Start by marking “Practical Wisdom: The Right Way To Do the Right Thing” as Want to Read:
Practical Wisdom: The Right Way To Do the Right Thing

Practical Wisdom: The Right Way To Do the Right Thing

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  472 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
A reasoned yet urgent call to embrace and protect the essential, practical human quality that has been drummed out of our lives: wisdom.

It's in our nature to want to succeed. It's also human nature to want to do right. But we've lost how to balance the two. How do we get it back?

Practical Wisdom can help. "Practical wisdom" is the essential human quality that combines
Published December 30th 2010 by Riverhead Books (first published December 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Wisdom

Joshua Buhs
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: b12, non-fiction
They want to restore faith in American institutions--healthcare, law, banking--without instaling more regulations or offering incentives, both of which are too blunt, they say. There answer is to turn to Aristotle's sense of practical wisdom, phronesis. Phronesis is a product of experience and used to reach pragmatic ends. Examples include judges making clever sentences, doctors diagnosing and curing ills, etc. They argue that rulebound institutions prevent this kind of entrepreneurial experimen ...more
Kater Cheek
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
This pop science book differs from most of its kind in that it relies heavily on the wisdom of the ancient Greeks, specifically Aristotle. Basically, it's a treatise on (like the subtitle says) how to do the right thing in the right way--how to be wise.

Wisdom is one of those things where you don't even realize how much you lack until you're old enough to be a little wise. Who wouldn't want to read a book that helped them make the right decisions? I did. This is exactly the kind of book I like to
Chris
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book fed my soul.

It argues that we need to have more empathy, freedom to rely on personal judgment, and wisdom of experience in our daily interactions and in our larger institutional structures, when instead we are bound by unbending rules and demoralizing incentives that erode any sense of humanness—concern for others or the greater good—in our interactions. Indeed, they argue that we are weaving an ever tightening net of rules and incentives around ourselves that is draining what
Arnav Shah
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've always felt that much of the world lacks humanity because we put strict rules in front of using our heads. It appears Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe feel the same way and dive deep into the way our institutions have become structured and dehumanized. They're thorough in their examples and cover the justice system, the healthcare system, the banking industry, and the educational system. Their explanations include a walk through neuroscience and philosophy alike. I experienced the audioboo ...more
Jud Barry
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I know I shouldn’t purloin dust-cover blurbs for a book review. Of course they exist to puff the book: “irresistible book, one that every politician, CEO, parent, and citizen in America should read,” “pioneering work,” “a rare and rewarding book,” “must-read new treasure trove.”

But there, I did it. Those phrases come from the blurbs on the back of “Practical Wisdom: The Right Way to Do the Right Thing.”

Which, I know: the title sounds a little self-helpisch, doesn’t it? It’s a shame, that. As muc
Fred Zimny
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A well written analysis why we have to be aware of the consequences of using rules and rewards. One might consider it as a reasoned call to break down the broken system that makes professional life ineffective and often uninspiring. Instead – Schwartz proposes – we have to embrace the essential and practical human quality that can be developed in our lives: Wisdom.

>Some of the issues the authors address in the book are a result of framing. Or as often stated in this blog, constructing a conte
Nirmal Kartha
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Because I needed the practical wisdom to prevent the dog from biting my ear off.

How you enjoy the book is a measure of your practical wisdom as well - do you rather want to go through the pages like a Bolt of lightning and add one more to your finished shelf? Or do you want to immerse yourself in the book and be changed by it? The book doesn't really incite any major a-ha moments but it does have its beautiful takeaways. I know that I needn't waste my time defining what 'good' is (which is impo
Greg Linster
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In Practical Wisdom Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe explore the Aristotelian notion of practical wisdom (phronesis). The book touches on some philosophy, but in a very rudimentary sense. Essentially, the book illuminates the problems that come with removing practical wisdom from several of our important institutions. Schwartz and Sharpe argue that we live in a rule and incentive obsessed culture that has crowded out practical wisdom.

In the end, they argue that Aristotle was right: to flourish,
Zach Olsen
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great explanation on how incentives and rules are crowding out wisdom and how wisdom is developed. This book goes beyond the book How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer and explains how we decide to do the right thing.
Renuka Soll
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't love the book. It was full of anecdotes and no real research. He had some interesting ideas but didn't really go into depth. The main idea is to use "judgment;" don't just follow the rules and ignore the subtleties of individual situations.
Science For The People
Featured on Skeptically Speaking show #114 on May 29, 2011, during an interview with authors Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe. http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episode...
James
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Schwartz and Sharpe reach back to an ancient understanding of wisdom, that of Aristotle, to build a case that wisdom is experiential. It is acquired through practice and with the right balance of rules and learning through experience and doing.
They first build a case of what they believe wisdom to be, describing cases where judgement and experience, not rules and conscious rationalization, drive decision making. They then describe some of the psychological functions that occur in our thinking a
yamiyoghurt
A thematic dissection of what is wrong with the institutions of today.

