Start by marking “Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)

Bear Necessities

(Halle Shifters #1)

To hold onto his love, he must release his beast.

Halle Shifters, Book 1

Once a Bear sets his mind on a mission, it's best to stay out of his way. Alexander "Bunny" Bunsun is that Bear. Something's not right with his cousin Chloe, and he's come to Halle, PA, to sort it out, turn his Harley around and head home to Oregon. Until an enticing scent lures him into the local tatto
Published July 27th 2010 by Samhain Publishing (first published July 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Necessities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Necessities

MelissaB
Alexander Bunson, also known by the nickname Bunny, arrives in the town of Halle, PA with his cousin because they are concerned about Chloe, his young cousin who lives there. As Alex is wandering around the town thinking about going into a comic book store (he loves manga and anime), he scents his mate in a tattoo parlor. Turns out his mate is a green-haired Wolf shifter named Tabitha - yes she is a Wolf named Tabby.

Tabby has had a rather hard life the past few years. She was kicked out of her p
Catherine
*DNF*

I had seen pretty good reviews for this and heard it compared to Shelly Laurenston, so I had to give it a try. Unfortunately, the writing style didn't work for me at all. It didn't feel very developed or polished. I liked the storyline of a bear falling for a wolf with a harsh past, but I didn't like the execution of it.

Events felt slapped together and I didn't feel any depth to any of the characters, especially the main ones. It was like everyone was a caricature of themselves, without any
StellaR
4,5 STARS FOR BUNNY-BEAR CUTENESS HOTNESS

Who wants to read about a bear shifter named BUNNY? :))
I've never read a story about bear shifters before so this is new and of course, I was interested when I learnt about this book.

That's what make this story stand out. Alex "Bunny" Bunsun was a bear shifter who had an anger management issue he's been trying to soothe with...YOGA. Nope, not kidding, a bear doing yoga?

His mate was a wolf shifter who had neon green hair and was a tattoo artist. They're su
Kathryn
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the second time I have read this book, the first in a spinoff of Bell's Halle Pumas series. The characters from the first books make more then minor appearances and the setting and storyline remain the same, the difference being the types of shifters involved. I enjoy Bell's humorous writing. Her characters are engaging and interesting and I love the situations Bell places them in, particularly with this book.

I loved both of the main characters. I tend to lean towards one or the other i
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

Not terrible but there was no conflict between the MCs! Both accepted the mating so easy and soon enough, I learned there were two interconnected series and we kept just meeting people from prior books. It was just soo annoying! Why pretend you're writing a different series if you're going to be constantly name dropping?

I had originally rounded down but then I remembered two things about the book I loved:
1. The hero is black
2. His nickname is Bunny. Can you imagine this big bear of
Melindeeloo
Okay, so I am schitzophrenic, I liked this even though I am not an erotic reader and Bear Necessities is definitely an erotic read - the hero boldly goes where no man has gone before with the heroine and we discover that 69 is their favorite number - but even though I pretty much skimmed the love scenes in the second half of the book there was still a good story hidden beneath all of the steamy stuff.

I am getting a real kick out of Bearshifters and in addition to the leading man Alex (Bunny) Bu
Melanie
I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

This was my first Dana Marie Bell book and I couldn't help but compare it to Shelly Laurenston's 'Mangnus Pack' and 'Pride' books and some of the shifter stories from Eve Langlais.

Where Laurenston delivers snarky, sarcastic and sexy fun, and Langlais provides cute, fluffy fun, 'Bear Necessities' was, unfortunately, a poor substitute for my "fun" shifter romance fix. There was a LOT (too much?) of slurpy 69 "stuff" going on and a somewhat adventurous backd
Bunnycore
When fate throws you a bone.. or a bear in Tabby's case. Tabby is a lone wolf, a tattoo artist and recently mated to a bear. Okay I loved this book in it's simplicity.

