Jump to ratings and reviews

Hooked

Thea Galehouse has always known how to take care of herself. With a flighty club-owner mom and a standoffish, recovering-alcoholic dad, Thea has made her own way in her hometown of New York, attending the prestigious and competitive Stuyvesant High School. But one chat with Will, a handsome and witty senior, and she's a goner—completely hooked on him and unable to concentrate on anything else.
Always worried that she loves Will more than he loves her, Thea is pleasantly surprised when their romance weathers his move to college and Will goes out of his way to involve her in his life. But then, Thea misses a period. And that starts Thea and Will on a wild ride that neither of them could have possibly prepared for. When they decide to keep the baby, their concerned parents chip in what they can to keep Will in school and give both teenagers a comfortable place to raise their child. But when a freak accident leaves Thea shaken and threatens to upend their little family altogether, Thea is forced to turn to the last place she would have chosen for comfort: her stiff, uncompromising father.
This smart, touching first novel brims with realistic, beautifully drawn characters, and reminds us that love is never as easy or predictable as we might like it to be.

276 pages, Hardcover

First published August 9, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Catherine Greenman

1 book43 followers
Hooked is Catherine Greenman’s first novel. She is a native New Yorker and still lives in the city, with her husband and children.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
232 (16%)
1 star
81 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 205 reviews
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews222 followers
January 28, 2012
Hooked is such a believable and real book. Nothing is sugar coated, nothing is too far of a stretch. It is all real life, and that is what I enjoyed most about it. I am not a huge fan of teenage pregnancy so I wasn't sure how much I was going to love Hooked, but Catherine Greenman does not try to glamorize pregnancy. But what she does accomplish is paint a very accurate picture of the situation and how it affects everyone. Hooked is the story of not just Thea and Will, but of their whole families.

Thea is a likable enough character. I went into the story ready to dislike Thea. I know that is awful, but I imagined her to just be one of those people that thinks pregnancy would never happen, so they don't take any kind of precaution against it. But that was not Thea at all. She was so strong, and moral and darn it, she even crocheted! She was adorable and I ended up really liking her.

Will was just kind of meh, for me. I was kind of indifferent to him, even before Thea got pregnant. I couldn't really see the appeal of him at all. And then after Ian was born, Will just started going downhill in my eyes. I am still undecided on my final verdict as far as he goes.

The real selling point for Hooked is the writing. It's so wonderfully written, that you just can't help but want to read more and more. Catherine does a great job describing everything, and she is awesome at developing her characters subtly. She doesn't just come right out and say every thought on every characters minds, she plays around with their body language and subtle cues to help get at what their feelings are, and I loved that so much! I think that is the mark of great writing, and Catherine has it down.

Hooked also has a really satisfying ending. Not everything is wrapped up, but hey that is real life. Things can't always be neatly wrapped up at the end of the day. Thea and Will and Ians journey is still ongoing, but I the ending of Hooked was just perfect. Any fan of contemporary and realistic fiction will really enjoy Hooked.
Profile Image for Peggy.
306 reviews7 followers
May 27, 2011
Thea is a high school junior when she falls in love with a senior. She is sure that when Will leaves for college in the fall that he will dump her, but he doesn't. He attends a university in New York close enough that she can visit him anytime and still make it home for dinner. Then Thea discovers that she is pregnant. Major life changes are on the way...

I really, truly didn't like this book. In fact, I never finished it - I gave up and that is unusual for me. I felt the writing was uneven and inconsistent. It is written in the first person, with occasional slips into third. There was no depth to the characters, their dialogue at times didn't seem realistic. The metaphors were at time unusual and not particularly effective, sometimes even a bit jarring. I would find myself stopping mid-paragraph thinking, "What???" and then re-reading to see if I missed something. The time line was difficult to follow. Overall, I felt the writing was poor and the characters not real enough to care about.
Profile Image for Kelly Gunderman.
Author 2 books77 followers
July 3, 2018
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

**Actual Rating: 2.5/5 Stars

It took me forever to read this book. I'm not even kidding - I have been reading this book for 3 months now. I'm not even sure why - I mean, I've read other books in between reading this one, but for some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to sit down and finish this. I actually thought about not finishing it a few times, but the book itself wasn't necessarily bad, so I figured that one day I would come back to it.

