Start by marking “Resolution (Garnethill, #3)” as Want to Read:
Resolution (Garnethill, #3)

Resolution

(Garnethill #3)

Blending suspense, compassion, raw instinct, and grim wit, Denise Mina's Resolution completes her compelling Garnethill trilogy (which includes two New York Times Book Review Notable Books of the Year) that Val McDermid, author of A Place of Execution, calls "head and shoulders above much of contemporary crime fiction." In her gripping new crime novel, Mina returns once mo ...more
Published May 7th 2003 by Carroll & Graf (first published November 1st 2001)

Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinCold Granite by Stuart MacBrideBlack and Blue by Ian RankinHide and Seek by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian Rankin
Tartan Noir
257 books — 110 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonMacbeth by William ShakespeareDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonThe Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyVoyager by Diana Gabaldon
Books Set in Scotland
752 books — 555 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandi
An excellent conclusion to the Garnethill trilogy. Some of the best writing I have come across in crime fiction. The plots were believable, the characters almost too real, and the Glasgow setting endlessly fascinating.
Siobhan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Upon finishing Garnethill, I wasn’t overly crazy about continuing this trilogy. I was interested in seeing where things went, but it wasn’t an intense desire. In fact, if I had not brought the trilogy as a collection, I would not have been continuing. However, being a glutton for punishment, I dove into Exile with the hope of improvement – after all, so many people seem to enjoy Denise Mina as an author and I was hoping to find a spark to create such a view within myself. Unfortunately, my feeli ...more
Mark
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime/mystery readers
Shelves: recentlyread
Grim and gritty Glasgow--hard-drinking down-and-outers--kind of the opposite of Scott's Scotland. Denise Mina's books concern sexual abuse and gender politics, and avoid the usual formulas of the police procedural; instead, they're told from the point of view of women and victims. In this trilogy, the central character Maureen O'Donnell requires effort sometimes to like but is hard to resist: she's an alky, she makes crap decisions, and she's no romantic, yet she's brave, loyal, and pissed off a ...more
Vanessa
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The struggle was real with this one.

I've been a fan girl of Scottish mystery writer Denise Mina for a while now. I've loved the other two books in the Garnethill trilogy (Garnethill and Exile, respectively) and what I've read of her Paddy Meehan trilogy. I've even read the Hellblazer comics she has authored. I liked this trilogy so much, I put off reading this entry because I didn't want it to end. So I was surprised when I found the conclusion of this story just OK.

( I haven't been as thrilled
Kristine Brancolini
Resolution completes the trilogy featuring Maureen O'Donnell of Glasgow, Scotland. She's emotionally fragile, having survived childhood incest pepetrated by her father Michael and the recent murder of her married lover Douglas. Now Douglas's accused murderer is going on trial, but he may be trying to set himself up for an insanity defense by driving her crazy. Maureen has been living off money that Douglas gave her before his death, but that has pretty much run out. She and her best friend Lesli ...more
Leanna
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
funkgoddess
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a superb series. full of strong, believable women, all of whom are survivors and not victims.
Zelly
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recension: ZellysBokhylla
L
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Denise Mina's work is dark. Very dark. Her characters struggle with life, in seamy situations, following impossibly painful experiences. For instance, Maureen O'Donnell, works to make a life of some sort, as a survivor of childhood incest/rape and the recent murder of her [married] therapist/boyfriend. She drinks a bit. She wants to protect her sister's soon-to-be-born child from her father, even though most of her family paints her as the problem, not her father/rapist. If that weren't enough, ...more
James Carmichael
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, novel
AngryGreyCat
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Resolution is the third book in the Garnethill trilogy by Denise Mina. I would highly recommend reading this series in order…or you will be completely lost.