There was no fight, Alex "Bunny" Benson (a bear named bunny) and Tabby the wolf are mates. They knew it they didn't fight it. There wasn't any angst, just steamy sex. A biker bear and a tatted up wolf. I was so about this and there was something very comforting to just read some down right PNSmutt. I loved the insta-mating. I love
Emily
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Folks, stop what you're doing and prepare to one click order. After reading (and enjoying) the entire Halle Pumas series of novellas (reviews for installments 3-5 are forthcoming, don't worry), Bear Necessities is not only the first full length novel set in that world, and features the familiar cast of characters, but is also the first installment where the author really flexes her muscles, so to speak, when it comes to this series. Let's just say that waiting for the next book is going to be ve
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this writer and all the series she does. i have to say though this is my favourite book with bunny in it. all these books are a MUST to read.
This is an awesome shifter series. I love Bunny he has to be one of my favourite characters. I love how different Tabby and Bunny are but they work perfectly together. Very sexy scenes between Tabby and Bunny. Just like the rest of the books the story is great, fantastic romance and good fights with bad guys.
MostlyDelores
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
These books take me back to the heyday of Loveswept romances from the 1980s. It's all tidy pairings and sassy banter and cartoonish violence.

But there's also this:
“You not only disobeyed the local Alpha, you attempted something that is considered anathema to all shifters. You tried to rape another man’s mate. That makes you rogue.”

I guess raping a single woman isn't as bad?

Three stars for nostalgia.
Chitra *CJ*
"Bear Necessities" is the book 1 of Halle Shifters, and the story of Bunny and Tabby.

Basically our hero is a grizzly bear shifter named Bunny, who whilst visiting his cousin Chloe comes across his Wolf tattoo artist mate called Tabby.
Tabby has been an outcast for years, and now has found a small sembelance family in the town of Halle PA. Things change when she realizes the bald, handsome man in her shop is her mate- and they both crave to claim each other.

But as Chloe is attacked and almost mor
Under the Covers Book Blog
I read this book for three reasons:

I've had it on my kindle for a long time. It's about time I actually picked it up.
Bear shifters are a weakness of mine
This is a very traditional type of fated mates romance. Our hero Bunny (the bear shifter) sniffs out his mate. His mate Tabby is also a shifter (a wolf) so the fated mates thing is understood. And reciprocated. Within a few chapters, although they aren't q
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Romanceopoly reading challenge: Mystery Challenge #1 - Fated Mates
Revealed on: 01 February
Read on: 14 February

I read this book for three reasons:

1. For Romanceopoly! To complete Mystery Challenge #1 which is to read a fated mates romance.
2. I’ve had it on my kindle for a long time. It’s about time I actually picked it up.
3. Bear shifters are a weakness of mine

Roxanne
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
OK this wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't a very good one...for several reasons.

One: All the side characters in this book are from the authors Puma series so I didn't appreciate most of the banter between mates and the pride seeing as I missed all their stories. I think I would have enjoyed this book alot more if I had read them, especially Max and Emma's book.

Two: The storyline, hrmmmmmmm...I was expecting more. The main story was that Tabby was getting pushed around by Gary and his two sidek
Cherie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Well, I tried, i really did. I went in this book thinking the preface sounded so interesting... a were-bear named Bunny... sign me up. Add in that he's a bald biker and the heroine has green hair and this book was set up to be kick a**... Unfortunately, it did not live up to the premise.

Now I like the shapeshifter books, I love the pull and chemistry of the mating bond. I love the animalistic power, charisma and attraction. What is not to like about these books?

Terrible writing that's what. An
SubterraneanCatalyst
OK so this book was just "ok". I had issues with the writing/pacing. Firstly I disliked the names- which shouldn't be a deal breaker for a book really but they just irked the hell out of me. Bunny, Tabby, Cyn, and Glory are the worst offenders for me name wise. But hey, to each their own, perhaps you'll read this and love the names and it won't dig under your skin like it did me. More power to you.
Tabby is an outcast wolf shifter who craves real asylum, comfort and home. She lives in a small co
Emily
Alexander "Bunny" Bunson heads to Halle Pennsylvania to check on his cousin Chloe, who he senses is in trouble. What he finds is not only his mate, but his cousin beaten within an inch of her life.

Tattoo artist Tabitha "Tabby" Garwood came to Pennsylvania after spending 8 years as an Outcast. Although she has not been accepted as part of the pack, the others allow her to live in peace and has made some strong ties in the community. When Bunny comes into her store, she knows her mate has come fo
SheLove2Read
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Loved it! A thoroughly fun read with just the right touch of serious emotion. A kick ass heroine, fun sidekicks and a hero named Bunny - what's not to love!
Delta
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of shifter romance
Kym
Setting: Halle, Pennsylvania Contemporary
Genre: paranormal, erotic romance

