Start by marking “Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems” as Want to Read:
Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems

Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems

It's easy enough to install Wireshark and begin capturing packets off the wire--or from the air. But how do you interpret those packets once you've captured them? And how can those packets help you to better understand what's going on under the hood of your network? Practical Packet Analysis shows how to use Wireshark to capture and then analyze packets as you take an inde ...more
Published May 24th 2007 by No Starch Press (first published May 23rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Packet Analysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Packet Analysis

Start your review of Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
Kam Yung Soh
Wireshark is one of the more useful tools available for people doing network packet analysis. But a tool is good if you know how to use it and this books show you how to use it in an easy to follow practical guide.

After going through an introduction to network packet analysis and using Wireshark, the book gets down to the nitty-gritty: using Wireshark to troubleshoot networks. You'll learn how to determine where a network problem might be happening and how to backup your analysis with evidence g
Shravan
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone who is interested in how the Internet and its different protocols work.
Highly recommend that you download the packet capture files from their website and try everything yourself as you read this book.
I'm sure I will keep coming back to this book over and over again.
Trevor D Walton
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great intro to basic network analysis, for those without a lot of background in networking, or who might be a bit rusty in this area. Personally, I'm a DevOps guy with more experience on the Dev than Ops side. I'm working on skilling up, in an effort to close that gap. While most of the low level networking nuts & bolts described here are abstracted away enough in my current cloud-based role, that I might not need these skills on a daily basis, a little more robust networking knowledg ...more
Kaushik
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book that gives you an overview of network concepts, as well as some really good hands on experience with analysing packets in Wireshark, which is where it really shines. It's a great practical guide. Would recommend to people interested in understanding and analysing network traffic better.
Brandon Fulk
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was able to get me up and running with some of the most useful Wireshark features while also giving some background into networking.
Peadar O'Maoileoin
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best "tech" books I've ever read. It really flows well, and the explanation is clear and concise. I'm blown away.
Shriya Narang
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book. Provides in depth knowledge on Wireshark and networking.
Eric
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. The author did his research on this one. Would probably use for reference.
Paschalis
Jul 19, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elibrary
elibrary
Rafael(bobeirasa) Lopes
This book made lots of influence on my professional life as an infrastructure manager and furtherly as a cloud computing analyst. The language is very simple and the reading is easy and pleasant.
Michael
May 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book.

The first few chapters give a quick summary of networking and TCP/IP basics. It's a subject which is difficult to cover so quickly. I'm not sure Sanders does it justice, to be honest--if you aren't already familiar with the concepts, I don't think this would be an adequate introduction.

The next few chapters discuss the mechanics of using the Wireshark program itself. I appreciate this section, as it taught me a few simple but very useful features of Wireshark th
Dale Pearl
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
This isn't a bad tech read. Chris keeps it simple and to the point. A book like this is more of less what I would call a temporary reference book. His examples are great,however, once you refer to them two or three times you will either have outgrown their usefullness or wireshark will have become outdated. Either way, I highly recommend this book for anyone who does networking for a living.
Takedown
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: networking
Decent book if you're interested in packet analysis with Wireshark and looking for some practical examples. I would recommend that book for a beginner rather than a experienced professional since you're probably know most things already if you played with wireshark and do some analysis.
Kerszi
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Książka ma już parę lat, ale w większości jest aktualna. W sumie internet, a tak naprawdę jego początki sięgają lat 60., ale protokoły tcp/ip za bardzo się nie zmienił. Tak jak w tytule główny nacisk jest nastawiony na Wireshark. Jeżeli miałeś styczność z siecią, nie będzie to dla Ciebie problem.
Steve
Dec 01, 2007 rated it liked it
The first half of this book reads like an extended help file. What makes up for it are the interesting case studies where the author shows you how to use Wireshark to solve real network crises.
Richard Lawrence
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: networking
Excellent resource for network analysts.
Tom Hinkle
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the sections dealing with every day problems and how to use Wireshark to trace them to determine where the problem exits.
Calvin Christopher
Easy enough read for beginners while manages to get your feet wet In advanced topics.
Justin Andrusk
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: security
Nice basic introduction to packet analysis using Wireshark.
Mohamed Nabil
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: networks
a simple but an important book that discusses how to monitor and analyze data packets using wireshark.
Lm
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
great I love this book
Rich Tijerina
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a very basic introduction. had a few practical examples.

Please let me know if you know of a technical book that actually analyzes packets in depth.
T00zday
Excellent resource for getting deeper into Packet Analysis. Case studies helped, some errors though.
Ben
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good, but could have gone a bit deeper
Rob Jobin
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so incredibly useful. It really is practical and as long as you pay attention and use the examples it will explain wireshark perfectly.
Inward
Dec 29, 2018
Darius
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • Black Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Pentesters
  • Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python
  • Incident Response & Computer Forensics
  • The Art of Memory Forensics: Detecting Malware and Threats in Windows, Linux, and Mac Memory
  • Learning Malware Analysis: Explore the concepts, tools, and techniques to analyze and investigate Windows malware
  • The Hacker Playbook 2: Practical Guide To Penetration Testing
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches
  • Blue Team Handbook: Incident Response Edition: A condensed field guide for the Cyber Security Incident Responder.
  • Pequeño cerdo capitalista
  • Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • The Bone Houses
  • Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us
  • The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »