Start by marking “This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life” as Want to Read:
This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life

This is a Cookbook: Recipes For Real Life

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Get into the kitchen. Use what’s in there. And don’t be worried about f’ing it up. James Beard Foundation 2012 Rising Star nominee Max Sussman and his partner in crime, Eli, are over perfection. They care about cooking good food that tastes like you made it. Teaming up with Olive Press, these Brooklyn brothers of Über-hip New York establishments Roberta’s and Mile End have ...more
Published September 10th 2012 by Olive Press (first published May 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This is a Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is a Cookbook

May 23, 2013 M rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cookbooks
My one complaint. No table of contents at the beginning. Really. It lists the six sections of different food genres. And then turn to that page to see a list of those recipes. But no master list. I can't remember which category a dish belongs to. And makes it more difficult to browse recipes.
"Lazy Brunch: roll out of bed & put on a Motown record. It's time for eggs & day drinking"

I'm 5 pages into this book and already I love it. These guys are quirky and interesting and real. Can't wait to finish the book & add some recipes to my box.

Finished! I absolutely adored this book and have tagged a few recipes I plan on copying before I return to the library. The authors & creators of the recipes are the type of guys you want to be friends with. If they in
Cute, quirky, non-intimidating cookbook.
T Crockett
I liked the casual, speaking to the reader tone, but it felt like it was talking to someone with a more urban (possibly in their twenties) lifestyle. That's not me.

Having said that there are about 6 recipes I want to try, including Nutella Rolls, cauliflower with a tahini sauce, and their page of unexpected popcorn toppings.
Lonnie Tapia
This is one of one cookbooks that kicks you in the butt. You want to cook everything — its not the aspirational cook book that just sits on your shelf.

Try the Korean ribs. They are to die for.

The categories and chapter names are fun and realistic: what to make when you get home late after a bar crawl? This book has you covered.
I really love this cookbook. It's full of all my comfort foods and I plan to cook my way through it quickly - from the fried rice to the chocolate peanut butter pie. Oh my!
Ivy Zheng
Aug 18, 2012 Ivy Zheng marked it as to-read
I loved cooking so this book is going to be great for me! I liked making new food and tasting food and COOKING!! YAY
Aug 24, 2012 Lynne marked it as to-read
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Looking forward to reading it. Thank you.
Christoph Hellmuth
Really neat recipes in here.
Some quiet simple but all tasting great
I wish there were more vegetarian dinner options.
Aug 23, 2012 shinfu marked it as to-read
Looks interesting.
Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Rachel added it
Oct 04, 2015
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Jaye marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Sumeet Khanna
Sumeet Khanna marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
S.K. marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Ronni added it
May 28, 2015
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
felicia joseph
felicia joseph marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours
  • Secrets of the Best Chefs: Recipes, Techniques, and Tricks from America’s Greatest Cooks
  • The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Book: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, and Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show
  • Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Dr. Seuss
  • Home Made Winter
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented
  • Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Cooking with Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You
The Best Cookbook Ever Freshman in the Kitchen: From Clueless Cook to Creative Chef Classic Recipes for Modern People Molecular Medical Microbiology, Three-Volume Set