Interesting, but somewhat vacuous. Nicomachean Ethics is a somewhat more comprehensive guide to living a good life. What this book does is set it in the modern context and elaborate on how modern institutions divorced people from meaning in life.

I find it a little strange to isolate out practical wisdom as a topic, without elaborating much on arete and eudaimonia.
Daniel
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Applies to modern institutions Aristotle's insight that wisdom is tied to each particular decision/problem and is amassed through experience. Saying that bureaucratic and organisational structures based around rules and incentives undermine our ability to apply this practical wisdom, along with the meaning we derive from doing so.

Many of the examples are over used in pop-science. The Israeli childcare late fees case study was obvious.
Tom
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book covers, in a less academic, but very appealing way, the same territory that Stephen Toulmin does in Return to Reason. In its extensive examples of practical wisdom in law, medicine, teaching and financial services, it makes the concepts very accessible.

Phronesis =Prudence=practical wisdom. This virtue is rooted in how we know what the right choice or decision is in a particular situation. Wisdom is not a universal, as Plato believed, but lies in the context of particular circumstances.
Kristy Clear
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Excellent take always but could have been edited quite a bit more. I really enjoyed discussing the concepts in relation to higher edu.
Alison
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
A good beginning that peters out to a disappointing ending

Schwartz and Sharpe take Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics as their starting point, suggesting that better application of the principles in it would make institutions work better and restore trust in those institutions, as well as making the people who form those institutions better and more fulfilled.

The first section is strong, and unpicks some of Aristotle's ideas around wisdom using a couple of case studies to illustrate these. Their
Troy Blackford
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is an examination of the idea that it is increasingly difficult in many occupations to make your own judgment about what is the best way to handle things, often to the detriment of the job being done. Medical jobs, teaching, judicial decisions, and the legal trade are some of the focuses. This also takes a broader look about what it means to be 'practically wise,' a phrase which I had to try very hard to stop my brain from parsing as 'quite nearly wise,' even towards the end of the boo ...more
M
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
after reading, the first thought was "so what?"

it's a huge disappointment because ch1 gave such a good impression.

this book is saying "let's have the practical wisdom back and we're going to make a better society!" with disappointing supplies of reasons and evidence.

authors make practical wisdom sound like some sort of panacea, but doesn't really provide a good picture of itself. as far as i understand, it's the wisdom one learns from trial and error, pursuing his/her telos. telos being the purp
Agoes
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Gagasan utama dalam buku ini adalah tentang bagaimana menjadi lebih bijaksana, yang banyak merujuk ke konsep-konsep Aristoteles. Banyak pertanyaan filosofis yang dibahas dalam buku ini, misalnya seperti apakah wujud kebijaksanaan, mengapa kebijaksanaan itu diperlukan, siapakah yang dapat dikatakan bijaksana, dan sebagainya. Dalam menjelaskan konsep tersebut, penulis banyak memberikan contoh-contoh di berbagai bidang (sekolah, rumah sakit, hukum, dan lain-lain), namun contoh yang diberikan lebih ...more
Michael Fong
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Thematically: Are we more than this harsh world of goal-setting and cash dreams? That we ask, we aren't. The book reveals so in two steps. First, it shows us our dejection, with studies of lawyers and doctors marching disillusioned through redtape to dollared demigods. Second, it shows us hope, with successful projects that balance profit with humanity.

Stylistically: The case studies are nicely fleshed out and illuminating, lending us the experience of practical wisdom, the revered notion here.
Sue Lyle
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book takes Aristotle's ideas about phronesis (practical wisdom) and in laymen's terms makes the case for phronesis today. It is an easy read which distils important ideas and makes them Accessible to all. The case is well made that what we need more than ever is to trust that our doctors, teachers, lawyers and even bankers are capable of practical wisdom and if given autonomy can override our rule-governed public services and in the process restore ethics, pride in work and the desire to do ...more
Magnus Lidbom
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People are inherently lazy, selfish and untrustworthy. They cannot be trusted to make good decisions on their own. In order to get them to do what they should, we must steer them by means of rules, punishments and incentives. The carrot and the stick. This, in a nutshell, seems to be the belief that guide most institutions today. It is a belief that increasingly permeates society. You likely believe it at some level. I know I did.