So yesterday, out of nowhere, I sat down and made myself finish it, and it turned out that once I started, I was able to go right through the rest of it with no problems - in fact, I was looking forward to reading the rest of the book. I guess I was in a bit of a reading slump with this one, and for a while I lost interest, but in the long run I ended up finishing it and thinking that hey, this book is actually kind of interesting.

Anyway, let's talk about Hooked. I've always been drawn to books that are realistic fiction, and this book definitely falls into that category. The main character, Thea, finds herself falling head over heels in love with Will, a senior in her school. Thea is used to fending for herself - her mom is kind of flighty and not all that together as a parent, while her dad is a recovering alcoholic. Her parents are divorced, and her relationship with both of them is kind of strained. So when Thea takes a pregnancy test that comes back positive, she has to get ready to embark on a whole new journey - parenthood.

At least she has Will by her side - willing to stand up and be a father to their baby. When their son is born, Thea thinks everything will work out - they rent a nice apartment together, Will goes to school, and Thea watches the baby. Except things aren't always as easy as they seem, and they spiral downward quickly for Thea, and she finds out that Will, who she expected to be by her side through everything, might not have the same interests at heart after all. Thea learns to ask others for help, and to rely on herself to learn how to get through life with a new baby.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I didn't dislike it, either, so there's that. It kind of just was. I can't say that it was exceptional in terms of writing, character development/personalities, or even plot, unfortunately. It's the kind of book that yeah, it was nice to read, but there was just something missing.

First off, I wasn't a huge fan of the characters - Thea included. Will just seemed like he had no personality to me - cookie cutter, maybe. The insta-love between Thea and Will in the beginning of the book was just so...meh. It felt forced, like the two had absolutely zero chemistry.

Next, I couldn't stand Thea most of the time. She acted like an entitled brat for the majority of the book, and I was rolling my eyes more often than not. She was spoiled, expected everyone to do everything for her, and it was almost as if she didn't try. I couldn't connect with her at all.

Thea's mom and dad were kind of meh to me, as well - her mom seemed to care more about her married boyfriend than she did her own daughter, but at least her dad stepped up to help when no one else would, so that was nice.

The way Will acted in the second half of the book was completely unacceptable, and some of the things Thea says regarding will in the last chapter just made me shake my head, and I kind of felt bad for her. This is a girl who was hopelessly in love with someone who had different ideas of what their lives should be like. I don't know, I just didn't feel anything for either of them, so I guess their relationship wasn't something I cared much about.

