Start by marking “Don't Let Me Go” as Want to Read:
Don't Let Me Go

Don't Let Me Go

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  3,263 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
Some people spend their whole lives looking for the right partner. Nate Schaper found his in high school. In the eight months since their cautious flirting became a real, heart-pounding, tell-the-parents relationship, Nate and Adam have been inseparable. Even when local kids take their homophobia to brutal levels, Nate is undaunted. He and Adam are rock solid. Two parts of ...more
Published December 27th 2011 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Don't Let Me Go, please sign up.

Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

If you decide to read this book, there are two things you need to overlook.

- The frequent time jumps throughout the story can be disorienting. Considering that very bad things happen to the main characters, I appreciate the author’s use of this technique that in some ways helps to lessen the intensity of the events and in other ways makes them even more horrifying. Just pay attention and you will find the story flows nicely and comes togethe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
One of the most angst-filled books that I have ever read... holy crap.

This book is completely polarizing among my friends. Some hate it and 1 starred it, others loved it and favorited it. I feel like I'm on both ends simultaneously, so I settled on 3 stars.

What I liked:
- This book felt like an older YA book and I'm not talking about sex content. The way the characters acted and felt was authentic and mature while still staying appropriate for their age. It is a huge pet peeve of mine in YA whe
Sarah (saz101)
Love. It’s romanticised, mythologised – frequently sanitised – and at its most beautiful, its most pure, there is no single greater force for good in this world. Yet soured or corrupted, or viewed from aside with a poisoned heart, the hatred it incites is perhaps the most destructive, and it is this – love and hate, and the price of both – that Don’t Let Me Go examines – in often heartbreaking extremes.

It’s a basic right, particularly in the Western world, that we may love who we choose, or, sho
Sean Kennedy
Dec 23, 2012 Sean Kennedy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I struggled with this book. It was YA fiction written with the worst of the m/m tropes. Gay bashing? Check! Rampant homophobia? Check! Hurt/comfort? (view spoiler) Check! Fag hag who tries to sleep with her gay best friend, and then vicariously lives through their relationship until she gets her own? Check! Straightsplaining by the straight characters? Oh, yes, check! Add to all of this a horrendously co-dependent relationship which m ...more
Thomas
I really wanted to love this book. I moved heaven and earth to find it. Well, not really - I searched all of my local libraries, and the nearby bookstores. I couldn't buy it on Amazon in case my mom got to it before I did. I resorted to ordering it through Barnes & Noble, and I'm still not sure why Don't Let Me Go was so difficult to obtain.

It's like gay chick-lit, but better. The story revolves around Nate Schaper, a high school senior who has already found his soul mate. Nate and Adam are
Brigid
Oct 01, 2012 Brigid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of John Green, David Levithan, Barry Lyga
Shelves: favorites
Okay, so this book was amazing.

This book was marketed as adult, but I'd say it's pretty damn fine YA. I'd put this up there with John Green and David Levithan. YES. REALLY.

First off, I couldn't put it down. Seriously. I read on my phone, I read at the gym -- WHILE RUNNING, people -- I read in the car (while someone else was driving), I read any chance I could get.

The romance? Amazing. The characters? Amazing. The whole story was just beautiful and fulfilling and ... seriously, I just want to
Deeze
A lovely story of first love.

We get to follow Nate and Adam as they journey through the upheavals of first love and life. Their journey is a roller coaster ride that will leave you feeling everything from hope and love to frustration and heartbreak.

Along the way we get to meet some wonderful characters and some pretty nasty ones too. All play a big part in this story.

I admit I struggled with the way this book was written. The time line was not always clear, and as in most cases the flash backs
June Helmsley
Holy fuckstick on a fucking narwhal/velociraptor/dragon beast, this book is the best thing since ever and holy shit! I'm smiling so hard people are noticing.

I'm going to try to write a coherent review but I don't know if I can do it. Here it goes.

You know something horrible happened to Nate and there are a lot of flashbacks but it's done well so you're not like "I thought this happened then and what's what?"

SECOND
Nate and Adam are the best couple since Connor and David in Kamikaze Boys an
Nichole (Dirrty H)
So bottom line: I Fucking Loved This Book.

Now, that said, I must give fair warning because there are some of you out there who are just plain picky, and if you're not going to like it, then you should know now so you can skip it. There are some issues in this book that, while they didn't bother me, are hard limits for others.

1. Oh, the teenage angst. While this did not approach Amy Lane levels in my opinion, we are dealing with high school students who are dramatic and immature, as well as some
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

This book had SO much potential and fell terribly flat. I absolutely love the premise and I totally swooned over the cover. Other reviewers compared this to works by David Levithan and John Green, so I was expecting to be wowed.

