Start by marking “Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach” as Want to Read:
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach

Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach

Building on the successful top-down approach of previous editions, the Fourth Edition of Computer Networking continues with an early emphasis on application-layer paradigms and application programming interfaces, encouraging a hands-on experience with protocols and networking concepts. With this edition, Kurose and Ross bring the issues of network security to the forefron ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 880 pages
Published March 23rd 2007 by Addison Wesley (first published November 2000)

Anton Petrov
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anton by: RWTH University
It's an amazing book about Computer Networking. Gave me a great in-depth intuition of how the Internet works and all such networks in general.

The approach from the Application layer downwards was just the right one for me. I had tried to learn computer networks before - starting from the lowest layer - and didn't get very far. I was lost and bored by all the details. The cherry of the cake was not coming any time soon. Starting from the cherry (this book's approach) really spiced my appetite fo
Zori
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice and understandable. Makes you excited about the Internet. I enjoy reading the interviews featured in every chapter (like the one with Marc Andreessen included in the sixth edition).
YouKneeK
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-textbook
This textbook was required reading for a Computer Networking course. As far as college textbooks go, it was pretty good. I learned the material from it that I needed to learn. The textbook was well-organized, and it was easy to understand. It had quite a few analogies and real-world examples that aided in understanding.

For me, this textbook was a pretty dry read and I sometimes had trouble pushing through the weekly reading assignments. However, networks are not an aspect of Computer Science th
Karel Baloun
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Re 7th edition)

The authors successfully make the deep details of networking understandable and even easy to read.

Love the “a day in the life of a webpage request”, which listed the 24 exact detailed steps that a packet takes between an ethernet card, a Web server and it’s returned. (p501-505)

Chapter 8 on security leaves a lot to be desired… It’s really about how security is designed to ideally function, but omits all the real world problems. Similarly the last chapters on mobile and multimedia
Anne-Laure
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, excellent book on networks and protocols. Their explanations are precise and clear, and answer nearly all questions one might have on the topics brought up. Even the latter chapters, which touch more generally on things employed in networks but not necessarily being a core part of them, offer a broad and curiosity-inducing view, whilst also providing further readings if one is interested in diving more deeply in said topic.
Daniel
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best technical books I've read. It explains concepts in a very clear manner and it often uses analogies which help to enforce the material (i.e. making connection to things you already know will help in retaining the material). The approach it takes, as per title, is a top down approach which I find to prefer over a bottom-up one. It starts with an overview of networking then proceeds from the "Application Layer", adding more and more details as the chapters progress. This boo ...more
Roberto!
Aug 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my enemies.
Shelves: sludge-factory
Only an idiot would read this book.
Parnell
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book, I learned a lot from it. I think Chapters 3 and 4 and 5 were the gems; Chapter 3 covered transport-layer protocols and TCP specifically in pretty good depth, Chapters 4 and 5 covered the networking layer split into a chapter on the Data Plane (Ch. 4) and the Control Plane (Ch. 5).

I felt disappointed in Chapter 8, I wish it had much more depth than it did.

