Start by marking “Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)” as Want to Read:
Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)

Line of Fire

(The Corps #5)

Line of Fire brings to life a desperate mission of World War II that captures the drama and courage of the men who fought it. Two Marines, reporting on Japanese air activity, are trapped on a small Coastwatcher island. A special rescue team is assembled to save them -- under enemy fire. It is an exciting and powerful story of real heroism that only W.E.B. Griffin could tel ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 467 pages
Published February 1st 1993 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Line of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Line of Fire

Matthew
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
So here is the deal with these books by Griffin. I really enjoy the stories. They are about a subject I am interested in. They have likeable characters. They are quick reads and keep you entertained.

My gripes with these books are twofold. First is that they are so poorly edited. I feel as though Griffin was just trying to pump out as many books as possible and sometimes didn't pay much attention to the minutia. Then whoever his editors were didn't really do much editing. Most people probably wou
Bob Richard
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Typical W.E.B. Griffin book. In following the series I have come to know and like the main characters. It is always interesting to see what they are doing as each book progresses. The downside to reading to reading the series with only a couple of weeks between books is that the rehashing of events does get a little tiresome. Overall I like these books, they are good escapism.
Ben
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat slow and not much action in this book. I realize that the author of an extended series such as this one has to keep in mind that a reader might be new to the book series. That is probably why Mr. Griffin feels that he must be repetitively recapping characters' backgrounds. Well, one can allow these things to slide by, especially if the novel is compellingly absorbing.
There is a lot of building up to the finale, which should have been, could have been more detailed , more exciting. It i
DanielL
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LINE OF FIRE (Book 5) faithfully follows "The Corp" book series 1-4. As with the other books in the series, except SEMPER FI (Book 1), the storyline bounces between Australia to Washington D.C. and places in-between. Most of the major characters remain and some minor characters are introduced. Sometimes it’s hard to remember the significance of some of the minor characters if the reader takes a break between reading the series.

The primary storyline of LINE OF FIRE is the on-going combat on Guad
Mike Waugh
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
While I liked the plot of this book, it was my least favorite book of the first quarter. There were, in my opinion, too many characters with similar names, and the story jumped from one character to another, which became confusing to me. Anyone looking for a war book should consider this book.
Billie Bogart
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is a great read, but you should start from the beginning as it is really just one long story. I love all the military detail. You’ll like the books if you liked John Wayne war movies. It captures an idealized culture where men are men and women are accessories.
Richard Guerrero
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best, love the characters in the story in the history. Don’t know how the translator, Mrs. Fessler, is still in the game, need to get rid of her. She’s a cancer in their department. Religious hypocrite there. I’m from Northern California, loved the fly under at the Golden Gate bridge.
Kevin DaVee
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, it is basically a male romance novel for white baby boomers...but sometimes a treat with no nutritional value is what you need. I will say this, Griffin's understanding of the bureaucratic realities of the military service is quite good.
Matthew
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: griffin
Quick moving in the end.Pretty good storyline.Love killer Mccoy.
Judy Green
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
UNC+
Richard
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Griffin adds richness to the continuing saga.
Gene Rosso
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series
Neal Nelson
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Very good I enjoyed it love his books. Seems to very accurate history. Characters developed very well and are believable.
Brad T.
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Better than the last couple
Bob Conner
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Griffin's series about the Corps and have read all his awesome works. I can't recall reading a more engaging series with characters all so rich and colorful each of them could be an awesome novel of their own. But Griffin smashes them all together into one nuclear story.

Amazingly colorful characters - Kenneth "Killer" Kelley and his gorgeous wife Ernestine Sage, Jack "NMI" Stecker, Pick Pickering, Sgt Zimmerman, etc....... The list just goes on and on and they never lose thei
Richard Palmer
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am liking the Corps series more and more.

This volume focuses on attempts to replace the coastwatcher team on the island of Buka. There are a few scenes on the island itself, but there is an awful lot of behind the scenes work and political work going on.

One thing I did not like so much was the need Griffin seems to feel to put in romantic partners for all of the major characters. Some of the situations just do not seem very believable.

Still, this is vintage WEB Griffin. Larger than life chara
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
This is one of Griffin's better books in "The Corps" series about US Marines in WWII. Portions of the story deal with the battle of Guadalcanal, including the story of the tenacious and courageous 'Cactus Air Force,' fighter pilots, mostly Marine Corps but also some Navy and Army pilots operating from the Canal's Henderson Field. Another part of the story is about the Australian Coastwatchers, civilian Australian and English residents of the Solomon Islands who stayed behind after the Japanese i ...more
Katie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Griffin does a great job juggling an extremely large cast of characters while still allowing me to keep track of what the heck is going on. He also displays a great understanding of the workings of the military and the way Marines in particular tend to behave, along with a bit of what it's like to be a Marine's girl. This book introduced new characters without being overwhelming, fitting them neatly into the ongoing narrative, and also brought many of the existing characters closer together. It' ...more
Stuart Fujisaki
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was nice to return to familiar territory after slogging through that Bourne book earlier this week. By all definitions, Griffin’s books are my guilty pleasure. I’ve completed the entire Corps series more than a half-dozen times over the last 20 years and honestly, it’s like visiting old friends and favorite relatives, complete with all the quirks (he notoriously changes characters’ middle initials, even historical figures), inside jokes and catch phrases. Yes, yes I know you can write everyth ...more
Howard Anders
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This installment chronicles the efforts to relieve a Coastwatcher detachment on Japanese-held Buka, and introduces more new characters, such as Sergeant George Hart. I am re-reading this series, and I believe this is the book where that series originally started getting tedious for me. Despite Mr. Griffin's wonderful story-telling ability, one can take just so many bad-boys-make-good heroes, so many willing damsel camp-followers, before one is overwhelmed by the author's repetitive character dev ...more
James Burns
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, my-librairy
This was one of my favorite books in Corps series so far. Fleming Pickering is discharged from the Naval services as a Naval Captain, And then sworn in as a Brigadier General In The U.S.M.C.. The battle for Guadalcanal is still raging the Marines are still Hanging on. Most of your favorite characters are back, with some of the ones that you probably dont really care for. The main theme is to retrieve the Marines who are helping out as coastwatchers on Bulka Island and brinf them home.
we are intr
Will
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-action
The Defense of Guadalcanal and Coastwatcher Rescue. The Marines fight bureaucratic gridlock and stage a valiant defense of Guadalcanal while the Marines and Navy put up a vigorous fight to stave off the Japs attempts to recapture Guadalcanal and continue their march south to Australia. The Coastwatchers prove their value by warning Guadalcanal of inbound aircraft as Pickering stages a dramatic rescue for Howard and Koffler from Buka. Galloway and Pickering and McCoy fly in to grab the emaciated ...more
Andy
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good continuation of The Corps series, until about halfway through the book. Then, this book becomes impossible to put down. It is this portion of the book that the reader realizes that they are experiencing one of the masters of military and historical fiction at his peak. As with previous Corps books, Griffin takes his characters through situations with the war in the Pacific as the backdrop, and makes the reader really care about what happens to them. This one seemed to ratchet up the tension ...more
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
WEB sure knows his military. I've read quite a few of his books and they are always interesting. The Corp series is especially meaningful to me since I am USMC veteran. His characters carry over from one book to another and it seems that you get to know these characters personally. I interrupt the series every now and then to read something new, but I always have his books in the back of my mind.
Michelle
Book 5 of our journey through World War II in the Pacific takes us on a daring rescue mission of the Coastwatchers serving as advance sentries for Guadalcanal. Less about McCoy and Pick and more about General Pickering, we see the events through their eyes as the planning and execution happens amidst the action of the war. A good read.
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
This series stunk! I read the entire series hoping for some kind of combat action, but was disappointed time after time. The main character seemed to miss every major action of WWII...the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the invasion of the Philippines, etc. I would not recommend this series to anyone I liked!
Kevin
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Woohoo! Nearly no overlap in this one. I really enjoyed it. Obviously as I read it in a little over a day. These books are a must read for history buffs, WWII afficianados, military types and anyone who just enjoys a compelling read with characters who feel like old friends.
Scott
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Good sound read. I'm very much enjoying the historical aspects of the story as well; I've learned quite a bit through reading this series.
When did Ellen Feller become a villain? I was annoyed with her in the beginning, but I didn't think she was evil...
Ernie
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As with most of W E B Griffin's works, I enjoyed the authors ability to take you there, almost make you feel part of the story, pulling for the heros, dispising the enemy, but be careful, you might learn something about history you didn't know
Thomas
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book

The character development is not only the best but it continues to pull you into the book. The story grips you making it hard to put the book down. I recommend getting the whole series at once so you can keep it going.

• Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Churchill and America
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
  • Hammerheads (Independent, #2)
  • Black Sheep One: The Life of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
  • Ghosts of Bungo Suido (World War II Navy, #2)
  • Fort Pillow
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Black Wind
  • Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman
  • The Enemy Within
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb

The Corps (10 books)
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)
  • Under Fire (The Corps, #9)
  • Retreat, Hell! (The Corps, #10)
“What’s the field like?” Finch” 0 likes