Start by marking “Cold Hit (Shane Scully #5)” as Want to Read:
Cold Hit (Shane Scully #5)

Cold Hit (Shane Scully #5)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  963 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
What if, under the PATRIOT Act, federal bureaucrats could take murder cases away from local cops—then bury those cases so they’re never investigated again?
What if government agents could bug your home, your car, your place of business—your entire life—with nothing more than spoken permission from a secret panel of judges?

What if the Department of Homeland Security could
Published August 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Cold Hit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Hit

Tim
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not much of a cohesive story here that deviates from murder to alcoholism and to college football recruitment. Mr. Cannell has written much better. For that reason alone, I'll bump it up to 1 of 10 stars
Gabe
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another great book, very entertaining, the motion picture type of book that will make you feel like you're watching a good movie.

Full of action and suspense, we have our main protagonist L.A. homicide detective Shane Scully and his partner working on what turns to be a very complex and intricate serial murder case. On top of this, his team-partner is experiencing significant distress due to a divorce and the prospect of bankruptcy, combined with heavy drinking and because of it, not only
Glen
Shane Scully is paired with a partner on the way to the skids, when he discovers some serial killings. This is a big case, but as usual in these kinds of books, they lead to something even bigger. Meanwhile, the higher ups form a task force that just gets in the way, because everybody on it is just trying to get a book deal.

A pretty good entry in the series.
Ben Boulden
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold Hit (2005) is Stephen J. Cannell’s fifth novel featuring LAPD Detective Shane Scully and the second I’ve read. The first title I read, On the Grind (2009), was disappointing in its lack of depth, character development and over-easy plotting, but Cold Hit is a top-notch police procedural that renders a fully-realized Shane Scully. A complex plot with more than one surprise, and an alluring Southern California setting.

Shane Scully and his partner Zack Farrell are the primary detectives on a s
Brad
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold Hit by Stephen Cannell is the next Shane Scully story. "Shane and his partner, Zack, are trying to catch the Fingertip Killer. After 7 weeks and no leads a task force is set up and Scully butts heads with the task force commander, SAC Underwood. Scully doesn't believe he can catch the killer this way and convinces some other detectives to help him. So why does he end up being held by Homeland Security for 10 hours. What is the Russian Mob's involvement? Why do the CIA agent and the Russian ...more
Tony
Dec 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Cannell, Stephen J. COLD HIT. (2005). ***. Billed as a Shane Scully novel, this escapade follows Detective Scully of the LAPD as he tries to bring to justice the perpetrator of the “fingertip murders.” Bodies have been turning up in the LA River (You know, the one all paved over.) shot to death through the back of the head, with their fingertips cut off, and a strange symbol carved into their chest with a knife. Shane and his partner are investigating the death of John Doe – 4 when some things d ...more
Darcia Helle
This book had been sitting on one of my shelf for a long time. Too many books, too little time, and somehow this one kept getting overlooked. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it, because both the story and the writing had my full attention throughout.

The characters might be a little stereotypical by today's standards - emotionally damaged, alcoholic cops. Shane, our main character, has conquered his addiction while Zack, his partner, has not. Despite this overused character sketch, I fou
Kathy
Nov 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From a blog post I wrote in 2005:

I picked up the newest Stephen J. Cannell book, Cold Hit, from the library this weekend while on the hunt for all of the Evanovich Stephanie Plum Books. Cannell was the guy behind the TV shows The A-Team, The Rockford Files and The Commish.

A digression here. I loved The A-Team. If I could have run away with Face, I'd have done it. Dirk Benedict was hot in that suave bad boy kind of way. Whew! Wonder what he's doing now...

Anyway, Cannell's hero is Shane Scully, an
Wayne Zurl
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've watched numerous Stephen J. Cannell TV shows over the years, but this was my first Shane Scully novel. The dust jacket summary is enough to draw in fans of police procedurals and with the hint of an out-of-control Homeland Security Czar, this would be a favorite with conspiracy theory buffs and anyone who loves to feel the frustration of a government agents vs local cops story.

