Start by marking “Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science” as Want to Read:
Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This is the second edition of John Zelle's Python Programming, updated for Python 3. This book is designed to be used as the primary textbook in a college-level first course in computing. It takes a fairly traditional approach, emphasizing problem solving, design, and programming as the core skills of computer science. However, these ideas are illustrated using a non-tradi ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 514 pages
Published May 7th 2010 by Franklin Beedle & Associates (first published December 2003)

Shayan Kh
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This was one of the best books for beginner programmers I've seen. First, it is not a Python introduction book, it is a programming introduction book. There is a huge difference between the two. Many books targeted at beginners don't take into account that some concepts are hard to grasp and miss some crucial explanation with the examples they give. Not this one.
Zelle introduces hard concepts at a good pace and has nice examples to go with them. And he also introduces Computer Scie
Alpha
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
The book serves two purposes: an introduction to computer science, and an introduction to Python as the first programming language.

It's easy to read because of its plain English, medium length (500 pages), well outlined chapters and sections.

It would be a nice textbook for liberal arts major undergraduate or high school students, a little bit shallow for serious computer software programmers.

The typeset is shabby. Font size shall be reduced to 11pt or 10pt. Diagrams shall be drawn in a consiste
Peter Anderson
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Shame it only covers Python 2. I think there is a Python 3 version out now but not sure. A very good teaching and reference book.
Gres Grimes
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This introductory book served me quite well as a 'first' in computer science. Would recommend for anyone entering the field. Not only do I find Python to be a suitable/easy-to-grasp first language, but the author attempts to cover various introductory problems/concepts in what I found to be a rather digestible manner.

They also include a simple library for doing some GUI programming, though it is in my opinion that they did this only to seem "fun" while introducing OO. There's nothing wrong with
Will
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book as an introduction to Computer Science. It is not meant to teach Python as much as it is to introduce concepts that can be applied to any language you may decide to pursue. The use of Python is advantageous because of its relative ease for new programmers and its intuitive syntax. After learning these basics, I have had a much easier time dipping my toes into other languages. A fantastic read if you want to learn the basics of Computer Science as it is written in an un ...more
Barry
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you think that this book can teach you to program with Python, you are going to be disappointed. This book teaches about computer science with Python, not how to program with Python. I think John Zelle either needs to start a new line of work or go back to the computer programming classroom, learn how to program with Python, and write a real instruction book on how to program with Python because he is another mediocre amateur.
Casey Chen
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very useful. I took Python as an introductory programming course at college. This book was a great resource for homework assignments and projects. Instructions and code were very clear and concise, and I enjoyed making my own way through the book, playing with Python outside of class time.
Steve
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the required textbook for the first two introductory courses to computer science at Dixie State College of Utah. C++ used to be taught in the introductory courses, but Python is supposed be easier to learn than C++ for people who have never programmed before.
Christopher Eckman
This could actually be a really good book for a person just learning to program. It is not really a book for someone who is an intermediate programmer or better.
Amy
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helped me out for the start of Uni :)
Hamilton Carvalho
Best introductory book on Python in the market.
Alec Justice
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This books serves more as a introduction to programming concepts, with Python being used as its medium.
Gottfried Sam
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
A great refresher and introduction for Python programming.
Tom Meyer
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very readable, fun projects, and an excellent index.
Joshua Goller
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book - I learned Python with this book during my 'Introduction to Computer Science' class.
Vivek
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • Windows® Internals, Part 1: Covering Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows 7
  • Think Python
  • Core Python Programming
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures Using Python
  • Think Like a Programmer: An Introduction to Creative Problem Solving
  • The Quick Python Book
  • The Elements of Computing Systems: Building a Modern Computer from First Principles
  • JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
  • Computer Networks: A Systems Approach
  • Learn to Program
  • Learning Python
  • An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »