Start by marking “The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles, #1)

The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Not many people can say their entire existence has been one big lab experiment: poked and prodded by scientists, genetically modified to be the best and endure the worst, subjected to daily tests and trials that would kill a normal human. All Michaela wants is her own life, to be able to go to school, flirt with boys, maybe eat ice cream now and then. So when the chance to ...more
Published February 28th 2012 (first published February 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Sphinx Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sphinx Project

Mitch
Nicola
Jul 24, 2012 Nicola rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Maximum Ride fans
This was pretty good! I'm surprised more people haven't read it. It wasn't perfect but the potential was definitely there. I loved the characters and plot- but there wasn't enough dialogue for my liking which made it drag at parts. The ending was crazy though and I'm REALLY looking forward to the sequel!
Maria
I like The Sphinx Project.

*****

The Sphinx Project has potential. The sci-fi element is not new but the action-packed scenes brought new flavor to it. I liked the execution but i had problems with the ebook copy. There are several wrong spellings and grammatical errors that affected the meaning of sentences and paragraphs. Could this be a result of lack in editing and proofreading? i don’t know. Also, i found most of the action scenes too descriptive. It was technically right but i lost the emoti
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2012 Cheryl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
When I read the synopsis, I immediately thought of Maximum Ride.
If it's anything like that series, I'm going to love this one.
Let's gooo.
Katie
Please note minor spoilers
I think before we delve into this review, it is very important that I put a disclaimer here. I read this the day after I got all four of my wisdom teeth taken out, plus had a procedure performed on my jaw joint at the same. I was on all kinds of crazy pain killers and my face was still numb. What I remember reading and what I actually read may not be the same things. I was in my own little world completely.

Okay, let’s get started.

First of all: The Prologue. It’s interes
June Luu
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING....I loved from the first word to the last.
The characters are so brave and not selfish that you just love all of them. There were twist and turns in the story, the way (spoiler) a character change from good to bad in seconds and the way you never expect anything that happened in the book...Sometimes, you can guess what happens in a story but this one, you can never expect anything...
Even though I'm a big romance reader, this story doesn't have much romance in it but it makes
Raihana
CAPTIVATING AT FIRST SIGHT.

Has a book ever left you speechless when you have just finish read the last few sentences? The Chimaera Chronicles will do just that!
From the moment you begin reading to the very ending of the book, you find yourself glued to wherever you are, unable to withdraw you eyes from the book.

The Sphinx Project is a fast moving plot with plenty of action packed scenes and nail-biting moments which will literally leave you on the edge of your seat. Kate Hawkings has created a m
Charlotte
If you're looking for a book that will have you gripped from the very beginning, then this it it. Beautifully written, action packed, and full of loveable characters. I love Kayla's obsession with ice cream, and the relationships between the girls. You really feel for them as they're on the run, having no idea what to expect next. I certainly had no idea what to expect next, which kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. Such a big cliffhanger at the end though! When I realised I had ...more
Brea Essex
The Sphinx Project is AMAZING! I had been looking forward to reading this book for months, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. It exceeded my expectations. I literally couldn't put it down from the moment I began reading. Ms. Hawkings' story hit the ground running and didn't stop until the end--and even at the end. The cliffhanger is going to drive me crazy until the release of the second book in the Chimaera Chronicles. I have two words for you, Ms. Hawkings: WRITE FASTER! I'm dying for this ...more
Kacey
I don't know what to think about this... by the description, I had Maximum Ride in my head. It's not. It was an interesting read, but it went off on a bit of a zombie/massive world chaos with earthquakes hitting everywhere at just the worst possible time type of story plot- which doesn't make sense why these scientists would be so hell bent on finding Kayla when the whole world seems to be going to shambles.

Though I liked the general idea of the story, it seemed to seriously miss something. I d
Day
3.5 stars overall.

Full Review on Paperback Dolls - http://paperbackdolls.com/?p=9848

THE SPHINX PROJECT is a good debut that is impressive when you consider that it is a self published work by a young author (I believe she is 21 or 22). If this is only a glimpse at the caliber of storytelling to come from this author, we should expect great things ahead. I look forward to future installments in the series, especially since Hawkings leaves fans with quite the cliffhanger.
Laura Gilfillan
Kayla is part of a bizarre experiment, the apparent intention of which is to create a sort of super human. She is trained and tested to her limits and not treated humanely. Nonetheless she somehow manages to retain a surprisingly humane spirit, and when she and her crew get a chance to escape, they grab it. But the country is experiencing an amazing number of disasters, plus is under the threat of a dangerous virus, unleashed by the mad scientists, that transforms people into flesh eating monste ...more
Julie Mcdonald
May 31, 2012 Julie Mcdonald rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a awesome book had me hooked from page one till the very last page and has left me wanting more! I recommend this book and this author to everyone! Can't wait to read the second book hope to see it out soon! :)
Nanda Zacharias
Good book but the way it ends and I'm broke and ugh.
Emily
Apr 07, 2012 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Maximum Ride, anyone?
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I received a copy for review.

All Michaela’s life, she has been training and been tested on to see how far her body can recover from viruses. She, along with her sister, Nicole, and friends Mouse and Briana, have been lab rats for too long. Her mother has been dead for 5 years, and they all decided that they need to break out.