It started out fairly serious with Scully and his partner barely able to keep thier heads above water investigating
Sharon
Shane Scully and his down-on-his-luck-hitting-the-bottle-hard partner Zach are investigating a series of killings where the victim’s fingertips are removed. The fourth victim does not quite fit and seems to have Russian connections. The feds are called into the case after the fifth victim is found. In the story there are issues with the feds, homeland security, invasions of privacy, and Russian mafia. Although I basically followed the story line, I did find my self losing interest over parts, es ...more
Space
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime novel lovers
It's nice to get back in touch with Cannell's writing. After I learned belatedly the other day that he had passed, I got into a sort of funk and a little ashamed for not keeping up with him better. Alas, all bad things happen in threes though. After my other two favorite - or at least most-read - authors passed, c'est la vie I guess. He will be missed.

This was another Scully novel about a serial killer labeled "The Fingertip Killer" as he cuts the fingertips off all his victims. Good read. I enj
Ed
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and police procedural fans
This was one of Cannell's rare winners.

Shane Scully, the protagonist, is not unique to this genre but he does have his moments. His wife, being Chief of Detectives, introduces an interesting fillip to the story.

This particular story starts with a serial killing and ends with a very exciting shoot-out. In between Scully's loyalty to his partner is tested, his stubbornness gets him in trouble with a number of VIPs and he continues to come to grips with his past. The Patriot Act is roundly disrespe
David
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent cop series.
Michael
Good escape value with this mystery/thriller that pits LAPD Detective Scully against a serial killer and shadowy forces that impede his investigation, 5th in the series. The killings of homeless men is challenged by difficulty identifying them due to removal of their fingertips. As he gets closer to meaningful clues, linkages to the Russian mob and Homeland Security issues brings an array of enemies out of the woodwork. Unfortunately, his partner�s alcoholism and his son�s negotiations for a col ...more
hench
May 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: back porch skimmers...
memorial day weekend... not really going for the heavy mental lifting... nope, going to drink american beer, sit in the american sun, write some american rock operas about a horse with no name, etc...

what better author to read than stephen j. cannell -- he invented '21 Jump Street,' 'The A Team,' and 'The Greatest American Hero' - the dude is as red white & blue as an ambulance full of crips!

book was ok - fakey serial killer, drunk cops, adopted children looking for football scholarships, b
Debby
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of this author and this LAPD detective/crime series! If you like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series or Ed McBain's 57th Precinct series or James Patterson's Women's Murder Club or Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan series or...(I could go on but I won't), I really think you'd enjoy Stephen J. Cannell's Shane Scully series! Be sure to start with the 1st book The Tin Collectors. Check out this website to get the order that the books are written (there are 11 books in the series; I've only ...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COLD HIT is my first Stephen J. Cannell novel, and I thought it was good. I picked it up because Scott Brick is the reader and I haven't come across a book he's read that I haven't enjoyed.

Shane Scully's a believable character, although at times I wanted to knock him upside the head for the way he treated his partner. The mystery was interesting with some nice twists and turns, and Cannell tackles a challenging subject - the expanded powers the US government holds to monitor and detain its citiz
Ed Schmidt
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A body of a homeless man is found, his fingertips cut off and a strange symbol cut into his chest. This is the 4th such body found and Shane is sure he has a serial killer on his hands. With few clues and a partner who is suicidal, a task force is set up to catch the killer. However, one of the victims doesn't exactly strike Shane as fitting the profile. As he digs deeper, he finds himself in the middle of a cold case that leads to Cold War espionage, and it almost costs him his life.
David
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cold Hit is the best of the Shane Scully series I've read so far. It starts with the body of a homeless man found in an aqueduct and leads to run ins with Homeland Defense. It raises fears about the Patriot Act in a way that doesn't insult the reader's intelligence. Lots of fun.

Reviewed by, David Feeney, author; Terror on the high seas
Joe
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Another in the Shane Scully series. Police procedure. This time out, dealing with the Russian Mob, Homeland Security and the Patriot Act. Talk about scary....even in Fiction, it makes you wonder...what if they really COULD do this!
The things "THEY DO" i.e. US Government, even to the LA Police Department, including Shane has you wondering...can they really DO THIS? all in the name of National Security!
Add in a serial killer, cutting off "finger tips" and you have one hell of a wild ride!
Carrol
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-cd
I have listened to several previous Shane Scully books on CD. I think I enjoyed this one the most although the others provided great background info for this one. In this one, he is much more settled - married and a family - and is the stable partner in the detective team. He is investigating what appears to be a serial killer and there are some interesting twists and turns. It was a very enjoyable book to listen to on CD (or converted to MP3) and worked out well to take when I traveled.
Marti
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of action in this book. The hero is Shane Scully, who is married to another police officer, Alexa, who outranks him. He has a son by a former relationship, who is hoping to get a college football scholarship. He also has a partner, Zack Farrell, who is going off the deep end due to a divorce. According to the book: "Cold Hit: Police terminology referring to a ballistics matcg tying one crime or weapon to another. The Russian gangsters are also involved.
Michael crage
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of many Shane Scully novels. If you like tough-nosed detective stories with action, you will like them. I started reading Stephen J. Cannell's books because I enjoyed several TV shows he created. (i.e. The A-Team, Silk Stocking, The Rockford Files for a few.). He is a very readable author.

Sue
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading another Shane Scully book is like coming home. He is the sort of flawed character who does the right thing no matter the cost who is realistic to follow. His life is not always easy, and I can relate to that. I really like Harry Bosch from another series, but I think I may like Detective Scully even better.
Mary Sue
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery and crime story fans
Recommended to Mary Sue by: Rosann Saunders
Shane Scully is the main character in this police procedural. His wife Alexa is also his boss as the head of the Detective Serivices Group. Scully is a lone wolf like JA Jance's and Michael Connely's heros. There is a lot of internal departmental bickering and FBI glory hogs. Also has enough twists and turns to hold your interest.
Nick
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who like cop books and easy to read books
Recommended to Nick by: my dad
This is the 5th of the Shane Skully novels. Alot of characters in this book however the main few are great again. Little predictable in some spots but a little bit of a twist to keep you going. Out of the Shane Skully Novels I have read this is probably either 2 or third on my list of favorites. Cannell is a good story teller and Shane and Alexa are great.
Christian Belz
The plot, about a cop chasing a serial murder that doesn't fit the pattern, his messed up partner, and the politics of crime solving with various jurisdictions involved, moves quickly and is engaging. The writing on the sentence and paragraph level, however, bogs down the reading. Over explaining, repeated information, and useless words could have been cut out to make this a first rate novel.
Nolan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paste police thriller that will take you from the mean streets of Los Angeles were homeless Vietnam vets are being murdered to a killing that harkens back to the cold war and the 1980s. Once again, the authors ability to weave in wonderful subplots is a hallmark of this book. You can't help but be interested in the lives of Shane's wife and son.
Ed
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the Shane Scully series.

LAPD homicide Sgt Shane Scully is investigating a series of homicides involving homeless men being dumped with their fingertips missing and a strange symbol carved on their chests. The investigation is interrupted by Homeland Security agents who abduct Shane and his partners and take over the case. Shane won't take go for an answer.
Davehk
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are absolute page turners. Not the world's greatest literature, but if you're looking for interesting, thoughtful murder-mystery this is the stuff. The fact that it's laced with laugh-out-loud black humor is icing on the cake.

For example "we're more f*cked than a sheep at an Appalachian barn dance". How can you not love that?
  • Against the Wind
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • Exact Revenge
  • The Good Guys
  • The Time Pirate (Nick McIver, #2)
  • Death Row (Ben Kincaid, #12)
  • Iron River (Charlie Hood, #3)
  • Hit and Run (Keller, #4)
  • The Chill
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Vertical Burn
  • The Uncanny
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Scent of Murder
Stephen J. Cannell was an American television producer, writer, novelist, and occasional actor, and the founder of Cannell Entertainment (formerly Stephen J. Cannell Productions) and the Cannell Studios.

Cannell created or co-created several successful TV series from the 1970s to the 1990s. Creations included The Rockford Files, The A-Team, The Greatest American Hero, 21 Jump Street, and The Commis
More about Stephen J. Cannell...

Shane Scully (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)
  • On The Grind (Shane Scully, #8)
  • The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)

“If ya let hornets rest in yer outhouse, it's hard t'get pissed when they buzz down and sting yer ass.” 9 likes