Start by marking “Secret Matter” as Want to Read:
Secret Matter

Secret Matter

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The winner of a Lambda Literary Award for Gay Men's Science Fiction and bestselling novel, Secret Matter returns to print in a revised edition for the 21st century.

Kevin Anderson is moving along through his life, finishing up college, and getting ready to leave New York for an internship rebuilding San Francisco after an immense earthquake.
Then the Visitors arrive; a rac
Published November 1st 2005 by Lethe Press (first published July 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Matter

LutaWolf
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, nook-lendable
Okay nobody hit me with eggs but I really didn't get into this. It was slow and not connected. So many different points of view that read like a newspaper rather than you falling into a story and connecting. I got the idealism and the message but it's not a well told story. The plot just didn't do it for me. It might possibly be that I'm not into Christian based religious books. I felt more like this story was built more for the author to express their views of how the bible should be taken. How ...more
Benjamin
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-sci-fi
In the near future, Kevin Anderson is about to graduate, leave New York and move to San Francisco to start his first job as a young architect helping to rebuild the city recently all but destroyed in the recent earthquake. Just before his departure his old room-mate tries to get him to come to terms with being gay, but Kevin continues to live in denial. However events will force a change of heart soon after his arrival in San Francisco.

Recently the Visitors arrived landing in major cities throu
Andune
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-gay-fiction
Secret Matter is a science fiction novel with a romantic and comedic streak. It centers on the story of a young architect, Kevin Anderson, who comes into contact with the Visitors from a parallel Earth. The story has many insightful dialogues on human nature and the author handles the construction of an alternate world with fluidity.

My only setback with this novel was that towards the end I began to feel like the book was lecturing me and the metaphysical concepts felt a little forced into the
David
This would make a great 80s television show. The characters are simple, the love story between a nonHuman Visitor and a fresh college grad, is pure and innocent, and this love affair saves life on two PLANETS! It is exuberant and super quick but totally superficial.
Stephen Poltz
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. It’s about acceptance and denial, love and fear, and first contact. It was first published in 1990 and described a gay young man’s journey to self-acceptance through a relationship with an alien. Since it was a near future story, the author updated the book for the twenty-first century. It won the Lambda Literary Award for Gay SF/Fantasy in 1991. I thoroughly enjoyed the book even though the beginning seemed to drag a little.

Come visit my blog for the full review…
Furio
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, gay-romance, gay-sf
My personal problem with this book is that I cannot relate with the two main characters.
The religion-inspired soul-tearing guilts that torment young innocent Kevin are as far from my background as the blinding perfection of sweet-natured, understanding, sincere 'Bel.

It is my problem of course but I also think that such a conflict as Kevin experiences is, fictionally speaking, somewhat obsolete and perhaps only poignant for gay youngsters belonging to certain religious communities.

It is not my wi
Scott Matthew
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Joe Scholes
Dec 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
A third of the way through, and I just got bored with it. The main character deals with his own repressed homosexuality while getting romantically involved with an alien from space! The book was written long ago when it was almost obligatory to stay in the closet, so the main character's introspection and growth are pertinent to the time period in which it was written. Delivery wrapped in a sci-fi story was a clever way to get the real issue out where it could be openly examined, and possibly se ...more
Toni (U.A.C.)
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a little slow going reading this. The pace was almost too slow for me, but it was good nonetheless. I was glad that I didn’t give up on it and continued to finish. I especially liked the ending…it was a beautiful, thought provoking ending. It can’t help but inspire “what if’s”.
Bill
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who can read
A brilliant conflation of quantum physics, socialogy, religion and sexuality in a seemingly 1st contact science fiction novel.
Nick
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel and I can't wait to buy the revised edition to see what the author has changed! I've read and re-read this book many times.
Claudia Luis
Jay Johnson
Jun 08, 2014
M.D.
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, but I had very mixed feelings about it before I finally broke down and got it (gifts cards are a great motivator). I finally got it and I was pleasantly surprised. This is by no means a heavy (or heady) book it is fun and easy to read. Yes it's a little dated (even with the updated edited version) and of course the characters are all young and beautiful. But what I liked most about the book is the mirror it forces you to look at. Suppose an al ...more
Coty