Start by marking “Outies (Moties, #3)” as Want to Read:
Outies (Moties, #3)

Outies

(Moties #3)

Outies is an authorized sequel to The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand by best-selling SF duo Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. With a fresh point of view, deep continuity, and page-turning plot twists, J.R. (Jennifer) Pournelle brings a mature generation of Moties to life for a mature generation of readers. Outies introduces new characters, adds depth to beloved old ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by New Brookland Press (first published April 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Outies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outies

Jennifer Pournelle
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ok, I am saying up front: I'm the author of Outies . Yes, I wrote it. I have to put some number of stars on it. or I can't tell you about it. If I only put one, I'd be lying, and anyway you wouldn't see this.

This is a sequel to The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, and I wrote it on a bet. As in:
"I bet you can't!"
"Bet I can!"
"Can Not!"
"Can TOO!"
"Can't!"
"Can!"
If this sounds like childish sibling rivalry, well, I couldn't possible comment.

It's a
Erin Lale
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The action in Outies builds and builds. This book is like a song that starts with nature sounds, adds a few notes like rain falling into the music, drums up the excitement with a percussion rhythm and then pours on the instruments and storms on through to a joyful, thunderous crescendo.

Readers of the Pournelle universe will love this sequel to The Mote in God’s Eye. The story sheds light on the origin of the Moties, and the plot turns on science and engineering in a way that will delight fans o
Roberto
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mess. There are some good ideas in there but:

1) It desperately needs an editor (example: it uses "composite compound" as the description of a material)

2) Characters appear out of nowhere, and disappear 20 pages later, to never be seen again.

3) The action scenes are so confusing they would make Michael Bay blush.

4) The publisher should put the author's full name in the cover so noone confuses her with her father.
Maryanne Hickston
I really, really liked this. I would have maybe rated it more like 4 stars, but I just thought some of those other reviews were really way off.

I can see where readers who just want to flip pages would not like it, and I would not recommend it to them. It's a more demanding book than that. It gives you an incredible sense of place, and really makes you think about how things might really evolve over time if a world was pretty much, but not totally, cut off. It's way more complex than "I traveled
Harv Griffin
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review - OUTIES by J.R. Pournelle ★★★★

If you read this on a Kindle, before you start reading hit the Prior-Page button a whole bunch of times, until you get to the Cover Art; then, start paging forward. If you don't, you miss the maps and other important background material.

The CHRONOLOGY was not formatted correctly for Kindle: Words in some of the paragraphs extended beyond the edge of the viewing screen on my device.

Even 5% into the novel, I feel this novel ADDS to the Motie Fictional Uni
Duane
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This series declines in quality from book to book;but the first one was of such very high quality that the floor is four or five levels up. Not quite satisfying as the end of the series, but it probably should be unless some real inspiration comes along. Well-worth the read but a little bit laundry-list, a little formulaic.
The characters are still well-drawn but it's hard for me to get involved with royal families and all of that-the importance of the people lessens the import of the events of t
Doug Clark
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well I was so jazzed to find a new book set in the universe of The Mote in God's Eye that I bought it immediately. It starts slow but picks up and gives us a great story set in a fascinating universe.
Carol T.
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mediocre at best

Not near same level as first two Motie books. Too many characters, jumps from one place to another too often, confusing and hard to follow all the plots and subplots. Way too complicated. Had to force myself through to the end.
Jon Latham
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
No. This book is not about belly buttons.

In 1974 Jerry Pournelle published a book titled "The Mote in God's Eye" with an assist from Larry Niven. Then in 1993 the two combined on a sequel titled "The Gripping Hand". These were both hard science fiction novels about first contact with a species from the 'Mote'. They were referred to as Moties. During both novels there was a third group. These were planets outside the Empire of Man. Outies.

Although there wasn't a lot of story line in the two novel
Rudyard Merriam
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: software-read, sf
Once I reached the end I was glad I'd read the book. I actually think there is another book that would be a prequel to the entire series explaining how the 'native' population of New Utah relates to the Moties. Saying more would be a spoiler. The are a lot of details provided about New Utah that lend themselves to this prequel. Intentional or not, the author did provide a basis.

