Start by marking “Bear Wants More” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  5,925 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
When springtime comes,

in his warm winter den

a bear wakes up

very hungry and thin!..."

Bear finds some roots to eat, but that's not enough. He wants more! With his friends' help, he finds some berries, clover, and fish to eat, but that's not enough. Bear wants more!

Published January 1st 2003 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear Wants More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Wants More

Feb 28, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
- Why was bear sleeping? (hibernating through the winter)
-Why is bear hungry and thin?
- Can you show me waddling? (person of the day)
-Can you show me digging? (person of the day)
- Can you pretend you are a bear or a dog or a cat and show me your paws? (Are pays hands of a person or animal?)
- Is nibbling big bites or little bites?
-Is bear still hungry?
-Is scampering big steps or little steps? (Can you show me scampering, one kid)
-Where are bear and mouse going? (to get strawberries)
-What do they
Kathryn
Very cute, fun rhyming story about Bear, who has awakened from his winter slumbers quite hungry and thin. His forest friends help lead him to food but after every meal "bear wants MORE!" There's a cute surprise ending. I really love Karma Wilson's work, she has such an effortless rhyme scheme and Champan's illustrations are just adorable. I have enjoyed all the bear books so far.

The only thing I wasn't wild about was bear eating the fish--I was glad that the initial illustration when he caught t
Amar Pai
Feb 26, 2013 Amar Pai rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Ho hum. Glib, slick and forgettable. Anybody can write a children's book-- the bar is SO low.

These books always gloss over the difficulties of a bear being friends with mice, birds, etc. yet ravenously devouring any fish it sees. Why don't the fish's feelings count? Are fish like the carrots of the sea?

Also I hate when kids books rhyme, but without any sense of meter. It's like they don't understand the concept! They should go back and read Dr. Seuss; he actually took the time to do it right.
Charlie George
May 18, 2009 Charlie George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Nice rhyming and cadence, the way I think a children's book should read. It skips along like Dr. Seuss, but isn't so silly and feels more modern and worthwhile.
Mary
Jan 24, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
So much fun! Bear. Wants. MORE!
Danielle Mootz
May 18, 2017 Danielle Mootz rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Beautiful illustrations
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007
Our girls love the Bear books by Karma Wilson. They are great stories to read aloud, rhyming, sing-song narrative with colorful and fun illustrations. We've read most of her books over and over and over! Our girls really like them and so do I!

December 2015 update: Having introduced our niece to Bear with Bear Snores On in the last year or so, I was excited to show her some of the other tales. We read Bear Stays Up for Christmas since it was almost Christmas, and we found this tale in a board boo
Candice
Mar 22, 2012 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite author/illustrator teams has done it again! Another Bear book with happy, clever rhymes and endearing illustrations. Bear wakes up from his winter nap, and he is famished! His animal friends show him where to find food, but it's never enough, and thus the refrain "the bear wants more" is repeated over and over - just enough for toddlers to know what's coming next. A fun book that will lead to conversations about how some animals hibernate while others do not. Also, if you look ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is almost too adorable; it really has to be read to young children so that adults can appreciate the story too. The bear has the most innocent facial expression and manner. The rhyming and repetitive story is great for picture book age children and the illustrations convey a lushness I liked, and I thought the bear was painted well, but I wasn’t so wild about some of the other animals’ appearances.
Jessica Lopez
Feb 19, 2015 Jessica Lopez rated it liked it
I enjoyed how this book brought all the animals together in search of food for a very hungry bear. The colors really drew me in, but the overall story held my attention. While bear satisfied his hunger, he forgot about making sure his friends were just as satisfied. It was a clear message to not forget those that help you along the way.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Bear wakes up from his long winter's nap and is hungry. His friends share their favorite snacks (berries, fish, and clover) but Bear wants more. Will his friends be able to help him find more food?

The scene at the end reminded me of a classic Winnie-the-Pooh story.
Katherine
Apr 05, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it
This story has a really cute storyline and cute illustrations! This story could be used to introduce poetry and rhyming to students. I would read this story before snack or lunch time because watching bear continue to eat in this book will make you and your students hungry! :)
Heather McLeod
Jan 29, 2017 Heather McLeod rated it it was amazing
We've read hundreds of books to and with our son: Bear Wants More is one of the best. The rhymes and vocabulary are wonderful, the illustrations are full of details that tie in with other books in the series, and there are lots of words per page so we can really get into the story. (I dislike children's books that have only a few words per page -- they're over too quickly and are dull to read. Consider the poor parent!)

Bear Wants More is one of the books I always give new parents. It's sure to b
Mary
Read-Aloud Revival recommendation for May picture books. Another cute installment in the Bear series by Karma Wilson.
Kimberly Harris
Oct 24, 2016 Kimberly Harris rated it it was amazing
Three reasons this has been a favorite book for all three of our kids during their early years: Charming story, great artwork, and a beautiful, rhyming cadence.
Shawn
May 11, 2017 Shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Bear has just come out of hibernation scrawny and famished. He runs into each of his friends in turn and they help him get the food he needs. But bear is so hungry. Wonderfully illustrated.
Jesse
May 09, 2017 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear wakes up from hibernation very hungry! With the help of his friends he fills his tummy before taking a nap.
Miss Sarah
Mar 05, 2017 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Bear has awakened from his winter slumber and wants to eat everything. Each of his friends shares a special treasure but bear always wants more. Right toddler and up or preschool.
Karsyn Konecny
Feb 19, 2017 Karsyn Konecny rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
This book is about a bear who wakes up from hibernation in the spring. He is very hungry and thin and just wants some food. Once bear finds food he can't stop eating and wants more and more. His friends in the woods help him find food till his belly is full. The audience for this book would be kindergarten aged children. I liked this book because it teaches young children about hibernation and how it works in the springtime with animals. It can teach children about nature and we could do activit ...more
Cody McCarty
Sep 16, 2016 Cody McCarty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
Super easy read. Talks about how a bear is in hibernation and how he comes out and wants to eat.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 11, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it it was amazing
(Mommy's review from 1/26/11)