And I was. Just not in a good way.

To be fair, I am not gay. I am also not a guy. So I have no idea what it's like to be a recently-out 17-year-old high school boy. But I DO read a fair bit of GLBT YA fiction, so I'm not completely
Justin
May 25, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to begin by saying that I have never, never in all my life become so attached to a book's characters or so utterly engrossed into the world of a novel. Not since I read Maria McCann's As Meat Loves Salt have I actually let my emotions meld with those of the characters themselves. I fell in love with these characters. I got angry at them. I felt their pain and their loss and their joy. There were at least eight times when I had to turn the book over and set it aside for a moment because I ...more
Natalie
Aug 28, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
"He made you feel like you were the only person in the world, that what you had to say was more important then any other worlds uttered since the dawn of time."

It is hard to believe that this is "J h Trumble's" debut novel. It was spectacular, and incredible well written. It may be a book for young adults with no extrem sexual context, but there was plenty of sexual tension. And god was it profound and deep. It made me feel more then many of the books I have read combined. It has gone not only d
Tina
Jan 12, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know those books that start with a prologue with young characters, maybe in high school or college then the actual book is their story ten years from that point? This wonderful book is exactly the opposite. We get to see Nate and Adam when they are young, just coming to terms with their being gay. We get to see them struggling with family and school and hate crime while coming out. We get to see what happens to them (and many others) when one half of a high school love affair moves away. The ...more
Jason
4.5 Because Nate & Adam aren't Ben and Tim (although this novel is by far more sophisticated).... and epilogues are so cheap.

I also demand, as do many others, that J.H. Trumble write another novel to fill in that space, cause we ALL need to know what happened to Nate and Adam

i know you're good
i know you're right
i know you mean the best every time you stop by
don't know what to say
don't know how to act
cause i'm still moved by you
cause you just have to ask

no it doesn't hurt
unless i walk
i don'
Josh
Dec 30, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, glbt, favorites, ya-lit
I honestly can't remember where I heard the early buzz for this book. All I do remember is putting it on my wishlist and checking the release date every Tuesday for at least a month before I was finally able to download it to my nook. I gotta say, it was well worth the wait.

Don't Let Me Go is told from the point of view of Nate, a gay high school senior recounting his relationship with Adam, his first and only boyfriend, and the many events that bind them together. When Adam leaves Texas to work
Trisha
May 22, 2015 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 6-star-reads, mm, mm-faves
Delicious, delicious angst. God knows I love it. And this book delivers it in spades. We jump right into Adam and nate's relationship and are introduced right as they are about to step out of the honeymoon phase. Adam is a year older and heading to New York, while Nate is to stay behind and finish his last year of high school. We are reassured by flashbacks of how much this couple went through to get to where they are (coming out, being harassed, being sexually assaulted, abandoned by parents). ...more
Lettersalad
Nov 04, 2011 Lettersalad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
Nate und Adam lernen sich auf der High School kennen und lieben. An sich nichts Ungewöhnliches, wenn man die Tatsache außer Betracht lässt, das sie beide Jungs sind. Gerade für Nate ist dieser Umstand neu, denn er hat sich erst vor wenigen Wochen zu einem Outing entschlossen. Wie man sich nun denken kann, stößt er damit nicht nur bei seinen Mitschülern sondern auch in seiner eigenen Familie auf Unverständnis und muss sich schlimmsten Anfeindungen und Vorwürfen gegenüberstellen.
Doch da ist Adam,
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
OMG~The Plot & Concept of the book JUST AWESOME!!!! BUT...This is how I felt reading this book~

The Flow took me on a ride that made me feel like I needed to just hang on ...Okay~ 1st, it took me a while to get into the book, and when I finally thought, hey I'm liking this...I loss my grip ...~Example~ (view spoiler)
Helene
Feb 05, 2012 Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I should probably wait until the tears subside to write this review, but you know what...I don't want to.

After all, this is a book about being true to yourself and those you love and being responsible both for and to them. I've been trying to think about whether there has ever been a (literary)relationship I've rooted for harder than I rooted for Nate and Adams's and I can't think of one.

