Start by marking “The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)

The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest #6)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,514 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
The next missing gem from the magical Belt of Deltora lies hidden in the underwater lair of the hideous and ferocious Glus. Lief, Barda, and Jasmine must summon all their strength and courage to make it through the Maze of the Beast.
Mass Market Paperback, 129 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Maze of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maze of the Beast

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Bridge Across The River by Shepherd Thorleif HalvorsenThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonThe Looking Glass Wars by Frank BeddorSeeing Redd by Frank Beddor
Great Young Adult Books and Preteen Books
59th out of 243 books — 62 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienAn Interrupted Love Story by Billy Wood-SmithThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsTorn by Billy Wood-Smith
Third person fiction
29th out of 211 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest #6), Emily Rodda
عنوان: هزاتوی هیولا؛ نویسنده: امیلی رودا؛ مترجم: محبوبه نجف خانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1382؛ در 160 ص، مصور، نقشه؛ فروست: در جستجوی دلتورا؛ رمان نوجوانان؛ شابک: 978964176814؛ چاپ چهارم 1386؛ چاپ پنجم 1388؛ چاپ ششم 1389؛ موضوع: جادوگری - داستانهای کودکان و نوجوانان از نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م
Max Grant
Feb 07, 2012 Max Grant rated it really liked it
I found this book to be one of the better novels in the series. It had much mystery to it, as it was set out in a much unfamiliar environment to me (Underwater, Maze). Throughout the entire book, you could never really tell what was going to happen until the moment you started reading the exact situation. Even though you can't actually see what's going on, The mental image you can paint in your mind is so in depth, This is because the author Emily Rodda has worded the novel to make it extremely ...more
Jess
Nov 16, 2014 Jess rated it it was amazing
The Maze of the Beast was a wonderful read. Rereading favourite books from childhood as an adult, you begin to see themes you would not have recognised or appreciated in full as a child. For me, this novel seemed to centre on the concept of trust. With ols prowling and new characters and old entering the tale (Dain and Doom), Lief, Barda and Jasmine have to play a dangerous game, deciphering truth from lies and fact from illusion.

The value of the three heroes as a team is also highlighted, parti
Sarah Eagle
Jul 30, 2015 Sarah Eagle rated it it was amazing
You would think that as a series goes on, it starts hitting a plateau and getting worse. You would be wrong for this series! Rodda has such a tight plan that at almost no point during most of these books do you feel the story drags, and never is something done without intent.
This particular installation in the series does several things; it adds to the grand scheme of what's going on outside the quest, it builds up tension and helps us get to know the villain, the Shadow Lord, it gives us new d
Marchel
Jan 27, 2011 Marchel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cerita keenam Lief, Barda, n Jasmine dalam menemukan kembali permata-permata yg direbut musuh dan disebar di seluruh Deltora.

Sudah 5 permata yg ditemukan dan direbut kembali. Dan semakin lama Raja Bayangan akan semakin menyadari bahwa seseorang sedang mengumpulkan kembali permata-permata itu untuk disatukan kembali dalam Sabuk Deltora.

Setelah Gunung Kengerian semakin jauh, permukaan tanah berubah menjadi rawa-rawa di sana sini. Ketiga sekawan itu menyadari kalau mereka telah sampai di daerah Bar
Calina Benassa
Mar 19, 2016 Calina Benassa rated it it was amazing
I loved this whole series, but this book in particular was my absolute favorite. I had the whole set as a 9 year old, and I made my parents bring them to the hospital with us when I was admitted that year. They were that good. Emily Rhoda is a master of writing to intrigue the young mind, and I suggest these books for all up and coming adventurers.
Iri
Jun 01, 2015 Iri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deltora
Reread 2. 6. 2015

Dát jedné mé kamarádce přečíst Deltoru a zvláště tento díl, asi by se mnou už v životě nepromluvila. Není totiž nad velkého děsivého slimáka, který je navíc popsaný brilantně. A právě takový brilantně popsaný slimák by pro chudáka kamarádku, co se těchto tvorů všeobecně panicky bojí, asi nebylo to pravé ořechové. Ale povím to takhle - tahle příšera byla zatím popsaná asi nejgeniálněji, všechna čest. Říkám si, že za kamarádčinu reakci by možná trochu toho risku stálo podstoupit.
Emma Ruth
Jan 09, 2015 Emma Ruth rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites from the series. Though I love them all, I love this one especially. More mystery, more characters, another excellent beast. As I get further and further into the series during this re-read, I remember less and less, so it's like rediscovering the series all over again.
Lucky Lion
Mar 26, 2016 Lucky Lion rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, mainly because of the introduction of Ols, which I think the author did a really good job putting into the story. I also thought that this book was wonderfully creepy and scary.
Sharto
Sep 08, 2015 Sharto rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was tiny and it scared the absolute shit out of me. I read it again over a decade later and it scared the absolute shit out of me. 10/10 would read again.
Wickedshizuku
Feb 02, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 5th graders and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
 photo areyouhavingfunyet_zpse9fb64f0.gif

