Start by marking “Getting Over It” as Want to Read:
Getting Over It

Getting Over It

Helen Bradshaw, 26, has a lot to get over. A dogsbody job on a women's magazine. An attraction to unsuitable men. Being five foot one. Driving an elderly Toyota.

She is about to ditch the infuriating Jasper when she hears the news that will change her life. Her father has collapsed with a massive heart attack. Initially Helen thinks of this as an interruption in
Published April 6th 2000 by Arrow (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Over It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Over It

Obsidian
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this in between Halloween reads last week and just forgot to update and publish a review. " I used to really love Anna Maxted. She was one of my go to chick lit authors. Then she disappeared and I fell into like/love with other authors. I think that "Running in Heels" was interesting though on a re-read I realized how problematic it was. The same thing happened with "Getting Over It." It used to be a favorite, but I realized that the main character (Helen) is a jerk to her friends and to ...more
Jill Manske
This is the second Maxted book I've read and I'm seeing a pattern - or is it a formula? Selfish, self-absorbed, shallow working girl from a very dysfunctional family tries to sort out her love life, stumbling through several inappropriate relationships and alienating "her true love" until he sees through her snarky exterior to the potential within and they go off happily ever after. Hmmmph. It was ok for the first book. But to repeat the formula is like eating leftovers, not as good the second t ...more
Gergana
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave four to this book for the great British humor which made me laugh not only once. It was a relaxing read, which will probably not be remembered for long though. A perfect girlish novel, no doubt. I might take another book of A. Maxted when I need an easy-going, and not engaging story to read. I think that many of us can find some similarities with the personality of Helen Bradshaw. It's interesting to encounter all her fears, thoughts, mistakes etc and learn from them- get over them. The d ...more
Becca
Jan 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book at all. From reading the summary I thought it would be an enjoyable read but I was wrong. The plot disappointed me. It was blan and boring. I fell asleep every time I tried reading it. It was not humorous what so ever. One thing that was okay with this book is all the problems Helen goes through. Helen is the protagonist in the story. Her life is so complicated and hard to deal with. She deals with a getting rid of an AWFUL boyfriend, her fathers death, lacking ambition ...more
Kim
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Anna Maxted's! I really enjoy her clever wit and ability to express in words some of the feelings that we all share, but don't know how to articulate. She writes of real life and while I'm assuming that the primary audience for her books would be women in their 20s and 30s, I do think there is the potential for broad appeal. I feel like I grew up with her and I am always looking forward to her next book!
Handolf
"But faint lady never won fair knight. Well actually she always won fair knight, but these days knights are lazier and ladies more proactive. "

I like how this book is not a sugar-coated romance. Helen continues to pursue Tom despite the ups and downs of the relationship. I admire her courage for not giving up on it and keep trying. The quote above basically explains the character of Helen.

The author also depicted the grief process of a person really well. The five stages
Romantical Skeptic
The full review is at: http://theromanticalskeptic.blogspot....

I struggled with this. 4 hearts because it was hilariously funny and there was a LOT going on (death in the family, serious trouble in a close friend's life, many hits and misses with some foolish men, anxiety at work, tumult with roommates, a sick cat at home)? Or 3 because the heroine acts like a serious wanker in every single one of her dealings with the hero and through all the other challenges in her life. Methinks 3.

She: A 26-year old lowly emplo
Natalie
I enjoyed this book immensely. The main character draws you right in and it had lots of dramatic twists and empathetic characters. It almost seemed too close to life, the kind of relationship drama and little things that can cause misunderstandings. It is for that reason I am keeping it at 3 stars. I really liked it but the characters weren't uplifting- just human! Full disclosure I read it in my hostel and 40 pages had been ripped out so I may revise later.
Krystal
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
I've been working on reading this book for (what is for me) a long time. I begin reading a couple of pages, become disappointed and put it down again for a later time. I have finally just begun to get over the rough beginning, and am seeing this as an enjoyable read....

It was a ho hum book, although I did laugh out loud at some of the humor...very cheeky, as the heroine would say. I love Brit chick lit, just not overly fond of this one.
SF_Reads (Mod)
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for a beachy read
Enjoyable typical chiclit read. Girl meets love of her life, messes it up several times, but in th end it all works out ok. The characters are likeable and fairly believable. The author sets the typical storyline in the unusual setting of a 20something girl mourning the loss of her distant father. I got annoyed that around chapter 35 the main character suddenly became aware that she was playing to an audience but on the whole an enjoyable, if fluffy, read.
Jessica Perez-Beardsley
One of the funniest books I have ever read. I had picked this up after my own mom passed away and it was literally scary how much I was feeling exactly what was written. It was as if someone had written about my life! I really laughed out loud with this one. This is the book that started my journey with reading everything on the list that Anna Maxted had written. Has not been a disappointing journey at all!
MB (What she read)
I read this book many years ago. There's one scene that I've never forgotten; the one where she mourns her father by burning red candles and paper memories.

