Start by marking “UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook” as Want to Read:
UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook

UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook

"As an author, editor, and publisher, I never paid much attention to the competition-except in a few cases. This is one of those cases. The UNIX System Administration Handbook is one of the few books we ever measured ourselves against." -From the Foreword by Tim O'Reilly, founder of O'Reilly Media "This book is fun and functional as a desktop reference. If you use UNIX ...more
ebook, Fourth Edition, 1327 pages
Published 2014 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 2010)

Start your review of UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook
Malcolm
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So you have to work with UNIX, huh?

Get this book. Shhh... no... don't talk any more ... I was installing UNIX systems back before you were born.

Get THIS book.
Tim O'Hearn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book cover to cover and skimmed very little. My goal in reading this book was to sharpen my Linux skills and it helped me do exactly that. Though this book enjoys high average ratings everywhere it appears, I stayed away from it thinking that it would be filled with mundane tutorials on how to set up printers and plug in keyboards. It turned out to be a comprehensive and fun overview of Linux from the viewpoint of a System Administrator. I mean it when I say it's fun--the authors' ...more
Kaixi Luo
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paused
I did not read this book cover to cover (it's 1344 pages long!) but I've read enough (600+ pages) to say that this well known book is a bit overrated to be honest. Even though it's so long, it never goes into enough detail into each of the topics. It's an indispensable and must-read book if you want to understand how major parts of Linux works in a general sort of way, but I've found that actual sysadmin tasks required me to read other in-depth specialized books
Abhishek Jaisingh
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A long hard read, touches a large number of topics that one may encounter in a career in Computer Science without going into too much detail. A must read to get a quick overview of concepts ranging from basic linux fundamentals to VMs & Containers.
Ann
Jan 13, 2014 added it
Like most technical books, this is not something I will read once and set aside, but rather use as a reference over and over (I am not a systems admin, but a motivated end user). Even though I haven't yet read it through I'm giving it five stars; the parts I have read are thorough, relatively easy to understand, and sprinkled with a pinch of humor--something that helps an otherwise dry subject matter go down easier, so to speak. Definitely recommended.
Helen Mary Labao Barrameda
It took me three months and my whole Goodreads reading list had to be adjusted to accommodate this mammoth resource but every single day was worth it! I am overflowing with superlatives for this book. I hardly skipped any sections. It was just loaded with the comprehensive information on system administration. It has definitely upgraded me from a complete Linux hobbyist and monkey into a fairly competent IT-savvy professional. I see myself keeping this book in my Kindle device as some sort of ...more
Artem Pyaykh
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Very comprehensive, but at the same time accessible. First chapters can be used as an intro to *nix to get a better understanding of how things work.
Khajornyuth Tonpuban
Good for First Linux Admin

This is book for first step for Linux Administrator and to advance step.
It is help me for very well.
Alex
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unix-linux
One of the greatest books for every sysadmin.
not designed to teach you how to run Linux in your basement.
this book is targeted to larger system deployments and real world large systems.
David Robillard
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
Clearly one of the best book to learn about systems administration. A must read for anyone who wants to try this field or anyone that just started their career.
Dmytro Shteflyuk
A pretty long book about everything about *nix. A little bit outdated, but most of the stuff is still relevant. Keep in mind that it does not go into details, instead, you will get a general overview and some basic understanding of all the systems (it looks like the book is touching everything admin-related you can imagine) and practices, but then you will have to find another source for the juicier stuff.

Have to admit I skipped probably a half of the book all non-Linux stuff (AIX, HP-UX? wow,
Tolga Karahan
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't completely read this book, rather I'm using it as a reference. When I wonder something about Linux and system administration I refer to this book. Sometimes I choose a topic which draws my attention from its content and learn it from this book. Its content is abundant and has interesting topics. It has clear, succinct explanations and reading them is a great joy.
Paul
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that brought me to my profession, to my identity, to what I am. I am a system administrator (DevOps/SRE, call as you like it) for last 16 years. This book is ideal handbook for all xNIX sysadmins. Must read.
Hongjb
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All parts of the book end with a brief introduction or brief example. This book may be suitable for the purpose of exploring a variety of things, but the structure of the content is cluttered and not detailed.
Pierfrancesco Aiello
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, technical
The book is a collection of pointers about a topic (each topic being a chapter, like configuration management). Each chapter exposes an overview of a topic, plus some good hints formalized from experience and then provides a list of books to read to go in depth in the topic.
Koleś
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glad that this book is up to date, with new editions that contain information on things like Cloud computing, containers, devops, but also still about basics like performance tuning, logging, monitoring.
Dmitry
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: linux
Fine, but a bit outdated book for starting linux administrators.
Vladimir Kotov
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid Linux administration material covering all possible aspects
Ashish Kumar
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best guide book ever written.This is the bible for System Administration.
Craig Nuzzo
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The must-read for any SysAdmin or IT Operations person.
DCC
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource. I need to buy this one as a go to reference
Vincent
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: programming
This entire book could be replaced with the sentence "Google it".

Yeah yeah I know when it was first published it was probably very useful.
Leni Kadali
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was a fantastic read. Needs to be updated though. But it's a great, great book. A classic in every sense of the word.
Tony Poerio
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you spend all day ssh'd into Linux machines, this is the book you need. Nemeth and team did it first, and they did it best. Don't waste your time on other UNIX books.
Daniel Honus
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the Bible
KerbenII
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to KerbenII by: ebookpoint.pl
A very well-written book, rich in both knowledge and humour. While reading it I made over 500 pages of notes.
Justin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: studious
The definitive reference book for doing admin work on Linux.

Everything from the kernel to high-level architecture is contained in these thousand-someodd pages. There is no better way to transition from amateur to expert. Old hands will appreciate the advice on contemporary tech (Kubernetes, Cloud, DevOps) while novices will find the index far more helpful than digging through StackOverflow.

Recommended to anyone working with Linux.
Igor
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and practical handbook full of examples. I use this book as reference quite often, because it have a good structure and gives me a big picture of a subject.
Kawai
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, geek
It's a comprehensive guide to the operating system(s), written in an approachable and concise style. The explanations and examples are typically illustrative without being too complex, making the material useful for both the beginner and the expert.

If the book has one downfall, it's that the organization of the chapters is convoluted in places (mirroring the Linux filesystem itself, haha)--for example, early chapters on booting and system considerations therein recommend that the reader move
finisherr
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I've got to be honest in saying that I did not read this cover to cover, but instead, scanned over it to get a general working knowledge of what I would need know to work in systems administration. If you have no idea what linux administration entails, then this is a good start. You can take each subject further supplemental reading and research.

• How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Go Programming Language
  • Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • The Rust Programming Language
  • Learning Python

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Related Articles

San Francisco is a gold rush town. There aren’t many books about people in their 20s who move to Silicon Valley with dreams of earning a living wag...
“It might seem that security should gradually improve over time as security problems are discovered and corrected, but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case. System software is growing ever more complicated, hackers are becoming better and better organized, and computers are connecting more and more intimately on the Internet. Security is an ongoing battle that can never really be won.” 1 likes
“Fire Fighting Although helping users with their various problems is rarely included in a system administrator’s job description, it claims a significant portion of most administrators’ workdays. System administrators are bombarded with problems ranging from “It worked yesterday and now it doesn’t! What did you change?” to “I spilled coffee on my keyboard! Should I pour water on it to wash it out?” In most cases, your response to these issues affects your perceived value as an administrator far more than does any actual technical skill you might possess. You can either howl at the injustice of it all, or you can delight in the fact that a single well-handled trouble ticket scores as many brownie points as five hours of midnight debugging. You pick!” 0 likes