want to know more! How long 'till the next book?)

My biggest problem with this book, was, ah, spoiler.
(view spo
Nana
May 24, 2015 Nana rated it really liked it
I don't even know what to say.
Patric Steiger
Sep 29, 2014 Patric Steiger rated it it was ok
I instantly started The Rule of Thoughts after finishing The Eye of Minds. The revelations at the end of The Eye of Minds drove me crazy, wanting to understand what it was all about.
I think the first 100 pages of The Rule of Thoughts are alright. It got only worst later on. I liked how Michael tried to figure the life of Jackson out. Tried to deal with his host's girlfriend and to get in touch with Sarah again.
Talking about Sarah .. What the hell Dashner really? How long are you gonna make us w
Paola
Jul 06, 2015 Paola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó esa mezcla entre el mundo real y el virtual. Kaine es cada vez más poderoso y escapar de él será un duro trabajo. Tiene mucha acción y perturba un poco el hecho de no saber quienes son los malos de la historia. El final es esperanzador y me recordó al de "correr o morir" así que no me haré ilusiones precipitadas.
Martha
May 15, 2016 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BLOG

Jestem chyba jedną z niewielu osób, które zapoznały się z Jamesem Dashnerem od innej strony (źle to zabrzmiało). Nie zaczęłam bowiem przygody z tym panem od Więźnia Labiryntu, ale od W Sieci Umysłów, czyli pierwszego tomu Doktryny Śmiertelności, która bardzo pozytywnie mnie zaskoczyła. Wreszcie przyszedł czas na jej kontynuację, czyli Regułę Myśli.

Jeżeli mieliście już do czynienia z tomem pierwszym tej serii, dobrze wiecie, jak bardzo zaskakująca się okazała i na czym stanęliśmy. Jeżeli jedn
jus
Feb 03, 2015 jus rated it really liked it
COME ON I NEED THIS BOOK LIKE RIGHT NOW. I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT ANYMORE [VIOLENTLY CRIES]

[REAL REVIEW]
THE PLOT TWIST AT THE END THE FREAKING PLOT TWIST, dude all i want now is the game of lives.
Chayse Sundt
Aug 26, 2015 Chayse Sundt rated it it was amazing
Many of you might know James Dashner by his series The Maze Runner and may not notice his other series which I started out, a little rocky, but thankfully he worked his magic and wrote a brilliant sequel in The Mortality Doctrine and it brought my interest back into the series.

We follow the main character Michael as he finds out that completing The Path was all part of Kaine’s plan. Now in a new body with a new life, Michael must find a way to defeat Kaine and decide on whether he wants to risk
Julianne
Aug 30, 2014 Julianne rated it liked it
Hmm. I'm not really sure I understand what happened at the end but then again maybe I'm not supposed to yet.
Espe
Apr 05, 2016 Espe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una continuación muy buena que tiene mucha más acción, no paramos de ver que los chicos corren continuos peligros, la adrenalina, la intriga y el misterio están a la vuelta de cada página y no puedes dejar de leer porque quieres ver a donde va a ir a para James Dashner, cuales son los planes que nos tiene preparados y como puede acabar todo, pues la humanidad está en peligro y el malo es realmente poderoso e inteligente, un hueso duro de roer. Así que es extremadamente trepidante, un no parar de ...more
Jemma (MyLittleBookishCorner)
I have often found that the second book within a trilogy is written purely as a filler between the first book and the last book. That was not the case with The Rule of Thoughts .

I devoured The Rule of Thoughts a lot quicker than I did with The Eye of Minds but, I think that it because I have now become invested in this trilogy and the characters that are a part of it.

Overall, I have come to the conclusion that, in my opinion, Dashner's cannot write a bad book. I cannot wait to finally get m
Virginia
Dec 11, 2014 Virginia rated it liked it
Welp, Dashner did it again. What is with authors who break trust with their readers over and over again nowadays? Why do we bother reading if in the pursuit of "the ultimate twist," nothing we read is real or makes sense?

It is beyond annoying. Why should I bother reading and investing time and energy in books that keep pulling the rug out from under me? Of course, I have to find out what happens, so I guess he wins again. But this is only because I am a Completist.
Francisco Henriquez
OMG OMG OMG. James Maldito Dashner lo haz vuelto a hacer. Este libro me dejo mal nuevamente. No puedo esperar para leer lo que sigue *-* !!!
Merodeador
Mar 18, 2016 Merodeador rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como amé este libro! Wow, estoy tratando de buscar las palabras correctas...
En este segundo libro de la saga La Doctrina de la Mortalidad, Michael, Bryson y Shara intentaran destruir al tangente Kaine a como de lugar, tarea nada sencilla, nunca se imaginarán los misterios que se ocultan a su alrededor, y cada vez es más complicado discernir entre la realidad y el mundo virtual.
Respecto a los personajes, siguen manteniendo su esencia, grandes jugadores en el "sueño", jovenes hackers unidos por u
Drew
SOMEONE HAND ME THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW *CRYINNNNNNNNNNNGGG*
Rose
Nov 17, 2015 Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was an average middle book in a trilogy. We had the big reveal about one of the characters at the end of book 1. Book 3 will be the very exciting conclusion. Book 2 is rarely as good as either and TROT lives up to the formula.

Michael, Sarah and Byron are on the hunt for Kaine again, although this time Michael is now living in the body of Jackson Porter (Pinnochio became a real boy). This portion of the story is based more in the real world than the virtual world so it was a little less fun
Michael Schmid
Jan 28, 2015 Michael Schmid rated it really liked it
Es war echt wieder richtig, richtig mega und cool und mindfuck und das Ende ey ... will sofort Band 3 q____q
Maud
Apr 01, 2016 Maud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed boek, ik ben benieuwd naar het laatste deel!
Jory C
Jan 22, 2016 Jory C rated it it was amazing
Have you ever thought of the internet being a physical world, that you can touch and interact with? The Rule of Thoughts is based in the Virtnet, the internet and virtual reality combined. The book was written by James Dashner, author of the Maze Runner trilogy. I read this book because I was interested in the topic of the first book, and had read and loved the first.
In The Rule of Thoughts, Michael has been transferred from his “tangent” artificial intelligence state to a human beings mind. He
Denise Peng
Nov 10, 2015 Denise Peng rated it it was amazing
Book Castles
Feb 08, 2016 Book Castles rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
"We are our thoughts and memories and personalities.”

I have to admit, I don't like the way this book is written. I feel like something's missing... I mean, I know it's the main character's POV but I want to know more about his friends, about the villain, about the woman -helping?- them, I just need to know more about them in order to even like them! I want to care about them!
The beginning is good. Michael is now in a human body, but he cares about the life he somehow took and this remains du
Gabby
May 20, 2015 Gabby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After 5 million years I've finally finished this!! I definitely liked the first book more than this one. This one felt really slow and I kinda feel like not much happened throughout the book. I think this series would have benefited more if it was just a duology maybe with this book and the last book combined together, maybe? The characters also just felt really boring in this book and I found myself hardly caring about them at all. There were also certain parts of the stories though that felt r ...more
Emanuel
Jan 31, 2016 Emanuel rated it it was amazing
So, to begin, I would like to say that I am a fan of the Mortality Doctrine series. So far, I read the first book, The Eye of Minds, over the past summer in 2015. I then read this book over the course of this January 2016. I am pretty impressed with the series so far and am now reading the third book, The Game of Lives.

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW...

Dashner starts the book with the main character Michael, who is just now a human for the first time, contemplating what his life really means as he was prev
D.S.
Aug 30, 2014 D.S. rated it really liked it
James Dashner is all about one thing - outlandishly propulsive YA stories focused on boys in danger. He's not interested in realism, emotional resonance, clever characterizations...he wants you to read his books like a runaway train. And he's damn good at it, too - he's like Robert Ludlum writing for the Disney Channel. His newest series, The Mortality Doctrine (Rule of Thoughts is the second book in what looks to be a trilogy) is not as intense as his best book, The Maze Runner (and, to be fair ...more
Bookreads :): Rule of Thoughts 1 1 Jan 09, 2016 08:46AM
Characters types 1 3 Nov 04, 2015 09:52AM
Personal Review 2 5 Jan 11, 2015 06:14PM
Rock Valley YA Group: New Books! 1 6 Dec 06, 2014 08:38AM
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • The Hangman's Revolution (W.A.R.P., #2)
  • Strike (The SYLO Chronicles, #3)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • Hunt for Jade Dragon (Michael Vey, #4)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • Don't Let Go (PERSEFoNE #3)
  • Idols (Icons, #2)
  • London Eye (Toxic City, #1)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • Earth Flight (Earth Girl, #3)
  • False Future (False Memory, #3)
  • The Isle (The Ward, #2)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
  • No Life But This (UniCorp, #2)
  • The Loop
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • Secret Histories (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #4-6)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...

The Mortality Doctrine (3 books)
  • The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1)
  • The Game of Lives (The Mortality Doctrine, #3)

“I've met some brave people in my life. And I've met some awfully stupid people. You're one of the rare ones that are both.” 9 likes
“I don't give a crap if you're a Tangent or a really smart llama. You're my friend and that's all that matters” 7 likes