Anna Maxted, like Marian Keyes, writes chick lit with depth.
Donna
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun.. Easy read, some parts laugh out loud funny... Definitely chick lit and just what I needed.. I enjoyed it very much and found myself rooting for Helen..
Nov 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this is the second time I gave Anna Maxted a chance, and only because it was free, and my friend said it was a silly but funny read. I didn't find that to be the case. The characters are so annoying and unlikable that I finally couldn't stand to spend any more time with them and quit halfway through. I have enjoyed books with unlikable characters doing interesting things, or likable characters doing boring things, but I couldn't hang with unlikable characters doing boring, stupid things.
Bonnie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this is a Pecan Sandies of a book: you can't help liking it and finishing it, even if you feel slightly sick after eating the whole box. Maxted is sometimes (though not always) very funny, and you care about her characters (even if they are a bit cartoonish), and some parts are unexpectedly moving. So take it on a long flight and do not feel guilty. That is what long flights are for. You can read Jane Austen when you get home.
Jamie Cha
This book is fairly predictable. Sometimes, a happy ending is reassuring. The characters aren't very complex. Somehow, you still care about the people and the relationships.

Lonliness, death, and appearances are major topics of the book. The main character is goofy, immature but still likeable.
Tina
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, chick-lit, romance
This was my first Anna Maxted novel, and will likely be my last. While the story was okay, it prattled on forever, recycling the same events. I also wanted to kick most of the characters at one point or another; never a good sign. It failed to live up to the hype for me. Not recommended
Inderpal
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hated the protag. What an annoying, immature, dislikable person! Yet loved the entirety of the book.
Granted, some parts were unnecessary, but they can be looked over!
Read it for it's warmth and wit, not the story. ^_^
Nina Gordon
Fairly predictable British chick-lit, with a little more depth than most because of the sub-plot about dealing with the death of a parent. Good read for a plane ride or a beach vacation.
Sabra
May 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, just ugh. Sorry, this was just awful
Rachelle
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
3.5 stars. This book has its high points, but drags on forever without actually going anywhere, endlessly cycling through the same issues over and over.
Catherine
Fun!
Joanne
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Realized I just wasn't enjoying the characters or the humor. Called in quits not even a quarter of the way in.
Saf
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

The story and the characters were hilarious, and the writing was amazing! Had a good laugh.
Thank you Anna Maxted for this amazing book!
Christine Bibro
Funny, touching, insightful.
Purple Iris
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I did not love this one. The main character was a little too dumb and other characters were a bit too caricaturale. The thing with Tina is one example. The story line would have been stronger if she had been more developed as a chaarcter. Marian Keyes tackled it much better in This Charming Man. Lots of bodily functions and references to excretions. I mean, obviously they're part of life, but they appear often enough in this book that I noticed. Not sure I need a description of when a characters digs up his nose ...more
Kayla
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you love reading. can't resist the ultimate world of thought this book is giving. Enjoyed reading. One regret is, a keen reader like me demand something more original.
Elusive
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
‘Getting Over It’ is primarily about dealing with the death of a loved one. Helen finds it difficult to move on after her father’s sudden death despite never really being close to him. However, she isn’t able to fully express her feelings about it.

I’d expected a light read with the theme of death as the foreground but it was actually a major part of the story. The author handled the topic realistically, showing how Helen focuses on caring for her mother and in the process, ends up ne
Kelly
Okay it is chick lit and I will still admit that I recently read it. It is very much like revisiting Bridget Jones and I am sure that I won't remember the characters' names and all of it in a year or so but I will remember that it was funny and I enjoyed it.

About a British 20-something looking for love and she is a little goofy and a little unorganized but very likeable. Book tackles a couple serious issues but still overall a happy book. My favorite line from the book is when the heroine is de
Gracie Fuller
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me realize that I love authors with a sense of humor. It totally changed my genre interest and I'm thankful because I read more light hearted books now. Such a sweet escape.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Does She or Doesn't She?
  • See Jane Date
  • Thirtynothing
  • Dog Handling
  • Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field
  • Come Together (Jack & Amy, #1)
  • Fishbowl
  • Asking for Trouble
  • An Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • Fourplay
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • The Next Big Thing
  • With or Without You
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • Just Friends
  • Amanda's Wedding
  • The Girlfriend Curse
Anna Maxted is a bestselling author based in North London, England. Born in 1969, she is married to fellow author and journalist Philip Robinson and they have three young sons. She writes female contemporary fiction which is viewed to be at the high end of the chick lit market. Anna Maxted read English Literature at Girton College, Cambridge, before becoming a journalist. She is former Assistant E ...more
“...When I look back on my life's greatest traumas...I see that each one has something in common. No matter how life-shattering they felt at the time, there was an end to them.” 24 likes
“We sit in silence, drinking hot chocolate and contemplating the act that death is a monstrous affront to the living and shouldn't be allowed.” 6 likes