Start by marking “Not Guilty” as Want to Read:
Not Guilty

Not Guilty

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
When Keely Bennett's world is shattered by the suicide of her beloved husband, Richard, she and her nine-year-old son Dylan have to start over. Her late husband's childhood friend, Mark Weaver, helps Keely settle Richard's affairs and sweeps her into a whirlwind romance -- and eventually a comfortable suburban lifestyle that includes marriage and a beautiful baby girl. The ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Atria Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Not Guilty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Guilty

Cheryl Mcintosh
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
I'm having trouble connecting with the protagonist. She acts like The current event is something everybody has occur to them. I really don't like Dylan so far. Although this book did become interesting still wasn't one of my favorites. I felt that the characterization of Dylan could've been better defined. If she would've somehow made him seem like a good kid it would've been easier to connect to him. There wasn't any previous stories about him to make you connect to him. I really didn't like th ...more
Jen
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Keely's 1st husband committs suicide and she finds her 8 year old boy next to his body.
Keely then gets remarried to a husband that her boy is not fond of.
Next thing you know her 2nd husband is dead too.
Could her boy have caused both of these deaths?
Or is there someone out to get revenge on Keely?
A good book that kept me flipping the pages.
I wish the end would have been a little better.
Jessica
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get this book read but life slowed down so I could get back to reading. I really enjoyed this book. At first I struggled to get interested but then the story started to get interesting. Didn't really expect the end though.
Dawn
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Weak female lead
Julie
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wom-challenge
Not Guilty by Patricia MacDonald is a 2002 release published by Pocket Books.

Keely's first husband Richard committed suicide after suffering with migraine headaches to the point of agony. Richard's long time friend, Mark arrives and works with Keely to get an insurance settlement for her and her young son, Dylan.
Keely and Mark fall in love and marry, then have a daughter. Life should be perfect for Keely, but Dylan is withdrawn, moody, and defiant. Then the worst nightmare Keely could imagine h
Carl Brookins
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
There are certain facts readers need to know about Keely Bennett. She taught American Literature in high school and was the advisor to the yearbook club. Then her husband commits suicide in a rather messy way and he is found by the couple’s young son. After that, the story gets really dark and messy. I’ll admit right up front that I am put off by authors who feel they have to search for synonyms for “said” in order to make dramatic points and who use a lot of italics for the same reason. For tho ...more
Kat
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Diane
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book, got me interested from page 1, but was very contrived. It led you to believe that the cards were stacked against one person, and then switched that person again & again until the ending, which was totally unexpected and almost unrealistic in my view. But if you like mysteries I would recommend it, and I will probably look for more by this author.
Kristin Williams
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I'd ever read of hers and I loved it!! I never wanted to put the book down!! I've actually read the book twice, and it was obviously better the first time around, but I still enjoyed it the second time around! The bad guy is not who you expect!! Very cleverly written with a wonderful twist!
Sue
Nov 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: aarf-yuck-ugh
ugh. I refuse to read a book that OVER-uses the protagonist's names. Keely or Dylan, Dylan, Keely, Dylan . . . Keely, sometimes 5-10 times on every.single.page. Did someone not notice this?? ugh ugh ugh barf
Sherry
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First book by this author, and I LOVED it. One of those books that you just couldn't wait to get back into, or never wanted to put down. I will be reading more of her!
Marcie
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good murder mystery. Kept me guessing til the end.
April Jones
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read kept me guessing till the end
The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bonus-books
Bonus Book ~ July 2015
Susan
Dec 05, 2011 added it
Easy read. Interesting story line.
Tami
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good read, I've reguessed the ending 3 times.
Mary
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good storyline
Recommended to Mary by: daughter
I haven't read a Patricia MacDonald in a long time and I wasn't disappointed. Very good book, kept me reading until the early morning.
Julie Alderson
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those unputdownable plane-reading books ! Vive les vacances !
Dawn
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel.
Recommended to Dawn by: I always read Patricia MacDonald's books.
Very good suspense book. I was very surprised on who the murderer was. Patricia MacDonald is an author who I have been reading for many years. I always enjoy her books.
Jackie Simons
Read 3/08
Joanie
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
what a page-turner! didn't know who the killer was til the very end!
Rebecca Young
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It is full of mystery and intrigue but also shows the love a parent has for her child.
Susan  Murphree
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
GREAT!! I started reading & could not stop it was so good
Jobin
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Psychologically preferable especially unimaginable kind of love a mother can give to his children. Must read for parents and soon to be parents.
Darla Lau
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting, would read more of her work
Alanna
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Good read. I thought I had it figured out a couple times and then there was a twist. Always love a good twist! I couldn't wait to finish it to find out what happened and who did it.
Bette
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not exactly a gripping , nail- biting mystery. More like a who- done - it / harlequin read.. It was a page turner because I just wanted to be finished reading it.
Julie
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Patricia MacDonald's books are so suspenseful, I can hardly put the down. This one was no exception.
Greg
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great read and it sure did keep you guessing until the end. I was supposed to get back to work after lunch but I had to finish reading the last 6 chapters. Well done!
Krystle Kouture
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even if you think you know "who dun it" you're probably wrong. Beautifully paced plot, couldn't put it down. The characters were a little forced/unreal for my taste though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • Falls the Shadow (Victor Carl, #5)
  • The Cairo Diary
  • The Final Kill
  • Motion to Dismiss (Kali O'Brien, #3)
  • Now You Die
  • Bad Behavior
  • The Echo of Violence (Sweet Justice, #3)
  • Without Consent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #2)
  • Dark and Deadly
  • Cut to the Quick (Nan Vining Mysteries, #2)
  • Blind Curve

Patricia MacDonald is the author of several psychological suspense novels set in small towns. MacDonald grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut and has a master's degree from Boston College. Before writing her own novels she was a book editor and was once an editor for a soap opera magazine in New York. She is marri
More about Patricia MacDonald...