Sequels need to set the stage by somehow summarizing the earlier books. This was not done which leaves first time read
Jack Repenning
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unworthy of the preceding volumes

Formulaic and shallow, this volume makes no attempt to deal with the major, unsolved difficulty of the two predecessors (how can the Moties overcome their population problem and its effect of endless expansion, war, and collapse?), merely locating another group inexplicably not so-troubled.

This frees the narrative to ignore the major, unsolved question, “if Motie war is inescapably forced by biology, then what excuse has humanity, free from such liabilities, for
Peter Rijs
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I was flabbergasted to suddenly find a sequel to the prior books. How had I ever missed that? Bought it without any hesitation. Only after reading I found that it was written by Jenniffer Pournelle . . . . When compared to the original series I'm very sorry to say those are in another league by far.
I'm happy to have read it though but at times had difficulties keeping concentrated. Some parts offer way too much details, distracting me from the story line. Would I buy a sequel? Yes I would, and
geoff mcdonald
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not up to the others in the series

Too slow to bother reading. I do not recommend this at all. Just finished the mote in gods eye and its sequel. My second attempt to read it.
Agent Belthil
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really well done. It offered me a fresh take on what could all go wrong, even how humans would treat such a discovery. Very well done. I definitely recommend this series!
Annie Minsterley
I expected pulp fiction, and got a really pleasant surprise. This is a book for real readers - for people who like to get lost in a fictional world, not just rocket from one plot point to the next. It starts off with four stories, in four locations, and then about halfway through they all come together. I think that works really well, because space travel takes TIME. The characters are beautifully crafted. The author doesn't ever tell you: "dear reader: so-and-so thinks this; so-and-so thinks th ...more
Frayedknotarts
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Astounding the number of negative or minimal reviewers who blithely stated something to the effect that if they'd read the "preceeding 'Outies' books" they might have enjoyed this one better. One can only wonder at the educational system that inflicts such cretins on the general populance and which allows them to review books so far above their level of comprehension.~~~ Expect an easy to read "sci-fi" space opera and you will be disappointed. Just as Dr. Pournelle's father and Mr. Niven created ...more
Jeff Miller
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a Sequel to to the Mote in God's Eye and the Gripping hand universe. More succinctly it is a sequel to the Gripping Hand by done by Jerry Pournelle's daughter.

The first half of the book sets up a lot of things and to me seem to be disjointed and hard to follow. There were some characters from the previous novels and and continuation of the situation as it stood in the second novel. Maybe I wasn't as attentive as I could be, but the first half was hard to follow for me in that there were
Stuart Dean
A continuation of "The Mote in God's Eye" series written by Jerry Pournelle's daughter, an archeologist sometimes seen on Nat Geo. You'll need to have read the first two books to know the significance of the characters in this one. A fringe world near the coal sac is up for membership in the galactic government, either as an independent entity or as a subservient colony. The locals have a complex political structure with several competing factions, but unknown to the one's in real power the peop ...more
Allan
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
It'd been years since I'd read the preceeding novels in this series so it took a while to get back into the story but I'm glad I did as this is a refreshing apin-off/continuation of the original tales.

The story is based on a world called New Utah, which has applied for membership of the Second Empire of Man. Unfortunately, there are some who'd rather that didn't happen and some that didn't even know it existed. Mixed into this is the fact that a goodly number of the local settlers are followers
Ben Shelef
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
This is an independent book in the Mote universe. Barely any commonality in characters, but the timeline is shared.

The author is the daughter of one of the original authors. The cover (at least my edition's) kinda obfuscates that fact, as their names both start with J.