I tried so hard to love this book, but I feel like I was just so bored with it that it put me into a reading slump. There was nothing new here - no diversity, no real, chemistry-fired romance, no redeeming main character with the best personality and development that you'll ever read. Nope, none of that here. This book was okay, but I wish it had more depth, more spice to make it something that I could have gotten hooked on.
Profile Image for Joni Thomas.
172 reviews14 followers
October 8, 2011
There is no book on teen pregnancy that I will pass up, it's a subject that for some reason, I love to read about. So naturally I couldn't wait to read this book. And I liked it. The story follows Thea who meets Will at school and he asks her out on a date. Before you know it they have both fallen hard for each other, completely wrapped up in and, yes, hooked on each other. Their relationship even withstands Will's move to college. Then Thea finds out she is pregnant and their relationship will be tested in ways they never could have predicted.
When Thea finds out she is pregnant at first she plans to have an abortion but she can't go through with it. She tells Will and they sit down and tell their parents. Will's aunt is subletting her apartment so they are able to find a place to live with the baby. Will lands a job as a summer associate at a law firm and Thea stays home preparing for the baby. But neither one of them is fully prepared and after the baby comes tensions rise between the sleepless nights and the money issues and everything else that comes from having a child. When a freak accident with the baby pushes Will farther away from Thea and he decides he can't do it anymore Thea is on her own to care for their son with one person to turn to, her stiff, uptight father.
I am glad this book featured the problems and troubles that come with a baby. So many times books gloss over the issues but this book showed that tempers flare, parents become enemies and babies are not always a little bundle of joy 24/7.
While the title obviously is about Thea being completely Hooked on Will, it also refers to the hobby Thea takes up while she is home alone while Will is at work: crocheting. I love books that describe hobbies like knitting, crocheting and baking and I have been itching to learn to crochet since I read this book. It was a nice little side part of the story to hear about Thea working on learning to crochet and the special project she is working on.
The only downfall of this book was the dialogue, it was a bit off to me. Almost like it the author was trying too hard to make the characters sound witty and sarcastic. It took me a while to get used to it but after a few chapters I didn't even notice anymore.
This book by far has the most realistic take on how a baby can affect a relationship. It's relief to find a book that doesn't make it rainbows and butterflies, but one that actually delves into the hardships and the disappointments that follow a teen pregnancy.
Profile Image for Brandi Kosiner .
995 reviews295 followers
June 26, 2012
This was a gritty yet funny at time contemporary. I think that we get a unique view into being pregnant and being a teen mom, and I think that it's an important message. As much as Thea tries at times, she cannot romanticize the idea, especially when her boyfriend Will makes it where she can't stay with him for a while. Though I liked this book and what it tried to convey, I was left feeling like there is nothing that will make me remember it a year from now. I still think that its worth reading.
I think that all aspects of characters were done well, Thea was fleshed out, and she had things I could relate to, perfections and faults alike. Will was dreamy at first and then gave a real picture of what happens a lot when a girl gets pregnant and there is a child brought into that relationship at such a young age. Thea's parents are far from perfect, but I really liked how her dad stepped up in the end whereas I wouldn't have expected that. I got to read about a dynamic that is not all that present in the books I read, the father daughter one.
I also like the stages the book goes through, we get to see the beginning and development of Thea's relationship with Will, and how she is completely hooked on him-to the extent that she doesn't really pay much attention to anything else. What a familiar feeling that is though, the new relationship and the obsession.
This book took on a whole other dimension with Thea's crocheting. It interested me because I can crochet a bit, and it played a role in a book of helping her to distract herself and also in the end helping to find herself some.
The ending wasn't tied up completely, but I think that is also life, and hers really was just beginning, so I think that is fitting in its own aspects.

For more of my reviews, check out Blkosiner’s YA and Teen Book Blog: http://blkosiner.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Jenna.
148 reviews14 followers
August 29, 2011
This book was awful. It was poorly written and fantastically unrealistic, and the characters weren't even remotely likeable. Will was a jerk, Thea was a spoiled brat ... I hated everything about this book. It doesn't glamorize teen pregnancy, but it certainly doesn't paint a realistic picture of it.
Profile Image for Hannah.
499 reviews
May 23, 2012
This books really makes me wish I lived somewhere where, instead of having to buy books online, I could go to a bookstore or library and take a look at the book, read the first page or so, before buying or borrowing it. After reading about a page, I was almost positive that this book would not be a good read for me. And it wasn't - the book frustrated me to no end.

Hooked starts out describing how Thea meets Will and how their relationship develops. And from the beginning on, their relationship didn't work for me. Thea and Will are the definition of insta-love; they meet, and bam - they're in love. There's no chemistry, nothing they have in common, nothing they really talk about - they're just in love, or so we're told. From what we see, their relationship is mainly physical - and I don't mean that it's addressed as an issue how most of it is physical; that's just the way it is. I didn't like Will at all - he didn't seem "handsome and witty" to me, he just seemed creepy. I know, that sounds mean, but I just got creepy vibes from him. Thea got very dependent on Will, which is another pet-peeve of mine. She has no other interests and stops caring about school - it's all about her boyfriend. And again, something like that not being addressed as an issue but just being, you know, there, frustrates me.

I thought Thea was an okay character at the beginning - she's a little boring, but not terrible. (Well, except for the fact that she doesn't wash her hair. I'm sorry, but... ew.) Once Thea finds out she's pregnant, she really started frustrating me. The most basic thing you'd expect from a teenage pregnancy book would be that it discusses the different options there are for people in that position, right? But that's not really the case in Hooked. First, Thea is supposed to get an abortion, but she doesn't go through with it, and then she wants to keep the baby. Her keeping the baby is fine, and neccessary for the story, but it bugged me how she didn't even consider adoption. We're pretty far removed from Thea's character throughout and don't get too much insight into her thoughts, so maybe that's why, but I felt like we got no information whatsoever about why she decided to keep the baby.

In the book's defense, I did like the family set-up, since it's very unique. I wish Hooked had focused more on that, since I think Thea's parents could have been very interesting to read about. But the story focuses on Thea and the baby, so we didn't get to explore the one storyline I would have been interested in.

The pacing is a little strange. There are weird time jumps, and I just cannot understand the reasoning behind why some scenes are so detailed while others aren't. I mean, that's normal - there are always a few scenes that the author describes in detail and then some passages summarizing the time in between; that's how novels work. But how the author decided which scenes to describe in detail and which ones to skip made no sense to me. For example, the scene of the birth, which I'd consider important and a rather dramatic scene, is shortened to one small paragraph, while there are descriptions of Thea's crocheting that are pages long, which bored me to no end. I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but it felt almost like the reasoning behind the pacing was to minimize action and drama and to maximize my boredom with the description of things that I just didn't care about, like Thea's crocheting.

Towards the end, the book does get a little better. I liked reading about how Thea tries to support the baby, and the issues she faces as such a young mother. But those were just the last 30 or 40 pages or so, so they couldn't save the book for me.

There are quite a few things that frustrated me about Hooked, but they alone don't explain my dislike for this book. Hooked just... GAH! It made me want to rip my hair out; it made me so angry, and I'm not even sure why. Maybe it's that often, when I'm not liking a book, I'm enjoying not liking that book. Does that make any sense? I don't know, I often just like thinking about why I don't like a book. And in Hooked, I didn't even have that - I just wanted it to stop. I kept wanting to stop reading; I finished the book, but really just because I'm weird and have this thing about needing to finish every book I start.

Reviewed at http://www.paperbacktreasures.blogspo...
Profile Image for Emily Benoit.
291 reviews
September 18, 2011
Concept/ideas: 4/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Storyline/Plot: 4/5
Rating: 3.5/4 stars

This book was really good. Not as good as I thought maybe it would be. But still definitely good. I was expecting more of an easier plotline, but it actually goes along with a pretty in depth feel and alot of thought within the story... more than you'd expect. It went pretty fast, and the book takes place over a span of about 3 years from the very beginning, to the very end. There were some slow parts, but every word, every page... it all was important to the storyline. I found myself a lot of the time thinking "Oh my god, what's going to happen now?!". There were so many parts where I didn't know what Thea was going to do, and it worried me, believe it or not. Knowing how far she came throughout the book, I was hoping certain things were not going to happen by the end. This book touches a lot on the subject of love, and how it is not always going to come out to be as easy or predictable as we all sometimes hope. But this book was very good, and deeper than I believed it was going to be. You find yourself getting attached to the characters, and it's hard to say goodbye by the end. I reccommend this book most definitely!! I love Catherine Greenman, and I look forward to more books and works by her. I guess I could say that the only thing I didn't like about this book was the fact that sometimes the plot got a little confusing, and you didnt really understand what was going on, or at times, I believed I missed something, because sometimes it seemed as if the characters weren't explaining their feelings well enough and I thought they meant something else, until later on in the paragraphs, where they elaborated more on what they were talking about before. This was a ittle irritable, but you get used to it, and soon catch on. It's hard to explain what I mean about this, haha.

GO CHECK THIS ONE OUT FOR SURE :)
Profile Image for Emily Blake.
351 reviews133 followers
May 22, 2012
I know this is totally random and weird, but I got this book out of the library, and I think I may have been the first to read it. That has never happened before and I'm really excited about it. :p

Ok, enough with the creepy statements and to the review.

Although I really enjoyed this book, there were some things I didn't like about it. The romance was too quick. They meet, talk, whatever. That's fine. But then they go on a date, have their first kiss, fall in love, in one evening. And then soon after they do "it" all the time. Thea was kind of easy.

Will was kind of creepy, and I didn't completely like him, even in the beginning. And it wasn't just his eye; it was the things he did and the people he hung out with He just wasn't what I would call "good boyfriend material."

I like and admire Thea for sticking with Ian and taking such good care of him and having him in the first place. Although, I do think she messed up getting pregnant in the first place, I think she did the best that she could with the following situation.

Ian sounds so cute and perfect to me. Which, I will admit, isn't saying much since I love babies and think they are the most adorable things ever. Even animal babies. (Pandas are the cutest ;p)

You've just got to love the smaller characters like Carmen and the dad, and I guess the mom as well, although I didn't like her, that make the story special.
Carmen was so nice to Thea, helping her and all, and I really liked her. I also really like the dad. I thought he was a real jerk in the beginning, but after Ian was born, he started to soften up, and that's when I really started to like him.

For a debut I think Greenman did a pretty solid job and I can't wait to see what she comes out with next.

~Emily @ Emily's Crammed Bookshelf
Profile Image for Jessica B.
269 reviews
December 18, 2011
From shutupimreading.blogspot.com

First of all: while the cover is relevant, I would never read it in public. There's really no hiding what the book's about. MOVING ON.

With Hooked's mostly-likable protagonist and unique subject matter, Hooked was an entertaining read.

No, it wasn't perfect. My main problem was the way time jumps. For a story about pregnancy, time jumps are needed, yes. But for some reason they felt odd and unnatural to me and it was something that bothered me, as did some other minor writing issues.

Most of my complaints end there though. Thea, while sometimes naive and even a little annoying at times, was a realistic and likable main character. Will was...well, I don't know. I thought he was realistic. I know I keep using that word a lot, but it's the best way I can properly describe the characters and plot. Things weren't sugarcoated and characters weren't perfect, and that was one of the main things I liked about Hooked.

Hooked is a story about teen pregnancy, love, family, and growing up. It didn't make an impact on me, but it was fun and entertaining while it lasted.

Plot: At times it was kind of easy-to-put-down, but mostly it was good.
Characters: Pretty good. Didn't fall head-over-heels for any of them, but I didn't hate any of them.
Writing: Eh. It was Greenman's debut, so the writing wasn't perfect, but I can definitely see where Greenman could become a really good author.
Ending: Good.
Kid Friendly? There was sex. Well, obviously. But I mean like, a lot of it. And some language.
Should I read it? If you're looking for a decent contemporary that isn't really deep but isn't overly-light either, Hooked is the way to go.
Overall: 3 and a half stars
Profile Image for Savannah (Books With Bite).
1,399 reviews183 followers
June 11, 2013
I don’t pick up much teen pregnancy books cause of the drama. This story however, goes farther and much more in depth than what I thought.

1. Plot. This has a very good plot. We have the characters who meet, fall in love and of course get pregnant unexpectedly. And they fail. I really enjoyed the plot has the rise of love, excitement of a new life to the failing of communication and fear. It really showcase every single angle.

2. Emotions. This story is just like a roller coaster. First love, the joy of child birth, and then the hurt and betrayal of loving your boyfriend. Things change so much within the story that at times, I took a few breaks. Some parts really ticked me off.

