Start by marking “Linux Kernel Development” as Want to Read:
Linux Kernel Development

Linux Kernel Development

"Linux Kernel Development" details the design and implementation of the Linux kernel, presenting the content in a manner that is beneficial to those writing and developing kernel code, as well as to programmers seeking to better understand the operating system and become more efficient and productive in their coding. The book details the major subsystems and features of ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 440 pages
Published June 25th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published September 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Linux Kernel Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linux Kernel Development

Start your review of Linux Kernel Development
Enikő
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been always fascinated with operating systems. After majoring computer science and still not knowing the inside of them, I felt like a joke. So after reading the Code and this, and various other books too, I am coming closer to understanding the inner workings of the hard parts of software architectures.

I have read this book, and currently reading it second time. There is really a lot of interesting things going under the cover. I was in love with CFS and other terms which was always
Chris Tierney
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read this as a book club on our dev team. It was well written and approachable for an advanced developer. Great survey of Linux Internals and reads like a book. There are even a few jokes in here! I tried reading similar books, and this one just kind of stuck.
Dave
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been somewhat of a novice kernel hacker for many years now and the few pieces of the kernel that I can say that I understand very well have been small, hard-won victories for me. There are a number of Linux kernel books out there, and most novice hackers will find, as I have, that it's very difficult to just go in "cold" and learn about a specific kernel subsystem from these books. Books like "Linux Kernel Internals", "Understanding the Linux Kernel" and "Understanding the Linux Virtual ...more
Arvydas Sidorenko
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
Developing an operating system is hard and so is the material in this book. It is rather technical and doesn't really explain the concept very well. If you have prior experience in BSD or equivalent kernel development, then it will be a peace of cake. The author tends to throw some kernel specific features "A" at you explaining how it is implemented in Linux and expecting that you have the common sense to figure that every kernel has to have feature "A".
Kam Yung Soh
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computing, reference
Good intro to Linux Kernel newbies who want to know how the kernel works and how to modify it.

Best used while cross-referencing with current Kernel documentation so you know what in the book is obsolete/deprecated and what APIs have been changed or introduced.
Mosab
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time to read this book this year. A lot of dots have been connected!
John Davis
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
I think this would've made a good companion to Tannenbaum as textbooks for my undergrad operating systems course. Very focused on the details of implementation of central parts of linux 2.6, whereas Tannenbaum is more theoretical and not focused on implementation details. However, that specificity has caused this work to not age so well, as the 2.6 kernel is now quite outdated, and in certain cases his recommended ways of doing things are now outdated too (his enthusiasm for uevents has, I ...more
Ryan McCoppin
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best Linux Kernel books when it comes to understanding as well as implementation. He breaks down the complexity of the kernel into simple components that any computer science major can understand. He discusses each concept from an operating systems class and breaks them down to how they are implemented in the kernel. From processes, synchronization techniques, to sysfs, drivers, and even various data structures that are already implemented in the kernel; and more importantly ...more
Guangyu
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After you read any OS book, this one may be one of the best books to know more about operating systems. Most OS books only talk about ideas and concepts, this one gives us more details but not the whole detail. Great book!
Teodor Moroz
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I would expect from the book like this to explain Linux concepts and philosophy, instead, it just explains some functions and structures from Linux source code. Sometimes there is more conceptual parts, but not as often as I expect them to be.
Innocent Samuel
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading is knowledge and wisdom
Ryan Frantz
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit dated by now but this book still provides lots of useful context about Linux kernel internals.
N0dgrand87
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all middleware or system level developers. Preemption, context switch, process scheduling all here and well explained. I wish I read this book 10 years earlier)
Kushagra Misra
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book give u a clear picture of Linux kernal... Must read for all engineers
Elie De Brauwer
This is the second time I'm reading this book and this book is *#$*!ing awesome. Although this book is a first edition (I believe a 3rd edition is available nowadays) this book still applies (partly because Linux is still in a 2.6.x compatible version, it would probably have been a different story if this edition was published in the 2.4.x era) to today's reality AND it's just a pleasure to read this book. It only happens in very rare occasions that an author is capable to describe a technical ...more
Marshall
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great reference manual for Linux APIs. The chapters are laid out so that readers can ease into the complex subject of Operating System. The book serves as an important source for my Operating System class, and it helps me understand how different pieces fit together.

Linux Kernel code base is big, lack of clear structure to beginners. The book explains in details how each pieces fit together, the functions of each API calls. It is a great book to have by desk for people who do
Manavendra Manav
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linux
Very good book for beginners to understand the Linux kernel API's and mechanisms. It has a good complete chapter devoted to Bottom Halves mechanisms like SoftIRQ, Tasklets, Work queues, etc. A must read for Linux enthusiasts. However, it lacks exercises and some text is old (2.6.xx) as compared to the rapidly changing Linux kernel versions (3.16.xx). Looking forward to buy the 4th edition.
Terry Wang
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry
Excellent book even if you are NOT a kernel developer, it really helped me to understand how the Linux kernel works and solved a lot of my misunderstandings (dentries, path, buffer/page cache etc.).

Process Management, scheduling, System calls, MM, VFS, Block I/O layer, Process Address Space, Page Cache and Page Writeback, Modules, Debugging, these chapters are brilliant.
Laurent
May 06, 2013 added it
Shelves: os, internals, linux
Not much difference with the previous edition. A good high level book. The author could have given credit where credit is due for some of the work done around the scheduler.
John Johnsson
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read about the Linux Kernel.

Gives you a very good overview.

Recommended!
Nicholas
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the best book about the linux kernel I have ever read. If you are familiar with the concepts, and want to learn implementation details, this is the book for you.
Liberty
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only book I can read through about Linux kernel. It is a very very fun journal through a more updated kernel!
Yahya
I enjoyed learning about design, implementation and interfaces, easy to understand and quite and enjoyable. I just want to see if I can put to use the new information and try coding with it now.
Barry
Feb 22, 2011 marked it as to-read-technical  ·  review of another edition
There is a 3rd edition - read that!
Rahul Iyer
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Concise enough that it covers all the high level concepts equipping one to dive into the code.
Justin
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
overall, it was a good book. the chapters about VFS and the bloxk IO layer were xonfusing, though. one thing I would like to see is a chapter on turning the kernel/system on/off and reboot ing.
Zack
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the best technical book ever written
Bob Hancock
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best explanation of the Linux scheduler and multi-level feedback queue.
Srivatsan
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Anyone with basics, I would personally recommend to first start with this book and then to more advanced material.
Tsvetomir
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Very good introduction on Linux kernel and general operating systems concept. A must-read for everyone willing to involve with the kernel.

• The C Programming Language
  • Embedded Android: Porting, Extending, and Customizing
  • The Go Programming Language
  • The Elements of Style
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Advanced Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing
  • The Design of the UNIX Operating System
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Programming Pearls
  • UNIX Power Tools
  • Computer Science: An Overview

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »