Start by marking “Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens” as Want to Read:

A practical, everything-you-need-to-know guide to keeping chickens for people who are as interested in them as pets as they are in eggs and other poultry produce.
Published April 5th 2007 by David & Charles Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Chickens

Linda
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is surprisingly entertaining, especially since there is NO WAY I am going to be keeping chickens any time soon. Chickens require accommodations other than an apartment building with no yard. Still, one can live vicariously, and the pictures of all the different breeds of chickens make me strangely happy.
Courtney
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, g-gardening, l-i-own
Written in UK - so not a lot of detail on breeds common in the US and the US climate. Nice pictures.
Fran
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful photos, lots of stuff I didn't know.
Phair
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I "inherited" two Aracauna hens, the 'easter-egg' chickens, to add to my little duck & goose family, I looked in a bunch of chicken books at the library to see how their care would differ from my waterfowl routine. Of them all I liked this book best. Colorful & helpful illustrations, practical advice, clearly divided into useful topical chapters- even a section on crafting and cooking with eggs. I will definitely buy a copy of this for my home reference shelf. I'm now rapidly getti ...more
Phaedra
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had beautiful pictures of all types of roosters and chickens. I found it a little boring at times, because, it was more of just an information book. The style of writing just didn't appeal to me. The section about all the different breeds was the most helpful. This book explained when you are ready to get chickens and great breeds to start with. This book is recommended to all people getting chickens for the first time.
Leslie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
A starter book, suitable for middle school to adult reader with little or no experience with animals. Has some recipes and crafts that I added to my ever-growing file of what to do with eggs. Doesn't gloss over the downside of keeping chickens, including the trauma of causing accidental deaths of vulnerable chicks. I lowered the rating for this book due to its guidance toward total reliance on commercial feed.
Mary
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2010

Chicken Feed
I would give this book a 5 if it included recipes for chicken feed. Instead it says to buy feed because it is too complicated to make. Not.

Chicken Tractor
The most helpful part of the book is about building a chicken tractor (pages 57-62) that will house four bantams, three standard-size chickens, or two heavy breeds.
Cat
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great chicken book! I liked the way they talked about the different breeds and found the comments helped in choosing a breed and knowing which one makes a good family laying chicken. This one is the best yet I think.
C.A. Young
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. Lots of good, but basic info. Also geared toward readers in the United Kingdom, so those of us here in the US will need to do some additional research. Still, not a bad primer, and the section on different chicken breeds is fantastic.
Melissa
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lots of good info on chickens along with very good pictures.
Debbie
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very helpful for my newest hobby.
Lisa
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just getting ready for next year! Ok info
Linda D.
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for beginners. I can't wait to get my first hens!
Dan
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Basically informative with beautiful pictures. Not enough detail to be a huge help, but plenty of facts and tidbits.
Mary
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
2007

There is a 2010 edition that I have been been unable to locate.

Good pictures of different types of chicken houses.
katie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is just what I was looking for. It provides useful information about caring for chickens. There is a bit of information that I found useless, but still a great chicken resource.
Karen
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but I think there would be more coverage out there in others. Kind of like a kid's book in a way.
Mike
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A basic overview, not a sole source of information. Each subject is glossed over without enough detail. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting chickens had I only this book as preparation.
Shawna
This book tells you how to care for chickens. There are a lot of pictures, which I really like.
christopher
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: farmers, hippies
Shelves: how-to
soooo many different types of chickens!
Emily
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
helpful. covers lots of information and has good pictures
MJ
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, chickens
Lots of pictures, lots of practical information.
Cheryl D
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Great photos and a good variety of birds described.
Meryl
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
The chapter on breed selection was nice. I found the notations about which birds were good for beginners useful.
Audrey
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: local-economies
Who knew - there are at least six different kinds of combs and waddles!
Jennifer Miera
Even contains some egg crafts and recipes. Great pictures. Not very extensive on information on chicken raising. But I might consider buying just for the great pics.
Randine
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow - if you're thinking about chickens this is the bomb. Lots of good pictures too.
Carole
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's just like the title says; gives you a good idea about how to "keep chickens" with the benefits and drawbacks clearly defined. Beautiful pictures of several varieties of chickens.
Lydia Graham
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the basic advice you need when first buying chickens. My 9 year old has also read the book and loved it
Matt
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Keep Chickens!: Tending Small Flocks in Cities, Suburbs, and Other Small Spaces
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock
  • Raising Chickens for Dummies
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Greenhouse Gardener's Companion, Revised: Growing Food  Flowers in Your Greenhouse or Sunspace
  • City Farmer: Adventures in Urban Food Growing
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • A Nation of Farmers: Defeating the Food Crisis on American Soil
  • Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn, First Edition: A Project by Fritz Haeg
  • Permaculture Two: Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent Agriculture
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • The Joy of Keeping Chickens: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Poultry for Fun or Profit