Tabby is an Outcast Wolf Shifter from Georgia who landed in Halle, a Puma controlled town, after 8 years of living off the land in her wolf form. Outcast means she is “fair game” for any other Wolf to do anything, from simple taunting, up to, and including, rape. Hence, she is being harassed by Gary, a transfer student/Wolf at the local college. Tabby is apprenticed to Cyn, a human tattoo artist, and works in her shop. Cyn
Mspink
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Steph
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
I just want to start by recommending this book to anyone who loves shifters, extremely hot sex scenes, a brilliant cast of characters and a group of best friends that will make you die with laughter on many ocassions.
There was a brilliant story line that will pull you in within the first few pages. I was laughing so hard about 10 pages in, and I imediately knew I was going to love this book, and Oh BOY was I right.
At the top of my list of things I loved were the main couple... Tabby (wolf) an
Kirsten
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the world of the Halle Shifters. I mistakenly picked up the second book and read that before this one. But it got me reading this one, and I'm not complaining about that at all. Bear shifters are hot!!! I think before Cynful I had only read one other about bear shifters, and that was very good as well. This was an excellent read. The story flowed along smoothly, always building into more. More is good. Yes it is. I liked that this book concentrated on shifters not weres. Big differenc ...more
Deedee
So good!! I'm happy I got this.
The story was good, the heroine was funny and sarcastic, the hero was hot, sweet and dreamy.

The story:
After being outcast from her pack eight years ago, Tabitha "Tabby" Goldman finally found a place she can call home. But when things starts going straight to hell. She scared she be forced out of the place she finally home.

Alexander "Bunny" Bunsun has come to Halley,PA to check on his cousin Chloe, something doesn't seem right with her. But who of thought he wou
Kate's Corner
This book was a lot of fun to read but I currently can't continue the series as I have to read the Halle Pumas which I kind of find irritating but I'm kind of a monk in that respect. This book gets 3.5-4 Stars from me.

Alexander "Bunny" Bunson is a bear on a mission he has set out to Halle with Ryan to find out what is wrong with Chloe (Ryan's sister) I loved this book from start to finish and can't wait to read the next book.

Tabby is Outcast which in packs/prides is never a good thing. Kicked ou
Jill
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Heheh this book was very sexy. The characters Alex "bunny" bunsen, who is in fact a bear shifter and tabby who is a wolf a great fun! They both have know problem with sex in it up in all sorts of delicious ways. Really did enjoy this book. Although this is part of a series, I had know problem reading it even though i haven't read the others. I do plan on back tracking to the beginning just to kill my curiosity. I like this author style and even though it wasn't a very in depth book, it was a gre ...more
Anna
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
It is even a week I read this book and I hardly remember what it is about: a bear founding a mate (a werewolf), and some problems caused by a bad wolf who wants to create his own clan and wants to rape the bear werewolf.

The pace is ok, there is some suspense with some werewolves. The characterization is shallow, none of them stand-out.

The world-building was a little far-fetched or poor credible. There were were-pumas, were-bears, were-foxes, but mainly the main point was gorgeous studs being wi
Chappy
This was my first book from this author and I loved it. The whole shifter thing was done in an original and interesting way. Alex "Bunny" might be a big ass grizzly but he truly is a loving teddy bear. He meets Tabby, a strong independent and funny wolf and doesn't let go. The quirky green hair is awesome as are the tattoo and biker aspects. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the bear-shifter premise. The story keeps your interest. I am looking forward to the next in this series.
  • The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)
  • Wolf Flight (Granite Lake Wolves #2)
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
  • Revelation (de La Vega Cats, #2)
  • Serengeti Heat (Serengeti Shifters, #1)
  • Foxy Lady (Cougar Falls, #3)
  • Chasing Paradise (Alpine Woods Shifters, #2)
  • Croc and the Fox (Furry United Coalition, #3)
  • Bodyguard (Shifters Unbound, #2.5)
Dana Marie Bell wrote her first short story when she was thirteen years old. She attended the High School for Creative and Performing Arts for creative writing, where freedom of expression was the order of the day. When her parents moved out of the city and placed her in a Catholic high school for her senior year she tried desperately to get away, but the nuns held fast, and she graduated with hon ...more

Halle Shifters (5 books)
  • Cynful (Halle Shifters, #2)
  • Bear Naked (Halle Shifters, #3)
  • Figure of Speech (Halle Shifters, #4)
  • Indirect Lines (Halle Shifters, #5)
“She sort of had a mushroom childhood.'
'A what?'
'She was plunked down in the dark and fed a lot of bullshit.”
15 likes