Start by marking “Introduction To Algorithms” as Want to Read:
Introduction To Algorithms

Introduction To Algorithms

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  6,531 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
This internationally acclaimed textbook provides a comprehensive introduction to the modern study of computer algorithms. It covers a broad range of algorithms in depth, yet makes their design and analysis accessible to all levels of reade Each chapter is relatively self-contained and presents an algorithm, a design technique, an application area, or a related topic. The a ...more
Paperback, Third, 1312 pages
Published February 2nd 2010 by Ingram (first published December 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction To Algorithms, please sign up.
Jose Andres In my opinion an essential book, one of those that definitely deserves to be on the shelf of every programmer. Very well structured, easy to read,…moreIn my opinion an essential book, one of those that definitely deserves to be on the shelf of every programmer. Very well structured, easy to read, with nice pseudocode and great exercises. It give you a solid foundation in algorithms and data structures. Recommended to have a decent mathematical background, to make a better use of the book. Without doubts read this book will make you a better programmer in the long run.(less)

Shawn Morel
What a terrible book. Though it's the cornerstone of many CS undergrad algorithm courses, this book fails in every way. In almost every way, Dasgupta and Papadimitriou's "Algorithms" is a much better choice: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

It tries to be a reference book presenting a good summary of algorithms but any of the interesting bits are left as "exercises to the student." Many of these exercises are do-able but far from trivial mental connections. A few require some mental Ah Ha
Khaled Alhourani
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: algorithms
An essential book for every programmer, you can't read this kind of book on bus, you need to fully constraint while reading it. The exercises after each chapter are very important to fully understand the chapter you just read, and to activate your brain's neurons. The book in itself is an outstanding one, very organized, focused and small chapters makes it easier to understand the algorithms inside it.

It contains the essential and most popular algorithms, so you can't live wthout it if you are r
Alex
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While searching for a Bible of algorithms, I of course quickly gravitated towards Knuth's Art of Computer Programming series. It's thousands of pages long — a magnum opus still in progress; how could it not be the most desirable source?

My research quickly yielded mixed opinions from the community. Some loved Knuth's books, while others found their language impenetrable, their code irrelevant, or their assertions wrong or out of date.

All, on the other hand, universally praised Introduction to Al
Arif
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Well, technically I didn't finish reading all the chapters in the book, but at least I've read most of it. The topics in the book is well explained with concise example. But sometimes, I need to find out the explanation by myself, things that I found interesting but sometimes frustrating. If I run into this situation, sometimes I need to find another reference to help me understand the problem. But still, this is a good book.
Nick Black
An essential, well-written reference, and one it's quite possible to read through several times, picking up new info each time. That having been said....this book never, I felt, adequately communicated THE LOVE. The pseudocode employed throughout is absolutely wretched, at times (especially in later chapters) binding up and abstracting away subsidiary computational processes not with actual predefined functions but english descriptions of modifications thereof -- decide whether you're writing co ...more
Saharvetes
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather pointless to review this, as in most places this is the algorithms textbook. It's a good book that covers all the major algorithms in sufficient detail with every step clearly spelled out for the students' benefit.

Unfortunately, this neatness of presentation is also its most major drawback: (1) it spends more time describing algorithms than giving the reader an idea of how to design them, and (2) it can easily give the impression that algorithms is about spending a lot of time proving obv
Blog on Books
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Algorithms, which perform some sequence of mathematical operations, form the core of computer programming. Intended as a text for computer programming courses, especially undergraduate courses in data structures and graduate courses in algorithms, an “Introduction to Algorithms” provides a comprehensive overview, that will be appreciated technical professionals, as well.

The major topics presented are sorting, data structures, graph algorithms and a variety of selected topics. Computer programmer
Libertas
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a word of advice, this is NOT an introductory work.

It is commonly used in graduate level CS courses and the text focuses more heavily on the math side than the CS side.

That's not meant to demean the quality of this book. I highly recommend undergrad CS students / folks preparing for interviews read this at farther along point in your education and instead start with the Algorithm Design Manual, which is more focused on the practical and immediate design concerns than mathematical correctn
Josh Davis
I've been reading CLRS on and off for years. I read bits at a time and have been picking and choosing chapters to read and reread. I must say that without a doubt this is the best textbook I have ever read. I could not recommend it anymore for anyone that wishes to learn about data structures and algorithms well. The authors never skimp on the math and that's my favorite part of this book. Almost every idea that is presented is proven with a thorough proof. All of the pseudocode is completely go ...more
Erik
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Final exam: completed. This damn textbook: ignored from here on out.

Whenever I look at it now, all I can think of is Alex in Clockwork Orange: "Eggiwegs! I want to SMASH THEM!"

