Start by marking “Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy” as Want to Read:
Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy

Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  962 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
This revision of Gerald Corey's best-selling text introduces students to the major theories of counseling (psychoanalytic, Adlerian, existential, person-centered, Gestalt, reality, behavior, cognitive-behavior, family systems, feminist and, NEW to this edition, postmodern approaches) and demonstrates how each theory can be applied to a single case ("Stan"). Reviewed by 27 ...more
Hardcover, (with Web Site, Chapter Quiz Booklet, and InfoTrac ), 547 pages
Published March 10th 2004 by Brooks Cole

Alleesia Anderson Hardcover book, reading this in relation to occasional classes in Diploma of Arts (Counseling) to enhance learning. 2 chapters prior to a class…moreHardcover book, reading this in relation to occasional classes in Diploma of Arts (Counseling) to enhance learning. 2 chapters prior to a class cluster. Currently reading through chpt 9 & 10.(less)

Carolynne
I think that Corey is a very inappropriate author for textbooks. Rather than presenting theoretical concepts in an objective manner and allowing students to draw their own conclusions, Corey injects his own biases, in many cases using the words I value, I question, from my perspective, etc. His ,opinions, questions and values have no place in a textbook.
Catherine
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I normally hate text books, but this one is one I actually enjoyed reading. It is also one of the initial books that made me interested in counseling. it is a MUST READ.
Cari
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My 77 year old professior forces us to read Gladdings text. When I voiced my concern for the theories section of my exit exam another professor let me borrow this book. Corey writes clearly in a language that is easily understandable. He organizes the theories all in the same format, and written in the same way it's easy to compare and contrast. It's visually appealing to look at and doesn't burn the eyes when reading. I just really hate Gladding. I wish I knew about Corey during my whole grad s ...more
Emily
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was a decent textbook, but way, way too much emphasis on the author's personal philosophy of counseling. This might not have bothered me much, except that he seems to really heavily favor psychoanalysis and dream analysis, which don't have a lot of empirical evidence supporting them. Too much woo-woo in this book for my tastes, so to speak.
Heather
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to have been one of my favorite text books to read. It was informative, conversational, and really made it easy to learn the various approaches to therapy. This is a GREAT starting point in developing my own personal brand of therapy. I'm really glad to have read this for class.
Tony | Outwork Industries
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, education
Not a bad textbook on the theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy. I enjoyed the one pager descriptions of the authorities behind each method, which enabled further research and exploration.

There are 11 total methods described, all of which merit some value in the world of counseling and psychotherapy.

A good reference book and resource for deeper study.
Paula
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth the $100+ it costs on the textbook market, but a good-enough book about various psychotherapeutic theories and approaches. The author seems well-informed and intelligent. Some editions come with the "Stan" DVD, not to be confused with the Eminem song, which demonstrates the various techniques as role-played by the author and an actor. This was amusing to watch, sometimes as a helpful adjunct to the text, and sometimes as unintentional comedy.
Claire
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-work
I read a newer version (2009) and found it be be quite accessible. It provides concise descriptions of the major theories, and uses a single case study to illustrate what therapy would look like for "Stan" with each theoretical orientation. I used this as a review for CADC and LCSW exams and found it to be perfect for this purpose. Glaring omission of attachment theory!
Kutlu
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it
I am 30% into the book. I think it is a very readable summary of the different psychological schools of thought. It sometimes becomes a bit repetitive because these teories at times have almost more in common than not. For instance, they all try to help the consultee gain confidence but within different frameworks.
I am reading a Turkish translation of the book - which is pretty good.
Stella
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great overview of the various theories of psychotherapy! It was actually an enjoyable and extremely informative read...however, I think I would have enjoyed it more had there not been a six week time limit placed on reading it. It's difficult for me to give a textbook 5 stars, but this one is definitely top-notch!
Allison
This is a good book that covers the most popular forms of therapy. At the end of each chapter there is a summary of the therapy, the pros and cons of using this particular type of therapy, and a hypothetical example of how the therapy could be used with a client. I also liked the suggested readings at the back of each chapter. It was a little dry at points, but it's a textbook.
Cara
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Corey displays the concepts of this book so effectively. It's clear and easy reading compared to other books I have read with these same therapies and practices.
Also, if you are looking to pass the NCE this book is a MUST READ. The NCE pulls questions from this book so I think it's worth your time to read, review and study.
Lisa
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Necessary reading for my grad school program. Very good overall look at the very theories. Not a lot of practical 'how to' using specific techniques but still an excellent overall/history of the theories.
Leilanit7
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Corey does a great job explaining theories and is precise in showing what each look like in a counseling session. Read many reviews that listed this book as a study guide for the licensing exam.
Jeremy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: counseling
This book is an incredibly thorough description of primary counseling theories. I appreciated the structure of the book and the accompanying videos were INCREDIBLY helpful in understanding how theories play out in the counseling room.
Jyotika Varmani
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very easy to understand and makes for a very good textbook. From an exam viewpoint, it presents every topic with clear outlines and points. That makes it easy to understand what is required in the answer. It also covers nearly all the theories available. An excellent book.
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
The material is definitely interesting and inspiring but the layout of this textbook is terrible and although there are highlighted terms, there's no glossary. Love the content, hate the way it's organized.
Trent Cunningham
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for theoretical overviews and comparisons between the 11 different orientations the author covers. Very weak in case study / illustration (but I think there's some supplemental materials to cover that).
Amy
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am going to miss Stan. He was the best part of this book. A descent over view of all current theories, however it doesn't give you a good feel for the theories. I found myself having to find several other books to answer questions I had. Very general.
Abby
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sure, the author may inject his own bias in this textbook, but I have rarely read a textbook where this is not the case. It is easy to read and very enjoyable. I felt like I was reading on my own accord and not for a class. His accompanying videos for this should also be recommended!
Goodnews
good primer
Sumit Gunjan
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
good for understand the concept of counseling and psychotherapy... then different psychotherapies and also helps in understanding the line of difference between counseling and psychotherapy..
Deborah
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fantastic! helped me through the latter stages of my counselling studies this year. I will be returning to this time and time again
Trevor
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychotherapy
Thorough, accessible language. Inspiring and complete. I'll go back to this text for reference.
Rachel
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
This is the best personality and counseling theory book I've read yet. Most helpful in explaining the distinct points if each theory/theorist and comparing the strengths/weaknesses.
Joaquin
Informative but a little dry at time. I think I need to do some more reading in this too.
Rose Boyer
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent current information on what is happening in the field of psychology and counseling.
Blueyamama
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جداً مفيد ، وباعتقادي يعتبر من الكتب المهمه في مكتبة أي مرشد نفسي
Tamara
Sep 18, 2013 added it
Very good overview of therapeutic techniques and theory for beginning counselors.
Jeffreylibercajt
I learned that in all the psycotherapy theories, the therapist is helping the client gain trust. Each of the throries does it in a different framework.
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • Learning the Art of Helping: Building Blocks and Techniques
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • Abnormal Psychology and Modern Life
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide

“If we are unable to tolerate ourselves when we are alone, how can we expect anyone else to be enriched by our company? Before we can have a solid relationship with another, we must have a relationship with ourselves. We are challenged to learn to listen to ourselves. We have to be able to stand alone before we can truly stand beside another.” 7 likes