Start by marking “Understanding Second Language Acquisition” as Want to Read:
Understanding Second Language Acquisition

Understanding Second Language Acquisition

Whether we grow up with one, two, or several languages during our early years of life, many of us will learn a second, foreign, or heritage language in later years. The field of Second language acquisition (SLA, for short) investigates the human capacity to learn additional languages in late childhood, adolescence, or adulthood, after the first language --in the case of ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Routledge (first published January 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Second Language Acquisition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Second Language Acquisition

Start your review of Understanding Second Language Acquisition
Merry Packard Gravett
This was such a good book about acquisition. I think that it might have made me much more interested in being a researcher, rather than just a teacher.
Daniel Myers
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I read several other books in the Understanding Language Series for my major in Linguistics, but this one seems more dense than the others. I found the examples provided weren't explained very well. Rather, they were just given and the reader is allowed to make of it what they will. A standard format for this book is to give a term, a vague definition, and then an example with no explanation of how the term is exemplified by the example. Sometimes it can be obvious, but large sections of the ...more
Camden Underwood
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent intro to the study of SLA. It's theory-heavy, but not practice-oriented, so folks hoping to teach a second language might want to use this text to build up academic knowledge, then supplement with a text like "50 Strategies for Teaching a Second Language."
Michael A
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would agree with the others here. This is actually pretty informative and comprehensive about second language acquisition. It covers a balance of the important theories and research studies related to each topic it addresses in its ten chapters. And it covers a lot in those ten chapters -- everything from interlanguage development, to age effects, to cognitive processing theories, to motivation, and socialization theories.

Despite my dislike of SLA in some of its facets, this is consequently a
Shunsuke Matsui
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Routledge
time=12/22/2012=100minutes, 12/23=60minutes
7word summary second language acquisition native target bilingual education
Discussion Question
1,What do you think about second language acquisition?
It is imperative for English teachers!
2,Do you like to learn languages?
Yes, I would like to use them which I remembered

I strongly reccomend you to read it. You need to know knowleage about this study if you want to be a great English teacher.
Abigail
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: academic
I read this for class and it gives a detailed view of the SLA field and some current questions being explored. Highly technically but does have some examples to aid comprehension. We were assigned chapters out of order, but I would recommend not skipping around, as the chapters do refer to previous explanations.
Mamoizelle Nancy
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-stuff
One of the best textbook of my university career. Well-written, descriptive, full of external sources but not heavy and difficult. Good balance of relevant information, length of chapters, insight on what is discussed in the field. The 1st textbook I will read from cover to cover.
Shelby Werner Thayne
This may have been the best textbook I have had in the field of ESL/TESOL. The chapters were dense, but accessible and incredibly informative. I will keep this and use it as a reference for the rest of my career.
Ruth

• Language Death
  • Bosh! The Healthy Vegan Diet
  • English as a Global Language
  • Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
  • Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease
  • A Journey to the New World: The Diary of Remember Patience Whipple, Mayflower, 1620 (Dear America)
  • Action Research: A Guide for the Teacher Researcher
  • A Long Time Gone
  • Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady, R.M.S. Titanic, 1912 (Dear America)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • On the Road
  • A Room with a View
  • Wrong About Japan
  • Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the History of the World
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 15: Includes vols. 43, 44  45