This book did not help me in my class, not one tiny bit. Like so many other math-oriented textbooks, there is literally not one damn thing in the book that is not teachable but the teaching moments are all lost in math gymnastics, over-explaining, under-explaining, etc. Please, just once, let someone with the teaching tal
Koen Crolla
Some people just really enjoy typing, I guess. Not so much communicating, though: I was already pretty familiar with almost all of the algorithms and data structures discussed (the bit on computational geometry was the only thing that was completely new), but I can honestly say that if Introduction to Algorithms had been my first textbook, I wouldn't be.

(Also, I wish editors would stop writers when they try to use 1-indexed arrays in their books. Or, for that matter, pseudocode in general. Machi
Brad
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The textbook on algorithms. It does not do a very good job of teaching how to design algorithms, but it is an authoritative catalog of algorithms for a wide variety of situations.
Sheikh
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for software engineers and students of computer science and engineering who want to have a good understanding of algorithms.
Wouter
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has ben 14 years since I touched a math-oriented theoretical work like this, and that hurt a lot while slogging through this textbook. After graduating a lot of the software engineering skills you pick up are geared towards practicality. I literally forgot some mathematical terms I had to look up again. Sadly, trying to understand it's lemma's with the help of the appendices is not doable as they are even heavier than the things they try to explain.
Besides that problematic point, it's an exc
Israel Dee Beloved
Good book
Joke
Das Buch wurde uns zur Vertiefung zur Vorlesung "Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen" empfohlen. Da es kein Skript im klassischen Sinn gab (dafür eine Mailingliste und eingescannte Notizen des Dozenten), war das Buch somit meine Hauptinformationsquelle für die Nachbereitung nach der Vorlesung. Dabei hat sich das Buch als extrem hilfreich erwiesen, obwohl natürlich nur ein Bruchteil des Buches überhaupt behandelt wurde, da das den Rahmen des 1. Semesters mit Sicherheit gesprengt hätte. Dazu kommt noc ...more
Dmitry Kuzmenko
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gives a solid foundation of common non-trivial algorithms and data structures. It all comes with nice pseudocode, detailed walk-throughs and complexity analysis (along with worst case, average case and amortized complexity).

Personally I'd prefer to see the material in much more compact form, covering more of topics and more advanced or tricky algorithms and data structures. However, when something isn't clear, the detailed walk-throughs really help. Also, the exercises provided are inva
Michael
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst college books I have ever used. The examples in the book are severely lacking the needed information to answer the questions in which you are forced to use outside resources aka other Data Structure books to find the info to solve their problems. It is amazing that this is an MIT book because it DOES NOT MEET THEIR STANDARD. The book is unorganized and bounces around like the authors have ADHD. The text is covering an extremely abstract computer algorithm theories and fa ...more
Mohammad Samiul Islam
This books is amazing.

It's a bit hard for beginners, but then again, it's one of those books which you always have to come back to. Each time you come back, you learn something new. The exercises themselves have tons of stuff hidden in them. You need to be patient and learn slowly. Don't try to gobble everything up.

If you let go of your fear, and actually make an effort to learn something from it, you can learn loads. I learned Network Flow algorithm by reading this book. It took me few days, b
Harshil Lodhi
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
A book that one should definitely read once in the computer science career. It gives a mathematical and in depth look at how to understand algorithms and data structures, their time and space complexities and its proofs.

It could be a little hard, complex and lengthy for those who don't like in depth mathematics or those who just want to understand the DS and Algo at application level.

It is a classic and available for free so one should definitely read it.
Kaung Htet Zaw
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best algorithm textbooks out there. Always my go-to book for algorithm reference.
Endilie Yacop Sucipto
CLRS is without doubt one of the best book when learning about Algorithms, sometimes called as the "bible" of algorithm. However, while it is more of a reference book with very lengthy pages, it lacks some in-depth explanation on certain parts. I guess that's fine because it is indeed an "introductory" book.
Chee Leong
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Very detailed textbook, provided good examples of complexity, psuedocode for each algorithm.
Adeel Ahmed
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book for learning algorithms.
Valentin Harabagiu
The closest thing to my Bible :)
Fatima
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
The classical reference on Algorithms. What more can I say?
Dendi
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would never forget learning from this book.
Krishanthy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book to understand algorithm topics which a student want to study deeply, better for the reader of advanced algorithms.
Izhan Noorzi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a cookbook for computer science students.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This is the definitive book on algorithms.
about the book 6 80 May 01, 2015 06:29PM
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • Operating System Concepts

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Thomas H. Cormen is the co-author of Introduction to Algorithms, along with Charles Leiserson, Ron Rivest, and Cliff Stein. He is a Full Professor of computer science at Dartmouth College and currently Chair of the Dartmouth College Writing Program.

More about Thomas H. Cormen

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet