Start by marking “Words of Stone” as Want to Read:

Words of Stone

Blaze Werla is having a typical summer. He lives in the country with his father and grandmother. He spends his days alone, wandering around the hill beside his home.

Then the message appears on the side of the hill. And Blaze's summer suddenly takes a turn toward the mysterious. By the time Blaze meets Joselle Stark, the unexpected seems almost normal.
Hardcover
Published September 16th 1992 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Words of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words of Stone

Linda Lipko
Ten year old shy, red-haired Blaze Werla is hurting. Losing his mother to cancer has a profound impact on him. Added to the trama is the fact that he was badly burned and scared from a freak carnival accident.

Each year he returns to the ferris wheel hoping he can have the courage to overcome his fears, and each year he fails.

He has a strong support base of a loving father and grandmother, but still his imaginary friends are the ones to whom he turns.

When Joselle Stark arrives in the neighborhood
Bernadette
Sep 04, 2009 Bernadette rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Although this book did not grab me from the beginning, it definitely had some quirky and unforgettable characters! Henkes does use unusual names that represent his characters. His main character, Blaze, reminds me of Wemberly in his picture books – characters who worry or are scared about things. I quite liked how the story turned out and was very touched that two seemingly different characters could become such great friends. For use in the classroom, I can imagine discussions about family rela ...more
Rosario Villamor
Jul 27, 2012 Rosario Villamor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Words of Stone by Kevin Henkes is one of those "feel-good" books, those that you can read without feeling depressed or anything. Blaze Werla is quite an amusing kid what with his Noah's ark collection with only one of each animal where there should be two, his lost key collection. His lost key collection. I found it pretty adventurous when he said the reason for his lost key collection was so someday, he'd be able to find those doors or boxes which open to those keys. I guess, in essence, we all ...more
Carina
Feb 01, 2011 Carina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Houseofshoes
Jul 09, 2008 Houseofshoes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is hard to review because it is hard to condense into a sound bite but this is where its strength lies. It has a subtlety and sincerity that sets it apart from many books (and particularly from many kids' books that always have to be ABOUT SOMETHING and the author needs to hit you over the head with the MESSAGE!!!) Know what I mean?
Aug 21, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I thought this book was interesting. I am starting to dislike that most of Kevin Henkes characters have strong male figures and females that are less than desirable in this and Margaret and Taylor that was the case. i enjoyed it but it was not my favorite Henkes book by far.
Ruth
Nov 30, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute sweet kids book about friendship and loss. It reminded me of the summers of childhood when all there is is time and friendships are quick-forming and volatile.
Amhveggie
Not as good as some of Henkes' others (i.e Olive's Ocean, Protecting Marie, Bird Lake Moon. . . )
Josiah
Apr 24, 2012 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin Henkes is a remarkable novelist. His descriptions of everyday life and the ostensibly mundane events that go on around us all the time elevate those little moments to become miniaturized works of art in the eye of the thoughtful reader. His feel for the nuances of the English language is extraordinary, but I think that what is even more key to his captivating descriptive prose than that is his unfailing attention to detail. He doesn't miss the importance of the little things about life th ...more
Scooping it Up
Disturbing, sad, but endearing. I think many young readers may find both main characters "too weird;" the kind of children they would tease or ostracize at school, and being exposed to their awkwardness in such an intimate way is both uncomfortable and important. Everyone has junk and a story, especially when it involves kids who act differently. Reminding children that they are all fighting battles at home, and that some of those battles are painful and huge and terrible gives great perspective ...more
Melissa
Apr 28, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bednight-reads
Borderline disturbing, like most of Henkes' middle-grade books we've read so far. We can't read this book and then say "goodnight!" - a lot of discussion has to happen first, which is a good thing, I think. Many of Henkes' characters have dead or neglectful mothers, which is a little horrifying for Marie. She begged for more chapters, but was upset with the ending, which trailed off with a promise rather than ending in a concrete fashion.
Christy
Tiana
I'd only ever known Kevin Henkes for his picture books (which I love), so I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I enjoyed the writing, though I didn't really care for the ending. While reading it to Lily I thought that the writing and themes might be too adult for her, but she quite liked it.
Hopepresley
Jul 06, 2014 Hopepresley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good middle grade fiction- bullies, tough family relationships, and characters who compelled me to try to understand them make this a good stretch read. Not many students select this title on their own. Possible matchings with Liar &Spy, The Bystander, The Schwa Was Here, and Because of Mr. Terupt.
joriz
May 08, 2016 joriz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The outstanding teen novel shows the bond of Blaze and Joselle, two young kids within a summer period. The book showed the progress of their friendship and how the trust from each other was tested. The book is great for any age.
Becky
Mar 01, 2014 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sometimes decide a book rating more because of the writing that the actual story. Such is the case here--'Words of Stone' is well written but I just didn't connect with the characters or care about the plot.
Theresa
Feb 05, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henkes, Kevin

