Start by marking “Fall is Not Easy” as Want to Read:
Fall is Not Easy

Fall is Not Easy

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  469 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Fall is a tough time of year for a lot of us. Kids have to go back to school, teachers and football players have to go back to work, and parents have to look for new places to hide holiday presents. But perhaps fall is hardest of all on trees. After all, they have to change their entire appearance every year! This book is the rhyming story of a tree's humorous struggles to ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Zino Press Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Fall is Not Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall is Not Easy

Jason Koivu
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
* * * Read to me by my niece Emma * * *

I'll tell you what's not easy, listening to a 1st grader butcher the English language!

I kid. Honestly, Emma's getting along fine. Watching her fumble over the occasional word can be frustrating, and I do need to curb my habit of jumping in and feeding her the correct words, but she's getting better.

Fall is Not Easy was our after-school read and we both liked it well enough.

"Why isn't Fall easy," Emma asked me as we picked up the book.
"That's why were go
Vivian
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Winter is easy.
My branches are bare.
Then snow starts to melt
And spring's in the air.
(and so forth through the seasons...
until fall)

Here the illustrations are a riot.
When leaves change color do they make
a Rainbow?
a Smiley face?
etc.--going through 8 more silly trys.

It would be fun to distribute coloring sheets with just a tree outline and challenge the children to make their own silly fall leaf design.
Lisa Vegan
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
The seasons are told from a tree’s point of view with fall season having a lot of tongue in cheek turn of events before autumn is shown as is. The story is cute and funny and is in simple rhyme form. The pictures are a delightful and silly. This is a good introduction to the seasons for young children.

Heidi-Marie
This is a really fun book that will be great choice for the toddler audience in my fall-themed craft storytime. I love some of the tree's leaf difficulties. I think the older kids will get that, too.

10/9/10 A perfect choice for craft storytime. The right amount of text for toddlers, and all ages loved seeing the different leaves of the trees and saying what they looked like. Definitely a winner that I must use again this season.

10/12/10 & 10/14/10 Fabulous book for both the Outreach preschoo
Natalie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Starts out slow and poetic then the unexpected giggles kick in.
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great for Autumn story-time.
Lynda
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another babysitting read. Both the kids and I really like this.
Heather
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming book...perfect for fall!
Samantha
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great fall book. The leaves change color in the most amazing way.
Laura McLoughlin
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, that took a silly turn. Excellent for a fall story time.
Maggie KutsBorg
I'm into it. I think the all-wrong leaves can work for the toddlers, especially if I show them some orange/red/brown trees before this and really drive home the real science before we see the book invert those expectations. Gods, I'm excited for fall storytime. (August 27, 2014)

I read this at Toddler Time and yes, I made the prop. I found that it worked best if I read the book and showed them the illustrations for the first few pages, but once the leaves start to get funny, I set the book down i
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great little book. The illustrations are very traditional-looking, and it starts off seeming to be a typical sweet, if slightly boring, story about the seasons. But then when it gets to fall, you turn the page and get a silly surprise: the poor tree just can't get it right, and his leaves turn crazy colors in silly patterns, such as a rainbow, smiley face, cow print, world map, etc. Then, when he finally gets it right, they all fall off and winter blows in again.

This story is usually a
June
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
One of my favorite picture books so far this year. A look at the seasons from a trees point of view. Simple but fun. I'll try it for my Autumn story time and maybe change the rating after I see how it works. 8/31/11

I used this for both my preschool class visits and it got giggles from both groups. 9/24/12

Used this with a Kindergarten class with great results. The teacher wrote me an e-mail afterwards "The children enjoyed it so much and couldn't stop talking about it on their return trip to scho
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seasons, trees, changes, fall
I loved reading this story. The illustrations were great. I would use this story in my classroom, if my students were learning about weather and fall. We would discuss how the trees change as the weather gets cooler outside. I would do an activity were either we create trees out of construction paper and show how the trees change and write a sentence about why the trees change throughout fall, or I would have my students create their own type of tree just like the story did and write a few sente ...more
Courtney
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall
This book is a great book for a young audience. It shows young audiences that nothing last forever. It displays the different seasons and how to make the best out of each season. It also shows that if you stick around everything comes back in a full circle. An activity I can incorporate in class is for every season we can explore the different changes. During the Fall, we can pick up leaves, during the spring, discover the flowers, during the winter, feel the different forms of ice, and during t ...more
Tam
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Millie Simonds
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: beginning-books
This book was rather boring to me but It did have pretty pictures and would be a grerat beginning book for children who are learning to read as well as children who are learning their seasons. I probably would have this book in the classroom because it would be an easy read for most students. It also talks about how change is hard. I think that I would read this to the class if maybe some of them were going through a difficult change at home. I would then have them write a reflection on what the ...more
Chanelle
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book is great to show the process between the seasons of how tress sprout and loose their leaves. I like how the author is very descriptive and talks in the child's point of view. In the book the different changes in leaves are cool ways that a child might imagine a tree could look like. Then at the end, it shows the tree losing its leaves and winter coming back again. Fall is Not Easy is great to show the cycle of seasons.
Ann
Cute book about a tree in all four season and his problem during the fall. The tree has a hard time getting his leaves to cooperate( tree makes all kinds of cute designs with leaves, for example- pumpkin, hamburger, rainbow, happy face). Pictures are kind of small for story time but could be adapted to a flannel story.
Jess
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
October 2016 - I've read this at least 3 times each fall for the last 7 years, and it never falls flat (especially with our felt prop). Ben loved saying, "that's wrong!" to each version - and as happens with most preschool groups, he also said, "that's wrong!" to the final multi-colored version, and phenomenon that continues to mystify me. Great for groups, great one on one.
The Brothers
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trees, seasons
A short, but succinctly to the point in a marvelous way, look at the seasons from the point of view of a tree. Lots of the seasons are "easy" according to this tree, but one just keeps tripping it up.

LOVED the illustrations. Great book to use if you're doing a seasons/fingerprint tree with little kids.
Ellen Brandt
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a silly book about a tree whose leaves just won't cooperate in the Fall. They change colors, but they do it all wrong! One minute the tree is purple with yellow polka dots, then it has blue and white stripes, next it might look like a rainbow, or a hamburger or a neon sign or a clown face. Kindergartners: How can we tell that this is a made-up story?
South Country Library Children's Department
This is a great book for Autumn. It starts off slowly, making kids think it is going to be a dry book about the seasons. But then the tree's silly predicament is revealed - it can't get its leaf color right. Instead, the tree looks is colored like a soccer ball, the Earth, a hamburger and more. Kids giggle when they see this. Will the tree ever get it right? Makes a great read-aloud for a class.
Mrs. Brandt
Katie Fitzgerald
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 10/4/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 4/27/12:

Read at Preschool Story Time on 8/22/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Melanie
A tale of a tree that thinks it's easy being a tree in winter, spring and summer. But when fall comes around it can't get it's leaves to do what the tree thinks they should be doing.

A cute, simple and charming seasonal story.
Lynne
I used this book in a story time for 4-6 year olds. They laughed and laughed at the struggles of the poor little tree to do what it is supposed to do in the autumn. The humor comes through the illustrations as the tree can't manage to change colors in the proper way. I love this little book!
Samantha
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A tree takes readers through the seasons of the year and explains what happens to it as the result of each. Fall is a fun, creative look at the many patterns the leaves take on before finally falling to the ground.

Overall, a fun seasonal read aloud for PreK-2.
Fred Pollock
Every kid I know laughed and laughed at the struggles of the poor little tree to do what it is supposed to do in the autumn. The humor comes through the illustrations as the tree can't manage to change colors in the proper way. I love this little book! What fun!
Lindsey
A great book for beginner level ELLs.

A nice book from the perspective of a tree going through the seasons. Of course Fall is not Easy, but not because the tree dreads losing its leaves like I thought. A fun and simple read.

• Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • George and the Dragon
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Nest
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball (Toys, #4)
  • All for Pie, Pie for All