Start by marking “What I Didn't Say” as Want to Read:
What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,840 ratings  ·  859 reviews
Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be ...more
Published April 30th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about What I Didn't Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Didn't Say

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenEasy by Tammara WebberThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsMy Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
TO DIE FOR 2012 - 2013 STAND-ALONES
15th out of 495 books — 3,861 voters
What I Didn't Say by Keary TaylorSomething like Normal by Trish DollerWhat a Boy Wants by Nyrae DawnCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePoint of Retreat by Colleen Hoover
YA Male POV 2012
1st out of 91 books — 228 voters

More lists with this book...

Leslie
If you know me on GR, you know I usually don't read YA books. Not because they're necessarily unenjoyable or not well written, simply because I can't always relate to the high school drama and immaturity. That being said, this story received great reviews and ratings so I decided, (in my constant search for something "different"), to take the plunge. I am very grateful I did.

Jake Hayes and his large family live on a small island off the coast of Washington state. The community is tight-knit and
Anna

So when life seems impossible, when it seems so bad that you can't go on, just stop for a second to take a look at all of the things that you do have. I bet the list will grow pretty fast. And even if it doesn't, you have the power to decide if you're going to let the bad or the good take control of your life.

SOMETIMES WE NEED A LOUD WAKE UP CALL FOR US TO MAKE CHANGES FOR THE BETTER

I LOVED THIS BOOK !! 5 Stars!! What a great story. I went into this book expecting a total tear-fest. The blurb ca
♥Rachel♥

This was such a touching and heartwarming story. I loved it!

After getting drunk at a party one night, high-school student, Jake, gets in to a truck with his two friends. This is completely out of character for Jake, he's always listened to his parents when it came to drinking, but after the excitement of winning a game, he ignores their advice and has a few beers too many. Jake has had a long-time crush on Sam, the school braniac, and he's never told her. Being egged on by his buddies, Jake is c
Karla

4 Stars! Tragic, yet wonderful!

I read this last week, and can’t stop thinking about it. I needed a few days to get my thoughts together. Some of these YA books have such an emotional impact, and in this case it has to do with the fact that it’s told from Jake’s point-of-view. So, as he’s experiencing these life changing events, you feel them right along with him. You are not an outsider looking in, you become Jake! It was downright overwhelming, bowled me over.

Jake has liked Samantha since his
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**2.5 stars**

I think I'm in the minority here when I say I didn't love this book. I liked it, it was cute, but I had some issues with it that really got under my skin.

First of all, my main qualm is that people who lose their vocal cords do not only have the option of writing things down, sign language, or being mute. That is just silly and not well researched.

Now I'm going to get all dorky on you Goodreads. Fair warning... Citing Wikipedia, following a laryngectomy (when a person has their lar
Jasprit
What I didn’t Say is the heart felt story of Jake, who’s been in love with Sam since the first day of freshman year. For the last three years she’s always been on his mind, when he sits next to her in class he gets that warm zingy feeling and last summer he was sure she was flirting back, but then when school re-started again, Sam went back to how she was before; acting like a good friend. Jake has wanted to tell her how’s he felt, but never had the courage to do so. But out one night at a party ...more
Sheri
What I Didn't Say is a captivating, emotional story. We follow the story through Jake's point of view as he comes to term with the consequences of his actions. After getting drunk with some friends one night and getting into a car accident, Jake's life is changed forever. No longer able to speak, he must learn how to come to terms with his disability and communicate again, not only with his family but with the rest of the world as well.

Through the story we watch Jake grow, although he does have
rameau
Nikki
This book blew me away! I don't typically read YA since they're usually a little too tame for my tastes, but every now and then I stumble across one that is so worth it. What I Didn't Say most definitely falls in that category. This is a book I've had on my tbr for a long time and had gotten lost in the mix. I ran across it last night and something about it was calling me in a way I knew I needed to read it right now. So I did. I stayed up all night until I just couldn't hold my eyes open any mo ...more
Angelina
What I didn't say.... is a very inspiring and heartwarming story.

“I wanted to scream as I stood there, my toes hanging over the edge of the dock. I wanted to let a gut-wrenching howl rip from my disfigured throat toward those clouded skies. I wanted to say every swear word my mother had ever taught me not to say.
I would have settled for a cut-off whimper, just as long as some kind of sound came from my lips.”

One stupid mistakes changes everything.. when Jake got into accident and loose his v
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Here I'm again, with my all time I'll try not to give 5 stars to every book that make me cry "problem". At the end I always manage not to listen to myself. I know that a lot of you won't agree with me about this book and yes true, maybe it doesn't deserve 5 stars and maybe the writing could've been better and so on. But I enjoyed in this book and that's the only thing that matters.

It's hard to say anything about the story as too much is said in the summary. If you, like me, don't read blurbs th
Honour
What I expected on first picking up this book --

A boy losing his voice in an accident and a love story where he wins his girl despite new obstacles originating from his own insecurities and social scrutiny. Basically a story about a boy learning not only to accept his disability but to triumph inspite of it. Heart warming stuff. I want to read!

What I got halfway through the book --

Everything I expected above PLUS a parallel emerging storyline about Sam - this girl he's trying to win. He's won he
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Ms. Taylor is hands down, one of my favorite self-published authors. Her books are always written
with great depth. And it's no wonder why I instantly fell in love with this book.

There is so much in the story that I what to just gush about. For instance, the plot line. How can you express your emotions if you can no longer talk? Convey what you have felt for years and in a swift moment have it all taken away from you? The plot line alone intrigued me to read faster. The way Ms. Taylor leads the r
Eunice

After reading the blurb I thought it was a heavy read. Because, you see, it involves some devastating and depressing incidents. But surprisingly it was not, in fact it was actually a pretty light read but with great in depth lessons. I was touched and moved by this story and although I think I get a bit teary-eyed on some parts it wasn't really a depressing story.

Jake's story was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. And I couldn't help but be impressed by this boy and by th
Wanda Hartzenberg
What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Blurb

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll
Christine
Audio Review
Narrator: Matthew Dunehoo

I have had this book in my KINDLE forever, but Audibles had a sale on it and I decided to listen to it instead.
What a great book, great story, and a beautiful, sweet love story.
When my daughter is around 15-16 years old, I will want her to read it. I hope my daughter falls in love with a boy like Jake. Loved Jake and I loved Samantha too.

One thing I did not understand is why Carter was not punished at all!! I mean where I live drinking and driving means yo
Athena
3 Aweeee Stars

Puss and boots GIF photo: Puss In Boots tumblr_lveqn2eRMT1qjyirdo1_500.gif

After Jake Hayes loses his voice in a horrible car accident, he realizes one of his biggest regrets is that he never told Samantha Shay how he feels about her.

Samantha Shay is the smartest girl at Orcas High School who doesn't believe in love and her only goal right now is doing well in high school.

Jake has always loved Sam from afar, but during a class debate Jake discoveres that Sam doesn't believe in love and from that moment on he's too gun shy to tell Sam how he feels.

Let me
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I was sent a copy of this book from the author through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I requested it because I loved Keary Taylor's Eden.

This book is a departure from that one, which is nice, because I love authors with versatility. What I didn't Say, focuses on two people, Jake, an ordinary teenaged boy who gets into a horrible accident at the beginning of the book and loses his voice, and Samantha, the girl he loves. What happens next is gripping, and many times moving. I won't sa
Katy
What an amazing story about how making a wrong choice can end in truly devastating lifelong consequences, overcoming the tough challenges life throws at you and fully appreciating what you have because it can always be worse.

This book was sweet - both heartbreaking AND heartwarming.

I love the characters in this book. I like how Jake and Sam felt real. I admit, Taylor may have a gone a little overboard making the situation for both Jake and Sam just downright terrible - how can it get any worse?
Mery St. Clair
Antes que nada, muchas gracias a Keary Taylor, la autora, por este ARC.

Tenía muchas expectativas de este libro, es decir, ¡Que buena sinopsis! El libro no me defraudo, el tiempo leyendolo se paso volando, y sin darme cuenta llegué a la última hoja. Si te agradan los libros YA con una dosis justa de drama, y no el típico superficial chica-conoce-chico-nuevo, ¡What I did't say es tu elección!

No sé como yo pudiera arreglarmelas para vivir y comunicarme con los demás sin mi voz, sencillamente no pod
Sandra
Sep 12, 2012 Sandra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA Readers near and far
This review is also available at My Fiction Nook.