When they do, there are creature-like humans that breakout as well. They head out to the West Coast and find themselves in several skirmishes and natural disasters.

I’ve nev
Soumi
Michaela, along with her twin sister and few friends has spent their whole life being an object of experiment in a hidden lab, like rats in a cage. Genetically modified and subjugate of tests that can kill a human being, Michaela suffered the worst. The night Michaela got sick and nearly dead after a horrible experiment on her, the group escaped the lab. But this was not their happy ending; it was just beginning of their worst nightmare. When they escaped, they accidently released some creature ...more
Emily Ward
Here is my slightly longer review. . .

Hawkings has a great way of building suspense. I was on the edge of my seat this whole book. These main characters are badass and they really know how to get stuff done! I really liked reading this story, it flew by so quickly! I wanted it to be longer. The action and all the developments and science fiction to me was really cool and intriguing.

I think it could have benefited from just a tad more character development. I knew the girls' names and their "tra
Natasha
The Sphinx Project is a thrilling, action packed beginning to an amazing new series by Kate Hawkings which will certainly captivates its readers. The story centers on Michaela or Kayla who is a product of a secret science experiment to create a hybrid super human from the genes of various animals and combining it with human genes. As expected Kayla is the perfect super soldier but she longs to escape from the malevolent and sinister scientists who keep her and her sisters imprisoned in their fac ...more
Elena Ransley
Simply amazing!

Believe me, it does not disappoint. Fast paced, action packed, compelling storyline..even the slightest hint of romance is included in this genreless book.(Maybe I have made that word up - lets run with it!) And it is genreless, its crossover is what holds its appeal, a bit of everything for everyone and it certainly seems effortless, and there is not one point that I scrunched my face feeling that it didn't work.

Sure, it may predominantly fit YA but i think to pigeon-hole it woul
Book Whales
Rhomy
I'm so happy I won this book! Yay! Can't wait to read it :D

5 super stars!!!
Review coming soon!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 2.9.13

This book was awesome. A great choice! I'm glad I won it!

The story is fast paced, got me hooked since page one and never had a dull moment. Action packed and even in the middle of all that, the author manage to blend little love scenes.

I am a fan of romance novels and I always want romance in every book, this one had such
Steve Searancke
Fan bloody tastic..... Read it before somewhere and read it again on my kindle. Couldn't put the damn thing down the first time and just as hard the second time. Having trouble finding out where I can purchase the next book but shall keep hunting around. Keep up the good work Kate
Brenda
This book was just ok for me. It had nonstop action from start to finish. It was like reading about a military mission. If you enjoy that kind of book then you'll like this one. The characters were under developed and lacked real emotion. As a result, I had trouble connecting with the characters. At times I had difficulty following the action and understanding who was doing what. It had an exciting ending and sets up an interesting story to continue. Not sure though if I'm up to reading it.
ReaderNation
Kindle freebie with a decent premise. Big Pharma/genetic splicing/new age warriors. The book provides a slew of plot lines and plenty of backstory to be filled in (assuming the series continues).
Aside from twice in the book referencing "pre-loaded magazines" (in both contexts, it is rather implied that one would load extra clips in advance) ha, the book flowed pretty well. I'm not hooked to wait for the next installment, but If I happen to stumble across it - will giver 'er a go.
Koalathebear
This novel took me a little while to get into, but once I had committed to it - it ended up being a pretty gripping and interesting read. Although there were certain elements in this novel which followed the standard formula and were easy to predict, there were also elements that were quite fresh and novel. At times it reminded me of the series "Dark Angel", in terms of the human bio-engineering etc. Will definitely be continuing with the series.
Jami Leigh
Plot: 3 1/2stars
Characters:3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 4 stars

Very fast paced, to a fault. There were points where I wanted things to slow down and get a better feel of what was going on, but it just kept moving. There were very few places to catch your breath.
Only a few typos (nose to tale instead of tail, things like that), but otherwise well edited. I'll probably read the sequel anyway, because it is a quick read.
Mindy
The writing of this book flows pretty well. The plot is a bit everywhere. My question is why were the earthquakes happening in the first place. There are lots of other holes as well, to numerous to spend my time listing. Despite all that I would have given this book three stars, until the ending. We were going, going, going, and abrupt halt. What? It was an epic fail of a cliffhanger. And any desire to continue the series died with it.
Hmr28
Mar 02, 2012 Hmr28 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to read this book, but it is not available for the Nook (barnes and noble). I am not going to buy another device and I don't like Amazon's practices any way. Too bad, this looks like a great book and it has good reviews.
  • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
  • Elemental (Auri, #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • Broken (Extrahumans, #1)
  • The Complex (Linx, # 1)
  • Vestige
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • The Killables (The Killables, #1)
  • Fractured Light (Fractured Light, #1)
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • The Broken Destiny (Broken, #1)
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • Angelina's Secret (Angelina's Secret, #1)
  • Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1)
  • What Came After
  • ExtraNormal (ExtraNormal, #1)
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • Shadows Cast By Stars
Fourteen Days (The Chimaera Chronicles, #2) On The Winds of Æther - Episode One On The Winds of Æther - Episode Two Fourteen Days: The Chimaera Chronicles, Book Two. On The Winds of Æther: Episode One