3. Motherhood. Even though this girl was just a teen, she took her responsibility well. She cared for her child no matter what she was told. And yeah, like every mother out there, there were accidents with her son and yet, she learned from them. It made her stronger and a better mother.

4. Parent Support. I don’t think that this girl could have done it without the help of her parents. Her parents are wonderful people who did everything they could to protect their daughter and their grandchild. They helped her finish school and get a job.

5. Success. Just because you have a child when you are young does not mean you life is over. Yeah, it will be harder but if you put your mind to it, you can make it. Thea did. She pushed to finish school and she became successful. It took her longer, but she did it so she can have a future for her son. And that’s amazing.

Hooked is a great story showcasing wonderful writing and characters. A loving tale that will tug at your heart, Hooked is awesome.
Profile Image for Maya Khan.
74 reviews9 followers
February 5, 2013
It was brilliant. I'll be honest, I started this thinking it was just another boy meets girl kind of book. But boy was ii wrong! It had its cliched moments but I liked the deeper parts better and was bowled over by the strong female lead and her love for her baby!

This is Greenman's first novel and I must say she's done a pretty good job. It's not mind blowing literature mind you, but it has it's finer moments as well. I liked the fact that she didn't try to portray teenage pregnancy as a cool thing instead she's found a way to overcome the difficulty of raising a baby. Thea doesn't come across as a shallow, airhead who did t have much else besides talking about boys and clothes. She's a strong woman with a good head on her shoulders. So when she falls pregnant and finally decides to keep it, it comes as a surprise that she thinks about the future of her baby rather than taking the easy way out as her parents and friends suggest. She doesnt keep the baby in the thought that will her baby daddy will marry her, but because it's the right thing to do. She made a mistake, she takes responsibility. End of! She also doesn't just sit around and wallow but she takes up her hobby of crocheting and turns it into a lucrative business.

There are some holes in the story as well like every other story. For instance, their parents agree to contribute toward the baby. Now how many parents are well off to do such a thing? Or even if they were would they agree to such a commitment?
Profile Image for kb.
666 reviews18 followers
August 23, 2017
This gave a fresher take on first love and pregnancy and teen parenthood. The main characters, Thea and Will, weren't very likable at first but they grew on me because of how they themselves grew in the story . I also liked the writing style because it had the right blend of wit, swoon, angst, and preach.
Profile Image for Jessica.
826 reviews
April 6, 2013
Quick, fun light read. About a teen who finds herself pregnant, and the consequences to follow. Hooked is the title partially b/c of a sub theme with crocheting. It's cute, wraps up nicely and doesn't make teen pregnancy too appealing - somewhat realistic, though in a "NYC wealthy-ish parents" kind of way.
Profile Image for Destiny Thurby.
117 reviews2 followers
August 11, 2022
I need to re read this book and re rate it. I read this book over 2 years ago. From what I remember I enjoyed it. And has good characters.
Profile Image for Pamela.
519 reviews3 followers
January 31, 2018
Thea's just your typical high school girl... except for one problem. She's pregnant. Luckily, her boyfriend Will is attending college in New York City. And her mom and dad are supportive. Will Thea be able to make it work?

This book was ok. Quick read but not that interesting or memorable. Oh... except for the crocheted bikini, which I thought was totally ridiculous. Who the heck would wear a crocheted bikini -- especially when it costs $200+? I don't understand how that would hold up in water... or how Thea's bikinis were just oh so beautiful when she had just started crocheting. Can you tell that I hate when books aren't realistic?

I was also so frustrated that Will flaked out. And surprised that Thea's dad became so supportive when he just seemed like some lame recovering alcoholic. It was actually Thea's mom who was kind of flighty.

