Start by marking “Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach” as Want to Read:
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach

Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach

Building on the successful top-down approach of previous editions, the Fourth Edition of Computer Networking continues with an early emphasis on application-layer paradigms and application programming interfaces, encouraging a hands-on experience with protocols and networking concepts. With this edition, Kurose and Ross bring the issues of network security to the forefron ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 880 pages
Published March 23rd 2007 by Addison Wesley (first published November 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Networking, please sign up.
Shane Chiu learning by doing.

Use wireshark and tcpdump.…more
learning by doing.

Use wireshark and tcpdump.(less)

Start your review of Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
Anton Petrov
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anton by: RWTH University
It's an amazing book about Computer Networking. Gave me a great in-depth intuition of how the Internet works and all such networks in general.

The approach from the Application layer downwards was just the right one for me. I had tried to learn computer networks before - starting from the lowest layer - and didn't get very far. I was lost and bored by all the details. The cherry of the cake was not coming any time soon. Starting from the cherry (this book's approach) really spiced my appetite fo
YouKneeK
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-textbook
This textbook was required reading for a Computer Networking course. As far as college textbooks go, it was pretty good. I learned the material from it that I needed to learn. The textbook was well-organized, and it was easy to understand. It had quite a few analogies and real-world examples that aided in understanding.

For me, this textbook was a pretty dry read and I sometimes had trouble pushing through the weekly reading assignments. However, networks are not an aspect of Computer Science th
Zvezdi
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice and understandable. Makes you excited about the Internet. I enjoy reading the interviews featured in every chapter (like the one with Marc Andreessen included in the sixth edition).
Laurence
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: skills-books
The security parts are not entirely correct according to a security expert friend and the contents could use a good reorganisation. Other than that, good enough to get a feel of computer networking.
Karel Baloun
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Re 7th edition)

The authors successfully make the deep details of networking understandable and even easy to read.

Love the “a day in the life of a webpage request”, which listed the 24 exact detailed steps that a packet takes between an ethernet card, a Web server and it’s returned. (p501-505)

Chapter 8 on security leaves a lot to be desired… It’s really about how security is designed to ideally function, but omits all the real world problems. Similarly the last chapters on mobile and multimedia
Anjum Haz
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Read some chapters from this book for my networking course. The writers explained the nuts and bolts of networking in such interesting way, I felt like I was reading a story! Thanks to them for explaining the hard topics so easily that we, students clung to the textbook..
Roberto!
Aug 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my enemies.
Shelves: sludge-factory
Only an idiot would read this book.
Jui Shirvalkar
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best. Book. Ever.
Oscar
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was such a boring book. So much so that I would discourage anyone from picking ip up (or studying Computer Networking for that matter -- or CS entirely). First let me point out the characteristics that I liked most, so that I won't come across as a nuisance, and that prevented me from giving a lower rating

- At anyone's reach
- Very comprehensive prose, as far as the topics that the authors chose to cover are concerned (indeed, I felt much was left over)

Now comes my critique: this book feels
Rishabh Kumar
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A better one would have been the bottom up approach. In the beginning of the book it starts to explain the concept of routing and the interconnection of the networks. If a reader has no prior knowledge about networks then he will be scratching his head. In my case i did not even know the actual difference between the router and the switch, where does routing actually takes place, on which layer, which addressing is used. The book directly jumps into the application layer without even giving the ...more
Dmitriy Shilin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Wow, it was very long reading. It took me about a year to read it.
There are a lot of information about the network today and it is very
difficult to grab all main ideas from the various domains.

I would say that I like first 5 chapters. They cover all important details
from the application layer till the Ethernet frames. After 5 fundamental
chapters authors offer us more domain-specific information. These chapters are
very basic and require a lot of additional reading.

As a result if your goal is to g
Shayan aminnjad
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn how computer networks work, I think this is a wonderful introduction! I enjoyed every single page of the book. and the book is not just a great textbook about computer networks, but also a great example of how teaching should be! You could always feel the tutors by your side, you could feel they have been in your place and understand your confusion and misunderstandings. So if you need a book to learn how to teach, I think this is a great example of it too.
Nikolas Mavrogeneiadis
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting book which contains much information about networking. I think that some chapters should have more explanation but it's not a big problem. This book has a website which has 2D examples(like flow control) and these helped me to understand some significant things better. Also the exercises are very good.
Sepehr
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
best available and a very usefull course in computer engineering ! ive read the 2013 edition which i didnt find here ! any how , fluent and easy to understand , i haven't given many 5 stars but this sure deserves it
Ryan West
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very in-depth overview of every layer of networking. I loved how many references to papers it provided for those interested in learning more about a particular subject. I'm definitely keeping this one around as reference whenever I need to understand something in the networking stack.
Khánh Phạm
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the book I put on my summer reading list. It basically brings you a fundamental knowledge about computer network system to more advance topics on network security and network application. It is well-presented, must-read book for a computer noob.
Chris Seltzer
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm still in search of a truly great book on networking. This one does a good enough job and I like the 'flip the model' approach of going top-down. But it tries to include topical material which means that it ends up being dated quickly.
Asma Almalki
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand, much redundancy in the book
Lou
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent textbook for CIS students who want to get into the details of networking in a Masters Degree program.
Ngọc Nguyên
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for learning computer network infrastructure
Pham Nghia
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best introductory book on the topic of Computer Networking
Tobias Ørstad
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good analogies that makes a lot of technical topics easier to understand, but also has so many acronyms that keeping track of them all becomes impossible. Overall good book for getting the basics.
Alex Wood
Can any one book every cover the whole of networking? Well this does a good job, although long out of date now.
Leland William
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, an excellent primer on how computer networks function. Not too detailed, but full of interesting and lively discussion!
Denise Vasak
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
If this is your career, this book was great. For a beginner, the infinite number of details made my brain hurt.
Sara
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I read the 7th edition for a introductory networking course. A lot of the Wireshark labs need updating.
Sofie Giocante
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
I should have read this book at the BEGINNING of my career. On the other hand, after 10 YEARS experience I may appreciate it even more.
Pratham Gupta
Great book to kick off your career in the field of Computer Networking, cybersecurity or related fields.
RorSpike
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coding
A very good book to know the fundamental things about network.
Manu Shaurya
Best one out to learn Networks if you're a beginner
« previous 1 3 next »

• Modern Operating Systems
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces
  • Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »