Start by marking “The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting” as Want to Read:
The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting

The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Most parents do a pretty good job of raising kids, says psychologist Laurence Steinberg, but truly effective parenting means not just relying on natural instincts but also on knowing what works and why. In The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting, Dr. Steinberg distills decades of research into a parenting book that explains the fundamentals of raising happy, healthy chi ...more
Published May 9th 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting

Brandon McDaniel
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book comes highly recommended by a distinguished faculty member at Brigham Young University. He said that if there were one parenting book that he would recommend out of all of them out there it would be this one.
Hannah
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. There was so much good information in here. I ended up highlighting a lot of the book. It pertains various ages of kids too. Some of my favorite things I read in the book were...

-What you do matters...tell yourself this every day.
-You are the most important role model for your child...they watch their parents more closely than anyone else. This is especially true prior to adolescence.
-Children learn more by observing their parents than they do by listening to their
sleeps9hours
Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Great little book! A friend assigns it in her developmental psychology class. Easy and entertaining explanations of the consistent research findings about successful parenting. Presented in terms of principles, not specific practices. I disagreed with some of the chapter on discipline, as I think there is more research to be done. I love Alfie Kohn’s work on unconditional parenting.

The ten basic principles:
1. What you do matters
2. You cannot be too loving
3. Be involved in your child’s life
4. Ad
Kristen
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. My only complaint was that there were no references cited. The author often just said "Numerous studies have indicated..." I always like to delve a little deeper into things. A lot of what was written in this book was common sense, but it was still a good reminder. My favorite part is on page 156 when it talks about the five elements of an effective punishment: 1. Identify what the child did wrong 2. Describe the impact of the misbehavior 3. Suggest an alternative be ...more
Megan
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best parenting book I have read.

He goes through 10 principles, based on parenting research:
7. Be Consistent
8. Avoid Harsh Discipline
9. Explain Your Rules and Decisions
10. Treat Your Child With Respect

This is a very straightforward, concrete approach to parenting. There are examples -- in fact, there
Monica Evans
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this for a Parenting class in college at BYU-Idaho. I agreed with most of the principles, but I disliked the author's style of writing / voice. His advice was so obvious that it felt slightly condescending. I distinctly remember a few instances where I thought "no duh" after a paragraph he wrote as if it was some new, interesting information. I haven't read very many books in the self-help category like this one, so maybe this is how all self-help books are. Not a bad book, but I wouldn't ...more
Jenny Stringham
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was an all around great book on parenting, in fact probably the best one I've ever read. Because it's giving examples of each age group I just skipped over the parts about toddlers and preschoolers or read it and thought "I came to the exact same conclusion" :) Other parts were a great reminders and lastly there were some super ideas that will help me with this teenager stage we're into now.
Julie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I had to read this for a Parenting class. Self-help books rarely work for me but this one is readable and full of good, practical advice. I agreed with the parenting strategies and principles and it was far less painful to read than the dozens and dozens of articles and case studies I had to read this semester.
Lori
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
This book is great in that it covers the very basic principles of good parenting. It isn't full of specific do's and don't (although there are some) but really provides an overall healthy perspective to parenting and how to become better. We used this as a text book for my parenting class and I enjoyed it. Very easy and quick read.
Christie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. If you're looking for very specific advice, this may not be the parenting book for you. However, I love that the books has principles instead of parenting rules. So much of this almost seems like common sense and yet no parent follows this principles perfectly. This is definitely a book to read and reread at each stage of childhood.
Marilee
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great princinples and explainations for why they work. Each topic has examples for how you can implement them for each stage of parenting (young children, adolescence, or teenager). My copy is completely marked up with notes for me to reread when I need help throughout my parenting struggles.
Shalyce
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, parenting
While I didn't agree 100% with every point Steinberg makes, overall it is a great guideline to parenting. A lot of the information presented most parents know, but a lot of good reminders, and a good bullet point in the 10 principles of where parenting efforts should be placed.
Amy
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every parent or person interacting with children MUST READ. Give practical, clear, concise advice based in true research. The examples and advice are both easy to understand and flexible to accommodate different children temperaments and family structure. It is a must read!
Sherri
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very good parenting book. Good solid information that is based on research. The reasoning behind the suggestions are given and good examples of each principle are also included. This is a book that every parent should read (more than once).
Connie Shirley
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. Here's why:
1. Easy to read and apply
2. Basic principles that aren't too deep to implement
3. Short chapters (important in a self-help)
4. These principles work

This is a book that I need to read on the regular, it's that good.
Esther
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I had to read this book for class and initially was not excitied to read another parenting book. (I have read a lot through the years because of my work with kids and parents). I really liked the simple, yet meaningful and applicable principles for parenting.
Sara
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think we all need a little help and guidance now and then about how to take care of our kids. This author's ideas were clear and helpful, made sense and made me feel like I could really become a better parent. I'd definitely recommend it.
Shauna
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I think this has some excellent insights and great reminders.
Alice
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on parenting! Read while taking a parenting class through BYUI.
Erin
A lot of this was common sense, but I liked that he gave the reasons behind doing certain things.
Rashelle
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought it was well written, easy to read, and helpful.
Jaimit Doshi
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
outstanding book on parenting. a must read for all parents. superior common sense approach to parenting issues. A bible of sorts
Nathan
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Valuable information to apply as a parent.
Jojo John
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I got many good points regarding parenting while reading this book.
Kirsten
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving the ideas in this book so far....

Update: Great book! Great ideas that helped me think of adaptations of these ideas for my own parenting.
Adam
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood
  • Growing Up Again: Parenting Ourselves, Parenting Our Children
  • Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids
  • 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior
  • Super Cowboy Rides
  • Raising Resilient Children : Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • The Secret of Parenting: How to Be in Charge of Today's Kids--from Toddlers to Preteens--Without Threats or Punishment
  • Momfidence!: An Oreo Never Killed Anybody and Other Secrets of Happier Parenting
  • Confident Parenting
  • A Child is Born
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure & Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
Laurence Steinberg is Professor of Psychology at Temple University. He is
Author of numerous books and regularly writes about education issues in
The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
More about Laurence Steinberg...