Start by marking “Gone with the Wind, Part 2” as Want to Read:
Gone with the Wind, Part 2

Gone with the Wind, Part 2

[Penguin Readers Level 4]

The American South has lost the Civil War and Scarlett O'Hara must work very hard to get her old life back for her family and herself, yet she has no money. Rhett Butler is rich, but is soon to be hanged for murder, and Ashley Wilkes, the man she loves, is married to another woman.
Paperback
Published December 1st 1999 by Pearson Education (first published 1936)

Start your review of Gone with the Wind, Part 2
Annikin
Aaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I hated and loved every single character. I don't know what to do with these feelings.
Chrissy
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn about the South's perspective of the Civil War
Recommended to Chrissy by: My teacher Ms. Madhi
Character Analysis: Mammy

Short & chubby, with a voice like thunder, when she talks; everyone listens. I guess you think that the woman is a white Southern belle, but you’re wrong. Mammy is the house servant for the O’Hara and Butler family. It’s not mention in the film of her correct age but Mammy was about in her mid- forties during the Civil War.
As a character, Mammy’s personality can best be described as ignorant and outspoken. When first seeing Mammy in the second scene, she’s calling
Traci
Oct 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in high school when I found it at the parents' house whose child I babysat. So, every time I went over, if Josh was in bed, I'd read it. I was able to read the whole thing over one summer.

I read it mostly because of all the cultural references, not so much because I am a fan of romance novels. It definitely has a certain resonance. After reading it, there is obviously a romantic element in the book but the setting (the South) in the Civil War was a great backdrop. It sort of puts you
Falcon
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Falcon by: my mom
This book is an American classic. It is a wonderful story that comes to life and makes you feel like you have lived it. Scarlett O'Hara is an amazing character that you can easily identify with. The lessons she learns from her life experiences are priceless and by the time you are finished reading it, it will feel like you have gone through everything she has. The descriptions and characters are amazingly well written. Taking place during the Civil War, it is a tear jerker and will leave you ...more
Tanya
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The character Scarlet was so self absorbed that I found the first third of the book a bit of a chore but then as the book went on I really appreciated the attention that was paid to character development. I think I really lived the story through Scarlets eyes. What a fabulously sad story. It was difficult to see the inhumanities of that time so vulgarly exposed and at times celebrated. Despite hating scarlet through much of the book reading Gone with the Wind is an experience I will never ...more
K.L.
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God I love this book so much! Alternately annoyed and delighted by Scarlett, Rhett, Ashley and Melanie, I have just had to buy the sequel - just so that Rhett and Scarlett can have a happy ever after! A really heavy book, but so enjoyable, happy, funny, tragic and sometimes so very sad - all the ingredients of a fantastic book set in such an epic setting! Lots of food for thought!!
Anupriya Sharma
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book two days ago, and it is so well written. I enjoyed it through and through! Makes me wonder what took me so long to get around to reading it. It’s now one of my favorite books.I could talk about this book forever , but suffice it to say that it’s one that I will love forever!Looking forward to watching the movie now...!!
Danielle
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
At 41 discs long this might be the longest audiobook I've listened to but every piece of it was incredible. The narrator, Linda Stephens, didn't just read this, she truly performed it.

The book itself is epic and beautifully written.
Vika
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Level 4 - Intermediate - 1650 words
I like it very much.
Karīna Meldere
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nabiya
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was racist; it was sexist, but the writing was good.
Realini
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, read-again

Gone with The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
This novel has everything you could wish for and more- love and hate, War and Peace, embryonic feminism, slavery issues, bravery, humor, a wonderful plot and I have only started naming a few attractions- for the whole it would take many pages.

One of the best books ever that has inspired one of the best films, this is a rare chance.
Scarlett O’Hara is one of the best heroines and also one of the bravest, most resilient and determined characters that have been
HonokaAndo
1. level 4
2. November 1. 50min 3.20min 4.60min 5.30min
3.love,war,death,money,children,men,reputation
4. a)Scarlet had no money because of the high taxes. She did awful things for money. She was storonger than anybody. She didnot care other's opinion. She saved his home, Melanie and Ashley.
b) I felt sad the last scene. Scarlet knoticed she is loving Butler. However it is too late to feel and explain. She could not get neither Ashlay nor Butler. I think Butler is poor man. He was asked marry by her
Risa Horiuchi
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
publisher Penguin Level 4

date 4/ 30 36minutes 5/1 58 minutes
tax
farmer cotten cry love earth money war

Do you think whitch is important money or love
I think love is more important than money

this story is very romantic story.scattle love a man but problem of maney and wor prevent their love. I hope they can love each other freely. But I haven' t read end of thisbook, I m looking forward to this book.

date 5/5 37minutes 5/8 52minutes

money gun poison life kiss party love

Are you opposed
Michelle
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book through at least four times. Though it has dated themes about slavery and the South in general it is a wonderful read. One must remember to read this book in the context of the time period during which it was written as well as the historical period of the novel. The characters have well-drawn and one feels as if one knows them. Scarlet is especially intriguing -- a young woman fighting the conventions of her time, paying the price for her rebellion. Now here is a thought ...more
Natasha
Aug 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why people love this story about a proud, arrogant, selfish woman to whom nothing good ever happens and that ends in despair and hopelessness. The book is one racist, trash mouthed adventure of one tale of despair after another all to a character that (I, at least) was completely unsympathetic towards. I'm not really a tragedy sort of reader, though, so I'm sure if you love hopelessness and despair, this is the book for you. Contrarily, I do enjoy the movie.
Stacie
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I really enjoyed this book, despite the "N" word and the Lord's name being taken in vain so often. I can't wait to read the sequel "Scarlet" to find out what happens next. Well worth the time it took to get through it! If you enjoyed the movie you really should read this book. SO SO SO much was left out, more than any other book/movie comparison I have experienced before.
Sangeetha
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiddle dee Dee!! So glad I finally read this classic... MM has such clarity of thought when she describes the characters and the setting,it is hard not to imagine the scenes right before your eyes... Set in the familiar Georgia cities minus the modern day landmarks made it a much more interesting read for me..

Bilyana Petrova
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colleenkuwana
Apr 22, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I laugh out loud at this book. It is the most entertaining book I have read in a long long time. The characters are wonderfully developed. I love that! I am actually listening to this as I exercise and do my yard work. It made planting potatoes fun. It is a thick book and the audiobook is almost 49 hours long. We will see how long it take me to do my yard work anyway.
Roua
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, classics
The second part was also mesmerising.
To be completely honest, I have to say that I liked this better than the first. While the previous part worked as an introduction of characters, this one developped them and gave them another dimension. I clearly remember the torrent of emotions I experienced because of this book. It was enchanting.
It left me breathless. In need for more.
hima saki
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the American South has lost the civil war.
Scarlett has to work hard to build up her life again,but she has no money.the handsome Rhett Butler is rich,but he is soon to be hanged for murder.and Ashley is married now...
Nada I 240511
OMG .. she is so selfesh she wants everyone to stay with her!!!!

Oh finally she realized that she loves Rhett Bulter. But when did she realized? When Ashely disappeared. OMG how selfish and *** is she? I really love Rhett Bulter because he did the right thing and left her.
Sue
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Mom and I used to go see the movie every year when I was a kid. Now we read the book every year beginning on May 1st - it is a great read. Kind of corny but she is 1,000 miles away and 91 and still reads a book every 3 days. It is our little tradition.
Nancy Davis
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes tragic romances
Recommended to Nancy by: mommy
This was the book that made me enjoy reading. I will always love it for that. I also love the charaters. Well written, I cried, I was angry and I laughed. I also learned alot of history. That is how I like to learn history.
Melanie Metz
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Fantastic, timeless, beautifully written!! Definitely deserved the Pulitzer!! The characters draw such strong reaction from the reader and the description of the scenery make you feel like you are there! Well worth the time spent!!
Jen
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I first read this book when I was 14 years old. I immediately fell in love with it.

I read it at least twice a year. My poor paperback copy is falling apart. It is, without a doubt, my favorite book of all time.

Whittney
A great classic that takes you back in time to the Civil War Era. Very similar to the movie. A little hard to enjoy and read for me because I felt that there was too much description. It will always be a classic and Mitchell did a great job.
Namiko
I had to read Gone with the Wind part two because there wasn't one part one in the library. But I already saw the movie so there was no problem to read it. It is really sad when you have a person who you really love, but you cannot have him.
Shokufeh شکوفه  Kavani کاوانی
I have to admit that I don't like Scarlet but this book has shaped the love fantasy of few generations of women , although it is a good naration of America's civil war.
« previous 1 3 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: 경마사이트 M A 892 점 NET 6 22 Jul 09, 2019 05:13PM

• Отнесени от вихъра - Първа книга
  • Scarlett
  • Gone With the Wind: the Definitive Illustrated History of the Book, the Movie, and the Legend
  • The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film
  • Rhett Butler's People
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • Gone with the Wind
  • North and South (North and South, #1)
  • Gone with the Wind and Scarlett-2 Vol. Boxed Set
  • Wuthering Heights, Agnès Grey & Villette
  • ANNA KARENINA
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Madame Bovary de Gustave Flaubert
John Escott started by writing children's books and comic scripts, but now writes and adapts books for students of all ages. He especially enjoys writing crime and mystery thrillers, and is a member of the British Crime Writers Association.

With Oxford University Press John has published London for the Oxford Bookworms Factfile series; Agatha Christie, Woman of Mystery, Star Reporter, Girl on a
“Scarlett permitted the embrace - because in the dark smoke- fill the kitchen, there had been born a greater respect for her sister in law, a closer feeling of comradeship.” 4 likes
“Жизнь не обязана давать нам то, чего мы ждём. Надо брать то, что она даёт, и быть благодарным уже за то, что это так, а не хуже.” 0 likes