Imagine you're a teenage boy living on a small island in the PNW, population about 5,000. Everybody knows everybody else. You hang with your friends, you make eyes at pretty girls, you play football and you dream of getting out of Dodge as soon as you graduate. The Airforce has accepted you, and you love to fly, so you're really looking forward to your future, so much so that you're counting down the weeks and months.

You're invincible. You're alm
Becky
I usually don't read YA books, but this one sounded really good. The story and characters were really well thought out. I loved the story and everything Jake went through. I also loved that the female lead had problems of her own. This story was wonderful and had a HEA ending, I just wished it had an epilogue so we could see them in the future! Overall, a must read.
Lili
I love books that make you feel and Keary Taylor accomplished that with this wonderful book. I had seen this book on my suggestions and finally decided to read it. I'm so glad that I did. It really did make me think about things and it made me even more appreciative of my family. Sometimes we need a little reminder and this book certainly did that. I loved that Jake and Sam didn't allow their struggles to over take them and were able to rise above it all. 5+ stars!
Paula
Another one that has been sitting on my Kindle forever that I finally got around to reading. I really liked this one a lot.
Stephanie
Lindsey Rae
I struggle between rating this a 3.5 and a 4.

I honestly couldn't put this book down. I read it in less than a day. It was a quick read, but also powerful and inspiring. These two characters suffered such great tragedies, but instead of letting it define them, they let their experiences make them stronger. A powerful lesson we can all relate to in some way, and really inspire us to be better people. Jake and Sam were admirable and strong characters. I really enjoyed them. Jake was especially suc
Jenny Q
I really liked the first half of this book, which introduced us to Jake Hayes, a popular senior who had it all, and then followed his struggle to put his life back together after a drunken crash robbed him not only of his voice, but of his confidence and his passions and his dreams, too. The premise really intrigued me, Jake won my heart right away, and I couldn't wait to see how he would find the courage to tell his life-long crush Samantha that he loved her when he had never been able to do so ...more
What a beautiful story! It also teaches a great lesson, there are always consequences for your actions. I tend to really enjoy realistic fiction since it's somewhat easier to imagine, therefore I get really emotionally involved with the characters. What I Didn't Say was no exception to this. Keary Taylor crafts a wonderful story that makes you realize how quickly your life can change. It's scary really, but a great story nonetheless.

What I Didn't Say is from the point of view of Jake Hayes, hoor
Sandi Layne
I bought this book based upon the review and recommendation of Chatty Girl Book Reviews (http://chattygirlbookreviews.wordpres...) and I am so glad I did.

This is, basically, a romance woven with a cautionary tale of teenaged responsibility. The summary tells you that Jake (Our Hero) was wounded after a night of underage drinking. Wounded to the point that he would never be able to talk again. How he reacted to that, his periodic dips into depression and anger, and his resolve to try not to be se
Where can I find this book? 7 41 Nov 10, 2014 05:19PM
What's The Name o...: Guy loses voice [s] 7 45 Jun 08, 2013 08:47AM
Crazy for Young A...: What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor → Start Date: May 5, 2013 89 48 May 12, 2013 08:42AM
Shut Up & Read: What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor 55 91 Jul 20, 2012 06:25AM
  • Freeing Carter
  • A Little Less Girl
  • Miss Me Not
  • Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls
  • Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2)
  • Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight, #1)
  • Twisted
  • Almost
  • I'll Be Here
  • Always and Forever
  • Dante's Girl (The Paradise Diaries, #1)
  • Last Summer
  • The Unexpected List (The List Trilogy, #2)
  • My Heart for Yours (Crawford, #1)
  • Geek Girl
  • Fragile
  • The Space Between (Space, #1)
  • Between Friends
3420702
Keary Taylor grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now resides on a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and their two young children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that frequently keeps her up at night. She is the author of THE EDEN TRILOGY, the FALL OF AN ...more
More about Keary Taylor...
Branded (Fall of Angels, #1) Forsaken (Fall of Angels, #2) Vindicated (Fall of Angels, #3) Eden (The Eden Trilogy, #1) Afterlife (Fall of Angels, #3.5)

“Once you start down the slippery slope of depression, it's hard to climb off of it. And sometimes you don't want to climb off of it.” 57 likes
“My biggest regret is what I didn’t say… (Jake)” 50 likes