His mother had died, he was burned when he tried to relive his last memory with her, and now he has secret messages written to him on the hill. He had tried to adapt, he made a new imaginary friend each year, and each year when he was unable to accomplish his goal he lost his friend. This year was not any different until the stones on the hill spelled his mother’s name. She was alone and lonely. She has always felt unloved by her mother, and a little bit of a trouble m
Reader Girl
It's rather slow because there isn't much action. Blaze and Joselle have some interesting character traits, but I think there's too much telling and not enough showing.
Carterkempgmail.Com
I didn't like this as much as 'Olive's Ocean', but it's a fine story of an unusual friendship between two unique kids, both with troubles.
Kevin Henkes' books for younger readers (like Chrysanthemum, Lily and the Purple Plastic Purse) are favorites of ours, so I thought we'd try this novel. I have very mixed feelings about it. It has memorable, poetic imagery and strongly drawn characters. Joselle is so unlikable though that it is hard to empathize with her. I found the writing itself uneven, the vocabulary (and sometimes ideas) too sophisticated for the middle-school audience it's aimed at. And yet the ending was lovely. Maybe Hen ...more
Feb 28, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
Rich with symbolism and deeply felt, this would make a great book for use in the classroom.
Zoë
Jun 26, 2016 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Teaches us the importance of honesty.
Peytyn
Feb 15, 2014 Peytyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Book!
Story Revolution

Blaze Werla is having a routine summer. He spends his days alone, wandering around the hill next door, and his nights awake, avoiding the dreams that haunt him. Then a message appears on the side of the hill and Blaze's predictable summer suddenly takes a turn toward the mysterious. By the time he meets outgoing Joselle Stark, Blaze finds himself in entirely new territory, where the unexpected seems almost normal.

Gretchen
Apr 15, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Working in an elementary school library has its perks--reading this was one of them--I was familiar with Henkes picture books but had no idea that he wrote novels--the character development and plot line are wonderful--no let's just end the story here.
Rhiannon20
This is sort of a weird book - but an ok one. All about a young boy whose moter is dead, and a young girl whose mother is ignoring her and lives with her grandmother, it's a fine book, but I really don't like the way the plot evolves and finishes.
James
May 20, 2008 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as well developed as Olive's Ocean, but a nice read, nonetheless. Henkes is such a talented writer, I should offer him four stars just because. "Words" comes close to being a great book, but not quite. A quick read though, so don't miss it.
Relyn
Nov 14, 2008 Relyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens and Henkes fans
Recommended to Relyn by: I'm reading all of Henkes' books
10/24/08
If you couldn't tell, I'm on a Kevin Henkes kick. I'm reading all of his books. This one did not disappoint. It was lovely, in fact. I love the way he portrays real friendships. His characters are just alive. Henkes is a wonder.
Alenette
Apr 04, 2013 Alenette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it's for ages 8-12, it went beyond my expectations. I thought it was going to be boring but it was actually intriguing! I understand a bit of it's deeper meaning and I'm hoping that I would understand the full meaning soon.
Adaire
Jul 29, 2008 Adaire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is billed for children 8-12 years old, but I couldn't see my 8 year old reading it. There are rave reviews all over the book, but maybe I missed something because it didn't do anything for me.
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • The Canada Geese Quilt
  • Journey
  • The Night Journey
  • A Taste of Blackberries
  • Welcome to the Ark (Ark, #1)
  • Come On, Rain!
  • Sukey and the Mermaid
  • The Goats
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • Lovable Lyle
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...