Start by marking “The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting” as Want to Read:
The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting

The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Most parents do a pretty good job of raising kids, says psychologist Laurence Steinberg, but truly effective parenting means not just relying on natural instincts but also on knowing what works and why. In The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting, Dr. Steinberg distills decades of research into a parenting book that explains the fundamentals of raising happy, healthy chi ...more
Published May 9th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting

Brandon McDaniel
This book comes highly recommended by a distinguished faculty member at Brigham Young University. He said that if there were one parenting book that he would recommend out of all of them out there it would be this one.
Hannah
I really enjoyed this book. There was so much good information in here. I ended up highlighting a lot of the book. It pertains various ages of kids too. Some of my favorite things I read in the book were...

-What you do matters...tell yourself this every day.
-You are the most important role model for your child...they watch their parents more closely than anyone else. This is especially true prior to adolescence.
-Children learn more by observing their parents than they do by listening to their
sleeps9hours
Great little book! A friend assigns it in her developmental psychology class. Easy and entertaining explanations of the consistent research findings about successful parenting. Presented in terms of principles, not specific practices. I disagreed with some of the chapter on discipline, as I think there is more research to be done. I love Alfie Kohn’s work on unconditional parenting.

The ten basic principles:
1. What you do matters
2. You cannot be too loving
3. Be involved in your child’s life
4. Ad
Kristen
This was a really good book. My only complaint was that there were no references cited. The author often just said "Numerous studies have indicated..." I always like to delve a little deeper into things. A lot of what was written in this book was common sense, but it was still a good reminder. My favorite part is on page 156 when it talks about the five elements of an effective punishment: 1. Identify what the child did wrong 2. Describe the impact of the misbehavior 3. Suggest an alternative be ...more
Megan
Best parenting book I have read.

He goes through 10 principles, based on parenting research:
7. Be Consistent
8. Avoid Harsh Discipline
9. Explain Your Rules and Decisions
10. Treat Your Child With Respect

This is a very straightforward, concrete approach to parenting. There are examples -- in fact, there
Shalyce
While I didn't agree 100% with every point Steinberg makes, overall it is a great guideline to parenting. A lot of the information presented most parents know, but a lot of good reminders, and a good bullet point in the 10 principles of where parenting efforts should be placed.
Rashelle
I thought it was well written, easy to read, and helpful.
Julie
I had to read this for a Parenting class. Self-help books rarely work for me but this one is readable and full of good, practical advice. I agreed with the parenting strategies and principles and it was far less painful to read than the dozens and dozens of articles and case studies I had to read this semester.
Jenny Stringham
It was an all around great book on parenting, in fact probably the best one I've ever read. Because it's giving examples of each age group I just skipped over the parts about toddlers and preschoolers or read it and thought "I came to the exact same conclusion" :) Other parts were a great reminders and lastly there were some super ideas that will help me with this teenager stage we're into now.
Christie
I LOVED this book. If you're looking for very specific advice, this may not be the parenting book for you. However, I love that the books has principles instead of parenting rules. So much of this almost seems like common sense and yet no parent follows this principles perfectly. This is definitely a book to read and reread at each stage of childhood.
Lori
This book is great in that it covers the very basic principles of good parenting. It isn't full of specific do's and don't (although there are some) but really provides an overall healthy perspective to parenting and how to become better. We used this as a text book for my parenting class and I enjoyed it. Very easy and quick read.
Marilee
Great princinples and explainations for why they work. Each topic has examples for how you can implement them for each stage of parenting (young children, adolescence, or teenager). My copy is completely marked up with notes for me to reread when I need help throughout my parenting struggles.
Amy
Every parent or person interacting with children MUST READ. Give practical, clear, concise advice based in true research. The examples and advice are both easy to understand and flexible to accommodate different children temperaments and family structure. It is a must read!
Esther
I had to read this book for class and initially was not excitied to read another parenting book. (I have read a lot through the years because of my work with kids and parents). I really liked the simple, yet meaningful and applicable principles for parenting.
Sara
I think we all need a little help and guidance now and then about how to take care of our kids. This author's ideas were clear and helpful, made sense and made me feel like I could really become a better parent. I'd definitely recommend it.
Sherri
A very good parenting book. Good solid information that is based on research. The reasoning behind the suggestions are given and good examples of each principle are also included. This is a book that every parent should read (more than once).
Kirsten
Loving the ideas in this book so far....

Update: Great book! Great ideas that helped me think of adaptations of these ideas for my own parenting.
Jaimit Doshi
outstanding book on parenting. a must read for all parents. superior common sense approach to parenting issues. A bible of sorts
Erin
A lot of this was common sense, but I liked that he gave the reasons behind doing certain things.
Al Kutil
Not rated because I'm not a parent. Curiosity about how I grew up, but didn't finish.
Shauna
I think this has some excellent insights and great reminders.
Lizanell
Lizanell marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jordyn Ward
Jordyn Ward marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Gabriella
Gabriella is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Apr 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Toddlers and Preschoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood, 6 Months to Five Years
  • Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids
  • Growing Up Again: Parenting Ourselves, Parenting Our Children
  • 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior
  • Super Cowboy Rides
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Why Do They Act That Way?: A Survival Guide to the Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • A Child is Born
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Momfidence!: An Oreo Never Killed Anybody and Other Secrets of Happier Parenting
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Parenting
Age of Opportunity: Lessons from the New Science of Adolescence Adolescence Beyond the Classroom You and Your Adolescent, New and Revised edition: The Essential Guide for Ages 10-25 Development: Infancy Through Adolescence