Overall, I recommend this book for a good introductory and broad education in computer networking. It's also useful suppl
Rishabh Kumar
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A better one would have been the bottom up approach. In the beginning of the book it starts to explain the concept of routing and the interconnection of the networks. If a reader has no prior knowledge about networks then he will be scratching his head. In my case i did not even know the actual difference between the router and the switch, where does routing actually takes place, on which layer, which addressing is used. The book directly jumps into the application layer without even giving the ...more
Saman Nourkhalaj
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: درسی
نمیتونم بگم کتاب بدی بود. برای کسی که دانش پایه و درک و شناخت کلی از شبکه داره خوندن این کتاب کمک زیادی به فهم عمیقتر و جزییترش میکنه. اما برای کسی که از صفر داره شروع میکنه ممکنه اذیتکننده و زننده باشه.
بزرگترین مشکل کتاب زیاد بودن تکرار مکرراتشه. مفهومی رو که ابتدای صفحه توضیح داده، انتهای صفحه دوباره «کامل» توضیح میده و برای خواننده ملال آورش میکنه.
البته لازمه بگم تمرینات برنامهنویسی و وایرشارک انتهای هر فصل خالی از لطف نیستن.
Nikolas Mavrogeneiadis
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting book which contains much information about networking. I think that some chapters should have more explanation but it's not a big problem. This book has a website which has 2D examples(like flow control) and these helped me to understand some significant things better. Also the exercises are very good.
Lou
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent textbook for CIS students who want to get into the details of networking in a Masters Degree program.
Asma Almalki
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand, much redundancy in the book
Gilvane Eduardo
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
90% of the book readed.
Ngọc Nguyên
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for learning computer network infrastructure
Pham Nghia
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best introductory book on the topic of Computer Networking
Erwin
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een goed boek over computernetwerken. Wie net zo goed met computers zoals ik ben wil worden moet het zeker van kaft tot kaft lezen.
Tanuj
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
[ 4.0/5 ]
Dr-kholoud Elbatsh
the best textbook for computer networking courses
Marcin
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs-it
Great form of an introduction to the networking field, perhaps a little too simplified for an IT student, but overtly simplistic enough for someone embarking on the journey down the bit-stream. This might be the books strength, since the harder topics are easily described and easier do not need any real-life translations. The book follows the idea of top-down approach through both ranges of topics discussed and the language used, as the abstraction level is further abstracted to real-life termin ...more
rigelk
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
The top-down approach is here the key to the book’s success, and the main reason you should read it. It begins with what we see of networks to introduce more abstract concepts (ISO 7498), keeping only the useful parts of them. A must read to understand networks in general from the ground down.

For students, the book provides very useful exercises, making that book a good side-course asset. Plus the approach lets you choose what you want to read! (i.e. reading 50% and getting away with it for the
Kadir Korkmaz
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bilgisayar ağları üzerine eğlenceli, anlatımı güzel bir kitap.

Rhapsody
Mar 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: compsci students with no/little exposure to networks
Shelves: science, nonfiction
A really nice textbook. Each chapter covers a different network layer. It's very readable with pretty decent explanations and lots of online resources (not that I used those resources even once, but our prof used some of them in class). The traceroute drills I found totally useless and annoying. The rest of the homework problems from the book weren't too bad. It's not a really high-level book or anything, but it's pretty thorough it breadth. One of my peers who'd worked in networks (in industry) ...more
Thomas
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will give you a good understanding of how networks work. In my opinion it is not a book for specialists as you won't have an in-depth presentation of every protocol except for TCP/UDP/IP, but it can be used as a reference for those who have to deal with some network issues (if you are a programmer for instance).
Rafael Magalhães
Excelente introdução ao contexto de Redes de Computadores e a Internet. A abordagem é especialmente boa para estudantes de ciencias da computação em seus primeiros períodos, que estão ávidos por programação. As entrevistas e questões de estudo são ótimos complementos para auxiliar o leitor.
Recomendo!
Fay Wu
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finally learned how the internet works! Quality book for giving an amazing overview of the different concepts and protocols used in networking and an explanation for why our web is implemented in the way it is. It's the textbook we used for my networking fundamentals class at school and it was fun and easy to read.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer, educational
This book is amazingly compressive, yet understandable. I must say that I learned more than I ever imagined about networking. Seeing that my job is web development, I was amazed at how little I actually knew about the infrastructure and design of the internet and the protocols which it operates on.
Saeed
Do you have any advice for students about the Internet and networking security?
Learning the mechanisms is the easy part. Learning how to "think paranoid" is harder. You have to remember that probability distributions don't apply -the attackers can and will find improbable conditions. And the details matter -a lot.
Antonio Costa
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend it. Very good for students, because of the way things are explained. Good pedagogical approach, even considering the uncommon top down approach (for applications to physical layer). It is very difficult to teach communications while traversing the protocol stack from top to bottom! I clearly prefer the bottom up. Yet the book is useful for both approaches.
Moataz
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very nice book, which introduces the computer networking in a very good manner, but the only one drawback of the book that it gives a lot of examples which made reading and studying this book takes longer time.
  • Operating System Concepts
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Engineering a Compiler
  • Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Algorithm Design
  • C++: How to Program
  • Java Software Solutions (Java 5.0 version): Foundations of Program Design
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »