Start by marking “Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner” as Want to Read:
Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner

Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner

Based upon the author’s own successful workshops, Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner helps new artists create competent, often eloquent drawings. A series of progressive lessons demonstrates such essential skills as recording edges, creating dimension, adding accuracy, developing value, balancing compositional elements, and drawing the human face, both frontal and ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Watson-Guptill (first published May 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner

Sean
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I haven't drawn since I was in elementary school but now I can actually draw things. This is a great book if you're an absolute beginner and are motivated to learn how to draw (ie you're willing to put in some time and effort). If you read a chapter or 2 and put it down for a month and don't draw anything over that time, nope you're not gonna get any better at drawing. But if you keep at it and go at a comfortable pace that's good for you, you'll get better.

I read the first 4 chapters, which giv
Joanna
Dec 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
I have learned to draw a stick figure owl. This book might be amazing.
Camilasc
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The *perfect* book for the grown up who wants to learn how to draw, or for the pro who's been in a rut and needs to refresh the basics (exhibit A, represent!).

From a more meta level, the use of other student drawings is a novel touch for a how-to book, and does help in bring out the specific benefits of the workshop model of learning.

Best quote:

"Approach drawing as a magical activity to do, to learn, and to see- profound, mysterious, and gratifying".
Sean
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I can actually draw now--a little bit--thanks to this book. I know I would be able to draw much better if I gave it some time and effort. I would have thought such a thing impossible before I opened this book. The author taught me how to stop and look at what is really there in front of me, not simply to rely on my ingrained symbolic representations of things.
Ami
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Starts off strong, and then I always get overwhelmed at some point. This time around (my third or so with this book), it was later than others, but still in chapter 3 or so. I don't know what it is, but I guess this just isn't the book for me.
Yuliya Skripnik
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Для совсем начинающих. Но и продолжающим тоже будет интересно. Самая интересная глава про поиск авторского стиля. И про исправление ошибок. Все чётко и по делу.
Elizabeth Matthews
looks like a great starting point
Terrie
Apr 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
Finally a drawing book that is geared to my level.
Ken Carpenter
Feb 19, 2015
Amber Jackson
Dec 26, 2017
Tom Vranas
rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2018
Jan 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Drawing for the Absolute Beginner: A Clear & Easy Guide to Successful Drawing
  • Lee Hammond's Big Book of Drawing
  • Rendering in Pen and Ink: The Classic Book on Pen and Ink Techniques for Artists, Illustrators, Architects, and Designers
  • Drawing People: How to Portray the Clothed Figure
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • So You Want to Be an Inventor?
  • Illustrating Children's Books: Creating Pictures for Publication
  • The Elephant Scientist
  • Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make a World
  • Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art
  • Drawing with Children: A Creative Method for Adult Beginners, Too
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Naïve: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design
  • 200 Projects to Strengthen Your Art Skills (Barron’s Aspire Series)
  • Just a Second