Books like Bear Wants More make up about 75% of the books I love, love, love. (The other 25% consists of books like Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You. This could easily be turned around but I'd be afraid I'd run this sort of book into the ground and it would break my heart.)
This was picked up by chance at our local library because... well, it looks cute. I do judge books by their cover more often than not.
I love short verses that rhyme, awesomely adorable illus
Michelle McBeth
May 26, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
SUMMARY: Bear wakes up from his winter hibernation and he is VERY hungry! He begins by eating his lawn. Then his friends one by one come along and show him another food source including berries and fish. But bear is VERY hungry and cannot seem to get full. His friends throw him a surprise party which includes yummy treats. Bear eats his fill and is finally satisfied.

ILLUSTRATIONS: As with all of the Bear books, the pictures in this book are adorable, colorful, and fun. I always love the animals'
IrenesBookReviews
Oct 11, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book about how God cares for his animals. If your child is interested in animals he/she will enjoy this book. It is meant for younger children but as an adult I even enjoyed reading it.

The story starts with a bear waking up from a long sleep. He is hungry and decides to go in search of food. He meets up with his different animal friends as they are beginning to go find food for themselves. The bear then joins that animal friend and eats some of the food they find together.

Rea
Morgan
Nov 11, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
In this story, poor Bear wakes up from his winter nap hungry and looking for food. Each page is filled with colorful, cuddly pictures of Bear and his friends. Bear eats his way through this adventure but does he know that his friends have made him a meal back in his cave. He has eaten so much already that he can't fit through the door to enjoy his feast. In the end, the feast comes to him, but Bear eats so much that his friends are left wanting more. This silly surprise at the end turns the prob ...more
Camille Ryckman
May 20, 2014 Camille Ryckman rated it really liked it
Brief summary - Bear wakes up and is hungry and each of his friends help him find something to eat until he can't even fit back into his own cave. Then all of his friends want more
Annotation - This story is a great read aloud with each animal who finds bear and really wants to find him something to eat since he is so hungry.
Age appropriateness 0-7
Connection to six early literacy skills
This is great for many different literacy skills but I like it for narrative skill because it builds up each ti
Samantha Penrose
Nov 18, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
This was fantastic! I liked this one so much more than Bear Snores On!
This book has fantastic rhythm and rhyme.
This book features all the same characters from Bear Snores On, so its familiar, and has lots of voices to do (if you do that).
My favorite part is by far the repetition! The "refrain" of the story is, "but the bear wants more". Because this line is repeated over and over again, even young children are able to join in and help tell the story.
This is also a great book for a slightly ol
Lisa Hartmann
Apr 07, 2014 Lisa Hartmann rated it it was amazing
Bear Wants More by Karma Wilson is a sweet wonderful book! I love her series of Bear books. This story is about about Bear that wakes up from his winter hibernation and is hungry. He comes out of his den and starts eating. As he eats all his friends start showing up and taking him to get more food. This book in great because kids can interact in the story. The line Bear wants more, keeps repeating and kids can join in and feel like they are reading with you. The illustrations are so, so sweet. M ...more
Rob
Aug 19, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it
A super-cute kids story by Karma Wilson, Bear Wants More reads like a follow-up to Bear Snores On. It's got a good rhyme scheme and the illustrations are wonderful.

Astute parents will notice that all of the animals on the cover are making the ASL sign for "more".

---

SIDEBAR: Does it bug out anyone else when one of the anthropomorphic animal characters is a carnivore? Not that bears a strict carnivores, but there's this scene in Bear Wants More where he catches a fish (who happens to be smiling, I
Karen
Jul 04, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Bear Wants More is a perfect spring book. Bear wakes up from his long winter hibernation and he's hungry. No matter how much he eats, he's still hungry. His friends try to help by taking him to their favorite feeding places, which is pretty brave of his small woodland friends. The story is simple, but every line is read-out-loud delightful.

Jane Chapman does a wonderful job capturing the essence of the woodland creatures. Her illustrations are beautiful, sweet, endearing, but not at all cartooni
Cathy
Mar 14, 2016 Cathy rated it it was amazing
When springtime comes,
in his warm winter den
a bear wakes up
very hungry and thin!..."

How Bear's friends help him to finally satisfy his HUGE hunger in a most surprising way will enchant young readers. Karma Wilson's rhythmic text and Jane Chapman's vibrant illustrations make Bear Wants More a perfect springtime read-alou
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • Russell the Sheep
  • Lunch
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Bears on Chairs
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Old Bear
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • Dooby Dooby Moo (A Click, Clack Book)
  • This Little Chick
  • The Doghouse
  • Bark, George
  • Leaves
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Hop Jump
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Snores On
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • Bear Feels Sick