J.H. Trumble has done the most difficult of things: created complex, REAL, characters who aren't fighting zom
David James
May 06, 2013 David James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trumble has this way of creating very real, very flawed characters that enhance all the messages and morals of the story. Don't Let Me Go is about relationships, about love, about life. And in the end you're left with the realization that there are, in fact, many different kinds of love. Perhaps the one we have is not the one we think we had, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful. The loves we all have bring us back to this: Don't Let Me Go by J.H. Trumble will hit close to home with you n ...more
Dreamer
This m/m romance makes for quite an obsessive read and yet there were no highlighted passages to quote.. weird! Follows high school senior Nate as he deals with his absentee boyfriend Adam and the aftermath of a vicious assault.
Elisa Rolle
May 26, 2013 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2012 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Yvie
Jan 18, 2012 Yvie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book when it was recommended to me on Goodreads based on books I had already read. The synopsis intrigued me and I downloaded a sample to my ereader. And boy, am I glad that I did.

Don’t Let Me Go is a story of love and hate. Love, because the two main protagonists are in an all consuming relationship; and hate because of the repercussions the two main protagonists have to face as a result of their sexuality.

Nate and Adam are madly in love with each other. After skirting around
Mai
This book can be your ultimate definition of "Love is complicated"

The book starts out from the heart of one of the most frustrating relationships. It's genius, polarizing, and heartbreaking, yet it made me want to throw my phone at the wall, I couldn't bare with Nate, yet I related to him on so many levels. Polarizing and it's not funny.

The book has got it all, from the swooning-worthy gay couple to the hurt/comfort angst, I enjoyed this book so much and when I finished it I wanted more. I didn'
Alex Bennett
I was very eager to read Don’t Let Me Go since I first started hearing about it—because all I was hearing was how fantastic this book is. At the beginning of my reading it, I wasn’t so sure I was going to love it as much as everyone else was seeming to, but once I got going, I learned that everyone was right. Don’t Let Me Go is a truly outstanding book.

Essentially, Don’t Let Me Go is about relationships and how they can go through the good and the bad. I loved that Nate and Adam’s relationship w
Arch Bala
Don’t Let Me Go is an emotionally charged book that encompasses the joy and perils of young love between homosexual teens. I’ve a lot of difficulty reading this book because it felt too heavy – yeah, it’s just hitting closer to home I guess. More than half of the story was in flashbacks and I usually find that annoying but in this book, I’ve this intense feeling of wanting to know more about Adam and Nate.

There’s just so much of a reality in this book that at one point, I find myself gritting my
Edina Rose
I don't like stories where one person has to give up his dreams for love. I also don't like stories where the two lovers have an unhealthy interdependent relationship. And I can't stand characters who are self-centred, selfish, whinny and weak. You've got all that in this book, and I can't believe it but I liked the book!?! WTH? I guess I'm changing, or it's this author's magic, or both.

Adam and Nate met in their junior year and felt in love. Nate is high maintenance and Adam likes to be his de
Wendy
Exina
Oct 10, 2013 Exina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
5 stars out of 5

"It was a beautiful story. Although most of it was pretty upsetting, and I couldn’t identify with certain decisions of the characters, I have to admit that this book is really good. It’s heartfelt, sincere (!), believable, and loveable."

Guest review posted by Lex on my blog! See her review here.
Grant
Aug 06, 2012 Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbt
The very best book I have read in the genre. Many parallels with my own life, so more identifiable than any book I've read previously.

Strong characterisation, very realistic story; yet still heart warming. Refreshingly original. Very good sense of humour.

The characters will stay with me for a long time after putting the book down.

The only regret... that the book was not twice as long!
readers advisory ...: Reapproaching same question. 10 60 Oct 01, 2015 03:21AM
  • Collide
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like, #2)
  • Outtakes of A Walking Mistake
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • The Price of Falling
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • The Cranberry Hush
  • Out of the Pocket
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
  • The Decisions We Make
  • Trust Me
  • Leave Myself Behind
  • Hushed
J.H. Trumble is a Texas native and graduate of Sam Houston State University. You can visit the author online at http://www.jhtrumble.com and on Facebook and Twitter.
More about J.H. Trumble...

“I’ll never understand why some people can’t just let others live their lives, you know,” Danial said. “You don’t have to understand. You don’t have to agree. Just leave people alone. When I look at the moon and planets and stars, all that narrow-mindedness and hate seem so petty. The universe is such a big place. One hundred thousand light years just from one end of the Milky Way to the other. One hundred. Thousand. Light years. In the time it’s taken for light to travel from one end of our galaxy to the other, thousands of generations have passed. It really makes you realize how small we are, doesn’t it? How short our time on earth is.” 47 likes
“Our nights were filled with passion and long soft gazes and sweet words. We weren't behaving ourselves, and we didn't for one moment feel guilty about that.” 34 likes