So far this entire series has been very enjoyable and amusing. If this had been written for adults I believe this could have possibly been really big. As it is; it was written for children. The action and violence is really glazed over. Also it is very hard to grasp the passing of time in this plotline. The adventure itself is superb.
thelastword
Apr 29, 2015 thelastword rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. But I will dock it one star *SPOILER ALERT*

for the trio not even mentioning Dain, even in a passing comment, at the end. How cruel.
Sophie Anderson
Jan 30, 2016 Sophie Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I liked this one more than the previous ones. It seemed to be a little bit darker and less childish, but still had a heartwarming outcome and an emphasis on friendship and honor and common sense, which I think we all need to instill in our children.
Renay
Feb 17, 2010 Renay rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
fun and flying through adventures and hair raising scary bits, the book uses language that is easy to read, and interestingly written.
still fluking his way through misadventures and amazingly overcoming odds, our hero lief and his companions are well on their way to saving deltora.
man, if it's this eaasy to be a super hero, i think I should become one!
lief has learned not much as his story goes along, and has little or no skill, but manages to beat beast after beast, and odd and bewildering eve
McKenzie Richardson
As with the rest of the series, good story and fun adventures. I did feel like there were less riddles in this book than in the others, which is what kept me from giving it four stars. Still a very good book and a good extension of the series.
Nura
Dec 30, 2014 Nura rated it liked it
Si Ol ini keren banget, walopun cuma grade satu. shape-shifter yg bisa jadi apa aja. Sementara si Glus ngigetin sama Katsuyu (kalo tanpa gigi runcingnya).
Katie W
Sep 04, 2014 Katie W rated it really liked it
These books stay so creative and the characters maintain their identities and relationships. I enjoyed this one just as much as my kids! We can't wait to see what happens next.
Saeed dourandish
lif , barda va jasmin , 3hamsafari hastand ke tanha noghteye moshtarakeshan , nefrat az doshmani vahed ast. anha baraye peyda kardane 7 gohare jadoiie kamarband nacharand dast be jost o johaye khatar naki bezanand
zira tanha zamani ke kamarband kamel shavad arbabe saye ha sarnegoon mishavad.
ta be hal , 5 gohar peyda shode ast.
sange 6m da laneye hayolaii be name gelase zesht va holnak , zire ab makhfi shode ast.
lif , barda va jasmin ke tahte taghibe khademane arbabe saye ha hastand , be tamame nir
Ria
Jun 06, 2014 Ria rated it it was amazing
i thought it was adventurous and i liked the violence
Fantasy Nebula
Sep 19, 2014 Fantasy Nebula rated it really liked it
Definitely going on list of favourite books!
Lairmemo
May 26, 2011 Lairmemo rated it really liked it
Two books left to go, and the series is reaching its climax quickly. However, this installment didn't seem as exciting as the previous books, and the guardian of this gem seemed a bit weak. The pirate storyline was interesting, and I liked it. I also like our new character, Dain, and the introduction to these shapeshifting creatures named "Ols". The Glus and the maze was interesting, but I felt that this book was almost unneeded. Was it bad? No! But I'm only going to give it a 4/5 because this i ...more
Nyla
Feb 18, 2014 Nyla added it
Terrifying when you're in gr.6
Kateřina Vaňková
Tenhle díl mě až tak neuchvátil... Ale Jasmína ve společenském byla zajímavá představa. :D
Jason
Feb 10, 2011 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Imaginitive, but a little strange this time around. The author certainly has made each of the quests different and engaging...not getting the same thing each time around. I also like the fact that she is having to get other characters involved...more engaging as the story is going and realistic in so far as the characters would not be able to go around for as long as they have without attention and ultimately needing help from others along the way.
Ihamilto
Nov 03, 2011 Ihamilto rated it really liked it
Leif has been chosen to restore the belt of Deltora. Accompanied Barda and Jasmine they returned five gen back to the belt, the Topaz, the Ruby, the Opal, the Lapis Lazuli and the Emerald. They are now on there way to the Maze of the Beast to get the Amethyst. They have been captured by pirate and was thrown into the Maze of the Beast. The pirates called the beast "The Glus". While Barda and Jamine distracted the beast while Leif trys to find the gem.
Mckinley
Nov 05, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, adventure
Engaging. Great tone and pace; enough action to keep things going with enough dialog to fill out characters. I enjoyed this series greatly.
Moriah
Aug 05, 2014 Moriah rated it really liked it
This one had me guessing a little bit! Super good!
Frank
Feb 29, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing
Yet another great read in Deltora Quest series. Pirates and Ols (which can take on the shape of anything or anyone) give them a tough time. They also decide to split up so as not to be easily discovered. But will they ever meet up again. And so the sixth stone appears to be lost for ever. I don't know how Emily Rodda keeps coming up with new characters and creatures as well as new situations. Don't miss this one.
Tim
Aug 02, 2009 Tim rated it liked it
Installment #6 in the "Deltora Quest" series. Actually, I like this one about as much as the first one "Forests of Silence." More action (Pirates! Shape-shifters! Gross monsters! Lots of stuff!) and less talk than the others, thus making it go quicker, so 'twas a fun romp, but the series is getting darker and more ominous (Harry Potter fans would know, but this is MUCH less disturbing!). Two to go!
Amanda Logo
May 11, 2013 Amanda Logo rated it it was amazing
I can't even imagine what this author has in store for the last two books of this energetic series! Just when I think she's run out of room, she creates yet another amazing conflict/challenge and although some things are coming together (which I like, it means the storyline will not rush to an end in the final book) she's taking risks by introducing new characters and mysteries to accompany them!
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Search For the Star (Unicorns Of Balinor, #5)
  • The Wizard's Statue (Circle of Magic #3)
  • Tartok The Ice Beast (Beast Quest, #5)
  • Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)
  • Det tapte hjertet (Phenomena, #3)
  • The Silver Bracelet (The Unicorn's Secret, #3)
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
  • Blabber Mouth (Rowena Batts, #1)
  • The Moon Scroll (The Secrets Of Droon, #15)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...

Deltora Quest (8 books)
  • The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)
  • The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2)
  • City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3)
  • The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)