Between the crocheted bikinis, the job that was just given to her (and how the heck did she afford a nanny?), and not agreeing with Thea's overall choices, I wouldn't recommend this one. A totally unrealistic, optimistic view of a pregnant teen. She made it look somewhat easy.
Profile Image for Birdie.
816 reviews45 followers
April 15, 2018
This book was a roller coaster ride. I flew through it in a couple sittings and couldn't put it down. The writing is really fast-paced and easy to get into but it was very immature in my opinion, especially in the beginning. There were just some phrases that would make me cringe while reading them. However, I did really enjoy Thea's character growth and how she matured into a woman who stood up for herself and her child no matter what anyone else tried to do to control her. I've seen this book around for years and I'm glad I finally picked it up and gave it a try. It was enjoyable, and definitely dramatic at times, but it wasn't the best thing I've ever read. If you're looking for an interesting, fast-paced book I'd recommend giving this one a change.
Profile Image for Nicole.
1,055 reviews7 followers
December 5, 2019
Meh. This was an okay book.

There was one giant plus, and that was that the author really made you feel for the main character, especially when it came to her relationships (particularity her parents). Other than that, I felt it was pretty rushed. It jumped around a lot- it seemed to skip what seemed like pretty events and then casually mentioned them later. It was was important plot details that were told, not shown, and it was pretty jarring. The characters also didn't feel like real people. Just their reactions to everything were just off, like the author was trying too hard to make them 'interesting' rather than believable.
Profile Image for Susan Bazzett-Griffith.
1,708 reviews44 followers
November 24, 2017
A realistic, if somewhat slow story about an average teenaged girl from New York, who has an average high school romance who gets pregnant and the aftermath of that pregnancy and how it affects her family, her future and her relationship. Rather than having any sort of moralistic story line (refreshing!), the story is actually all just very slice of life, reminding me a bit of the 1980s film For Keeps, but with less drama and no comedic relief moments. Unexpected and also a bit underwhelming, but still a good book. 3, almost 3.5 stars.
Profile Image for Liza.
443 reviews8 followers
June 8, 2016
I spent most of this book waiting for it to go bad, but honestly, in the end it was just a cute (I hate to use that word about a book dealing with teenage pregnancy, which this book definitely is) story about a girl who has a baby when she's 18 and it turns out okay. It was periodically disjointed, sometimes random to the point of "what was the point of that paragraph?" but overall a straightforward story. I would classify this as young adult fiction.

A lot of was annoyingly vague. The sex was vague (in a, "Wait, did they take off their clothes? What is he 'thrusting' into?" kind of way where you have to reread the paragraph to make sure that just happened), the giving birth process was vague (in a way that made me simultaneously question whether the author has kids and also assume she does), it sort of jumped around a bit when it was convenient, and there wasn't a ton of resolution to the peripheral characters (they just sort of existed). But it wasn't bad. The characters evolved. Somewhat painfully, in some cases. And it was written by someone who is obviously familiar with the area the characters live in, which I tend to appreciate.

I think the only major turn off for me with this book was that it was just so easy for Thea. Yeah, okay, there was a half a second where she agonized over the abortion, and half a minute where she was stressed about Will. But she has a charmed life. Maybe I'm just jealous.

And, honestly, if my parents and in-laws wrote us a check for $20,000, set us up in a rent-controlled apartment, paid for both our college educations, then found me a job, let me and the baby live with them when it didn't work out with the baby's father, paid for a full-time nanny to watch my child in-house,and then wrote a $25,000 check for me to start a business, I'd do okay, too. Right?

So, yeah, a lot of is ridiculous fantasy, but enough of the book was realistically-enough written (hint: I still have complaints) for me to keep reading. Sometimes the tone irritated me, but I think that was on more of a "this is not my type of person" level that I'm not used to finding in books. I guess I more often read books about people that are either popular and you expect them to act that way (yeah, I know what I just implied, sorry), or sympathetic to nerd culture. I'm not used to the main character being so... Let's just say that I use the term "hipster" in the same tone Thea says "nerd."