The basic premise is actually very good, there are some good new Motie concepts, but the writing more than makes up for it... It has none of the "tightness" of the two Mote books, too many attempts to details technology that should
Stephen
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps it just paled in comparison to The Mote in God's Eye or maybe after The Mote in God's Eye and it's sequels, that timeline has lost some of the allure it once has but this effort by Jerry Pournelle's daughter never really grabbed my interest. Characters fascinating in other books seemed wooden and lifeless and while the author's background as an anthropologist informs her writing nicely nothing much seems to be happening, particularly early in the book. Outies is like quite a bit of Niven ...more
Teresa Carrigan
This is the 3rd book in the "Mote in God's Eye" series, but by a different author. Definitely not nearly as good as Mote in God's Eye (which was superb). The first half of the book jumps point of view characters far too frequently, and among far too many different characters - it's hard to even keep straight which planet a given scene is set on. It's hard to care about characters when the point of view jumps that quickly between them.

With that said, those who loved Mote in God's Eye will want to
Charl
Sep 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: y2016
I quit. I made it to chapter 10, the teasing of an occasional Motie keeping me going. But I want spaceships, Moties, danger, interesting science ideas, all of that.

I couldn't care less about Mormon vs. Mormon rivalry, about violence between church schisms in the streets, or, frankly, about what happened to Bury's wealth after his death.

I want science in my science fiction, not sociology. And I was very disappointed when I realized "J.E.Pournelle" wasn't Jerry Pournelle. When you have to pull tri
Rob Roy
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed the first two Motie books by Jerry Pournelle. This, the third, is by his daughter. I am afraid it doesn't measure up. The complexities of the timeline, various religions, and imperial politics muddle the story. The book contains the timeline, and several chapters explaining the religions etc., but one does not want to study to be able to read a story. That all said, the story is a good one.
Joshua
Feb 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give negative stars I would. What a TERRIBLE book. Shame on the editor... this book made almost no sense. I got the "big picture" but the author needs to literally re-write the entire thing. The author is Jennifer Pournelle, not Jerry. And she needs a big dose of reality - her writing skills suck. SUCK. As in horrible. Too many characters, not enough background on almost everything, use of never-heard-before terminology, and on and on. Please don't read this book, it is horrid.
Dave Rankin
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Not your father's Motie novel but well worth the read. The author is an academic who does archaeology and anthropology throughout the Middle East and in a prior life worked in military intelligence. It shows and the novel is the better for it. A bit hard to get into but stick with it. Probably a good idea to read the appendices first.
James
Apr 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book just doesn't work. It is badly written and badly edited. It is by the daughter of the original author of Mote in God's Eye and just doesn't cut it. I read it on my Kindle and I think it is an ebook only release. I suspect the publisher has not really invested any effort in this one. The big picture and how it links back to the original book is there, but the execution is horrible.
Lukas R
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: moties
Wonderful ideas with a chaotic execution that makes it hard to read. Too many stories that get abandoned for too long... this could have been much better. Anyway, if you started to care about the Motieverse you will read it, for better or for worse.
Art
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read by Jerry Pournelle's daughter in the vein of the Moties. Maybe a little more political than Jerry and Larry Niven's books. Recommended for those Motie junkies.

- Rob read it. I bought the eBook.
Larry
Jul 17, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle
I just found this work by JENNIFER Pournelle, daughter of the co-author (with Larry Niven) of The Mode in God's Eye and its sequel The Gripping Hand. I look forward to seeing her view of this classic mythos.

• The Betrayers (Matt Helm, #10)
  • The Gripping Hand (Moties, #2)
  • Future History (Moties, #0.5)
  • Dalí's Mustache
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • The Weeping Empress
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Parachutes & Kisses
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • Piece of Cake
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
Dr. J.R. Pournelle is an archaeologist and anthropologist best known for reconstructing landscapes surrounding ancient cities. A Research Fellow at the University of South Carolina’s School of The Environment, and past Mesopotamian Fellow of the American School of Oriental Research, her work in Turkey, Iraq, and the Caucasus has been featured in Science Magazine, the New York Times; on The Discove ...more

Moties (4 books)
  • Future History (Moties, #0.5)
  • The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1)
  • The Gripping Hand (Moties, #2)