It is hard to discuss too much about this book without giving away spoilers to the first two in the series, because this plot wraps up events from those books. On the whole this is a dark, gritty, violent series. It covers a gamut of issues from childhood sexual abuse, alcoholism, family dysfunction, infidelity, drug abuse, rape and of course
Peter Weissman
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this book, though not as much as other Denise Mina books. For me, the problem, or maybe annoyance, is also that of most contemporary whodunit writers who know detectives through TV and the movies, and of course other books, often written a long while ago. In her first trilogy, Mina's mystery unraveler is a reporter--a good guise and rationale for uncovering moral or ethical shmutz, as well as murder. In the Garnethill trilogy, of which this book is #3, I don't know what the protagonist i ...more
Kate Pierson
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love that Glasgow setting of these Maureen O'Donnell books. I've learned so much about Glasgow, and I really have a picture of the city in my head. The writing is wonderful, so vivid. It's just a tad too gritty for me, though, and I think I'll take a break from "hard-boiled" mysteries for a while.
Randal
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Looking for the blueprint to Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy? Look no further than Denise Mina's "Garnethill" trilogy. These books could easily have been called "Men Who Hate Women." And, make Maureen O'Donnell a little younger and skinnier, give her some tattoos and body piercings, and make her a kick-ass computer hacker and what have you got? A Glaswegian Lisbeth Salander.
Monika
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Tredje och sista delen i serien om Maureen O'Donnell var jag egentligen inte alls lockad att läsa, eftersom jag inte gillat de två första speciellt mycket. Läs mer på http://bokslut.blogspot.se/2014/11/de...
Brian
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Finishing the trilogy in style, with the perfect mix of anger, class consciousness, feminism, scottishness, morbidity, and wit. Read all 3 now, and I mean that.
Eve Dangerfield
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable isn’t the right word for this book, or this series. Maureen and her family and friends are hard work, the way people in the real world are hard work. They drink too much and snipe each other and run around after inappropriate people and refuse to get their shit together. They’re complicated and though this is a buzzword usually directed at solely at women, unlikable. I don’t think I liked anyone in the three books (except maybe Kilty who was a very welcome addition to the crew, lighten ...more
Rachel
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Amazon -
"Maureen O'Donnell is facing the darkest episode in her life. She owes more than she makes in a year in back taxes; Angus Farrell, the psychologist who murdered her boyfriend, is up for trial, with Maureen as the reluctant star witness; and her abuser has arrived back in Glasgow in time for the birth of her sister's baby. On top of it all, Maureen - who identifies all too readily with the underdogs of this world - has become embroiled in someone else's family feud.
When an elderly
Matthew
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fiction, mystery
The third and final installment of this series is by far the most satisfying. Some of the things that were hard to like in the first two novels got resolved in a way that felt earned, and it's good to get closure in a way that feels realistic. In fact, this book seemingly didn't have a mystery to solve for quite awhile, until Mina reveals late in the book that something the reader has likely assumed isn't what happened at all. I've long had Denise Mina as an author to read and I'm glad I read th ...more
brianna
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this trilogy, and I was prepared for a bleak, or maybe ambiguous ending - this series ended with a fairly satisfying ending that normally I wouldn't care for but in this instance was well-done and didn't tie up everything with a neat, functional bow, especially in terms of the horribly messed-up family dynamics. I'd like to see these books made into movies, because I think they'd translate very well.
Sandy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A reread, but still good. Gritty Glasgow, where almost everyone has a drinking problem and public spaces have receptacles for the bottles. Maureen O’Donnell is surrounded by enemies, even her own family, as she dreads the trial that should imprison the evil doctor who preyed on those in rehab. Great sense of place.
Ellen
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was very glad to be able to finish up Maureen's story. It's tough to write a character that struggles with Maureen's issues, but Mina is a genius at creating character, not to mention plot! Maureen's vulnerable determination is fantastic and every time she gets the better of someone - like Mina's later characters Paddy and Alex - you've got to cheer her on.
Asadie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about some plot twists!! It took me a while to read this book because I was a little busy but I read the last 100 pages so quick and they were the best. I loved the justice in the end, pretty poetic to me. More pleased with the way this ended than with the way Exile ended.
Craig Todd
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent end to the Garnethill trilogy, with all, or most, issues resolved, and a fit end for all the characters of the 3 books. Denise Mina has never disappointed in any of her books and I look forward to reading more from her in the future.
Renée Mee
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Not written as tightly as first two books of this series. Not as satisfying a read. Felt characters were not as grounded as previous two books if you can call any of these dysfunctional characters grounded.
Lynn
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not for the squeamish or the scrupulous. Gotta give stars for this writer's unflinching look at flawed characters in dysfunctional families in unjust societies. Plot is twisty enough, book too long, détails abundant. But I think I'm done with this author. Gonna take awhile to get the stink out.
Hans
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Solid, earned conclusion to Denise Mina's Garnethill trilogy. By this third volume, Maureen's life is feeling more and more claustrophobic. The lingering arcs from the previous books seamlessly blend into another story arc. Looking forward to exploring more of Mina's work!
Debbie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than I thought this was going to be. Main characters are pretty ordinary people, that due to circumstances find themselves in the middle of odd goings on.
Will look for others from this author
Ish Chu
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gaynor Torrance
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thorougly gripping. Yet another tense chapter in Maureen's life. A fitting and satisfying end to this series.
  • The Bullet Trick
  • The Twilight Time (Anna Cameron #1)
  • Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Paying for It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Set in Darkness (Inspector Rebus, #11)
  • The Death Chamber
  • Piece of My Heart (Inspector Banks, #16)
  • The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2)
  • Be My Enemy  (Jack Parlabane, #4)
  • Hard Light (Cass Neary, #3)
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • The Shape of Snakes
  • Mappa Mundi
  • The Take (DI Joe Faraday, #2)
  • A Question of Guilt (Helen West, #1)
  • Out the Window (A Matthew Scudder Story)
Denise Mina was born in Glasgow in 1966. Because of her father's job as an Engineer, the family followed the north sea oil boom of the seventies around Europe
She left school at sixteen and did a number of poorly paid jobs, including working in a meat factory, as a bar maid, kitchen porter and cook.
Eventually she settled in auxiliary nursing for geriatric and terminal care patients.
At twenty one sh

Garnethill (3 books)
  • Garnethill (Garnethill #1)
  • Exile (Garnethill, #2)