But the entire book was written from such a privileged point of view that I can't even find words. They discuss "opening a shop" like it's so obvious that everyone should do it. I wanted a baby and I was cleaning to much, so my husband said, 'Open a shop!' and so I did! I don't even live in a world where anyone I know would buy a $300 bikini, let alone a stupid crocheted one. (I like crocheting, by the way.) New York must be another planet where everyone has that kind of money. I guess you'd almost have to, to live in they city, but it still irks me that Thea and Will's parents simply gave them $10,000 each. I lived in a studio apartment in a shitty part of town, gave up any thoughts of going to college, got a full-time job making $6.75 an hour, a second part-time job making $8 a hour, worked 60 hours a week, and went back to work four weeks after I gave birth because my electric was going to get shut off. My parents were not in the equation, certainly not financially, and I paid for daycare, too. I just. Maybe I just wasn't ambitious enough, or maybe I just didn't come from the right background to have this kind of advantage. All I know is that having a kid that young didn't work out that way for me.

And, let's be honest: I finished high school. My background was such that, if my parents didn't give a shit once I was an adult, then it's fair to say that they also didn't bring me into a childhood where I was hungry or lived in a shelter. So in a way, maybe I was privileged, too.

(Also, wtf. They gave her Percocet after she had the baby? I got frickin Tylenol, every time.)

But some things she got right.
I was pissed when I got home, the usual thing, how Ian ruled and how I couldn't do something I wanted to do for three seconds without him flipping out, how I was stuck with him all the time while in the meantime everyone else on the planet had a life.
I think at least every mother who's had children too young has that thought at least once. How you deal with it is what defines the situation, but the thought, that's universal.

So, overall, I guess I'm going to go with a 3. But it's more of a 2ish type of 3. It gets points for not outright glamorizing teenage pregnancy, but I doubt many young girls are this privileged when they get knocked up in high school.

ETA: After some thought, I wanted to add that, while this book was a super idealist view of what could happen to a girl who had a baby so young, it isn't entirely unheard of. Some people have supportive families; some people have enough money to make having a child at 16, 17, 18 workable. Most people don't, and I think that some of this book was so fantasticaly that it made it hard for me, one of the have-nots, to relate to what was happening. It was just too good to be true, and that took away some of the believability for me. But if you view it from that angle, it wasn't a bad book.
Profile Image for Jordan Kuck.
20 reviews2 followers
January 9, 2018
This book moves very slow and has wayyyyy too many details but it is a good book with an okay ending. I did enjoy it at times but other times i was just dragging through it. I only finished it because i was too invested in finding out the ending lol.
Profile Image for Fierymermaidbooks.
247 reviews18 followers
November 15, 2019
Book Review (⭐️⭐️⭐️.5)
This book was really cute! I loved how the author gave them a good relationship before they found out about the baby. Then they decided to keep the baby, and you get to see the struggles of adjusting to parenthood. I wished the ending would have been better! ———————————————-
Profile Image for Jasmine.
21 reviews
March 26, 2022
the book was okay, seemed predictable but was very realistic in terms of life and teenage pregnancy. i liked the book but at times i didn’t want to continue reading but otherwise it was an okay book.
26 reviews7 followers
October 19, 2016
It was an OK read

Honestly the idea of the book was better then the actual story. Thea was a bit obnoxious and immature through out the ENTIRE book. I thought maybe she would grow up after having a baby but NOPE. *SPOILER* The part where will brings home friends and they are smoking pot around Ian really got to me. She was so concerned with his safety ect, Yet having drugs around her child didn't phase her at all? All in all the book was a bit unrealistic to the ACTUAL lives of a teenage mother.
Profile Image for Randi.
287 reviews6 followers
May 23, 2017
This book was pretty slow, but still engaging.
Profile Image for Jennifer Sims.
6 reviews
April 25, 2018
I bailed on this. There wasn't anything specific I didn't like, I just couldn't get into it. I may give it another try later.
Profile Image for Elaine.
591 reviews1 follower
September 9, 2019
Pregnant teens try to make it on their own in spite of everyone's objections. Not your typical teen romance.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 205 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.