Start by marking “Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity” as Want to Read:
Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient  Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity

This timely anthology brings together thought-provoking maxims on the art of conscious living, inspired by the ancient tradition of the Golden Mean and the natural laws of economy and conservation. Less Is More draws us into the company of men and women from many eras and cultures, whose writings explore the virtues of simplicity and moderation in living.

Confucious, Patañj

Published September 1st 1996 by Inner Traditions (first published June 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Less Is More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Less Is More

Start your review of Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
Richard
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
"Always bear this in mind, that very little indeed is necessary for living a happy life."
~Marcus Aurelius
from page 27

"Turn yourself into gold and then live wherever you please."
~Sri Ramakrishna
from page 143

"In short, all good things are wild and free."
~Thoreau
from page 175

see page 233 for a few more great quotes.

Kelly
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my top ten books of all time. I read and re-read it often. It is my intention to continue to simplify my life and the ancient and modern voices speaking to “less” help me toward this intention.
Steel
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young People
So this book is basically a collection of aphorisms and quotations on why being poor is wonderful and how to be happy without many possessions. I loved it.
Henrik Haapala
The balanced life and the golden mean! When is enough really enough? Can we strike the right balance with possessions and desires and happiness and wisdom?

“To be content with what one has is to be rich.”
Tao Te Ching

“Nothing in excess.”
The Golden Mean
Inscribed at Delphi

“Philosophy consists in avoiding excess in everything.”
Pythagoras

“To be temperate is the great virtue.”
Heraclitus

“Simplify, simplify. Instead of three meals a day, if it be necessary eat but one; instead of a hundred dishes, fi
Michael Huang
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you're searching for wisdom offered by the wise on living a simple life, this is the wrong book to start with. Its format is way too fragmented to offer much deep thought. Its excerpts are often too canned and cliché sounding. The organization of different chapters is also not lucid but more haphazard. The only good part is that you might mind an occasional quote that is good. ...more
Michael Ryan
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is a silly book and I do not recommend it. Given that the subject is the virtues of simplicity, it seems incongruous to me that this book is probably a money-making scheme for the author. Any of us could drag together a bunch of random quotations on a subject and then publish them as a book. I was hoping for something a little more considered.
Afrijewel
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this in tandem with "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert K.

The takeaway from "Less Is More", is that life is meant to be simple neither complicated nor convoluted with stuff.

I will be wealthy in spirit and mind, as well as financially; yet, responsible in the sense of simplicity and giving, neither hoarding nor wasting.

It was necessary for me to read both "Less is More" and "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" in tandem so as not to feel the extreme weight of each perspective. So, I have happily found a midd
Lincoln
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Though it is an anthology of different writers, the sentiment is not overbearing though when repeated reinforces to me how much we fritter away ourlives in pursuit of materialism and how culturally nothing more is expected. Materialism leaves a veil over the eyes of what life can be and this book brought that point home to me. Thanks!
Peter Jones
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Foundational
Molly
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about a couple that gives up their hectic life in California to take over their parents' orchard out east and their quest for balance. ...more
kelly

Mar 04, 2018
Rushia
Jul 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
  • You Were Never Really Here
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Creativity: A Short and Cheerful Guide
  • Limitless: The Autobiography: The bestselling story of Britain’s inspirational astronaut
  • The Ultimate Gift
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • När allt gick under: brev från den romerska republikens sista år / Marcus Tullius Cicero; översättning och inledning av Eric Cullhed
  • Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
  • Löparens Hjärta
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • Digerdöden
  • Relax and Be Aware: Mindfulness Meditations for Clarity, Confidence, and Wisdom
  • The Great Philosophers: An Introduction to Western Philosophy
  • The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To