This book will walk you through how and why this belief is wrong.
Mohammad rouk
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book that mentions societies most crucial wounds which is creating rules, policies, scripts, guidelines and incentives for everything under the sun and standardizing whatever that can be standardized to avoid human mistakes and bad judgments and ensure maximum efficiency and productivity which with all it's payoffs and huge successes is slowly altering our behaviors to the worse which i think will lead to fatal societal disasters. By demoralizing institutions, commercializing and turning ...more
John
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, wisdom
I think this book started out with great amount of excellence. It did it by identifying and defining Practical Wisdom by diving into Arsistoteles and his idea of it. Really great. Then it introduced some good examples of how to identify it, and how rules keep wisdom from flourishing. Then the middle part was a lot of examples of this (how rules put an end to wisdom), in many different fields of study (education, law, medicine, business etc.) - and here it kind of lost me by diving into a lot of ...more
Byron Wright
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The central thesis in this book is that the excessive use of strict rules and incentives has unintended consequences. This results in people losing sight of the real goals within their organization and blindly following the rules or working only towards the incentive.

The other part of the book is the idea that morality (right and wrong) are learned by example much more than rules. For example, when is it appropriate or inappropriate to lie (white lies or sure honey you look great in that dress).
Joseph
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
this book is on ethics and understandably dry for that reason.

the author argues on why ethics is important and highlights the various dilemmas we're in from the teaching profession, lawyers, bankers, doctors etc...

then we will always have canny outlaws (those who defy the pressure, financial gains to do the right things) but this group of people isnt enough to create meaningful change. The author suggested institutional change and highlighted various initiatives that have already taken place in
Dan
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Treat people well. Rules and Policies shouldn't take precedence over people and how you treat them. A good book that should be required in any business or ethics class. The author follows the teachings of Aristolte's, "Ethics" with its emphasis on, "Virtue" Ethics and the qualities a good person develops rather than hard to follow rules that may require adaption.

There is a good section about the world we believe and want and the world how it is. In shaping our decisions, we have to adapt. Princ
Michael Carlson
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book and a very good read. Like muckraking journalists one hundred years ago, Schwartz and Sharpe expose our culture's current failures to promote "practical wisdom" in the people and institutions where it's needed most. Although focusing on law, medicine, education, and finance, their writing and insights make clear we all both need and suffer--literally, suffer--from a lack of practical wisdom in our lives.
But my summary makes the book sound darker and (even) more depressi
Cindy
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this book as one of the required pieces for my MEd program. Can't say that I was blinded by its brilliance. It's sad that people have (supposedly) lost the things that help one to be wise - empathy, personal interest, time, care - and that the authors feel compelled to remind readers that the only way to be practically wise is to practice these qualities. Truthfully, Ecclesiastes, written by King Solomon some 600 years before the birth of Aristotle (who serves as the the unofficial mentor ...more
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • Character Strengths and Virtues: A Handbook and Classification
  • Even Happier: A Gratitude Journal for Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment
  • Thinking of Answers: Questions in the Philosophy of Everyday Life
  • Spiritual Evolution: A Scientific Defense of Faith
  • Against Intellectual Monopoly
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • On MisEducation (Critical Perspectives)
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • What to Ask the Person in the Mirror: Critical Questions for Becoming a More Effective Leader and Reaching Your Potential
  • Varat och varan: Prostitution, surrogatmödraskap och den delade människan
  • Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth
  • The Folly of Fools: The Logic of Deceit and Self-Deception in Human Life
  • The Happiness Manifesto
  • Counter Clockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility
  • Happiness: Lessons from a New Science
  • 100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know
  • The Essential Tillich
an American psychologist. Schwartz is the Dorwin Cartwright Professor of Social Theory and Social Action at Swarthmore College. He frequently publishes editorials in the New York Times applying his research in psychology to current events.
More about Barry Schwartz...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Emotions properly trained and modulated, Aristotle told his readers, are essential to being practically wise: We can experience fear, confidence, desire, anger, pity, and generally any kind of pleasure and pain either too much or too little, and in either case not properly. But to experience all this at the right time, toward the right objects, toward the right people, for the right reason, and in the right manner—that is the median and the best course, the course that is a mark of virtue.” 4 likes
“There is no more effective way to destroy the leadership potential of young officers and noncommissioned officers than to deny them opportunities to make decisions appropriate for their assignments.” 2 likes