Start by marking “Ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)

Ruthless.com

(Tom Clancy's Power Plays #2)

Encryption technology keeps the codes for the world's security and communication systems top secret. Deregulating this state-of-the-art technology for export could put a back-door key in the pockets of spies and terrorists around the world. So when American businessman Roger Gordian refuses to put his sophisticated encryption program on the market, he finds his company the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published November 1st 1998 by Berkley

Matt
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
The new millennium started with a new kind of terrorism and now a new kind of security threat not only endangers national security but also corporations. ruthless.com, the second book in Tom Clancy’s Power Plays, written by Jerome Preisler finds Roger Gordian’s UpLink International under pressure of a hostile takeover from a longtime rival while half a world away his security team stumbles onto evidence of a union of drug dealers, corrupt politicians, and Gordian’s own rival to shock the world.

M
Jenna
Ruthless indeed...... a business expansion with dirty tricks, deceit, and merciless games played by Marcus Caine. An encryption technology system that keeps the world record top security secret code.

When Roger Gordian find out that his company was an object of a corporate take over. He must find a way to bring down the gang of pirates, spies, drug lords, politacal extremists and the terrorist around the world. It's a universal marketplace where greediness is not good........but it's great.
Sander
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, even better than the first one in the Power Plays series in my opinion. The book was well-written, had a lot of great action scenes, and a very suspenseful plot.

What I particularly enjoyed about the book was the sheer amount of detail in regard to the various topics the book covered. From specific weaponry, thought-provoking business strategies, and of course technology, made the book very interesting to read. The story kept you on your toes by jumping from scenario to sce
Leonard
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An exciting novel. Lots of action in the ending and it lets us peek into a lot of computer cyberspace intrigue. The intellectual talk using computerese was way over my head and this is over 10 years ago technology!! I enjoyed it.
Michael
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It had been a while since I had struggled thru a Clancy book. But with this book, the systematic method of settings and different themes in this book feed on each other well and keep the attention and focus growing to the end. It was a joy to read this well written novel.
Debbie
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I felt there was something missing from the narrative of this book
Chad Layon
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a very good timeline
Dan
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
For my first Clancy book I am disappointed and reluctant to pick up the others I have on hand
Jane J. Janas, Ph.D.
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Did not (at all) enjoy this book. The violence was too much for me! It was obvious that Tom Clancy had not written this book.
Brian
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Peter
Aug 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
International plots, violence, cut-throat business tactics and heavy bribery fill this book that follows the employees of two competing companies.

This book was terribly written, had a terrible plot and was just generally not worth reading. It did not seem like a book Tom Clancy would have put his name on. The worst part was that the plot was not explained in the beginning; the reader was supposed to piece it together as they went along, but then it was never adequately explained until the end. I
J
May 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

What I learned from this book -- I don't like when Clancy franchises out his writing. Or maybe he's getting stale. Or maybe my tastes have changed.

Not much memorable at this point -- shortly after reading it, I forgot most of the plot.

Interesting that a key character would die fairly early on - Max Blackburn.

Lots of formulaic characters and plot developments. Stupid dialogue lines like, "Stop, you bitch!"

Plot centers on a technology company, owned by Roger Gordian, that U.S.
Joe White
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The book jacket indicates encryption technology and lead me to believe that this would be a technical thriller of networks and data collection.

Not so. This is just a regular spy novel with tradecraft operations, body counts, shootouts, Indonesian gangs, and some thrill in timing of a large forces operations raid. Naturally an advanced US sub is used as a backdrop very remotely tied to the story as is the President. Since that wasn't what I was looking for this was a huge letdown, and I could eas
Preston
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not a horrible novel, again I feel like my opinion of the book is buoyed by the fact that I got it from a library for free so I am more inclined to not be upset from the quality I would expect from a purchased novel. My favorite aspect of the novel was the setting in Singapore, which I could relate to through my time there while on deployment.
Bob
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
More of Tom Clancy's Power Play yarns. Rival corporations battle for control, one of them is being backed by an Asian group with help of Asian gangs which means murders attacks on the rivals buildings and the possible attack on a US submarine, the local for a meeting of the President and Asian leaders.
Cess Que
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I've read Tom Clancy books since I was a kid. All heavy ofcourse. Ruthless is not my favorite of his books but it's still pretty good. Story is a little dragging but maybe with the right pacing it can be quite the thriller. Typical corporate espionage that attempts to take down a high-tech company with a very clever plot.
Dan
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it

Very confusing to follow. The Story had no continuous plot. It was jumping from country to country and subplot to subplot across each chapter. I like to relax when reading a novel not take notes to keep track of characters.
Ed
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, thriller, crime
#2 in the Tom Clancy's Power Plays series.

Power Plays thriller - Roger Gordian tries to protect his industrial empire from hostile takeover, assault on his facilities, murder of his employees and sabotage of his plane; oh, there's also a kidnap plot against the President.
David H.
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
I have read several Tom Clancy books, but this was my least favorite of the bunch. A special Lady gave me this book for Christmas 1998. For some strange reason, it took me over ten years to read it. The inside cover is inscribled to me, so I will never part with it.
Greer Andjanetta
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
A slow, draggy story, much duller than most TC books. Corporate espionage and an apparent takeover attempt of a high-tech company that is not fully explained until the end. Far from Clancy's best.
Peter
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
(estimated date)

(don't remember anything about the book, but it was probably OK)

Paperback - gave it away.
David
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre read with a weakly executed plot.
Lianne
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Good engaging writing. Weak plot. Nice when it cones to the details but the bigger picture is poorly portrayed.
Bob
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: clancy, on-my-shelves
slow, couldn't keep my interest, O.K. ending
Deb
Aug 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: abbandonati, english
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Marie Wreath
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Meh...
Stephen Heverin
Ruthless.com: Power Plays 02 by Series Created By Tom Clancy And Martin Greenberg (1998)
John
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
My first Tom Clancy and I was a little disappointed. I expected a bit more, based on reputation.
John Cleveland
OK, but not one on his best. Entertaining
Sherry Roit
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I had to try way too hard to stay interested in this, and it's not even a long book. It didn't grab me. Got it for free, and didn't realize it wasn't actually written by Clancy.
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 48 - Ruthless.com 5 26 May 23, 2016 09:49AM

• Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)
  • Virtual Vandals (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #1)
  • Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2)
  • Private Lives (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #9)
Jerome Preisler is a prolific author who has written over thirty books, including all eight novels in the #1 New York Times best-selling TOM CLANCY'S POWER PLAYS series, and more recently the narrative nonfictions ALL HANDS DOWN, CODE NAME CAESAR and DANIEL'S MUSIC. He is the author of the recently re-booted NET FORCE series, based on the New York Times bestselling series co-created by Tom Clancy. ...more

Tom Clancy's Power Plays (8 books)
  • Politika (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #1)
  • Shadow Watch (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #3)
  • Bio-Strike (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #4)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • Cutting Edge (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #6)
  • Zero Hour (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #7)
  • Wild Card (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #8)