Start by marking “This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases” as Want to Read:
This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases

This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases

This is Service Design Thinking introduces an inter-disciplinary approach to designing services. Service Design is a bit of a buzzword these days and has gained a lot of interest from various fields. This book, assembled to describe and illustrate the emerging field of service design, was brought together using exactly the same co-creative and user-centred approaches you ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by BIS Publishers (first published December 2nd 2010)

Start your review of This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
Henri Hämäläinen
Jan 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Service Design has been an interesting topic for me for a some time. Finally I wanted to get more understanding about it and its basic. That's the reason I got my hands on a book that was saying to be "the book" for service design -This is Service Design Thinking by Marc Stickdorn and Jakob Schneider.

I was super excited to start reading about the wonderful world of service design. I read and read and read and became really bored. First hundred pages of the book the authors are trying to say WE
Cristian
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: innovation
I heard about service design back in Italy. I actually didn't understand what it meant. For me, it was marketing. It was design thinking. It was "smoke". However, I kept this book under the radar for later reading. It took a week to finish this book, according to several websites, one of the fundamental documents on service Design.
Now the definition is clearer and more real in my head.
The book is simple and goes straight to the point:
- Introduction and Context
- Toolbox (the most interesting
Ahmad hosseini
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: web
This is a textbook.

What is service design?
Service design is an interdisciplinary approach that combines different methods and tools form various disciplines. It is a new way of thinking as opposed to a new stand-alone academic discipline.
The approach of service design refers to the process of designing rather than to its outcome. The outcome of a service design process can have various forms: rather abstract organizational structures, operation process, service experiences and even concrete
Nick Mastenbroek
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clear and nicely formatted 'handbook' on service design. Expect no major breakthroughs or new insights, but if you're looking for a quick understanding or brushup on what Serice Design Thinking is, this is your book.
Marielle De Geest
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Idk just kept going on about service design in the meta sense way too much. Like we get it. Service design is important and new(ish). I liked the last essay but all of the icons and annotation systems felt unnecessary and distracting which is a little bit *alanis morissette voice* ironic.
Jurgen Appelo
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: design-thinking
Good stuff that everyone responsible for product development should at least be aware of. One star deducted for the horrible Kindle adaptation.
Steffan
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
This is a broad stroke style book aimed at being a reference toolkit rather than a front to back read. An essential for awareness, but if youre looking for deep dives and case studies, look elsewhere. Practitioners can probably skip through most of it and focus on filling gaps in their knowledge. Also, I wish the authors had done a better job of pointing readers to further reading and resources in each short chapter. It would have made the book more useable. Still a decent reference and it's ...more
Robin Liendeborg
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best book out there in service design. Great concept and many examples. Actually, I have used it in business, showed chapters for clients, let them read and understand why its important to to field studies, user research and so on. It works.
Peter
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Petr Augustin
Dec 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't find anything useful in this book.
Most of the intro is just a lot of SJW ideology, written into service/product/marketing design. Explaining how this magical inclusive design process will change the world into a utopia. As most of the actual methodology we now use as service designers comes from much richer etnography, psychology and human factors practice, which were actually well grounded, I seriously doubt that another workshop and post it session is going to stop climate change.
Jen Serdetchnaia
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid foundation. Covers service design from a variety of perspectives, including that it's a technique difficult to force into a single process. Stickdorn then offers a structured process, and a toolbox of methods. He then ties it all together by showing how this structured/unstructured process and methods were applied in real-life cases. I especially liked that he did not advocate for a dogmatic approach, and showed how service design tools and processes can be made flexible for imperfect ...more
Kelly Jones
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I read this book for a grad course I'm in, and it was the most difficult thing to get through. The layout was distracting and the amount of typos throughout (extra words, missing words, misspelled words) just made my writer/editor heart scream out.

The strong point of the book is that it provides real-world examples of Service Design thinking in action. Unfortunately, this didn't provide enough information or context for me to see why such projects should be pushed for. Stuff sounded fancy, but
Ardavan Mir
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A general overview of service design with a little bit of history. My only problem with these types of books are that because of scattered and brief introductions of concepts and theories, they become harder to learn any applicable knowledge from them. Of course, lack of cohesive story helps you disengage easily.

But, this book is a good catalogue of concepts, models and the mainstream discourse in SDT community.
Kylie Upton
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Everyone recommended this book to me for service design, however, it felt more like a beginners guide to service design with too much emphasis on how amazing service design is. This book seems targeted at selling service design to users, however, why would anyone read a 300+ page book if they weren't already a little sold. I would not recommend this book. I think that stating it as a guide to service design is vastly underselling the field of service design.
Arturo Hernández
This book is a must-read for any area of expertise inside a company (Operations, Marketing, Product, Servicing...). It explains the service design methodology and showcases an extensive library of tools and frameworks to frame problems and thus create useful solutions in the form of products, services or processes. It’s visually coded so you can just answer your question or take a deep dive into various elements of design ...more
Jakub
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the book in the kindle version and while the book might have been desifned for the paper quite well, for kindle the design didn't work at all.

As for the content, I liked the presentation of the tools and the use cases from real world.

I didn't like the way the book was written. For my taste there was too much repetition.

Anyway, if you don't know what the hell is service design then this book provides quite good overview focused on the ways to apply it in real world.
Sabine Schmidt
If you are looking for a book that gives you an overview of what service design thinking is and what types there are to conduct it this book helps. It offers types, examples without taking you by hand how to do it. It offers examples to get an idea how it can help you.

I also bought the workbook so am curious about the content of that book.
Gabriel Werlich
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Take it seriously when the book says it's the basics, tools and cases. Language is simple, understandable. It would be most beneficial if the tools were more deeply described, it's a good panaroma thought.
Jo
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably a must-read essential for getting yourself familiar with the topic and understanding the concept and the context of design thinking. It will make you confident about the topic and ready to move to deeper understanding and application of DT.
Leon
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a must read for anyone interested in service design thinking.

But reading it is a bit like a pilgrimage. It feels like climbing a mountain. In many ways it is a hard book to read, primarily because it is trying to be new in the way it presents the information.
Tabitha Flatt
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical content

Context, methods, and case studies. What you need in a service design book to guide productive work and real impact.
Tara
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book is good for a beginner to peruse but I found that it wasn't particularly helpful to me.
Sertac
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should be considered as one of the classics for this and related fields/methodologies. A must have one.
Mimi Webb
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book on learning about service design thinking and how to implement this strategy into organisations.
roshanak haghighi
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's the best book about service design, although this is a basic book on service design.
Felipe Delphorno
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
If you don't have a clue what service design is. It's a fair book. Otherwise, it's quite old nowadays.
Eetu Kirsi
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would say this is a good introduction to Service Design Thinking. Though, as the field is evolving, this book is loosing it's relevance. New edition would serve the purpose.
Hamilton Hernandez
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
For beginners in Service design: Good book.
It covers the basics, a basic general process (one of many out there), tools (also some of many out there), and cases showing how the service design process was followed and what tools where used and how.
Most of the tools have just the basic description of their intent and how they should be used. I believe complementary information has to be found somewhere else to start using these tools for service design properly.

For experienced in the subject: OK
Glenn Burnside
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Compelling start, but I was looking for more reference material on how to get started with service design processes and approaches. This book felt like a show-and-tell from really qualified people, talking about what they do all day, but wasn't really instructional. I finished it and thought, "Well, I guess what I do next is go find some more references to read and figure out what to do next." Maybe their follow-on book will be more hands-on?
Juliana
This is Service Design Thinking was designed to be a much needed textbook on the new interdisciplinary approach to designing services. If you work at all in in high tech you would be well served by reading this book--but service design touches almost any business.

The content is good--I especially enjoyed the middle sections that describe a number of methodologies for designing services. I've worked with a few myself including personas, idea generation (SWOT and mindmapping), agile development,
« previous 1 3 next »
FULL Creative Lib...: This is Service Design Thinking 2 8 Mar 12, 2014 12:47PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine book records 3 16 Aug 15, 2013 03:26PM

• Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Business Model Generation
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
“Designers possess more than simply an ability to style products; they are practitioners of an applied process of creative skills: identifying problems, researching, analysing, evaluating, synthesising and then conceptualising, testing and communicating solutions.” 1 likes
“In order to design for understanding, we need to understand design.” — Erik Spiekermann, graphic designer When” 1 likes