Start by marking “Speech and Language Processing” as Want to Read:
Speech and Language Processing

Speech and Language Processing

For undergraduate or advanced undergraduate courses in Classical Natural Language Processing, Statistical Natural Language Processing, Speech Recognition, Computational Linguistics, and Human Language Processing. An explosion of Web-based language techniques, merging of distinct fields, availability of phone-based dialogue systems, and much more make this an exciting time ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 988 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Pearson Prentice Hall (first published January 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Speech and Language Processing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speech and Language Processing

Start your review of Speech and Language Processing
Robert Muller
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book comprehensive but incomprehensible, primarily because of the lack of real-world examples. It would benefit from a series of programming exercises with training sets made available through a web site. This would tie the extremely abstract algorithms to technology and data. If you are a strong computer scientist with lots of experience in abstract algorithms, this book should give you what you need. If you are interested in producing real-world software systems to do serious spee ...more
Huyen Chip
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fundamental and useful book. Would highly recommend for anyone interested in Natural Language Processing.
Marshall
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jurafsky provides a solid foundational knowledge for computational linguistic - it introduces linguistics, computer science and statistics at comprehensive depth.

Some of the major concepts for anybody who wants to know about computational linguistic.

Language Model: the book introduces basic models and algorithms evolved around linguistics. There are two major approaches: 1) statistics-based parsing 2) linguistic-based parsing. In practice, most models are built with mixture of both.

Part-of-Spee
Fen Trias
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book's reputation as a classic NLP text is well deserved. Numerous diagrams, illustrations, and explanations helped me to understand this bewildering subject. Because this is an academic text book, there are many equations, but few practical examples. For down-and-dirty examples, you might be better served with internet tutorials or the O'Reilly book. But if you want to understand why things work they way they do, this book is great.
Alex Ott
Very interesting & useful book for everybody who is interested in natural language processing. I read it when I took online NLP class from prof. Jurafsky at Coursera, and found many interesting things there.
I really didn't read it completely, for example, I omitted the speech recognition part, but I plan to return to this book in the near future...
Dipika Desaboyina
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
I haven't read this book cover to cover but it's always on my desk and I find myself referring to it at least once a day, and in that, I believe I probably read most of its contents. This is a fundamental reference book for any computational linguist, speech scientist or language data scientist. The explanations and illustrations are very intuitive and not at all boring.
Ariel Littlemermaid
An all-inclusive, encylopedic-like textbook on linguistics with an emphasis on the latest developments on speech and language recognition (e.g. computational linguistics, machine translation). I liked the detailed descriptions of various linguistic terms (e.g. prepositions, postpositions, syntactic parsing etc.) and the meticulous summarisation of almost each paragraph on the left margins, but I didn't particularly like/could not follow/could not understand the extensive algebraic fractions and ...more
Angel Arturo
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robotics, ai, favorites
The holy grail of Natural Language Processing. Includes state of the art algorithms and delves into subjects such as machine learning in detail despite not being it's main focus. It also includes plenty of automata theory which is it's basis for many of the algorithms presented.

Not an easy book by any means and if I had any complaint, is that it's extremely verbose and at the same time extremely technical. So in depth understanding of automata and math is required.

Definitely to read again.
Daniel Smith
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the words of one of my coworkers "That book is awesome!"

I first read this book in 2011 as a grad student, and still return to this resource on a weekly basis! Fantastic overview of NLP techniques.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd edition.
Leonardo
Dec 05, 2018 marked it as considering  ·  review of another edition
Recomendado en Natural Language Processing with Python como un texto más avanzado. ...more
Aesha Moallim
This book was a big help to understand and introduce to the speech recognition for the natural language processing project I was working on it.
Olga Ivina
Roughly read.
Emmi
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This book is good for fundamental understanding of NLP. But some area is not explained well here.
Jesús Navarro
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of different problems and methods in NLP. Gives a good sense of what the challenges are and the different existing areas under the NLP umbrella.
Samars
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible.
bartosz
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After some research on NLP related resources, I decided to buy Speech and Language Processing by Daniel Jurafsky & James H. Martin.

It is quite the door stopper.

As usual when buying a textbook, I hoped the book would serve as an introduction, when reading it for the first time, and as a reference for later. Having just finished it, I will only speak about the qualities of the book as an introductory text.

Let me get the obvious out of the way: the book is massive. Yet due to the broad scope I fo
Bill
May 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: computational linguists
Highlights of this book are a good intuitive description of smoothing and an excellent exposition on the Early parser...This book and Foundations of Statistical Natural Language Processing by Christopher D. Manning and Hinrich Schütze are the standard textbooks in natural language processing. For my money, Manning and Schütze is the better book--I find the exposition clearer and the math more rigorous--but Jurafsky and Martin covers more ground and assumes slightly less mathematical backgro ...more
David
This and Foundations of Statistical Natural Language Processing by Manning and Schutze are the two big introductory texts in natural language processing. I prefer the Jurafsky book; it goes into more detail, has more examples, and is written more for use as a class text. Make sure you get the second edition, though.
Erin
Oct 08, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in computational linguistics
Shelves: textbooks
This is a good introduction to all the major topics of computational linguistics, which includes automatic speech recognition and processing, machine translation, information extraction, and statistical methods of linguistic analysis, among other things.
Liuyang Li
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My professor chose this as the text book for our computational linguistic course. The book covers all aspects that we discussed in a semester and gives excellent intuitive explanations as well formal derivations. I loved the course and the book
Carl-Erik Kopseng
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faglitteratur
One of the better computer science titles I have read. Comprehensive and contains enough info on everything to give you a good basic understanding. As little bit of math is required for understanding, but it is a science book after all :-)
Mason
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is good. the authors occasionally ramble about simultaneous discovery in science, which i didn't find interesting, but that stuff is infrequent and easily ignored. overall, it's awesome.
Tarek Amr
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very comprehensive.
Frank Palardy
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used this for my thesis.
Dolunay

• Digital Image Processing
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety
  • "What Do You Care What Other People Think?": Further Adventures of a Curious Character
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • The Hidden Girl and Other Stories
  • SPEECH AND LANGUAGE PROCESSING AN INTRODUCTION TO NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING, 2ND EDITION

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Dan Jurafsky is the recipient of a MacArthur "Genius Grant" and a professor of linguistics at Stanford University. He and his wife live in San Francisco.

News & Interviews